Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:18:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Sticks and Stones.... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sticks and Stones....  (Read 17952 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

on: January 23, 2008, 09:46:14 PM

The nice folk who make Fury sent me this:

Subject:  LOSER! LOSER! LLLOOOOSSSSEEEERRRRR!
Time:  12:08 AM

Chances are?. you are a
LOSER!
Or will you prove us wrong?
http://www.unleashthefury.com
In the 3 months since release, tens of thousands of people have played FURY and every single one of them has lost at least one game! That?s right ? not one unbeaten player exists in our database. And the stats show that once you have won 3 games, you are extremely likely to play dozens, if not hundreds more games.
So, we?d love you to come back and check out all the changes and improvements and discover that winning feeling.
For a start it is easier to stay alive now, and there are new game types specifically designed for new players. We have also added AI Bots (and they love losing), new gametypes, new maps, fixed the GUI lag and hundreds of bugs plus loads of other stuff. You can find out more about all the changes at http://www.unleashthefury.com/ageofthechosen
We have also introduced the Chosen which allows you to play FREE FOREVER. Why not show your friends you are not a loser as well by bringing them along, they can play for FREE! Just get them to follow the instructions found here http://www.unleashthefury.com/free2play
Cya in game (unless, of course, you want to remain a loser).
The FURY Team
Please note that this email address is not monitored.

------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from our Newsletter, please visit this link
------------------------------------------------------------
Auran disclaims responsibility for the contents of this e-mail unless it was expressly authorised by Auran. This e-mail is a confidential communication. To the extent permitted by law, Auran does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered or incurred by you as a result of receiving, opening or relying on this e-mail.

ACK!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Dtrain
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 09:54:04 PM

Wow, what are you doing posting here when you need to be proving how much of a winner you are by giving money to someone who insulted you?
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 10:09:53 PM

In the 3 months since release, tens of thousands of people have played FURY and every single one of them has lost at least one game! That?s right ? not one unbeaten player exists in our database.

"A strange game... the only way to win is not to play..."
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 10:44:28 PM

Whoever came up with this marketing plan deserves a huge raise. Ohhhhh, I see.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 10:57:50 PM

It would work on Marty McFly.
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 11:07:31 PM

But will they make you their bitch?

Looks good right? So now all you have to do now is follow these instructions and your in!

ACK!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 11:10:58 PM by Special J »
damijin
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 11:33:42 PM

There is only one reason to throw that kind of hail Mary stunt to attract a couple players. I'm sure the Auto Assault and Vanguard teams can sympathize.

Edit: Struck our Vanguard because honestly they sold a decent number of boxes (including one to me). Just not enough to prevent them all from being laid off.

Edit 2: Edit again, because I had no idea Auran filed for bankruptcy or laid people off last month. Must have had my head in the sand. Guess I'll go read the postmortem.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 11:40:46 PM by damijin »
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 05:21:37 AM

Wait, I thought Fury was doomed to closing?

It would work on Marty McFly.

Only until he hit the old west. "Come on Doc, why do we have to always hit these things so close!?"
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 05:47:35 AM

Wait, I thought Fury was doomed to closing?

Auran has at least two separate entities - Auran Games, which manages Auran's live products, and it's development arm iirc. The development arm is the one that is in trouble; the much smaller Auran Games continues for now at least.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 07:29:28 AM

Furry?  0.0 DPS

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 09:15:47 AM

Everyone that plays wins, because no matter the outcome of the match, we flash a big sign that says, "You are a winner in our book!"
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 09:16:37 AM

NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 09:21:20 AM

Ha ha ha!  The joke's on them.  I've never lost a game.  And I'll remain unbeaten because I'll never play.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 10:49:31 AM

Well I lost a game in Alpha.  Actually, the game crashed in the middle of it so that means it was a tie right?  Phew.. still unbeaten.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 12:25:19 PM

I think they are trying to target people who quit because they lost in PvP and say to them "Hey, everyone loses sometimes, don't worry about it! Try again and before you know it, you'll be winning a few!"

If I understood it properly, it seems like a sensible thing to say (if only they could say it sensibly). But also highlights the potential pitfall in trying to sell any MMO with a heavy PvP element.

I've never played Fury, but the website gives the impression that winning in PvP is the way to get rewards, such as levelling up your abilities. It seems to me that the problem developers face is that players claim they want "meaningful" PvP, where the result actually makes a difference to them, when really they don't want it at all. Most of us will only take part in PvP if the consequences of losing are negligible.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 12:30:47 PM

Never listen to customers for that reason.  They want meaningful PVP only as long as they are winning.  Here you have to understand what they mean when they say "meaningful", which isn't what they will tell you at all.  An easy fix would be to use that crappy board-game trick where a random element decides the winner right at the end; sure, it removes the point of the game up to that point, but it gives the losers a reason to keep playing until the end.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 01:43:10 PM

I always took meaningful PVP to have a lasting effect on character and or the environment.  Fury is just chopped up version of Guild Wars.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 02:50:30 PM

It seems to me that the problem developers face is that players claim they want "meaningful" PvP, where the result actually makes a difference to them, when really they don't want it at all. Most of us will only take part in PvP if the consequences of losing are negligible.
In simpler terms when people say PvP they're thinking of that "to hear lamentations of women" thing. But the possibility of being made one of those crying bitches themselves, that's the part that eludes them and when it happens it makes most of them realize they aren't into PvP as much as they thought they were.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #18 on: January 24, 2008, 03:14:21 PM

It tells me that the game isn't meant to be entertainment.

"Me am play gods"
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 03:54:02 PM

I won the internet!!!

Dtrain
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 09:32:05 PM

Until I win x4:

See that? Now you have to KEEP PLAYING LOSER!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Sticks and Stones....  
Jump to: