Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:03:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  (Read 617143 times)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #875 on: July 27, 2014, 08:30:41 PM

*snort*

Mind you. who am I kidding, I'd probably be first in the queue.  Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 08:36:03 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #876 on: July 28, 2014, 10:16:39 AM

That would be better on Netflix.

I was surprised not to see Black Panther announced, but I still expect it to be one of the next announced films for all the previously stated reasons.  It might be the film that follows GotG II...

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #877 on: July 28, 2014, 02:26:01 PM

Well with Caps shield broke, they have to get more Vibranium from somewhere.  It can be a Wall Street type thriller as Shield and Black Panther haggle over prices.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #878 on: July 28, 2014, 02:54:11 PM

Well with Caps shield broke, they have to get more Vibranium from somewhere.  It can be a Wall Street type thriller as Shield and Black Panther haggle over prices.

Very real possibility that shield is from a dream sequence.  Even though I still think a BP movie is pure fanwank right now it still wouldn't be the next movie since dr strange being greenlit is a known fact even if casting is still up in the air. 

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #879 on: July 28, 2014, 03:08:09 PM

Oh I don't even want a BP movie to tell you the truth.  (I must be racist) 
I just think there are better characters that need a shot first.  Hell I'd love a Moon Knight movie.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #880 on: July 28, 2014, 04:07:59 PM

Why?  Because instead of Black Panther's totally black costume you want to see Moon Knight's totally WHITE costume?!  Why not go ahead and have MK burn a cross on someone's yard while you're at it!

RACIST!

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #881 on: July 28, 2014, 04:14:06 PM

Don't get me wrong I'd be totally down for BP but by all past experience we will know if the project is greenlit way before it's ever officially announced yet people online somehow expect BP to appear out of the fucking aether.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #882 on: July 28, 2014, 04:23:36 PM

A BP movie is something Feige has said they're developing. Obviously they're constantly developing any number of projects that may never see the light of day, but it at least leads one to believe that they don't see it as something that's too inherently racist to make as some people here seem to think.

But yeah, anybody who was expecting a huge number of announcements at comic-con needs to understand that's not how the movie industry generally works.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #883 on: July 29, 2014, 10:32:13 AM

... Even though I still think a BP movie is pure fanwank right now...
Feige: “In terms of Black Panther, it’s absolutely in development, and when you have something as rich as Wakanda and [Black Panther's] backstory – and clearly, Vibranium’s been introduced in the universe already – I don’t know when it will be exactly but certainly we have plans to bring him to life someday.” 

http://screenrant.com/black-panther-movie-development-update-phase-4-5/

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #884 on: July 29, 2014, 11:11:02 AM

Your link is from last year and the link I posted in reply to your ridiculous theory two pages ago is from last week.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/marvel/31383/kevin-feige-on-black-panther-female-superhero-movie

And then the conversation turned to the long-mooted Black Panther movie, and a possible superhero film with a female lead. Is Marvel open to both of those?

"I think we could, it’s a matter of when", Feige said. "It’s a matter of what are those dates, it’s a matter of juggling multiple, successful franchises. Is there a downside to managing multiple, successful franchises? I believe we’re figuring out that there is, which is having the time to do them all. So, at what point do we hold back a franchise or have three or four years between parts of a franchise in order to introduce new ones? Or do you introduce new ones within the body of the films? We’re looking at all those things right now".

So BP is still up in the air or possibly going to be introduced in another franchise and not stand-alone.   In either case, once these movies are greenlit we know about it long before they are ever officially announced, you know this.  So we all know dr strange is in the works even if it's not been announced, the same can't even be said for BP.  

Fiege basically said BP is on a drawing board somewhere as an idea along with squirrel girl no doubt.  All of their available properties are certainly in some stage of development. The most likely scenario taking both those quotes together is that they wanted to do a BP movie but decided it would be best if he is introduced within an established franchise, perhaps cap3(shield repair).

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #885 on: July 29, 2014, 12:33:42 PM

Can people explain to me the perception that the character is racist? Because honestly he's really never been in the comics, all the way back to Kirby & Lee. There's a bit of the "ancient lost kingdom at the heart of Africa" trope going on, but it's the most respectful version of that trope that I can think of--usually that's a kingdom that gets discovered by a white explorer and ends up being inferior to the white explorer (basically, Avatar) The Panther's personality has always been Sidney Poitier in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner--the only racially charged thing about it is that he's a little too perfect at almost everything.

Is it just that a black African character with "Black" in his superhero name seems like it's gotta be racist?
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #886 on: July 29, 2014, 12:53:16 PM

I don't find any of it racist, though the Wakanda tropes are problematic, but I'm pretty sure it will be an enormous shitstorm if they make a movie out of it.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #887 on: July 29, 2014, 12:54:56 PM

The biggest "racist" thing is the name.  When you think of Black Panther in the US you usually think of this:

And not a Marvel comic book character.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #888 on: July 29, 2014, 04:16:12 PM

I don't think anybody over 40 is going to remember the Black Panther Party. And the Panthers themselves kind of liked the character.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #889 on: July 29, 2014, 04:25:22 PM

Race is just a third rail. Love the character, but if I was an investor...

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #890 on: July 29, 2014, 04:31:44 PM

Can people explain to me the perception that the character is racist?

He's a black guy from the jungle who is often depicted with a tooth necklace and occasionally even a spear. I mean, you're right, he's miles and miles from being the Diablo 3 Witch Doctor, but I think there are elements to the character that are going to resonate in an unfortunate way to Americans no matter what they do. Comic books can, when done well, do the kind of nuance that is demanded in handling this kind of material; I'm skeptical that a comic book movie can overcome it. Nobody's going to make a talky, subtle Black Panther movie.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #891 on: July 29, 2014, 04:44:14 PM

I don't personally see it as a racist character but as said above it's the perception which makes it hard to get a movie greenlit.  The more I think about BP the more I believe he's going to be introduced in another property, doing so takes a lot of steam out of any reservations the suits might have.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #892 on: July 29, 2014, 06:39:27 PM

He's a black guy from the jungle who is often depicted with a tooth necklace and occasionally even a spear.

He's also often depicted as the ruler of an African nation that is one of the most technologically advanced in the MU (and thus is naturally treated as a diplomat when he enters the U.S.), who dresses in a suit and tie as a man of his status generally would, and puts on a Batman-esque costume equipped with long claws on the gloves to fight crime. There's no reason to imagine that they would use the most potentially offensive depictions of the characters instead of the most respectful ones.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #893 on: July 30, 2014, 02:26:02 AM

So, Deadpool test footage.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #894 on: July 30, 2014, 03:50:20 AM

So, Deadpool test footage.

I'm not gonna watch it.  They'll either make the movie or they won't but I refuse to get my hopes up. 

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #895 on: July 30, 2014, 05:37:09 AM

Fox owns Deadpool so I'd go with "Not happening."   I imagine this is someone's attempt to generate buzz and push it past his stodgy 60-something exec who's vetoed the project before.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #896 on: July 30, 2014, 07:52:21 AM

I saw the Deadpool test footage and it was SO SPOT ON CORRECT. Fucking hilarious, and any studio exec who looks at that and thinks "I will never make this movie" should be shot.

Of course, then we'd be left without any studio execs because I'm sure they all take one look at that footage and shit themselves. They have no idea how to sell that to an audience large enough to make a profit on a movie that would need at least a $100 million budget. Not to mention how it would "taint" Fox's other movie franchise characters like X-Men and Wolverine. I mean, he kind of works in the comics sort of, but when he's paired with other characters from the MU, he sticks out like a sore thumb. We'd be more likely to get a fucking Ambush Bug movie.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #897 on: July 30, 2014, 07:56:22 AM

I'd pay for a fucking Ambush Bug movie too.

That said, the high res footage is Fucking. Glorious. R rated is the only way it would work too, but the only appeal is comic book nerds and frankly, that ain't gonna sell enough tickets.

Then again, Scott Pilgrim got made, so who the fuck knows?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #898 on: July 30, 2014, 08:31:41 AM

Ok I caved.  It's everything I want in a deadpool movie, which only increases my sadness because this will never EVER get made.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #899 on: July 30, 2014, 08:52:18 AM

Wow, that was perfect.

Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #900 on: July 30, 2014, 04:51:52 PM

The first couple lines were the most original lines of dialog I've heard in recent memory. Ryan Reynolds was the perfect delivery vehicle.

I was thoroughly impressed. It was made by Blur Studios, who I view as an extremely talented group of artists and IIRC has output other quality trailers.

It was fantastic and, more important to me, *different*.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 04:53:31 PM by Maven »
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #901 on: July 30, 2014, 04:54:28 PM

Now they just need to get Patrick Stewart to play Deadpool's inner voice.   awesome, for real
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #902 on: July 30, 2014, 04:59:50 PM

The first couple lines were the most original lines of dialog I've heard in recent memory. Ryan Reynolds was the perfect delivery vehicle.

I was thoroughly impressed. It was made by Blur Studios, who I view as an extremely talented group of artists and IIRC has output other quality trailers.

It was fantastic and, more important to me, *different*.
Also known as: more reasons it will never get made

Imagine what it looks like after being run through focus groups. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #903 on: July 30, 2014, 06:55:15 PM

The test footage is great because it's all of 2 minutes or whatever. Hour plus of that will not be as entertaining.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #904 on: July 30, 2014, 08:02:00 PM

Syfy is reporting a trademark filing in line with what Marvel has done for various film and tv presentations of characters for another of their characters... Squirrel Girl.  I''m thinking she may make a nod-nod wink-wink in one or more of the Netflix series.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #905 on: July 30, 2014, 08:10:18 PM

If they're expecting Big Hero 6 to do well, I could see them thinking about doing Squirrel Girl as an animated movie.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #906 on: July 30, 2014, 11:22:12 PM

He's a black guy from the jungle who is often depicted with a tooth necklace and occasionally even a spear.

He's also often depicted as the ruler of an African nation that is one of the most technologically advanced in the MU (and thus is naturally treated as a diplomat when he enters the U.S.), who dresses in a suit and tie as a man of his status generally would, and puts on a Batman-esque costume equipped with long claws on the gloves to fight crime. There's no reason to imagine that they would use the most potentially offensive depictions of the characters instead of the most respectful ones.

Basically 'Coming to America' with lycra?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #907 on: July 30, 2014, 11:53:15 PM

Basically 'Coming to America' with lycra?

I could see BP done as more of a political thriller type, foreign delegate coming to the UN with a Hydra type conspiracy appearing and him getting caught between SHIELD and compromised US/UN groups and figures. The problem with that, while I think it would work with the character, is coming a bit too close to the Cap 2 plot. It would seem the best way of involving BP as a head of state of an African country, lots of potential for higher level political stuff combined with Batmanesque double life plot elements.

That said it's pretty clearly a 'maybe we'll do that one' level of development so far. I'd honestly expect the whole comic movies to thing to have died down quite a bit before it actually gets made.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #908 on: July 31, 2014, 01:33:13 AM

The test footage is great because it's all of 2 minutes or whatever. Hour plus of that will not be as entertaining.

I'll take a short film. I enjoyed Thomas Jane's Dirty Laundry, I think we could do with more Marvel vignettes to explore properties that would be difficult to take to the big screen. Hell, maybe Youtube Advertising Money would be enough to justify production.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #909 on: July 31, 2014, 01:57:59 AM

One thing we all need to accept is that the MCU people have no plans to make a political thriller. Or any type of thriller.

I agree it would be cool. But there is a formula. 60 minutes of straightforward character background and exposition, then 60 minutes of explosions. All the talk of MCU entering other genres is just bullshit.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 71 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  
Jump to: