Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 10:53:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Sci-Fi Channel MMO? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sci-Fi Channel MMO?  (Read 4314 times)
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

on: June 02, 2008, 12:06:46 PM

So will this be like an unholy union of an MMO and reality TV?  I can't wait to see what happens if Something Awful gets wind of this!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Over and out.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 12:18:52 PM

While this will more than likely crash and burn, it's a pretty grand idea.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 12:34:36 PM

Here is something funny, and half of you wont believe me. I was contracted to work on a project (somewhat) just like this (they contacted me through Freelance channels referd by others i had worked with).....

Basically, During the show a lot (Most) of the back ground was to be CG (blue/green screen), the GC being the "game" that users are logging into. So around this...uh, show, was a "live" crowd of "players", they in turn see "The show" on their screens as well as others (created using hundreds of cameras on the stage/studio). Outside of the "show" was a world with other activities.

It didn't pan out for them, but i did make quite a few assets for them, and, most likely part of the problem was i was the only one of the project that had any 3d background, i found that out later.  Ohhhhh, I see. I wonder if this is what they went on to conceive after it didn't pan out (due to technical difficulty! WHO KNEW!)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 12:38:38 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 12:41:16 PM

While this will more than likely crash and burn, it's a pretty grand idea.

I don't see how the creators of the Sci-Fi Channel Original Movie could possibly get this wrong!  awesome, for real

Over and out.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 03:27:20 PM

You must have Faith little raven.

Okie, I don't either.  It could be fun to watch it crash and burn if they make it that far through production.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 03:36:00 PM

Originally, Sci-Fi had planned a similar project for Battlestar Gallactica, but instead decided to start fresh.
FAIL

Typical bureaucratic decision: why be stymied by one of the only two successful IPs we've ever had and instead try something that nobody's ever seen nor heard of before, because we are so well known for putting out quality new IPs that engage and excite our fans?

And who's Trion?

Yea, yer right, get the popcorn. This is a car-fire waiting for a train to hit it.
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 06:32:19 PM

It's not important enough to be a train wreck worth watching. You sound starved for drama between this and your vision of the AoC Servers (which is solely contained to a handful of PVP servers and the same brand of gaming dickheads we've seen since the 80s).

Might I recommend watching Gray's Anatomy?

Anyway. We already have a Battlestar MMOG. Eve. BSG is just a political drama disguised as sci-fi. And Eve is political drama disguised as a boring game.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 06:48:44 PM

It's not important enough to be a train wreck worth watching. You sound starved for drama between this and your vision of the AoC Servers

Nah, that hilarity is just watching history repeat itself. Probably the same reaction veterans had back when people like me were stumbling into UO all wide-eyed. The numbers change, but the reactions are predictable. Statistical thing maybe.

This one pissed me off because they have two IPs that a) are already good; and, b) would be a good formula for trying this. I discounted BSG at the outset not because of Eve (good sci-fi MMO, not a mythically-driven linear narrative by any stretch), but because they decided to let the show end. So I was more pissed they didn't just leverage Stargate, an MMO already under development. I don't watch the show, but at least there's the sort of synergy this type of concept requires.

Instead, they're relying on the same network that puts out nonsense like SS Doomtrooper to make a compelling IP, when they merely reimagined the two strong ones they inherited, by working with a company that doesn't have a history of MMO work, like, at all (Trion seems more like an advergaming company... sure lotta funding though).

Maybe its not really as shiny to watch fail as Vanguard. But this sort of convergence has been coming for awhile and I'd like to see a real attempt made at it.
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 07:17:29 PM

Stargate is a poor man's Planescape in terms of settings. And BSG is a poor man's Eve.

Seriously, Sci-Fi as a brand has no place in MMOGs.

That's pretty much the last and only word on it. They simply don't have the stable of interesting products needed to leverage (or even warrant) a foray into this genre.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 07:29:45 PM

I don't think this has anything to do with brands though. It's the game idea itself that's trying to be sold here. Not any particular thing to do with the Sci-Fi channel (as of yet).

Whoever pulls such a thing off (not saying Sci-Fi would) will have something pretty cool on their hands. There's a lot of funny shit that happens in mmo's... Whether it be the exploits of certain pk's in UO/Eve/SB, the cybering shenanigans of all of the Cecils out there, Leeroy Jenkins, Fansy, what the fuck ever.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 08:33:30 PM

I love the naivety of people who don't think the players will endlessly fuck with them.

The first time they have any direct interaction with the series, it better not be live. I'd love to see them figure out how to have players actually in the background on a live show since someone will bot 200 characters and have them stand in a formation that spells "FAT COCKS".

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 09:50:57 PM

Which is exactly why this IS worth watching develop. Even if you have no faith in the network, its the first real attempt to fuse the two mediums that I am aware of, and watching and learning lessons remotely is incredibly valuable. Plus, it could actually work -- they are putting the MMO into a more familiar medium.

Grimwell
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 01:52:46 AM

Sci-Fi channel sucks.  I'd rather see a Mythbusters MMO!
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 02:39:45 AM

Sci-Fi channel had the Dune miniseries at least.

Oh, and...umm... Painkiller Jane is kind of a guilty pleasure, I guess (Vaugier is hot...in the movie version I mean. Never seen the series, but Kristanna Loken ain't bad at all either).
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 04:49:11 AM

Painkiller Jane is intolerable. Possibly the worst show I've ever seen.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 05:54:15 AM

The only IP that i think would lend itself nicely to this sort of thing.

The world already has the knowledge of the real world, and how its integrated into it.....well... In it lore anyway.

The ReBoot series.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 05:55:57 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 07:47:26 AM

So in the Sci-Fi MMOG, will one of the instance bosses be Mansquito? Because that'd be le awesome.

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 01:11:33 PM

If the game was populated by the characters in their slew of shitty movies, I will happily subscribe to beat each and every one of them with a ball-peen hammer.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 01:40:46 PM

I like the idea but they are complicating things for nothing.  They could simply share an IP, like Viva Pinata, and achieve the same result.

EDIT : And Reeboot would make a great IP.  Lots of excuse for good instancing.
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 03:01:28 PM

Reboot would be the ugliest fucking game ever. Nothing can change that godawful art style. Fugly to the max. Extreme ugly. Mountain Dew Ugly.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Sci-Fi Channel MMO?  
Jump to: