Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 05:34:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Building a character for sale - advice? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Building a character for sale - advice?  (Read 2555 times)
Endie
Terracotta Army

on: June 19, 2007, 02:54:41 AM

I've started building a character, specifically to sell it for ISK using the transfer service.  It's been easy so far: learning skills, engineering, electronics and the like.

But what's the best skillset to build towards?  Should I build a dread pilot?  A carrier pilot?  Industrial and freighter?  A custom-made gang character with uber probing, covops, inty and the like type skills?  Or something else I haven't thought of (seems most likely)?

And which race's ships should I focus on?  I know Caldari best, but I'm happy to train whatever is most likely to appeal...  I suspect that a very gang/solo combat-oriented character is most desirable with plenty of minnie ships, no?

I'm happy to spend a year or so on it if the return is going to be worthwhile, which it seems to be compared to spending the same cash on timecards and reselling.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 04:14:47 AM

Gallente dread pilot is the obvious choice - the space-French ships are the current FOTM and dread pilots always sell well.

Amarr make for better carrier/MS pilots (but the dreads are decent).
Minmatar need way too many skills to train up (armour tank and shield tank and speed tank and guns and missiles and and and), plus Matari capships are on the weak side.
Caldari are weaker in PvP in general (shield tank lol), plus their capships are between Minmatar & Amarr (read: second-worst in general).

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 04:37:49 AM

Gallente sounds fun - I'l have to do some playing on the character to get its standings up for research agents and npc jump clones, so it'll be fun not to run missions on easy mode (Caldari missiles).

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 05:04:59 AM

I didn't build mine to sell, but when I got tired of the game and decided to take a break (happened 3 times) they sold ok.  Learning skills to 3/4, support skills to 5, and some of the prereq's like Industrial to 5.  Whoever buys is probably just looking to save some time, which doing the prereq's does, and will otherwise specialize it however they see fit (which may not match your choice).
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 06:53:15 AM

As a matter of interest, did you sell alts and keep a main, or did you start from scratch each time?  If I came back and had to start from zero when I could have been picking up my main with 17million plus whatever I left to train (adv space command V, I imagine) I'd be self-harming.

Twitter - Endieposts

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 11:49:16 AM

Hm. I can use Eve-Mon to check how long it would take to train a dread-pilot, but for how much ISK would one sell ? Round about ?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 01:00:17 PM

Ebay completed items is your friend. Rough estimate...with no assets, and bare minimum other skills? A 34M SP dread pilot with dread sold for 850...  I'd say 350-400 maybe

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 01:44:19 PM

Keep in mind the skill costs for a Dread pilot are somewhere around a billion ISK.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 01:47:26 PM

I'd say 350-400 maybe
shocked

That has me thinking about training up characters with the advanced learning skills and then selling them for a small profit.  evil

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 03:11:28 PM

As a matter of interest, did you sell alts and keep a main, or did you start from scratch each time?  If I came back and had to start from zero when I could have been picking up my main with 17million plus whatever I left to train (adv space command V, I imagine) I'd be self-harming.

I started from scratch each time.  I kept a CEO alt (had just the CEO skills and a 1-man player-corp) with a huge load of already-researched blueprints, and his wallet fattened after each character sale by 500-800 million (this was long ago).  So when starting over, I'd mail the new guy 100mil, set him on a bunch of skills, and watch him turn that into profit, at which point when I got bored, he'd send everything to the CEO, then get sold and send more money to the CEO.

My deactivated account has a 4 mil SP char, and several billion ISK that I gathered over time, which I'll probably never use cause I don't want to go back to this game due to the bugs, which I've absolutely had enough of, and I don't think CCP is smart / professional enough to ever fix permanently.

EDIT:  Yeah, it'll be more profitable for you to build a character that has all the prerequisites to train Dreadnaughts, but not the skill.  Let the buyer spend the 1 bil on the skill.  You're just selling time spent building up to that point.  Learning skills, etc.  Can't go wrong with training prerequisites for everything to 5 (Electronics, Engineering, High Speed Maneuvering, Spaceship Command, Gunnery, etc etc). 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 03:14:11 PM by ajax34i »
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Building a character for sale - advice?  
Jump to: