Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:11:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: skills 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: skills  (Read 5043 times)
dwindlehop
Terracotta Army

on: January 24, 2008, 09:59:10 AM

I was going to write a little missive about how much of Eve is twitch or player skill. Things like onboard scanning, keeping up your transversal, acting as proper bait, and bumping ships off the gate or station all require skills for which there is no skillbook. I spent a couple hours last night in my Stiletto interceptor, which is a twitchy ship as far as these things go. My strength is scan resolution, which means I need to click faster in order to utilize my strength.

http://www.blackguardcoalition.org/killboard/?a=kill_related&kll_id=695

However, people are too stupid. Too stupid! I have run hostile camps in 7Q several times. I made a series of safespots in system so I can approach the Khabi gate and scan their gang without exposing myself. If I warp into a bubble, I do it at an odd angle (like straight down) so that I don't come in where they expect. I only do this if I have a fast enough ship. If they have some fast webbers, I log off and do other things.

Smart enemies do this as well. Or send in alts to run the gatecamp and get blown up. Or send in alts to scan us, wait for an opening when we decided to leave the gate briefly, and run in their Rapiers (happened last week).

Not so smart enemies pop in to check our camp and think they have the skill to escape. A lucky Crow buzzed our gatecamp. He got caught in the bubble and I applied my web, but I overshot him and went out of web range. He burned out of the bubble with barely any HP left.

A not so lucky speed-fit Taranis was scouting for a nano gang with several Vagabonds and interceptors. I had learned from my previous experience and handled the approach differently. This time I held on the web on, did not get out of range, and he was stuck. The Vaga gang declined to engage.

http://www.blackguardcoalition.org/killboard/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=710

What smart enemies do not do is run in several hundred million isk in salvage materials without scouting in a Rifter.

http://www.blackguardcoalition.org/killboard/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=691

Or run potentially more than four billion isk in a noob ship with no microwarpdrive or any speed or tank mods whatsoever into a empire entrance with 8 hostiles sitting in local. He didn't even come from empire. He saw us in local and decided to warp in anyway.

http://www.blackguardcoalition.org/killboard/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=695

The true value of what was lost is hard to determine because it depends on the number of runs and the material and production efficiency of the blueprints. I suspect it is worth less than a billion. If we cash out the loot I'll let you guys know.

People worry about never being able to catch up to Eve veterans in skill points because of the way the training system works. All you need to succeed in Eve is a steady hand and intelligence. SP is optional.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 10:06:14 AM

Holy Christ. People are stupid! STUPID! Why, why would you do that? Ibis? Like a gatecamp's going to ignore you because you're in an ibis?
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 11:16:36 AM

Since this seems to be about stupid people...

One of the first times I went into low-sec in my trusty rifter, I jumped into a low sec system and noticed another frigate at the gate. A couple of seconds later he opens fire. The gate guns tear him up in no time. I open up his wreck and its filled with skillbooks, about 150 mil worth of skillbooks.
Thing is, aside from the fact the gate guns would have blown him up in any case, he deserves a special darwinian mention because he never even targeted or shot at me. He targeted and shot the gate, leaving him in a pod and me in a position to multiply  my cash by about 100.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 11:18:15 AM

Holy Christ. People are stupid! STUPID! Why, why would you do that? Ibis? Like a gatecamp's going to ignore you because you're in an ibis?
Offhand, I'm not sure how I'd move that much in blueprints. I think I'd start with "Not all at once" and "Not in a fucking Ibis".

Hell, maybe I'd use the contract system and let some other schmuck do the bulk of it (all the ones I could buy replacements for) and only move the ones that would be irreplaceable myself.
dwindlehop
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 11:41:32 AM

Honestly, a ten minute old alt would save you 99% of the time. We hate the guys with alts. :)

Covops with MWD is a pain to catch. I'm not saying we don't do it, but it's harder.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 12:48:51 PM

Came from Jita maybe?  Turned off noob ships in his own overview, and forgot that doesn't make you invisible to *other* people?

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 01:24:28 PM

I have always wondered:  if you Buy one of those really small, secured cargo containers (the password locked type ones), load it up with all your low volume / high value goodies (like salvage and blueprints) and then load THAT into your ship.  if your ship gets popped, when they loot the cargo container out of the wreckage, can they open it? or is it still password locked?  Would they need to find a hacker or something to crack the code to open it?  How exactly does that work?

Also, what exactly do you mean by "onboard scanning".  I understand transversal, and have a general idea about acting as bait, gate / station bumping and the like, but that first one went swooshing right over my head.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 01:27:38 PM by SurfD »

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
dwindlehop
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 01:39:31 PM

By onboard scanner I meant the bulitin directional scanner right by the tactical overlay button. Gives you a 14au range and tells you ship types, which is valuable intel. It does not provide warpins. For those you need a real scanner.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 01:41:43 PM

By onboard scanner I meant the bulitin directional scanner right by the tactical overlay button. Gives you a 14au range and tells you ship types, which is valuable intel. It does not provide warpins. For those you need a real scanner.
Ahh.  I vaguely rememeber messing around with the onboard scanner, but not getting very far with it.  Good to know.

So any idea about passworded containers in your cargo hold?

dwindlehop
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 01:44:49 PM

I've never experienced hauling with a locked container, either on the giving or receiving end.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 01:59:00 PM

I just thought it would be an interesting experiment to try.  If the container remains locked, could you imagine how pissed off someone would be looting nothing but a Cargo container and some ammo out of your wreck and having NO way to get at what may be inside?

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 02:27:13 PM

You could do that, I think most folks just haven't tried. Might be a good idea for high value items, but someone could still blow it up if they can't open it. (And isn't there a way to hack into a secure container these days?).

- Viin
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 02:29:39 PM

You could do that, I think most folks just haven't tried. Might be a good idea for high value items, but someone could still blow it up if they can't open it. (And isn't there a way to hack into a secure container these days?).
I'm pretty sure it's unlocked unless anchored.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 02:56:48 PM

makes me wonder then, what is the difference between a Small Audit Log Secure Container and a Small Secure Container?

Both require Anchoring 1, but i think that may be only to anchor them in space.  Not sure how the passwording works for them when they are not anchored though.  I was pretty sure that when i put a Passworded container into my corps hanger, it wouldnt let other people access it without the password, but that might be hangar only, and not Cargo bay.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 03:07:25 PM

makes me wonder then, what is the difference between a Small Audit Log Secure Container and a Small Secure Container?

Both require Anchoring 1, but i think that may be only to anchor them in space.  Not sure how the passwording works for them when they are not anchored though.  I was pretty sure that when i put a Passworded container into my corps hanger, it wouldnt let other people access it without the password, but that might be hangar only, and not Cargo bay.

An audit log container provides you with an ... audit log. You get a list of who took what out of it. A regular secure container just has a password.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 03:32:58 PM

ahhh, that makes sense.

A cursory check of the forums seems to indicate that the anchored secured containers will not be password locked, so there is no point in trying to use one for shipping stuff securely, since people can just open it as soon as they take it off your wreck, which kind of sucks.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 03:37:34 PM

ahhh, that makes sense.

A cursory check of the forums seems to indicate that the anchored secured containers will not be password locked, so there is no point in trying to use one for shipping stuff securely, since people can just open it as soon as they take it off your wreck, which kind of sucks.
Secured containers are passworded, that's why they're secured containers. The 'anchored' bit refers to the fact that you can anchor them in space - normally if you dump a container in space it decays after a few hours, anchored structures remain in place indefinitely.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 07:24:21 PM

I have always wondered:  if you Buy one of those really small, secured cargo containers (the password locked type ones), load it up with all your low volume / high value goodies (like salvage and blueprints) and then load THAT into your ship.  if your ship gets popped, when they loot the cargo container out of the wreckage, can they open it? or is it still password locked?  Would they need to find a hacker or something to crack the code to open it?  How exactly does that work?

They can loot the container since it's not anchored.  They can take it to a station, and even though they cannot type in the password, they can right-click the container and "repackage" it.  This removes password, disassembles the container into the stackable version of a small secure container, and dumps the contents into their Items window in the station.

In effect, it's unsecure unless you anchor it in space.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 24, 2008, 09:09:07 PM

I believe what happens is that you can scoop the secured can into your hold, travel to the station and repackage the can, at which point all the loot inside pops out into your hanger.

I'm told that the password is also given to you in an evemail, but I have not verified this myself.

Hic sunt dracones.
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 25, 2008, 04:33:41 AM

I'm pretty sure it's unlocked unless anchored.

This is correct
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 26, 2008, 01:07:51 PM

So - how long does it take to anchor something? Could you jettison it then anchor it in 5 seconds time?

JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 26, 2008, 01:29:27 PM

60 or 30 secs I believe.
Grand Design
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 27, 2008, 07:34:51 AM

You would not have time to anchor one if you were about to go boom.

Also, you have to be careful about proximity, so that could potentially screw you up too.
VickeVire
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 28, 2008, 02:13:35 AM

As far as I know when cargo scanned they cant see what your secure can holds. That way the scanner needs to suicide gank you (if high sec) 'in the blind'

Correct me if I'm wrong
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 28, 2008, 03:29:36 AM

As far as I know when cargo scanned they cant see what your secure can holds. That way the scanner needs to suicide gank you (if high sec) 'in the blind'

Correct me if I'm wrong

I've heard that this is no longer the case but havent personally checked
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 09:41:57 AM

If you scan a ship you can see everything. It doesn't matter if its in a can or not.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 09:49:46 AM

Yeah, the only way to hide your cargo is to carry as many small pieces of worthless junk as you possibly can and to hope they don't notice the few expensive items that would make it worth their while to suicide gank you before you've already warped away.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 08:59:34 PM

If you scan a ship you can see everything. It doesn't matter if its in a can or not.

I can confirm this. I'm a suicide ganking mofo. Stories incoming tomorrow! :)

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: skills  
Jump to: