Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:23:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Blade Runner 5 DVD set in the fall 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blade Runner 5 DVD set in the fall  (Read 7864 times)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #35 on: December 18, 2007, 06:53:30 AM

It isn't even a war between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD at this point. HD-DVD is largely being funded by Microsoft -- and even they don't give a shit about it. They're just trying to roadblock the entire disc medium in general.

Either way though, Blade Runner in HD is hardly anything to get excited about.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: December 18, 2007, 07:45:33 AM

I got my 5 free bluray movies from my PS3 purchase. I didn't notice a huge picture quality difference but I did notice that sounds were much, much clearer since they were uncompressed. I will mention I noticed some difference in picture quality but it wasn't as big as say, the jump from VHS to DVD.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #37 on: December 18, 2007, 08:02:09 AM

Eh, I'm gonna have to ask the same thing I asked BigGulp: DLP or Projection?

Otherwise, there's a very noticeable difference. With new movies at least. Almost detrimental at times in fact! -- I mean, it's not exactly pleasing to view the pores on Brandon Routh's face.

On the flipside, it's pretty cool to make out the faces of each actor in the background and foreground in a wide pan shot.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: December 18, 2007, 08:13:44 AM

DLP. I did notice some differences, don't get me wrong. For instance things had more "texture". I never saw the first Pirates of the Caribbean in the theaters and I definitely noticed that their clothes were leather this time around, things like that. I just didn't notice as big of a difference as I was expecting.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #39 on: December 18, 2007, 08:14:15 AM

Who won the DVD-A vs. SACD war? Seven years on, vinyl sells more than both combined. I think it'll be the same with HD video formats - not enough consumers will give a shit, and both formats will linger on, going nowhere. Also, Microsoft and Apple won't see Google Entertainment coming and will become Napster sized also-rans in the Brave New World that runs on Google's Alpha 60 central computer.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #40 on: December 18, 2007, 08:18:23 AM

DLP. I did notice some differences, don't get me wrong. For instance things had more "texture". I never saw the first Pirates of the Caribbean in the theaters and I definitely noticed that their clothes were leather this time around, things like that. I just didn't notice as big of a difference as I was expecting.

Not to knock your TV or anything, but well... OK, I'm knocking your TV. DLP sucks.  Ohhhhh, I see. For games too.

I see downloadable shit as a good compliment and convenience, but people will always love their hard copies.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: December 18, 2007, 08:24:56 AM

Not to knock your TV or anything, but well... OK, I'm knocking your TV. DLP sucks.  Ohhhhh, I see. For games too.

I see downloadable shit as a good compliment and convenience, but people will always love their hard copies.

Really? You'd take projection over DLP? Hmmm....my next TV might be a plasma just so I don't have to worry about the stupid bulbs anymore.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #42 on: December 18, 2007, 08:29:14 AM

Hell no, I wouldn't take either. I just mentioned those two because they're the ones that won't bring out the color, contrast, or sharpness that HD quality provides. Usually when someone tells me that they don't see much difference in HD, I'll ask if they're viewing projection or dlp. It's like the only thing they're good for is size/price. Picture wise, they're not much of an improvement over old school TV's -- other than being able to accept different resolutions, and better angle viewing.

But anyways, I wouldn't buy anything except plasma or lcd.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: December 18, 2007, 09:15:09 AM

Hmmmm.....I see.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #44 on: December 18, 2007, 05:27:59 PM

I have an old tube TV that's something like 23".  Before I had that, I watched TV and videos in a 3"x4" window on my desktop while I surfed the web and/or did homework on the rest of the screen.

Needless to say, I think all y'all arguing about the merits of HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray are nuts.   awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #45 on: December 18, 2007, 10:10:36 PM

So we picked up the Final Cut set tonight, and watched the first disk in the box (said final cut).

No narration, and those minute+ traveling scenes really screamed for somthing, it got hard to watch at a few points.

So which version do I need to watch? Theatrical, directors, one that didn't come in my box?

And what was the directors cut ending, should I be upset with what I saw?

I apologize in advance for not having seen blade runner hundreds of times and knowing the answers to these, but after watching the final cut I was left with an overwhelming sense of 'meh', I just don't get the hype.
schild
Administrator

Reply #46 on: December 18, 2007, 10:14:51 PM

From what I've heard of this set, it still doesn't compare to the Brazil Criterion set. Which is a shame. A damn shame.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: December 19, 2007, 02:18:59 AM

So we picked up the Final Cut set tonight, and watched the first disk in the box (said final cut).

No narration, and those minute+ traveling scenes really screamed for somthing, it got hard to watch at a few points.

So which version do I need to watch? Theatrical, directors, one that didn't come in my box?

I apologize in advance for not having seen blade runner hundreds of times and knowing the answers to these, but after watching the final cut I was left with an overwhelming sense of 'meh', I just don't get the hype.

There's some other minutiae  but the two most important factors of the Director's Cut versus the original movie are 1) No voiceover and 2) no happy ending.

The final cut takes the directors cut, reshoots a few scenes, corrects the number of replicants mentioned, and reworks things a bit here and there.     So more polish as it were. 

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: December 19, 2007, 06:33:16 AM

There's some other minutiae  but the two most important factors of the Director's Cut versus the original movie are 1) No voiceover and 2) no happy ending.

The final cut takes the directors cut, reshoots a few scenes, corrects the number of replicants mentioned, and reworks things a bit here and there.     So more polish as it were. 

The other major difference is that the director's cut pretty much answers the "Who or what is Deckard?" question for you with the Unicorn dream and the origami. In fact, I'd say that in the theatrical cut it's assumed Deckard is human.

If you want the narration you want to watch the original theatrical cut. I may watch that simply because it has been so long I can't really remember if the narration is any good or is as bad as everyone says.

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: December 19, 2007, 06:44:56 AM

The other major difference is that the director's cut pretty much answers the "Who or what is Deckard?" question for you with the Unicorn dream and the origami. In fact, I'd say that in the theatrical cut it's assumed Deckard is human.

If you want the narration you want to watch the original theatrical cut. I may watch that simply because it has been so long I can't really remember if the narration is any good or is as bad as everyone says.

Pretty much.   I was watching an interview with Ridley Scott  and he mentioned that he and Ford still discuss this on occasion - Scott says that Deckard is a replicant, Ford says he's human.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: December 19, 2007, 06:49:47 AM

I heard that in a documentary on the new set (or maybe a commentary during the movie) Scott says that if you watch the Director's Cut and don't get that Deckard is a replicant then you're stupid. Lol.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: December 19, 2007, 07:13:47 AM

Scott says that Deckard is a replicant, Ford says he's human.

Hampton Fancher, the writer, also thinks Deckard is human and one of the drafts that he wrote (before David Peoples amended it) before shooting pretty much implies that he's human as well.  It would seem that Scott is the only one who thinks differently and hammered his point home with the inclusion of a spurious dream sequence about unicorns. 

Fancher's take on the whole thing was that Deckard may well be human but he's more emotionless, more lacking in empathy, more of a machine than the replicants he's hunting.  But, pretty much like everyone else who worked on the film, he fell out with Scott who then got Peoples to do revisions on the script which included a reference to Deckard being a replicant at the end.

(EDITED to fix links and english)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 07:24:46 AM by DraconianOne »

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: December 20, 2007, 10:16:30 AM

Pretty cool interview with the director over at NPR.org.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=17450340

Scott talks about the origin of the title "Replicant", gives his feelings about the source material and how P.K. Dick felt about that.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Blade Runner 5 DVD set in the fall  
Jump to: