Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:51:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Random Skill System 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random Skill System  (Read 5776 times)
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

on: January 17, 2008, 04:29:28 PM

Everyone starts with no skill.  Every day the system make 10 random skills.  Each character gets one of those skills at random.  One in 20 of each skill is a master version of the skill.  Master skills are exactly the same the regular version, except master skill can be donated/sold to a class (can only be donated once). 

Classes are like guilds(but complete separate from). Their sole purpose is to accept master abilities, integrate them, and distribute them among the members.  Players can switch between their class mode and personal skill mode by using a consumable chosen as part of class creation process.  Obviously you need to be in personal mode to switch classes and need to be class mode to train in your class. Training wouldn't be a grind, but 60-90 quest with a journeyman+ player of your class.  Weak Bootstrap classes will be available at the beginning.  The primary limitation of Classes is a finite limit in number of skills.

The skill generator wouldn't be completely random.  It would be built to generate skills like Diablo generates loot but cull overly powerful or week skills.  Obviously, it would be the central balance issue of the game.  To prevent blandness on the skills would multi-tiered.  Low tier would be weak but have few limitations and High tiers having being extremely powerful but come with many limitations.  Probably it would use some sort of point system for comparative analysis.

"Me am play gods"
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 07:37:52 AM

So, let me get this straight. You come home from a hard day doing whatever, and want to kill a few hours.

Instead of you deciding what you are going to do this evening, the game tells you what you are going to be doing.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 07:53:56 AM

no, on day one, you have one skill probably use a player built class.  On day 1000, you'll have a 1000 and load out the skills you want to use.

"Me am play gods"
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 08:53:53 AM

Sounds like planetside.

"Oh sorry, I know you need a hacker, but the computer specc'd me to be a healer today."
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 09:20:58 AM

That never happen to me in PS.  I use a skill termal and selected my certs.  The computer never rearranged my certs.

"Me am play gods"
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 09:24:08 AM

The issue is that sometimes your squad really needed one class, but you were stuck as another. It's possible, I guess, but you'd have to address the problem.

What I don't get is what exactly is fun about being randomly assigned abilities?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Random Skill System  
Jump to: