Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 06:34:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 1014818 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2415 on: September 21, 2015, 07:19:28 AM

It has happened.  I'm convinced to switch to a Mac for work.  Summarily this is because I'm now developing & deploying software.  Turns out this is an enormous pain on Windows.  Unless maybe you are developing for Windows, but I'm not at all convinced about that.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2416 on: September 21, 2015, 08:26:12 AM

Shouldn't you be on an open-source *nix distro then, rather than the Apple-branded version?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2417 on: September 21, 2015, 08:54:12 AM

awesome, for real

I'll ask about that.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2418 on: September 21, 2015, 09:34:32 AM

It has happened.  I'm convinced to switch to a Mac for work.  Summarily this is because I'm now developing & deploying software.  Turns out this is an enormous pain on Windows.  Unless maybe you are developing for Windows, but I'm not at all convinced about that.
Welcome to 2005!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2419 on: September 21, 2015, 09:44:19 AM

Thanks!  Glad to be here.

Related to this Mac situation, I asked for a big monitor and they ordered this: Seiki SE39UY04 39-Inch 4K Ultra HD 120Hz LED TV

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #2420 on: September 21, 2015, 11:48:24 AM

39 inch is too small.

That's 4k on a 55-inch LG UB8500.  Normally I don't do LG televisions, but the current selection that will do 4:4:4 color at 60hz is limited...

(Feel free to critique my office, btw)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 12:07:10 PM by Polysorbate80 »

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #2421 on: September 21, 2015, 12:00:27 PM

Welcome to 2005!

Heh, thanks, I was trying really hard to not post that this morning.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #2422 on: September 21, 2015, 01:11:08 PM

I'm not a dev, but in my experience MacOS has few enough modifications from FreeBSD at the core level that after you open a terminal you can pretty much forget you're running an Apple product. The OS has enough little things that bug me that I'll suffer through configuring yet another Linux install rather than use it, but it works well for many of the tech people I've interacted with. There are a few gotchas, mostly relating to either package management or BSD-specific stuff that Linux users don't know how to deal with, but it's the closest thing to being the best of both worlds in terms of being a supported, standardized workstation system with a decent UI out-of-the-box, and still being easy to set up a development environment that doesn't suck ass.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2423 on: September 22, 2015, 05:48:29 AM

easy to set up a development environment that doesn't suck ass.

This is all I want.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2424 on: September 22, 2015, 09:08:11 AM

Your office is too neat, Poly.  It's scary.  It doesn't look like anyone works there.  It looks like a trap.  I would not expect serial killers to be hiding behind your ginormous TV but I'm sure they are waiting there to kill me. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2425 on: September 23, 2015, 03:22:47 PM

The Mac is online and, as predicted, I have no idea how to use it.  OK, some idea.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2426 on: September 23, 2015, 03:45:33 PM

Edit: correction, fix CTRL key first

Step 1: remap Control to the Caps Lock key (System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Modifier Keys)

Step 2: replace Terminal with iTerm2: https://www.iterm2.com/
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 03:47:19 PM by Trippy »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2427 on: September 23, 2015, 05:02:39 PM

Awesome.

I did managed to clone one of our private repos already from terminal.  Can't wait for that new monitor to come in.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #2428 on: September 24, 2015, 03:50:37 PM

I was toying with the idea of buying an iMac for home and to maybe look into this Swift language but then I asked some apple fans at work and found out they can no longer be used as external monitors?  Is that true and why did they do that, I would have had an easier time justifying the purchase if I could have at least used it as a monitor for my PC as well.

I guess I could buy an air but then I'd need to buy a keyboard, mouse and the crazy expensive adaptor to make use of that one output port it has (which I also don't understand).  I guess apple just really doesn't like ports?

And can you develop code and test it out on an actual iPhone or is even personal mucking about gated through the app store?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2429 on: September 24, 2015, 04:21:30 PM

I was toying with the idea of buying an iMac for home and to maybe look into this Swift language but then I asked some apple fans at work and found out they can no longer be used as external monitors?
Not true as long as it's not a Retina 5K model

Is that true and why did they do that, I would have had an easier time justifying the purchase if I could have at least used it as a monitor for my PC as well.
Well why didn't you say you wanted to use this with a PC in the first place why so serious? Compatibility may be hit or miss using a PC. In theory if you can finagle your video output to be a resolution and frequency the iMac can handle and it's sending the signal over a DisplayPort or Thunderbolt cable it should still work.

And can you develop code and test it out on an actual iPhone or is even personal mucking about gated through the app store?
No you can't -- every time you want to deploy your own dev app to your phone you have to get Apple's approval which takes weeks and weeks...NOT!

You do still need a developer's account to deploy your own apps to your phone, though (app needs to be signed with your dev key to install on phone).
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 04:23:27 PM by Trippy »
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #2430 on: September 24, 2015, 04:28:16 PM

You do still need a developer's account to deploy your own apps to your phone, though (app needs to be signed with your dev key to install on phone).

I'm quoting that because that's an extremely important point.  It's not horribly expensive, it adds another $100 to your toy per year to mess around with iphone development.

edit:
I guess I could buy an air but then I'd need to buy a keyboard, mouse and the crazy expensive adaptor to make use of that one output port it has (which I also don't understand).  I guess apple just really doesn't like ports?

I use synergy to get around that and just slave it all to my windows box at home.  It can be a pita to get working properly on the mac though, or was for me.
http://synergy-project.org/
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 04:30:12 PM by Ard »
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #2431 on: September 24, 2015, 04:48:12 PM

No you can't -- every time you want to deploy your own dev app to your phone you have to get Apple's approval which takes weeks and weeks...NOT!
That's literally what I've heard from people who don't actually have any first hand experience so it's good to know it's an urban myth, even if I have to pay a hundred bucks a year like Ard said.

More on topic - I hate my job now that all the old management I respected and admired have been replaced by corporate lackeys more interested in bullshit metrics than actual work getting done.  If it can't be summed up by your manager on a weekly scorecard in a power point slide with a snazzy graphic you are clearly a drag on the company even if you are the last person standing who actually understands how over a decade's worth or proprietary software we developed works - software without which the company simply stops.

That said, being the only person maintaining all that old code while management wants massive changes is giving me so much stress that I think I might die at my desk so it would be great to learn something new and move on to a clean slate.  I don't know how many people have had to maintain code that they themselves wrote fifteen years ago but it is a humbling and demoralizing situation.  All of it should just be replaced in a great firey purge but it's too important.  I managed to rewrite most of it once but the upgrade was refused because the old stuff all worked so they didn't want to risk replacing it.

I am so tired of java.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2432 on: September 25, 2015, 05:13:40 AM

We can have a contest.  Is it worse to maintain your own 15-year-old code, or someone else's uncommented Perl?

Hell, everyone pitch in for this one because I don't want to be the winner.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #2433 on: September 25, 2015, 07:18:35 AM

We can have a contest.  Is it worse to maintain your own 15-year-old code, or someone else's uncommented Perl?
How about 50 year old hardware that wasn't well documented, has had at least 5 engineers resign from it, & at least 2 dozen technicians who think they know what they're doing modify it when it breaks to get it running again?  And you have 275 of them.  That was my former job.
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #2434 on: September 25, 2015, 01:51:20 PM

At least with your own code, there's some tiny chance you might be able to recreate the mindset that led to whatever got written.

I don't think anything can beat having to "maintain" Perl. Perl is a write-only language.

How about mission-critical code written by non-developers whose closest brush to education was working through "Learn Java in 21 days" while writing it? You could tell what chapter they were on for each part of the code base. That led to a great discussion with management about just how much money was "saved" through outsourcing.

Another fun one: contractor-written code that used the style guide as a laundry list of things to avoid at all costs, and used great idioms like "everything in the system happens as side effects of constructors".

Or spending 6 months on an already-late project trying to isolate a problem that turned out to be due to hardware whose capabilities had been misrepresented, and whose relevant diagnostic tests literally consisted of printf("pass"); ?

Or deploying a system in an hardware-constrainted environment where it turned out that our development partners had managed to produce a launcher/execution manager that consumed over 80% of the system's resources? At least junking their 8 months of work and replacing it with a few scripts kept everything from imploding...

None of the above involved Perl, thankfully.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2435 on: September 27, 2015, 08:16:08 AM

It's lose-lose.

On the one hand you're forced to admit how often you were a dumbass.  On the other, you pull your hair out over how big a dumbass the other person was.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #2436 on: September 27, 2015, 12:00:08 PM

I use synergy to get around that and just slave it all to my windows box at home.  It can be a pita to get working properly on the mac though, or was for me.
http://synergy-project.org/
Whut. Is Synergy still alive? Development of it had all but stopped some years back... so I switched to Input Director. And then to some Microsoft program. Hm. Mouse Without Borders, maybe. Both of those are Windows only though.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #2437 on: September 27, 2015, 09:38:43 PM

Honestly, synergy is one of those things that didn't really need more continued development.  It worked.  It still works.  Nuff said really.  The only big change is that they went to a pay model on the newer versions since they weren't making anything off of it, but you can still find the old free versions that still work fine if you're inclined.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2438 on: September 28, 2015, 05:39:24 AM

relevant diagnostic tests literally consisted of printf("pass");

Nice.  Going in the code bank.

Also:
We simply ask that you be innovative without mistakes while working as a team to achieve individual performance goals.
https://twitter.com/docondev/status/642701943060738048

Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #2439 on: September 28, 2015, 09:27:12 AM

Honestly, synergy is one of those things that didn't really need more continued development.  It worked.  It still works.  Nuff said really.  The only big change is that they went to a pay model on the newer versions since they weren't making anything off of it, but you can still find the old free versions that still work fine if you're inclined.
I don't remember exactly why I stopped using it, but I think it was because I switched to Windows XP (or maybe it was Windows 2000 :P) and it had some troubles (and hadn't been updated for a looong time at that point). Great to see it still going strong.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2440 on: September 30, 2015, 12:33:24 PM

While looking for work, I applied for a slot at GA Tech but didn't get a call.  Now I get a LinkedIn message from the hiring mgr regarding a systems engineer slot.  I don't think I'm going to reply positively.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2441 on: September 30, 2015, 01:10:48 PM

You don't want to work for a university unless you're angling for free tuition for the kid. Just ask the guys here who work for them.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #2442 on: September 30, 2015, 04:11:32 PM

"Have you ever worked in the private sector?  It's brutal!  They expect results!" 
-Dr. Ray Stantz (Dan Aykroyd) Ghostbusters
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #2443 on: September 30, 2015, 05:05:32 PM

You don't want to work for a university unless you're angling for free tuition for the kid. Just ask the guys here who work for them.
Even the private "prestigious" ones on the west coast: unless you're getting tuition for the kid, stay away.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2444 on: September 30, 2015, 06:34:09 PM

I wouldn't say that. But expecting anything hiring related at an academic institution to be fast (as it sounds like Yeg is complaining about) is not a good idea. Even a fast job search takes months in most cases to get from closing date to the point where they call people for interviews.

But Yeg doesn't strike me as the type of person who would enjoy working in academia, that I agree on  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2445 on: September 30, 2015, 07:50:25 PM

My co-worker that was getting the bum rush out the door finally had his last day today. He was my officemate so it's going to be weird and quiet.

They did him really dirty and it really fucking pisses me off. The middle/upper management are presumably on the way out if the Justify Your Existence Email->Director Evaluation->One of my two Supervisors leaving chain of events is any indication. Why the fuck are they punting people?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2446 on: October 01, 2015, 06:38:09 AM

Businesses.  They do stupid shit.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2447 on: October 01, 2015, 07:03:16 AM

Businesses.  They do stupid shit.

Early this year our parent company decided we didn't need an IT team on site anymore. We're a tech company of 200 employees in that office.

So they canned the five guys and told us we could contact home office IT support for assistance. Welp, with nobody on the ground to update software and install systems, we ended up with about 15 of 200 people sitting around doing literally nothing while they waited for computers to be shipped back and forth.

Of course they learned their lesson, so they hired one new IT guy onsite who is doing the work of five people and looks ready to jump ship after just a few months.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #2448 on: October 01, 2015, 07:12:20 AM

After being thoroughly miserable at my current manufacturing gig, an opportunity is finally opening for me to get out of that hellpit and move into that boat-maker I mentioned a while back, which is finally going to open soon. They started applications today, and I hopped in on the first wave of them.

$9-14/hour, depending on qualifications (I can maybe wrangle $10-11). 10 hours a day, 5 days a week, first shift only. I'd also have to travel only about a mile to work, as opposed to the 18 miles each way I do now.

But there are no benefits. At all.

On the one hand, I could deal with the loss of pay without a lot of problems, but losing health insurance unless I pay wholly out of pocket? That is massive.

I don't know what to do anymore.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #2449 on: October 01, 2015, 09:17:54 AM

Can you sign up for ACA?  You might qualify for nice subsidies so that would let you work there, have coverage and you can jump ship once you find a better place.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: