Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:53:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Dear UK citizens, enlighten me please... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dear UK citizens, enlighten me please...  (Read 13982 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: January 04, 2008, 04:57:34 PM

I'm a failure as an entrepreneur. Sad Red Panda

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: January 05, 2008, 03:04:42 AM

you doing some traveling or something?

No, it's actually for the nerdiest of reasons: Roleplaying.

While I find accents of all types extremely interesting and love to hear them, nothing grates on my nerves worse than someone deciding their character is Scottish and insisting on doing a stereotypical Scottish accent everytime they say something. Especially when they're not all that good at it, and the place they were supposed to be born and raised in isn't Scotland. I was really hoping the answer to those questions was "no" since Lancaster doesn't appear to be anywhere close to Scotland and I could tell him to stop it. "Arrrrl, ge' yer heed dewn, Ia'll net be poolin ye te covaaar if'n ye git shut, ye feckin' muppet!". Usually followed by a rambling childhood story about throwing rocks at trains. Holy fucking god. It's like listeneing to Begbie after is tongue was filled with novacaine.

Gimli in the movies wasn't doing a Scottish Accent.  Sorry, you got that wrong.

Actually :  Edited to Add :  Your whole post has messed with my head and fucked me right off.  Go and get your RP friend and punch him in his stupid fucking face for me.  Lancaster is nowhere fucking near and the Lancashire accent is totally different with many many unique features.  Seriously, right in his face.  PUNCH.

Then kick him in the balls and scream 'That's for Ironwood you Pretentious and ignorant little fuck'.

Also, Muppet isn't Scottish AT ALL.  FUCKING TELL THAT ASSHOLE TO SHUT HIS FUCKING STUPID FACE BEFORE I COME OVER THEN AND GELDON HIM BY BREAKING ALL HIS FUCKING FINGERS.

Assholes.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 03:07:46 AM by Ironwood »

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: January 05, 2008, 03:14:37 AM

He sounds like a complete muppet.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #38 on: January 05, 2008, 05:16:49 AM

I used to throw rocks at trains.  No in Britain, though.  They take their trains very seriously there.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #39 on: January 05, 2008, 05:35:03 AM

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: January 07, 2008, 04:47:45 AM

Gimli in the movies wasn't doing a Scottish Accent.  Sorry, you got that wrong.

Actually :  Edited to Add :  Your whole post has messed with my head and fucked me right off.  Go and get your RP friend and punch him in his stupid fucking face for me.  Lancaster is nowhere fucking near and the Lancashire accent is totally different with many many unique features.  Seriously, right in his face.  PUNCH.

Then kick him in the balls and scream 'That's for Ironwood you Pretentious and ignorant little fuck'.

Also, Muppet isn't Scottish AT ALL.  FUCKING TELL THAT ASSHOLE TO SHUT HIS FUCKING STUPID FACE BEFORE I COME OVER THEN AND GELDON HIM BY BREAKING ALL HIS FUCKING FINGERS.

Assholes.

Gimli definitely wasn't speaking scottish but it was closer to some bastardized version of scottish than it was to Lancastrian.  It's more like how they speak in Carlisle.  If you want Lancashire accents, watch Wallace and Gromit - Wallace speaks with a thick Lancashire accent in that.  Alternatively, watch either The Full Monty or Last of the Summer Wine which are both set in Yorkshire.  It's close enough to Lancastrian to the untrained ear so will do for your friends needs. 

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: January 07, 2008, 06:22:53 AM

I don't care what it was closer too, it's honestly like someone saying their character is from New York and talking like Slim Pickens.

It's Wrong and Bob's Friend needs punched.

To Sum Up :  Accent Wrong, Punch Needed.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #42 on: January 07, 2008, 06:29:32 AM

There is a town in NJ named Cow Town and lots of the people sound like they're from Texas.  It's creepy.  I put that down as one of the many, Many, MANY weird New Jersey town that you drive through as fast as possible and don't stop for a cup of tea.

Ask Strazos.  There seem to be an awful lot of places in NJ that range from weird or creepy to horrifyingly scary. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 06:33:05 AM by Signe »

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #43 on: January 07, 2008, 09:55:12 AM

What about Groundskeeper Willy?  He's authentic, right?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #44 on: January 07, 2008, 10:08:20 AM

Hmmm, Gimli was a bad example for the accent I was trying to convey. It was way too mild, though I did think he was trying for some sort of watered down Scottish thing. Learn something new everyday. The accent he does is an unholy fusion of the slurriest aspects of Fat Bastard, Groundskeeper Willy, and the Scotsman from the old Bugs Bunny cartoon My Bunny lies over the Ocean. This is the same guy who gives another guy playing a Chinese character born in Hong Kong and educated in English boarding schools and graduated from Oxford shit for not talking and acting like Hop Sing. The accent just seemed really wrong for a guy who's supposed to be from Lancaster - or even anyplace in Scotland. That's just based on Local Hero, Doctor Who, and most of the characters in Trainspotting. I could be wrong though, which is why I asked.

Sadly, the RP involved is nothing nearly as pleasurable as imaginative butt sex, a guy at the local games shop dug out his 30 year old copy of Top Secret and talked us into a playing a campaign set in the 70's while we all wait for the next Warmachine[/] league season to start. I'd really forgotten how godawful the system is.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: January 07, 2008, 11:12:12 AM

There is a town in NJ named Cow Town and lots of the people sound like they're from Texas.  It's creepy.  I put that down as one of the many, Many, MANY weird New Jersey town that you drive through as fast as possible and don't stop for a cup of tea.

Ask Strazos.  There seem to be an awful lot of places in NJ that range from weird or creepy to horrifyingly scary. 
I'm ashamed to say that I live less than 20 minutes from cowtown.  Cry

As an aside, it's not actually a town; its sort of a flea market and rodeo combo. However, a large portion of Salem County NJ is populated by these confused neoconfederates... Protip: In addition to NJ being a northern, blue state, the civil war ended over 9000 years ago. Move on, get a clue, grow up, etc.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: January 08, 2008, 02:11:35 AM

This is the same guy who gives another guy playing a Chinese character born in Hong Kong and educated in English boarding schools and graduated from Oxford shit for not talking and acting like Hop Sing.

And because they've been to an English boarding school and graduated from Oxford then they should sound like...?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 02:32:16 AM by DraconianOne »

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: January 08, 2008, 02:23:15 AM

Kristen Miller.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: January 08, 2008, 02:35:01 AM

I'm ashamed to say that I live less than 20 minutes from cowtown.  Cry

I live very close to a village hamlet called Cow Roast. 

There's no rodeo.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #49 on: January 08, 2008, 06:26:26 AM

And because they've been to an English boarding school and graduated from Oxford then they should sound like...?

...they normally do. Which is what he did, no cheesy accent of any kind. Regardless, I'd like to think that someone who grew up in England all the way from 6 through their 20's would not sound like Jackie Chan. Maybe Hugh Grant. He's dreamy except for the whole buttfucking streetwhores without a rubber thing.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #50 on: January 08, 2008, 06:29:58 AM

I'm dorky enough to have played Top Secret SI back in the day, so I'll just shut up now.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #51 on: January 08, 2008, 07:48:23 AM

You know Gimli didn't have a Scottish accent because you could understand what the hell he was saying.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #52 on: January 08, 2008, 08:04:37 AM

Aye, ye might, rabbit... ye might.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: January 08, 2008, 12:11:27 PM

Bedtop RGP game?  I sense a new geek market.

Only if it's solo-friendly.  Rimshot

+1!

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Dear UK citizens, enlighten me please...  
Jump to: