Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:14:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Gaming Mouse 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gaming Mouse  (Read 2928 times)
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

on: November 01, 2007, 06:37:45 PM

My MX500 isn't doing too hot lately and I've been thinking I might get a laser mouse to game with, but I don't know what's good. I'm actually going to be pretty fucking cheap on this. I don't want to spend more than $40-50. No sense in saying Canadian, cause, y'know... awesome, for real

Anywho, I was looking at the Logitech G3 and for the price it apparently runs pretty damn well. I'm having a problem finding wired laser mice that aren't over $60. That's not because they're all over that price, just that there's no fucking wired mice. I despise wireless and batteries even with those fucking lith-ion ones. I just don't feel like having to swap batteries at any point.

Suggestions?
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 07:09:15 PM

Razer Diamondback, or similar.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 07:57:34 PM

Search on Newegg.

I hate the Razors because they have a sharp edge where the two halves fit together. All the new Apple iPods have this same problem though in the case of the Apple that's a conscious design decision because the previous models didn't have that, but I digress.

I had a G5 but the middle button broke on me. I've used various forms of the G3 form factor over the year but it's a little small for my hands. I'm currently using an MX400 equivalent but that's not a gaming mouse (doesn't have on-the-fly DPI adjustment, etc.).

If it fits your hand the G3 is probably your best bet.
BigNastyCurve
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 07:59:44 PM

My MX500 isn't doing too hot lately and I've been thinking I might get a laser mouse to game with, but I don't know what's good. I'm actually going to be pretty fucking cheap on this. I don't want to spend more than $40-50. No sense in saying Canadian, cause, y'know... awesome, for real

Anywho, I was looking at the Logitech G3 and for the price it apparently runs pretty damn well. I'm having a problem finding wired laser mice that aren't over $60. That's not because they're all over that price, just that there's no fucking wired mice. I despise wireless and batteries even with those fucking lith-ion ones. I just don't feel like having to swap batteries at any point.

Suggestions?

Logitech MX518.  Best gaming mouse I've ever owned, but it might be a little out of your price range.  Not sure atm.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 08:32:50 PM

Logitech is great. I've had the same wireless Logitech for more than three years now. They're nice and heavy, and durable.

The MX 610 is right around $45.

It weighs 12.8 oz. Whenever I want a quality electronics product, I take into account the weight. Not bad for a mouse, right?

« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 08:38:00 PM by stu »

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 09:15:21 PM

wired. WIRED. I'm with you, NiX.

I also need a new mouse. Mine's not fast enough, I need more 'ticks' per second for mouse updates (I hope laser increases it, not just increasing sensitivity) to play a scout.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 09:17:31 PM

I loves my Razer DeathAdder. A bit north of $50 US, however.  undecided

-Rasix
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 09:23:41 PM

How big are your hands? If you have small hands, spend the extra and buy a Razer mouse (this is assuming you have a decent mouse-pad). They are more expensive but oh so worth it.

* Edit:

remembered the name of the latest model that's coming out, the Lachesis, i believe. You probably don't need to buy the latest super-duper costly one though, since even the older models (i have a Diamondback) are very good.

* Edit 2:

god damn code is hard when you just wake up
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 09:26:55 PM by Megrim »

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 09:24:38 PM

Wired?

I love my Microsoft Sidewinder. $70 at Frys. $63 on Amazon.

This the new one btw. The maroon and black. I still stand by all the Razer recommendations.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 09:27:42 PM

How big are your hands? If you have small hands, spend the extra and buy a Razer mouse (this is assuming you have a decent mouse-pad). They are more expensive but oh so worth it.

* Edit:

remembered the name of the latest model that's coming out, the Lachesis, i believe. You probably don't need to buy the latest super-duper costly one though, since even the older models (i have a Diamondback) are very good.

Yah, I wouldn't say I have small hands, but I'm only 5'9" and my fingers are fairly thin.  Mouse fits perfectly.  Folks with sausage fingered mitts might have issues with it.

I'm using it without a pad and haven't really seen the need for one.

-Rasix
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 10:27:08 PM

wired. WIRED. I'm with you, NiX.

I also need a new mouse. Mine's not fast enough, I need more 'ticks' per second for mouse updates (I hope laser increases it, not just increasing sensitivity) to play a scout.

Ohhhhh, I see. Oh, my bad. Why would you want a wired mouse? They're such a pain in the ass. I've never had to swap batteries on my Logitech. Yeah, Razers are probly the way to go there. And they're heavy. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 10:43:04 PM by stu »

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 12:59:02 AM

MX518

That is all you will need.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 01:29:42 AM

I've been using a wireless logitech laser mouse, and the performance is wonderful.  The battery lasts forever without a recharge, and its not hard to remember to set it on its little recharger thing when your done for the night.  In the several years I've had it, I have never run out of juice while playing a game (though came close a few times when I kept forgetting to put it on the recharger for several days straight).  And I play games way to much.  There is really no reason to not get one.  Battery is not an issue, trust me.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 10:44:25 AM

Why would you want a wired mouse?

There has to be some good in it. Razer only makes wired mice.

Edit: What's the difference between a laser and an optical with DPI?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 10:48:31 AM by NiX »
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 10:53:51 AM

I have a small pile of Razer Diamondbacks. Quite nice, cheap, good. Good for right- or left-handers.

I also have a Razer Deathadder. It's even nicer. Pretty much right-hand only, better thumb-buttons, slightly better wheel. The on-the-fly adjustment is great, I thought it would be gimmicky, but when switching from gaming to photoshop/womble it's nice to turn down the speed with just a lift&click. I'm using the Deathadder for gaming, the Diamondbacks on other machine.

I think I paid about $50+tax for the Deathadder, your mileage may vary.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 02, 2007, 11:26:51 AM

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Gaming Mouse  
Jump to: