Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:04:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Baby's First Armageddon 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Baby's First Armageddon  (Read 14730 times)
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: April 22, 2008, 12:48:49 PM

It will be pretty useless in a mission with a dedicated salvager on standby.
You'll probably be better off dps wise with a fitting mod instead of the heatsink and another gun/launcher
Hey, what's the salvage rig do? I have a dedicated salvager, the blueprints for that rig, and the parts -- is it worth fitting?

I was under the impression that Salvage, plus all the rigs and associated skills, mostly just reduced salvage cycle time. Do any of them increase the odds of getting 'better' or 'more' salvage?
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #36 on: April 22, 2008, 12:58:49 PM

Faster is better, less time salvaging is more time missioning, etc.

Kitsune: Do you already have Weapon Upgrades 5? Bumping that another point if its not will give you a hefty decrease in CPU on a battleship.
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: April 22, 2008, 01:11:31 PM

Do any of them increase the odds of getting 'better' or 'more' salvage?
Not as far as I know, as Nerf said, they only make salvaging faster.
I think it was Ianc who said that the survey skill also reduces the cycle time on a salvager. You can salvage any wreck in game with salvaging IV, I don't know if V would give you more salvage. I'm pretty sure that the type of salvage you get is random, the amount is based on the size of the wreck. T2 wrecks are a lot harder to salvage, with my salvaging IV they take about 10 cycles of a single salvager on average.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: April 22, 2008, 01:26:06 PM

You'll probably be better off dps wise with a fitting mod instead of the heatsink and another gun/launcher

I thought that too, but EFT is adamant that I have more DPS with a Heat Sink II than I'd get with swapping the heatsink out for a co-processor to make room for an extra turret.

Kitsune: Do you already have Weapon Upgrades 5? Bumping that another point if its not will give you a hefty decrease in CPU on a battleship.

Yep, Weapon Upgrades 5, Advanced Weapon Upgrades 3.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #39 on: April 22, 2008, 01:30:41 PM

So are you short one gun with the lowest CPU req guns, or with the standard t1?  I'd also drop the low sensor amp, signal amps really don't help that much, another t2 heatsink (or maybe co-proc and another gun) would be better imho.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #40 on: April 22, 2008, 02:40:02 PM

Hey, what's the salvage rig do? I have a dedicated salvager, the blueprints for that rig, and the parts -- is it worth fitting?

I was under the impression that Salvage, plus all the rigs and associated skills, mostly just reduced salvage cycle time. Do any of them increase the odds of getting 'better' or 'more' salvage?
Salvaging rigs aren't worth it IMHO. They do reduce the average time to salvage a wreck but the improvement is marginal and the costs are high so the value isn't there for me. My salvage Catalyst is fitted with cap recharge rigs so I can keep all four salvagers and all four tractors running constantly and still be cap stable.

Nothing AFAIK increases your chance of getting loot. It's a random roll made at the point where your salvager is successful. You can be successful and still not get anything however, 'success' simply means that your salvager has collapsed the wave function of the wreck and determined whether or not it has anything in it. The only things you can affect are increasing your chance of 'success' (as previously defined) or decreasing the cycle time on the salvager. Salvagers count as scanners so Survey skill will reduce the cycle time, as will salvage rigs. Salvage skill increases the chance of resolution.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #41 on: April 22, 2008, 03:41:21 PM

There's a list of types of salvage that each ship drops.  For instance, I have never gotten an alloyed tritanium bar while salvaging sansha wrecks.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: April 22, 2008, 04:32:07 PM

So are you short one gun with the lowest CPU req guns, or with the standard t1?  I'd also drop the low sensor amp, signal amps really don't help that much, another t2 heatsink (or maybe co-proc and another gun) would be better imho.

In order to fit a seventh mega modulated energy turret, I'd need to throw in a rig for my grid capacity in addition to keeping the co-processor.  I have the skills for a grid rig trained, but to this point I've never used rigging on any of my ships.  Didn't seem to make much sense to stick a 15+ mil rig on a 6 mil cruiser, somehow.
Mook
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: April 23, 2008, 12:21:15 AM

However, sticking a 15mil rig on a 100mil Battleship that you're not going to loose anytime soon because it's a mission boat makes slightly more sense.

Basicly rigs are like cybernetic implants, but for your ship and not your brain.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 12:23:28 AM by Mook »
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: April 23, 2008, 07:26:04 AM

However, sticking a 15mil rig on a 100mil Battleship that you're not going to loose anytime soon because it's a mission boat makes slightly more sense.

Basicly rigs are like cybernetic implants, but for your ship and not your brain.
I rig all my missioning ships -- and my ratting Myrmidion is rigged (it used to be my missioning BC) and I've got rigs for my ratting Domi (but I made them myself). I wouldn't rig a PvP ship though, not until I have a LOT more cash or I'm just dripping salvage parts.

I'll probably rig my salvaging destroyer, simply because I can. :)
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #45 on: April 23, 2008, 07:30:35 AM

Rigging, yet another skill that I need to take time out of my l33t DPS training to work on.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: April 23, 2008, 07:43:45 AM

Rigging, yet another skill that I need to take time out of my l33t DPS training to work on.

Sentry Damage Augmentor I.  I think 10% Damage for ~15mil and 3d training is pretty in-line with l33t DPS training Ohhhhh, I see..

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #47 on: April 23, 2008, 08:01:00 AM

Hmm. Combining that with the optimal range rig would make Gardes useful for ratting.  They'd be doing more damage than Ogres without having to deal with the awful travel times.  I may have just been converted.
ClydeJr
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: April 23, 2008, 08:40:16 AM

There's a list of types of salvage that each ship drops.  For instance, I have never gotten an alloyed tritanium bar while salvaging sansha wrecks.
http://games.chruker.dk/eve_online/salvaging.php (IGB safe)
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: April 23, 2008, 08:47:50 AM

Sentry Damage Augmentor I.  I think 10% Damage for ~15mil and 3d training is pretty in-line with l33t DPS training Ohhhhh, I see..
Wish I'd seen that one. I'm running a Cap Control Circuit and dual drone speed augmentors (or possible speed/damage augmentors) on my Domi. Ogres are slow.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: April 23, 2008, 09:14:38 AM

Hmm. Combining that with the optimal range rig would make Gardes useful for ratting.  They'd be doing more damage than Ogres without having to deal with the awful travel times.  I may have just been converted.

Throw a couple of Omni links in the mids while you're at it and they may even be able to track frigs...

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
dwindlehop
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: April 25, 2008, 10:14:33 AM

if anyone has any grand wisdom to share about PvP, I'd be happy to listen to that, too.
Geddon is happiest with passive armor tank and heat sinks. The Amarr philosophy is that everyone is going to die, but the other guy might as well go first.

Nothing sucks worse than being the metaphorical halfling when faced with the metaphorical dragon blob from the old halfling-dragon principle, "When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the dragon, you just have to outrun the halfling." That said, a geddon provides great midrange fire support for a small squad that is prepared to accommodate its brickiness and lack of reps.

It makes a cost-effective sniper as well, though your ability to solopwn stuff is very limited. I've been harassed by a sniper geddon while flying a Rupture and a Rifter and he just couldn't take me out.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: May 04, 2008, 01:50:20 AM

I've started cross-training up in Gallente ships and hybrid turrets, as their ships are fairly pleasant-looking while usually carrying a set of nice drone bonuses.  At least, they aren't godawful-hideous like Minmatar and Caldari stuff.  Not that I'm in any position to run out and buy a Dominix so soon after getting myself set up in a Geddon, but once I get the disposable cash to add more ships to my stable I'll grab a couple of Gallente ships for the heck of it.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #53 on: May 04, 2008, 03:36:25 AM

I've started cross-training up in Gallente ships and hybrid turrets, as their ships are fairly pleasant-looking while usually carrying a set of nice drone bonuses.  At least, they aren't godawful-hideous like Minmatar and Caldari stuff.  Not that I'm in any position to run out and buy a Dominix so soon after getting myself set up in a Geddon, but once I get the disposable cash to add more ships to my stable I'll grab a couple of Gallente ships for the heck of it.
If your drone skills are already up to speed and you just need to get the ship command skills then the Vexxor and the Myrmidon are skill point friendly but very effective choices. You can't drop five heavies out of a Myrmidon unfortunately but 5 Ogre IIs will make short work of anything smaller than a BS. If you take Gallente Cruiser to 5 then an Ishtar is just sex.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: May 06, 2008, 03:59:47 PM

I've started cross-training up in Gallente ships and hybrid turrets, as their ships are fairly pleasant-looking while usually carrying a set of nice drone bonuses.

tbh, as far as I can see there is no good reason for anyone pveing not to train Gallente and Drones. But do you really need hybrid turrets? Most of the time you're only using the guns to attract aggro, so you might as well use the lasers you're already trained for? Unless you've really beaten drone training to death? And I'd imagine you can cancel out the Drone ship hybrid bonus by spending the time you would have spent on hybrid training on even more laser training?

Anyway, being able to salvage and kill at the same time because the drones just do their shit without micromanagement is full of win.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #55 on: May 06, 2008, 04:14:21 PM

Beyond that, the Myrmidon doesn't get gun bonuses anyway, so the only reason NOT to use your lasers on it would be cap stability.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Baby's First Armageddon  
Jump to: