Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:10:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: RIP Arthur C Clarke 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Arthur C Clarke  (Read 2092 times)
K9
Terracotta Army

on: March 18, 2008, 05:17:28 PM

Sad News

RIP, what a truly great author. At 90 years though he'd had a pretty good innings.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 05:18:48 PM

I only LOVED one of his books. Childhood's End, and that's enough to say that I'm glad he lived to see 90. Rest in peace, old man.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 05:35:59 PM

Rendezvous with Rama was the one that grabbed me. Wherever he's gone off to, I hope he has fun.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 05:45:02 PM

Rendezvous with Rama was the one that grabbed me. Wherever he's gone off to, I hope he has fun.

Same here. Although to be perefectly honest, the 'relationship' between the younger woman and the older man creeped me the hell out.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 06:04:49 PM

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 07:47:23 PM

Wow, sad indeed. A great run though! I'm with schild on Childhood's End. But the book I most loved was Against the Fall of Night (humanity, a billion years from now). Years later I read his revised version of it (the first version was rejected) called The City and the Stars, but always preferred the original. And then there's Hammer of God which I quite enjoyed.

Everything else I either enjoyed slightly less, or a bit less. The only one I almost flat-out didn't like was Cradle. As I recall, 90% of the book was backstories about transparent characters with the last 10% being interesting if you could get there. Not sure how much of this he wrote versus G. Lee though.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 08:13:24 PM

Wow, I thought he was dead already.  I can't feel too sad, though, the man was 90!  90! Hell of a run for anyone.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 11:02:11 PM

Yeah, at 90 I'm not sad, but respectful.

21 gun salute and a 40 on the curb, however..

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 05:50:18 AM

I got emails about this from several librarians because I just plowed through several of his books.

I hope I live to 90! Guy's leaving a great legacy, more than most of us will.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 08:34:35 AM

Great author, sad news. I loved the 2001 and 2010 movies, and the 2010 book (never got around to reading 2001). He's had a number of good books that I've read years ago, and nothing recently. I should probably remedy that once I'm through with Jailbird.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: RIP Arthur C Clarke  
Jump to: