Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:58:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  (Read 617149 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: July 24, 2013, 03:21:32 PM

George Zimmerman is probably closer to a real-life version of the Punisher than we'd like to admit. There's a reason society doesn't tolerate vigilantes, everyone has a slightly different idea of who the good and bad guys are.

Its easy, the bad guys are the people who don't understand what probability is.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: July 24, 2013, 03:41:30 PM

George Zimmerman is probably closer to a real-life version of the Punisher than we'd like to admit. There's a reason society doesn't tolerate vigilantes, everyone has a slightly different idea of who the good and bad guys are.

Its easy, the bad guys are the people who don't understand what probability is.

LOL, so good.  Would read again!
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: July 24, 2013, 03:56:29 PM

Some of you appear to be taking this discussion a bit too personally.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: July 24, 2013, 06:53:12 PM

This was a small but pretty great element of The Dark Knight--the guys who all go out dressed as Batman. I really wish one of the two major superhero universes would engage this more thoroughly. Combine us (real-world modern humans) with those universes, and I guarantee you'd see the following:

1) Serious social movements and maybe even political parties built around the strongest or most extreme examples of superhuman vigilantism.
2) Massive bodies of law and legislation and whole businesses built around the consequences of superheroics. (e.g., Damage Control in Marvel Comics--a reconstruction and insurance agency specializing in the aftermath of superhero battles; the law firm She-Hulk worked for that dealt with superhero/villain litigation; etc.)
3) Religious cults around superhero/villain resurrections; also, at least in the DC Universe, the existence of God and Satan is a readily verifiable, straightforwardly empirical fact which would have at least a bit of impact on people;
4) Tons of people dying or suffering injury from irradiating themselves, jumping in toxic vats, etc. , in hope of gaining superpowers.

So yeah, Zimmerman isn't a bad premise for superhero stories--except that he shows that *some* people would very much tolerate vigilantes, especially IF they thought the vigilantes were beating up on or killing those "other guys".
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: July 24, 2013, 07:21:04 PM

Jack Kirby: I'm getting it.  So if she's in a fight, and the floor is even a little slippery, the villain will slip and fall possibly hitting himself on the noggin?
Stan Lee: EXCELSIOR!

The problem is that a dude comically slipping naturally escalated into "the entire history of the universe is instantly re-written."

There is an art to creating superpowers. Spider-Man has remained almost unchanged since inception. If you look at heroes that have been re-written a lot it's very often because their powers are ill-defined, too restrictive or not restrictive enough, Very often these types of characters work in small doses but fall apart in continuing series.

I'd definitely agree with that. Spider-Man is clearly very powerful, but yet still clearly very mortal, BUT he's never so mortal that I'm left wondering how he isn't dead yet 50 times over.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: July 24, 2013, 10:23:31 PM

Jack Kirby: I'm getting it.  So if she's in a fight, and the floor is even a little slippery, the villain will slip and fall possibly hitting himself on the noggin?
Stan Lee: EXCELSIOR!

The problem is that a dude comically slipping naturally escalated into "the entire history of the universe is instantly re-written."

There is an art to creating superpowers. Spider-Man has remained almost unchanged since inception. If you look at heroes that have been re-written a lot it's very often because their powers are ill-defined, too restrictive or not restrictive enough, Very often these types of characters work in small doses but fall apart in continuing series.

I'd definitely agree with that. Spider-Man is clearly very powerful, but yet still clearly very mortal, BUT he's never so mortal that I'm left wondering how he isn't dead yet 50 times over.

Yeah, you're just left wondering if THIS one is ACTUALLY Peter Parker or a clone or an alien.

PS, they killed him.

beer geek.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: July 25, 2013, 01:30:01 AM

I'm sure he'll get better!

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: July 25, 2013, 07:43:17 AM

This is the movie forum.  They didn't kill him in the movies.  They just killed him in all the comic universes to undercut the value of the character as a movie tentpole in a bid to get the rights back.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: July 25, 2013, 07:56:28 AM

This is the movie forum.  They didn't kill him in the movies.  They just killed him in all the comic universes to undercut the value of the character as a movie tentpole in a bid to get the rights back.

There has been PLENTY of non movie talk in this thread about the basic structure of the characters that Marvel have/use.

beer geek.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: July 25, 2013, 11:19:32 AM

There has been PLENTY of non movie talk in this thread about the basic structure of the characters that Marvel have/use.
I know.  I was just looking for a way to work in the moves Marvel is making to diminish the film rights of the characters they do not control.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: July 25, 2013, 11:40:49 AM

I don't buy that that is their strategy. Not even a little bit.

beer geek.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: July 25, 2013, 11:58:59 AM

Yeah, you're just left wondering if THIS one is ACTUALLY Peter Parker or a clone or an alien.

They didn't kill him because they had problems writing his character due to his powers. The fact that they killed him (sort of) for various other reasons is not particularly relevant.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: July 25, 2013, 12:20:27 PM

They didn't kill him because they had problems writing his character due to his powers. The fact that they killed him (sort of) for various other reasons is not particularly relevant.

I think you're reading too much into my comments. I was merely making fun of marvel and the clone peter parker stuff.

beer geek.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: July 25, 2013, 12:45:28 PM

I think you're reading too much into my comments. I was merely making fun of marvel and the clone peter parker stuff.
Wait, how do you know it was him reading too much into your comments and not his .... DUM DUM DUM.... clone?

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: July 25, 2013, 12:55:03 PM

Wait, how do you know it was him reading too much into your comments and not his .... DUM DUM DUM.... clone?

beer geek.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: August 11, 2013, 07:29:05 PM

Vin Diesel will be voicing Groot in Guardians of the Galaxy.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: August 11, 2013, 07:42:52 PM

He is Groot!

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: August 12, 2013, 05:20:18 PM

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: August 13, 2013, 08:06:13 AM

That page isn't working for me at all, but it appears the MarvelStudios reddit has a bunch of stuff, including stills.

http://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios

beer geek.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: August 26, 2013, 06:58:00 AM

Feige confirmed that Ronan the Accuser is the main Big Bad of the Guardians movie, but that he may be working for or with Thanos, and that Thanos is the "big bad behind the scenes" who is seen fairly often in the course of the film.

Given the announcement of Ultron for Avengers 2, I think they may be lining up Thanos for Avengers 3 if the Guardians film does well. If by that point they've also had Doctor Strange, Black Panther and Ant-Man films, I could see 3 being a kind of crazy-ass "everybody against a big bad guy" flick.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: August 26, 2013, 07:21:34 AM

Maybe on Thanks for 3, but I don't see them doing a physical fight with Thanks himself until Further down the road.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: August 26, 2013, 07:23:25 AM

Why would the avengers fight Tom Hanks? He seems like such a nice guy.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: August 26, 2013, 07:33:53 AM

Fucking after the fact spell check...

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: August 26, 2013, 07:53:32 AM

I'm not jazzed on the idea of Thanos being a major villain at any point, as I suspect any Thanos story would involve the infinity gauntlet and thus be stupid.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: August 26, 2013, 07:58:11 AM

I'm not jazzed on the idea of Thanos being a major villain at any point, as I suspect any Thanos story would involve the infinity gauntlet and thus be stupid.

It's not like one of the gems has shown up in one of the movies or anyt..... oh wait.

beer geek.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: August 26, 2013, 07:59:37 AM

Worse than that :

The Infinity Gauntlet is glimpsed briefly during the Thor adaptation film. It is seen in Odin's treasure room.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: August 26, 2013, 08:24:08 AM

They're not beholden to the comic continuities.  The Infinity Gauntlet will clearly be a 'thing', but it may not be right out of the comics.  I think they'll change a lot - for example, I doubt we'll ever see Thanos humoping the leg of any physical manifestation of Death.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: August 26, 2013, 09:05:10 AM

Thinking about it more I wouldn't be surprised if the angle they take is that the IG makes Thanos powerful in ways comparable to the Avengers - stronger than Hulk, smarter than Iron Man, etc. Sort of like an Avengers version of Super Skrull. Or even if it gives him massive power that's how he chooses to use it.

I don't think you can write a story around a guy who can do anything. The original IG series is proof of that - collecting the gems in Thanos Quest was cool, but the actual IG series was dogshit.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: August 26, 2013, 07:14:30 PM

Starlin's version of Thanos has always been expressly about a guy who invariably defeats himself because he doesn't believe he's worthy of either ruling the universe or of the love of Death. Problem was that at the end of IG, he supposedly recognizes that and quits for good. It's not an interesting story or bad guy either way--it's Starlin's Mary-Sue version of a 'profound' bad guy who learns a lesson about power, and as such is just not very interesting.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #169 on: August 29, 2013, 11:29:42 AM

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: August 29, 2013, 12:01:08 PM

Yeah, kind of left field casting, but I'm fine with it.

beer geek.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: August 29, 2013, 12:47:53 PM

I kept reading this as James Woods and thinking it was awesome. James Spader is ok though.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: August 29, 2013, 01:03:55 PM

I can see it. He can definitely play a cold, calculating but somehow needy character, and that's a good take for Ultron.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: August 29, 2013, 01:39:20 PM

It's just gonna be voice tho, right ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: August 29, 2013, 01:44:18 PM

I imagined so, even before this casting news. I figured Ultron would be CG anyway.

beer geek.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 71 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  
Jump to: