Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:25:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Mass Effect: Bring Down the Sky (DLC) announced 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mass Effect: Bring Down the Sky (DLC) announced  (Read 5402 times)
Velorath
Contributor

on: February 06, 2008, 01:38:25 PM

Release date set for March 10th.

The Bring Down the Sky downloadable content pack will be released to Xbox LIVE Marketplace on Monday, March 10 at 2 a.m. PST, and will be available for 400 MS points. This is the first in a series of planned downloadable content that further expands the Mass Effect universe and continues the adventures of Commander Shepard and the Normandy crew.

Bring Down the Sky includes a new uncharted world that introduces the notorious and feared alien race of the Batarians. A Batarian extremist group has hijacked a mobile asteroid station in the Asgard system, setting it on a collision course with the nearby colony world of Terra Nova. Only Commander Shepard can save the millions of innocent civilians before the asteroid completes its deadly descent.

Bring Down the Sky contains approximately 90 minutes of heart-pounding action and a new Achievement worth 50 Gamerscore points.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 02:11:36 PM

YES!

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 03:22:56 PM

45 mins of that 90 will be spent in elevators.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 05:55:44 PM

Oooh.  ME shiny.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 08:09:37 PM

So, $5 bucks for a random planet mission? HRRMMMM.   Could be worth it IF they put some decent effort into it.   I don't want to pay $5 bucks for monkey chasing or a non-skippable thresher maw encounter.

I never found the loading to be that bad once you got off the Citadel.  Then again, the other game I was playing at the time was The Witcher.   awesome, for real

-Rasix
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 08:54:54 PM

I can honestly say that there are no elevators in BDtS.

There are some stairs.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 08:56:58 PM

Stormwaltz told me not to post this, but I had to. Here's a screenshot of the stairs. Needless to say, I was impressed.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 06:16:09 AM

I really hope the DLC is multilingual. I already had to buy the core game twice and plan on pawning off the german one to some unsuspecting victim once my UK version arrives for the third playthrough!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 06:23:07 AM

Listen, Stormy. I know I've been busting your balls about the PC version, but did you guys have to name this content like that? That's just mean!

Tinfoil Hat

schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 06:24:57 AM

oh

i get it now

it only took a post in every thread mentioning bioware or mass effect

sky wants it on the PC

it's all so clear
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 08:34:02 AM

Are you tryin' to bring a brotha down?
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 09:00:35 AM

I know I've been busting your balls about the PC version

Oh, no worries. I also need a PC version, so I can finally play the game I spent three years of my life on.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 09:11:33 AM

Are you tryin' to bring a brotha down?

Yes. Get a fucking console.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 10:06:15 AM

new Achievement worth 50 Gamerscore points.

The important bit?
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 10:33:07 AM

Mass effect horse..err...APC armour pack?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 02:50:27 PM

And now the really important question.

Will THIS have the virtual sodomy I was promised?
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 12:34:07 AM

So this expansion is going to have full-on voice-acted dialog and cut-scenes?  Or is it going to be another recycled map from the rest of the game?  Because I would just love to investigate that same mine shaft for the 300th time!
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 01:03:45 PM

The important bit?

What is the point of this gamerscore anyway? Is it just epeen?
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 01:08:38 PM

Pretty much, yeah.

I'm probably getting this, as long as it's decent side adventure and not more 'explore planet', 'clear bunker of bad guys' that you find on some planets.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 03:48:41 AM

Pretty much, yeah.

I'm probably getting this, as long as it's decent side adventure and not more 'explore planet', 'clear bunker of bad guys' that you find on some planets.

It's up for download now, and it's pretty much exactly that.  Ride around to three locations on the asteroid and clear out the bad guys in three near identical facilities which you'll quickly recognize, and then off to the final part which actually has a more unique design (but is still fairly small).  Unless you're the type who likes to do every sidequest, you can skip this DLC and not really miss much.  It succeeded in getting me to do another run through the game though.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 10, 2008, 05:56:02 AM

The important bit?

What is the point of this gamerscore anyway? Is it just epeen?

In most games. In Mass Effect it also unlocks extras for you, like +5% experience, or ways to use weapons on characters that normally can't use them, that kind of thing.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 10, 2008, 07:04:43 AM

sigh it's the only thing that console gamers can be proud of. I can't compete in that thing, cuz it's the special Olympics you know. Even if you win, etcetera etcetera.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #22 on: March 10, 2008, 01:30:30 PM

um.. what?

I'd have a go at you for the console hate, but I can't understand the garbled sentence structure before "special olympics."

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #23 on: March 10, 2008, 01:39:45 PM

That's what's really disappointing about most of the DLC.  They could set up an "episodic" content model, where people pay $5-10 or so every month for a new chapter in an ongoing story (with discounts/bulk packs for old chapters) feeding into the next major title.  But instead most of the time you get a "standalone" adventure with about 20 hours of work by an intern, and about 4-5 hours of gameplay.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 10, 2008, 07:00:19 PM

Explanation: my post is a half-assed attempt at making fun achievement points.
I do not see the point at Xbox Achievement system but the fact that companies continue to advertise it and seeing X-Boys continuing to lap it up amuses me.

It just shows a gauge of 'Hey guys look, I've done more stuff in the game than you do?'
I wondered how or why they added that in during the design stage of an XBOX title. is this a requirement by Microsoft?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 11, 2008, 05:50:37 AM

It's easy. Someone looked at mmo and saw kids who would camp the shit out of something, playing over and over whether they're having fun or not, just to get some stupid little item they'll outgrow when the next content patch comes out.

Bam, achievements and content patches in consoles games.

Mmotherfuckers™.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 11, 2008, 05:52:19 AM

It just shows a gauge of 'Hey guys look, I've done more stuff in the game than you do?'
I wondered how or why they added that in during the design stage of an XBOX title. is this a requirement by Microsoft?

Yes, it's a design requirement. And honestly, it's fun. It's got a Pavlov's dog component to it. Think of it as a modern day "you got the high score!" And like I said, with Mass Effect achievements actually affect gameplay so it's an awesome use of them I hope to see more companies doing.

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 11, 2008, 06:23:25 AM

Mass Effect has the first achievements that were actually worth getting imo. My game list and achievements... achieved, is pretty sad actually. And I'm ok with that.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 11, 2008, 07:36:02 AM

i pray this Windows Games Live never come to fruition then.
It'd be funny to see people hack their server tho'

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Mass Effect: Bring Down the Sky (DLC) announced  
Jump to: