Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:12:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Portal Spoilers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Portal Spoilers  (Read 47610 times)
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: October 19, 2007, 05:57:51 PM

I miss Old Man Murray. They should keep doing it.

Day job. Chet still runs Portal of Evil, poe-news and poetv. Not the same thing though
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #176 on: October 19, 2007, 08:54:56 PM

I miss Old Man Murray. They should keep doing it.

Day job. Chet still runs Portal of Evil, poe-news and poetv. Not the same thing though

It sure as fuck isn't.  I miss those days.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #177 on: October 20, 2007, 12:09:05 PM

Anybody have a link to the sound file of that festive song that plays on the radio?  I downloaded the whole soundtrack to the game, but nobody ever has that song included with all the others.  Can't seem to find it anywhere.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #178 on: October 20, 2007, 12:56:31 PM

I'm going to go against all grain here and throw something out. For a game to make a top 3 in my book, it needs replayability. Portal lacks this. Awesome like 4 hours, but after that...

Obviously its a great game. GlaDOS is the absolute shit. But you won't be seeing me playing it unless a friend stops by and wants to try it.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: October 20, 2007, 12:59:28 PM

The festive song is only a 22 second loop sadly. I can post it if you'd like.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: October 20, 2007, 01:42:55 PM

If that is ok with the mods, then sure, I would appriciate it.  Don't feel like downloading a gcf viewer and trying to screw around with it.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: October 20, 2007, 01:55:07 PM

trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: October 20, 2007, 01:56:31 PM

I'm going to go against all grain here and throw something out. For a game to make a top 3 in my book, it needs replayability. Portal lacks this. Awesome like 4 hours, but after that...

I'm with you here.  Portal is pure brilliance.  But it's focused on simplistic (but excellent) gameplay with some clever metagame commentary and immense charm for the most part.  It's a breath of fresh air, but it's still a mini-game when all is said and done.

I'd give Bioshock GoTY before I gave it to Portal.  Because Bioshock, despite it's flaws and disappointing features is still a massive experience that grips you on multiple levels, for at least the first half of the game.  It's almost like Bioshock is a massive romantic era symphony with some flaws, where Portal is a perfect charming catchy folk song.  I love Portal, but it's not on the same scope.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: October 20, 2007, 03:32:52 PM

-Stephen Colbert
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: October 21, 2007, 04:56:53 AM

I'm with you here.  Portal is pure brilliance.  But it's focused on simplistic (but excellent) gameplay with some clever metagame commentary and immense charm for the most part.  It's a breath of fresh air, but it's still a mini-game when all is said and done.

I'd give Bioshock GoTY before I gave it to Portal.  Because Bioshock, despite it's flaws and disappointing features is still a massive experience that grips you on multiple levels, for at least the first half of the game.  It's almost like Bioshock is a massive romantic era symphony with some flaws, where Portal is a perfect charming catchy folk song.  I love Portal, but it's not on the same scope.

Wait for the multiplayer mods and player created maps to filter in.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: October 21, 2007, 07:28:04 AM

<deleted reply to another trhead that somehow ended up here, because, you know, teh internet is hard>

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: October 21, 2007, 08:24:33 AM

This Vanilla Crazy Cake is quite tasty, it's a shame you will never enjoy it.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
schild
Administrator

Reply #187 on: October 21, 2007, 03:29:14 PM

Obviously its a great game. GlaDOS is the absolute shit. But you won't be seeing me playing it unless a friend stops by and wants to try it.

I've played through it 5 times already.
Not to mention the challenge levels and some of the commentary.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: October 21, 2007, 06:00:11 PM

I'm going to agree it doesn't have a whole lot of initial replay appeal.  I blew through the game pretty fast, and didn't get stuck anywhere (except for very briefly in 1 room on test 18), so theres not much reason for me to go back and try again.  Advanced levels were pretty cool though.  Anyways, I feel that it will have alot of replay appeal when lots of custom maps start getting released.  It seems like the sort of game that would be easy for a creative person to sit down and create several fun and challenging levels.  That should keep me playing it for awhile, even though it isn't appart of the main "story" part of the game.  God only knows what sorts of mods people will think of for it as well (I consider mods for a game as still replaying it.  One of the reasons I felt Halflife deserved getting more GOTY awards than any other game ever).

-Stephen Colbert
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: October 22, 2007, 01:27:23 AM

The advanced levels really should have had extra GLaDOS dialogue in them.  Stuff that gave out more hints about what was happening in the story line.  (heck, they should have given you the option to do the game on an "advanced" difficulty, where all the levels were "advanced" with extra dialogue thrown in key places.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #190 on: October 22, 2007, 07:26:15 AM

I've played through it 5 times already.
Not to mention the challenge levels and some of the commentary.

Since the first 14 levels were basically progressive training for the other levels, with some awesome GlaDOS narration, did you play them again just for 'her'? :)

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Grand Design
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: October 22, 2007, 10:51:04 AM

I am no longer part of the problem.

That game was a whole barrel of fun.

If not GoTY, that has to be the best character of the year.

(I've been trying to think of who she reminds me of, and it's stupidly obvious: HAL9000.)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #192 on: October 22, 2007, 10:53:33 AM

Not SHODAN?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Grand Design
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: October 22, 2007, 11:00:49 AM

Ahh.  I never played System Shock.

Don't taze me, and all that.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #194 on: October 22, 2007, 11:13:42 AM

Both were very unfunny, but SHODAN does taunt you the whole time, sort of like a well-done Andrew Ryan... did you play Bioshock?

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: October 22, 2007, 11:16:45 AM

I'm going to agree it doesn't have a whole lot of initial replay appeal.

The only single player games that have had immeadiate replay appeal for me in the last 15 years have been Total War games, and MOO2.

I suspect this is because over that period I've never run out of other-games-I-want-to-play within the limited time I have to play them.

Portal qualifies as 'less replay appeal than Total War or MOO2', but that's not really something to lose sleep over.

I challenge all comers to think of a first person perspective, single player game that does have immeadiate replay appeal.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Grand Design
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: October 22, 2007, 12:03:47 PM

Sort of like a well-done Andrew Ryan... did you play Bioshock?

Bioshock is classified under 'man, if I only had time to finish' games. 

I'm still coming out of a multiple-year MMO slump that ate up a lot of my time and patience.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #197 on: October 22, 2007, 01:44:55 PM

I challenge all comers to think of a first person perspective, single player game that does have immeadiate replay appeal.

I played Vampire:Bloodlines through 7 times.  (Okay, it alternates between first-person and third-person depending on what weapon you're using, but it's still basically an FPS, right?)  I think I played Max Payne 5 times (again, over-the-shoulder, but just barely).

I'd rank Portal up there with both of those.  I haven't played through it 7 times yet, but I have spent a good chunk of time on the bonus maps, and I do plan on playing through the main game a couple more times at least (once to try to get that camera achievement and to see if I missed any of GLaD's dialogue the first time around, and once again with the developer commentary on).

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: October 22, 2007, 04:35:35 PM

I played through Vampire five times because the game changed quite a bit depending on which race you chose. Bioshock on the other hand I deleted moments after finishing. I play the Half-Life games a couple times each, but that is because I enjoy trying to figure out all I can about the storyline. I think I've played through Portal three times now( once with commentary ), as well as doing all of the challenges. It's not quite Vampire levels of replayability, but it's not too shabby.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Portal Spoilers  
Jump to: