Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 03:12:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: GTA San Andreas Reviews... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GTA San Andreas Reviews...  (Read 11433 times)
schild
Administrator

on: October 26, 2004, 08:29:06 AM

I need some help here.

Quote from: IGN
But that's why San Andreas is so awesome: it's a world that can offer different people different things. If a solid storyline and some incredibly tough missions are all that you're looking for, then you can have them. If you'd rather spend your time doing nothing but exploring the city and finding new ways to make money, destroy property, and dress like a pimp, then you can do that too. Live the life you want to live, do the things you want to do; it's entirely up to you. But however you choose to do it, do it now. Drop everything and do it right now. This is the best PlayStation 2 game ever made. Period.

I don't know how the reviewer said all that with a cock in his mouth. Gamespot was a little more reasonable (as they tend to be):

Quote from: Gamespot
Usually, when a game tries to do a million different things, it's an overambitious hodge-podge that can't manage to get its different parts down cold. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas has you doing many, many more things than any previous GTA game, and while some of them do work a little better than others, the strength of all these different gameplay elements--too many to count--makes for a powerful package that does not disappoint, despite the extremely high standards that Grand Theft Auto established and that San Andreas needed to live up to. With its strong story, well-written dialogue, terrific voice cast, impressive graphics, great in-game sound, and extremely entertaining and varied gameplay, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is a stupendous thrill ride that shouldn't be missed.

Can someone here please do a proper review? I don't actually want to play the game. I don't have dreams of being a black guy killing my own people to pimp out my wheels. But I figure someone out here does...or something.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 08:43:40 AM

I don't want to be an italian drug dealer, but Vice City is a great game. I'm all over GTA:SA....in six months when the pc port ships. I lived in both LA and SF in the early 90s,should be just like old times.

And the soundtrack has Amos Moses by the incomparable Jerry Reed. Can't go wrong! I posted the complete soundtracks over at grimwell.com, great track lists.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 09:07:50 AM

Quote from: schild
I don't know how the reviewer said all that with a cock in his mouth.

Years of practice?

I'll play it when it comes out on a decent console (X-Box) instead of the jaggy king PS2.

Liquidator
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 09:09:56 AM

I read the Gamespot review and it sounds as if Rockstar has really outdone themselves.  

Although...

t's not all fun and sun when it comes to San Andreas' graphics, though. As in previous GTA games, the frame rate in San Andreas is pretty unstable. It always runs at a playable rate, but depending on what you're doing, how fast you're doing it, and how many other objects are onscreen, the frame rate can vary wildly.

This has me a little worried.  Being that I'm playing in the WoW beta and with the other AAA titles coming out shortly, I'm going to be up to my neck in games with no time to play them.  The frame rate issue will most likely keep me from buying the PS2 copy and waiting for a PC port where I am sure the frame rate issue will be resolved.

BTW, I didn't know this, but in GTA:SA you can get a parachute.  Saw a video of someone playing: apparently you can climb to the top of sky scrapers and do some base jumping.  Sweet!

AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 09:18:52 AM

Quote from: HaemishM

I'll play it when it comes out on a decent console (X-Box) instead of the jaggy king PS2.

Kind of what I was thinking too, I'm sure a port is inevitable, and besides right now I have too many games to play as is.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 09:45:08 AM

Buy me a PS2 and you can have your review in a couple days!  It's sad that it's the only one of the big 3 I don't own, with all of it's yummy RPG goodness. I find it hard to spend money on something I find technically lacking even with the possibility of playing some sweet turned based RPG goodness looking straight back at me.

Well, maybe if my wife does something dumb and buys herself a $400 handbag I could turn it into "WHY DID YOU DO THAT? My turn" purchase.

-Rasix
ShinerBock
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 09:52:50 AM

It's basically Morrowind in the hood.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 09:57:22 AM

I'm picking this up as soon as I get off work tonight. Gimme a few days and I will drop you a small review.
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 09:59:12 AM

/me has this pre-ordered.

Its release is on the 29th, but since I've never done the whole pre-order thing before, I don't know if I get it on the 29th, or it gets shipped to me on the 29th.

I will do a light review when I get it.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 26, 2004, 10:13:28 AM

bah they've all sucked since GTA 1.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: October 26, 2004, 10:24:44 AM

Preorders are already in Best Buys and EBGames. Oh, and Gamestop. So you should just be able to go get it.
BlackSky

Email
Reply #11 on: October 26, 2004, 10:46:49 AM

I work at a mall, and our EB and Gamestop stores got the game in at 7 pm last night. Both stores were fucking madhouses. They were handing out numbers, people were yelling and screaming, it was insanity. EB had a line out the store and about 50 feet down the hallway.

I don't even like GTA.
Toast
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 26, 2004, 11:44:59 AM

I'll buy it if only to horrify and fascinate my girlfriend and/or visiting relatives. I hope there's one available after work.

A good idea is a good idea forever.
Hanzii
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 26, 2004, 12:24:43 PM

When is the computer version due out?

ah, nevermind I have review copies of Pacific Fighters and Leisure Suit Larry on my desk... I'm sure they're just as fun. At least combined.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to discuss this more with you, but I'm not allowed to post in Politics anymore.

Bruce
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #14 on: October 26, 2004, 12:24:58 PM

Soundtrack status?

I thought VC was okay-to-good, but I literally spent hours cruising around aimlessly on a motorcycle listening to 'Billy Jean'.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #15 on: October 26, 2004, 01:28:05 PM

Damn, I'm feeling a bit envious here...Time to shell out for a PS2. So many good titles are coming out from here to Christmas. What the fuck do X-Box owners get?

Fable
DOA
Halo 2? Sure, I'll play it, but it's just a shooter. BIG FUCKING DEAL.

Only KoToR II stands up.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #16 on: October 26, 2004, 01:46:01 PM

Quote from: sidereal
Soundtrack status?

Here's the list:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/25/news_6111346.html
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #17 on: October 26, 2004, 01:51:27 PM

Quote from: stray
Damn, I'm feeling a bit envious here...Time to shell out for a PS2. So many good titles are coming out from here to Christmas.

There is a new PS2 out. It is only 1 inch thick, and comes with the network adaptor. Its like $149.99. Not a bad deal. Specially if you buy it at best buy, and get the Extra warranty thing that lets you trade it in, for full price and get a PS3 when it comes out.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #18 on: October 26, 2004, 01:54:01 PM

Nice

10. Bell Biv Devoe (BBD) “Poison”

That brings me back

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #19 on: October 26, 2004, 02:03:22 PM

Ultramagnetic MC’s “Critical Beatdown”
Written by Cedric Miller and Keith Thornton
Courtesy of Roadrunner Records

I've played 2 games in past month with this track (Def Jam, THUG2). A year ago not even many Hip Hop fans knew who Kool Keith was, let alone when Ultramagnetic released this. Now it's in my video games.

Creedence Clearwater Revival “Green River”
Written by John Fogerty
Courtesy of Fantasy

Best CCR song ever.
Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 26, 2004, 02:13:09 PM

Quote from: BlackSky
I work at a mall, and our EB and Gamestop stores got the game in at 7 pm last night. Both stores were fucking madhouses. They were handing out numbers, people were yelling and screaming, it was insanity.

In the spirit of GTA, someone should have pulled out an Uzi and started spraying.

Um, never mind.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #21 on: October 26, 2004, 03:02:35 PM

Any game that lets you do a drive-by to "Welcome to the Jungle" has a place in my cold black heart.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #22 on: October 26, 2004, 03:22:15 PM

Quote from: Paelos
Any game that lets you do a drive-by to "Welcome to the Jungle" has a place in my cold black heart.

Heh, yeah...I was gonna slam that choice because I don't care much for GnR, but that track is perfect for this game. After all, wasn't it first released in a Dirty Harry movie or something?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #23 on: October 26, 2004, 03:26:08 PM

Damn.. I might have to pick this one up for the soundtrack, despite my moral objections to it.

Hmm.. nah I'll just get the MP3s.   It'll let me avoid bugaboos like "Free Bird" and Rod Stweart.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #24 on: October 26, 2004, 04:11:21 PM

Fernando's not DJing a station this time around?  NOOOO!

I hope we at least get some new radio spots for "Fernando's New Beginnings."

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #25 on: October 26, 2004, 04:21:45 PM

Quote from: stray
Quote from: Paelos

Heh, yeah...I was gonna slam that choice because I don't care much for GnR, but that track is perfect for this game. After all, wasn't it first released in a Dirty Harry movie or something?

Yeah, it was "Dirty Harry: The Dead Pool" and who sung it in the movie?

None other than Jim Carry. Right before he was murdered.

How can you not like a band with lyrics like these? "Turn around bitch, I got a use for you. Besides, you aint got nothing better to do. And Im bored."
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: October 26, 2004, 04:24:58 PM

Quote from: schild
Preorders are already in Best Buys and EBGames. Oh, and Gamestop. So you should just be able to go get it.

Yeah, but I'm a second-rate gaming citizen, aka: Australian. At least we get it at the same time as our imperial masters this time, woot!

EDIT: Spelling.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 26, 2004, 04:44:04 PM

In the spirit of this "game" I encourage you to steal it (literally) and stick it to teh Man!
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #28 on: October 26, 2004, 09:45:04 PM

The uninspired song selections turned me off more than anything.

Every time I noticed a great track in the mixes, it was just such a poor and populist choice.

Take just a couple of good artists and sustitute better grooves and more appropriate rhymes:

Eric B. & Rakim: Casulties of War
Soul II Soul: Love Enuff
Bob James: Rush Hour
Barrington Levy: Robber Man
The Upsetters: Eastwood Rides Again
Depeche Mode: Fly On The Windscreen
Living Color: Auslander

Substitute any one of the Trax house numbers with:

Phuture: Acid Tracks

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 26, 2004, 10:08:57 PM

Quote from: Trippy
Quote from: sidereal
Soundtrack status?

Here's the list:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/25/news_6111346.html

Fuck... Half of what made Vice City great was the soundtrack. Ah well hopefully they'll still make it really easy to import Mp3's, no way I'm listening to that soundtrack.

Wiiiiii!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #30 on: October 27, 2004, 07:26:25 AM

Every time I noticed a great track in the mixes, it was just such a poor and populist choice.

I agree. I like the soundtrack, it's got some really great songs on it, but Freebird was a silly choice. Great song, way too long. After I saw that, I went looking for American Pie, another bathroom break song from my days as a DJ. Call Me The Breeze would've been a better song. And Willie's version of Crazy is ok, but Whiskey River would've been better and more appropriate, maybe.

But I don't really see me loading in the mp3s until the second playthrough, lots of good stuff in this one.

Did I mention it has Amos Moses? He used to hit 'em in the head with a stump, you know.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #31 on: October 27, 2004, 08:03:58 AM

I started playing last night, so its still a little early for a review.  I'll mention a couple things though:

The little control improvements really make a big deal to game play.
The game is fuckin huge!
No transition screens so far, other than entering buildings
You can kill hos with a can of spray paint (up to you if this is good or bad)

Oh, and trying to escape a drive by shooting on a BMX is teh suck.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: October 27, 2004, 08:31:05 AM

It was James Carrey - Jim Carrey's evil twin.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #33 on: October 27, 2004, 09:14:26 AM

Quote from: Righ
The uninspired song selections turned me off more than anything.

Take just a couple of good artists and sustitute better grooves and more appropriate rhymes:

Eric B. & Rakim: Casulties of War
Soul II Soul: Love Enuff
Bob James: Rush Hour
Barrington Levy: Robber Man
The Upsetters: Eastwood Rides Again
Depeche Mode: Fly On The Windscreen
Living Color: Auslander

Substitute any one of the Trax house numbers with:

Phuture: Acid Tracks

You remind me of record store guys that need a boot to the skull. Get over yourself, High Fidelity.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #34 on: October 27, 2004, 10:37:27 AM

Quick review after playing 2 hours.

Graphics, more of the same. Lots of really bright skys blowing out the dark colors.

Controls, Gah, this is one of my MAJOR gripes with the game. You can no longer use the thumbPAD to control your character. You HAVE to use the stick. This is huge for me, cause with the PS2 controller, I much prefer using the pad over the stick. Honestly, this is almost a game breaker for me.

Content, well, Fuck you nigga'. Lets go jack some nigga' pims for their heat and get me backs to finish off wit' mah hos'.

If you like ghetto culture, you are in luck. For every one else, it gets old REALLY quick. I think this is the first GTA game where I am actually rooting for the cop chaising me. The main character is such an idiot, I want them to put him in jail, or run him over. Hell, I have already killed him in a car fire multiple times. Nigga'. so, fuck dat ho' bitch.

All I can think of while playing, is teenaged suburban white kids all over America thinking how cool they are, and the outbreak of ebonics. *Shudder*

Other than that, its GTA, its fun. Ill do a more detailed review once I get some more time in.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: GTA San Andreas Reviews...  
Jump to: