Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:59:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Vista SP1 RC o.0 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vista SP1 RC o.0  (Read 3639 times)
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

on: December 14, 2007, 02:05:05 PM

In other news Vista is still a piece of shit.

In all fairness though it did double my network file transfer speeds from a pathetic 10MB/s to 22MB/s. Less broken but still broken.
geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 02:06:24 PM

48398 days aught to be enough days for anyone.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 03:53:28 PM

Time to buy vista. You gonna talk about why it still sucks? Or am I gonna have to find out on my own.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 04:00:20 PM

Just because some people don't know how to use a mouse doesn't mean Vista sucks.

It works fine for me. :)

- Viin
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 04:05:31 PM

Once you turn off a whole bunch of worthless, interfering crap and reset the look and feel to Windows 2000 it's okay.  I still hate the Vista windows explorer though.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 04:21:00 PM

YES! <rushes off to download>
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 07:07:08 PM

Nope.

Still not going to get it until I absofuckinglutely have to.

And by that time, Windows 7 will probably be out.
geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 08:25:16 PM

I'm waiting for DirectX 10 requirements that cannot be patched around on an absolutely must-have game.
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 08:41:47 PM

Ill stick to OSX Tiger and XP SP2 on my Windows partition.  By the time games I really want are Vista only (and not available for the 360 months in advance with better framerates!) my iMac won't be able to run them satisfactorily anyhow so what's the point?

Of course by all reports NOTHING can run Crysis properly anyways.  But just because they want to outdo Neverwinter Nights 2 in the BULLSHIT SYSREQS department doesn't mean I want to play another FPS anyhow...
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 08:44:24 PM

You gonna talk about why it still sucks?

Not really. Everyone uses an OS for different reasons. SP1 didn't address any of my issues except for the network transfer speed.

* Vista is bad/slow at managing/copying files over a network (sometimes failing for no reason). The Dell machine has a 10gig d: rescue partition. Not possible to copy a file from that partition over the network. Simply does not work.

* It obfuscates and masks real locations of files. One example is that if you run any of the Adobe trial software setups from the desktop it unpacks the files into a location you can't access. Had to use a Linux CD to delete the files. Also, using that same Linux CD to copy a file to the hard drive did not make the file visible to Vista. C:\ is not really C:\. I copied a Vista named dir to a network drive and the other machine couldn't see that it was a dir and not a file.

* The Windows Explorer is horrible (in classic mode anyway). Clunky. I've taken to just storing shit on the desktop in dirs.

* Searching for/in files is horribly broken in my view. I don't want it to index my files.

* It defaults to Sleep instead of Shutdown.

* I don't trust it not to eat my data or lock me out of my own data.

* Defrag is dumbed down to uselessness.

* There are a million useless services.

* It doesn't play well with non-Vista machines and older routers.

* It has trouble (aka it's fucked most of the time) with launching the associated app for a filetype correctly.

* I can see the network printer share but it never prints.

* Vacuuming near the machine blue screens it.

* ReadyBoost with a 512MB iPod Shuffle made is slower than without it.

Other then that it runs fast and runs the applications I need it to run. I usually have 10-15 FireFox tabs and 10-15 apps open at the same time. Usually runs at 900MB-1100MB of RAM used. Never seems to use more than that unless I run a game like Crysis.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 11:58:03 AM

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 12:18:59 PM

YES! <rushes off to download>

If this was anyone other than you, I would *know* they are joking. With you I'm not so sure.

Just say NO.

For the children.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 01:30:09 PM

* Vacuuming near the machine blue screens it.

This seems more like a system problem, and not Vista. Unless you're simply calling it unclean.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 01:49:31 PM

My mother-in-law just got a new laptop with Vista on it, and we are already suffering mysterious network outages.  To be fair, it seems a reboot cleared it up.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 01:54:25 PM

This seems more like a system problem, and not Vista.

Yeah, I was only half joking on that one. It did happen but I can see how putting a vacuum (static electricity) next to a running motherboard or hard drive could cause it to reboot. Not really blaming Vista though. I don't ever recall it happening with another machine.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 02:46:52 PM

Yeah, I was only half joking on that one. It did happen but I can see how putting a vacuum (static electricity) next to a running motherboard or hard drive could cause it to reboot. Not really blaming Vista though. I don't ever recall it happening with another machine.
It's actually not static electricity, it's the EM field created by the motor of the vacuum that interferes with the delicate components of the motherboard. One little bit gets out of whack, and the computer can reboot / lock up / do funky stuff.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 05:35:50 PM

I got stuck with Vista when my cat spilled a bottle of water on my laptop. It was right after Vista's release, and I couldn't find a machine with XP on it. Yes, I could have trolled the web, but I needed a new machine that day, no waiting for overnight shipping, etc.

It's not too bad, but I only use that laptop for research and writing. I run GalCiv2 and other RTS/TBS games on it. It doesn't have one of those assy mobile ATI or nVIDA cards in it, so I can't use it for MMOs. What's funny is that the one feature I found to be all whizbang and shiny (the toolbar item that lets you see all of your open windows in profile), is totally useless for how I use the machine and not as whizbang or shiny now.

Quite honestly, I really prefer XP.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
DarkDryad
Terracotta Army

da hizzookup

Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 01:54:55 PM

Meh I have used Vista ultimate since release and honestly havent had anyissues with it aside from the network transfer rate, which i was able to clear up by turning off certain functions, and the security popups which I disabled. Other than those two issues its been rock solid. Printer is IP based so I just connect to it. Sees my win2k3 server, wifes xp workstation and media center pc with no issues. Its all in confiuration. Ill do a writeup of the configs if ya want.
At the office were still xp based and dont forsee going to vista any time soon but for home I dig it.

BWL is funny tho.  It's like watching a Special Needs school take a field trip to a minefield.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007, 02:25:28 PM

I hold a single flame that market pressure will drive MS to make DX10 compatible with XP.  I really, really, really, really, really don't want to have to get Vista just for DX10.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #19 on: December 20, 2007, 04:25:56 PM

I hold a single flame that market pressure will drive MS to make DX10 compatible with XP.  I really, really, really, really, really don't want to have to get Vista just for DX10.
Microsoft doesn't play that way.  Before they ever get to that point they will declare XP unsupported and stop patching it, meaning you either "upgrade" to Vista or get overwhelmed by the new exploits/viruses/cracks/trojans that Microsoft won't be fixing.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #20 on: December 20, 2007, 04:32:15 PM

Microsoft doesn't play that way.  Before they ever get to that point they will declare XP unsupported and stop patching it, meaning you either "upgrade" to Vista or get overwhelmed by the new exploits/viruses/cracks/trojans that Microsoft won't be fixing.

They already cracked somewhat by expanding the life of Windows XP.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 20, 2007, 09:23:19 PM

My advice is that if you actually work on your computer or even know how to use it, stay the fuck away from Vista.  That list Krakrok posted sums up my feelings perfectly.

I don't think MS is going to force anyone to upgrade to Vista, they know better.  That is unless they want to increase the Mac userbase.

PSN: Happy_Hedonist, SteamID: Happy Hedonist
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 20, 2007, 10:39:57 PM

I still hope Vista is the new ME and will go away like a bad bad dream. Every time I am forced to touch a Vista machine that hope gets more and more pleading.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Vista SP1 RC o.0  
Jump to: