Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:22:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  (Read 617150 times)
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #805 on: July 21, 2014, 03:17:22 PM

My friend, who hasn't read a comic in his life, texted me today, totally excited about GoG. 

If you knew this guy, you'd be as stunned as I am.

This movie is going to be HUGE.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #806 on: July 21, 2014, 03:17:43 PM

I think this is the most hyped I've been for a Marvel movie since Iron Man. 
I was really hyped until I saw the 17 minute preview.  It didn't disappoint, but it did curb some of the idea of what this movie could potentially be.  Now, I'm expecting a fun movie, but I do not believe it has a chance to be one of my favorite Marvel movies.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #807 on: July 21, 2014, 03:18:37 PM

Dr. Doom, The Red Skull, Dr. Octopus and Magneto were recognizable villains and why they were used for movies.

They were used for movies because they're deeply ingrained in the series they come from, not out of some notion that audiences are going to go see a Spider-man movie because Doc Ock is in it. The only time I can ever think of that the general audience was excited to see the villain of a comic book movie was the Joker in The Dark Knight (even prior to Ledger's death). People don't know who Klaw is, but he'd likely be used in a Black Panther movie because he ties into the character's origin.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #808 on: July 21, 2014, 03:32:30 PM

I think this is the most hyped I've been for a Marvel movie since Iron Man. 

Farscape was one of my favorite tv shows of all time, I cannot express my hype for gotg in words.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #809 on: July 21, 2014, 03:36:00 PM

Nice extended clip for GotG here.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #810 on: July 21, 2014, 03:37:52 PM

I'm not watching any more clips.  I'm there Day One, stop bouncing the rubble!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #811 on: July 21, 2014, 04:46:19 PM

I dunno, I think some folks had some weird shelter bubble they were living in.  I didn't buy a comic until I was a sophomore in HS and stopped shortly thereafter when I discovered girls liked me and I knew this stuff.

Maybe watching Spiderman & His Amazing Friends when I was ~9 influenced me more than I thought.  IIRC there was also a Fantastic Four cartoon for folks in my age range that I saw reruns of.

This is all anecdotal on all parts anyway, so fnar.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 04:48:15 PM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #812 on: July 22, 2014, 04:13:27 AM

Who has the rights to Namor? I'd thought maybe he got bundled in the FF deal. I could see Namor working out if he's handled right. (See: no wings on ankles, and put some clothes on.)
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #813 on: July 22, 2014, 07:32:20 AM

Who has the rights to Namor? I'd thought maybe he got bundled in the FF deal. I could see Namor working out if he's handled right. (See: no wings on ankles, and put some clothes on.)

Feige has said that there are multiple holders and that the chances for Namor are very slim.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #814 on: July 22, 2014, 10:00:33 AM

Namor is one of those characters that has been around forever that has lingered because he fills a large role in the Marvel Universe - but that noody really likes.  I think that is the biggest reason he won't surface on film.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #815 on: July 22, 2014, 10:03:50 AM

Namor vs the Isle of Garbage!

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #816 on: July 22, 2014, 11:32:40 AM

Dr. Doom, The Red Skull, Dr. Octopus and Magneto were recognizable villains and why they were used for movies.

They were used for movies because they're deeply ingrained in the series they come from, not out of some notion that audiences are going to go see a Spider-man movie because Doc Ock is in it. The only time I can ever think of that the general audience was excited to see the villain of a comic book movie was the Joker in The Dark Knight (even prior to Ledger's death). People don't know who Klaw is, but he'd likely be used in a Black Panther movie because he ties into the character's origin.

I want my white gorilla! The man ape.  But seriously, how can you do Wakanda without coming across like a racist scumbag? 

Heroes for hire, now....that could be an awesome movie.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #817 on: July 22, 2014, 11:44:17 AM

The Black Panther will never get a movie for the same reason Apache Chief won't.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #818 on: July 22, 2014, 12:05:59 PM

They could get Michael Cera to play Black Panther.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #819 on: July 22, 2014, 12:09:42 PM

Black Panther will likely be announced at Comic Con this year.  They've been building towards it for several years - including having a spot in Africa highlighted on a SHIELD board back in IM II.  He was in consideration to have a movie early in second phase once upon a time, but they went another direction.  I think they're going to announce all of the films in those slots they 'reserved' this year - and they'll include Dr. Strange, Black Panther and maybe even the Inhumans.

As for racism: Most early non-white non-male characters for DC and Marvel were exploitation characters.  The root of the characters tend to be offensive to modern sensibilities.  However, you can tweak them to make them less offensive.  If you portrayed the Wakandan military in a similar way to the armies at the start of the second Thor movie, it might make more sense.  For example, their advanced technology could enable them to have personal defense shields that brush aside bullets, but are able to be pierced by weapons that have countermeasures, which require the weapons to be the size of spears, etc...  However, you don't need to have grass skirts, cliche tribal war paints, and non-sensical stereotyped lines that pain the sensibilities.  

Honestly, the outlandish nature of the Wakandan stuff is much easier to revamp and modernize than the baggage that came with Luke Cage.  

And Apache Chief was modernized in the new Young Justice animated series.... they stripped out the most offensive aspects, but kept the root of the character the same.  They could do the same for a movie - if the character did not kind of suck.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #820 on: July 22, 2014, 01:07:28 PM

And people say my star wars theory was stretching....

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #821 on: July 22, 2014, 01:37:48 PM

And people say my star wars theory was stretching....
Probably because your theory was not backed up by a lot of publicly available comments easily found via a Goggle search?   

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #822 on: July 22, 2014, 01:50:09 PM

We are going to get a female lead Marvel movie before we get Black Panther.  There are rumblings about so many different Marvel movies coming out, but it comes down to where are they gonna fit it in?  Right now I don't think there is much room for another new character set til after phase 3.  They are probably going to announce one new character movie at SDCC and I bet it's Black Widow.  I'd like to see a Hawkeye/Black Widow movie though or a Hawkeye one in general.  They have to make Renner happy somehow.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #823 on: July 22, 2014, 01:54:41 PM

Saying "we were thinking of doing the movie but decided to do something else" is a long ways away from ever green lighting it. The agents of shield connection actually hurts the movie theory because they are likely NOT going to tease something in the tv show for upcoming movie properties.

Literally the only thing we heard from the dr strange movie, which HAS been greenlit, was a name drop in captain america 2.   What you seem to be saying is that a brief mention of a country of wakanda which features in more comics than just black panther on a tv show set in that universe is all but confirmation?

From here: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/marvel/31383/kevin-feige-on-black-panther-female-superhero-movie  and posted today...

And then the conversation turned to the long-mooted Black Panther movie, and a possible superhero film with a female lead. Is Marvel open to both of those?

"I think we could, it’s a matter of when", Feige said. "It’s a matter of what are those dates, it’s a matter of juggling multiple, successful franchises. Is there a downside to managing multiple, successful franchises? I believe we’re figuring out that there is, which is having the time to do them all. So, at what point do we hold back a franchise or have three or four years between parts of a franchise in order to introduce new ones? Or do you introduce new ones within the body of the films? We’re looking at all those things right now".

They are likely going to announce Dr Strange casting this weekend but Black Panther isn't even on the radar, it's firmly in the "maybe, one day" category which means jack and shit.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #824 on: July 22, 2014, 02:49:25 PM

Let's let time tell, shall we?

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #825 on: July 22, 2014, 03:14:17 PM

Moondragon, Mantis, everyone from that era, no fucking way.

Actually I hope they are in GoTG eventually. I think they are too similar to each other, unless you make Mantis a pure precog. I would prefer Mantis but Moondragon makes more sense, depending on what movie Drax is like. 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #826 on: July 22, 2014, 03:17:51 PM

According to the question on Jimmy Kimmel's Guardians of the Galaxy stuff last night, Drax was originally killed by the Moondragon - which would lead me to believe she will be mentioned in some manner.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #827 on: July 22, 2014, 06:31:21 PM

According to the question on Jimmy Kimmel's Guardians of the Galaxy stuff last night, Drax was originally killed by the Moondragon - which would lead me to believe she will be mentioned in some manner.

Is it ok if I NERD RAEG? why so serious?  ehh as long as she's in the sequel, I guess.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #828 on: July 22, 2014, 07:17:00 PM

Priest and Hudlin's takes on Black Panther were anything but racist--Hudlin opened up his run with a recap of the history of Wakanda that included the Wakandans slaughtering a group of Afrikaner mercenaries who tried to conquer them in the 19th Century--basically he turns Wakanda into an Afrocentric dream, high-tech before the West, never colonized or conquered, etc.  And it kind of works. I think if they keep with that--a small, deliberately isolated African country that's very secretive; keep the Panther as the strong, silent, reserved type that's he's typically been in the comics, it could really work.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #829 on: July 23, 2014, 09:10:24 AM

A ways back we discussed whether Marvel had always intended for there to be a 'real Mandarin' out there beyond the false one in IM 3: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/22/could-we-see-the-real-mandarin-is-red-skull-dead

The set up for it is clearly there early in IM 3...

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #830 on: July 23, 2014, 09:01:40 PM

Apparently Marvel has added May 4th 2018 to their list of releases now as well.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #831 on: July 23, 2014, 09:09:27 PM

6 movies in 2 years, that's crazy.  but it's probably movies to fill in more characters before they pop out Thanos at us. 

Also rumor is that RDJ is up for an Iron Man 4 if they can get a deal done.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #832 on: July 23, 2014, 09:10:21 PM

Awesome.  RDJ just seems the perfect actor to play Tony Stark to me.  I hope we get one more movie with him, before they move on to another actor/character.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #833 on: July 23, 2014, 09:17:31 PM

If I were Marvel, and I was wanting to secure Iron Man as a character, I'd get a blood sample of RDJ, clone him, and spend the entirety of his youth educating him in acting and feeding him a steady diet of women and alcohol.

Marvel has no moral compunction against cloning! And they'll get a solid 20-30 years of Iron Man films right there.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #834 on: July 23, 2014, 10:04:40 PM

Since iron man is just a CGI suit, they could just get RDJ do do voiceover work, and pay him billions for it. Couple of images of him inside with Jarvis screen overlay. Iron Man appearance in movie.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #835 on: July 23, 2014, 10:24:50 PM

I really like this poster for some reason, I want one for my wall.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #836 on: July 24, 2014, 02:48:43 AM

Needs more Garrett Morris.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #837 on: July 24, 2014, 07:43:48 AM

It is a pretty sweet poster.

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #838 on: July 24, 2014, 11:04:18 PM

The Black Panther will never get a movie for the same reason Apache Chief won't.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #839 on: July 25, 2014, 12:11:42 AM

Is that real? Because, shit.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 71 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  
Jump to: