Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 02:24:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: RIP M.A.R. Barker 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP M.A.R. Barker  (Read 1295 times)
Numtini
Terracotta Army

on: March 17, 2014, 06:34:39 PM

I have no idea if anyone even remembers Tekumel or Empire of the Petal Throne or the other gaming or fiction materials spawned out of it, but MAR Barker died last week at the age of 83. For people looking for an alternative to the standard "D&D" world backgrounds, Tekumel was the original "other option." My friends favored the somewhat easier to comprehend Glorantha and I remember Tekumel as a world that was completely out of my comfort zone and felt like I needed a graduate degree to just understand. It was just as fully realized as Middle Earth, but very foreign and all Silmarilian and no Hobbit. I finally got a taste of what it was all about in his novels and it was pretty incredible.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 08:39:34 PM

Yeah, it is pretty strange stuff. It does that sci-fi/fantasy crossover thing that I don't especially care for personally but it is certainly immensely detailed and pretty interesting if you like world-building.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 07:16:52 PM

Time to get my copy out of the closet and revisit. Haven't looked at it for some years. Was a mind-blowing thing when I was a teenager.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 07:11:21 PM

I don't know how I missed this entirely.  Tekumel, I mean.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 09:06:55 AM

It was an amazing bit of world-creation, really. Deserves to have a wider reputation than it does.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 03:53:21 PM

Yeah, it was basically about 20 years ahead of its time as far as getting a wide audience.  For the 70s it was fucking weird.  After a couple decades of a million other settings that each have a handful of strange things to acclimate one to non-medieval-europeness, not to mention the bits and pieces of Tekumel leaking out into other genres, the Tekumel Parade of Weirdness has moved up to 'pretty neat' imo.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: RIP M.A.R. Barker  
Jump to: