Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 09:01:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: State of The Game - Mark Jacobs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: State of The Game - Mark Jacobs  (Read 623228 times)
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #630 on: October 22, 2008, 04:41:55 AM

Look, I agree with you in theory 100%.  However, what we've seen so far is that a sizable percentage players don't want to leave the scenarios.  We will keep upping the rewards but my concern is that a sizable percentage will still want to stay in the scenarios because that is what they are used to doing so I want to be prepared for that.  It doesn't mean we will do it but it would be foolish of us not to prepare for it. 

Late to this thread but I have to chime in. I don't get this at all.

People who like RVR aren't doing RVR because the rewards for it suck. Makes sense. (In MMO land anyway) The proposal is to make the rewards good. The new problem is that some people still don't want to do RVR...how is that a problem?

Isn't different people finding different things they enjoy a GOOD thing? Isn't that the whole point of having different activities in the first place? It's like building a road and then complaining that CARS ARE DRIVING ON IT!!!

If people running scenarios is in itself a problem then scenarios should be removed and your game design is fundamentally broken. But it sounds like the problem is that even people who don't enjoy them do them because they are compelled to.

I feel compelled to say that no scenarios does not equal more RvR. I can flick that scenario switch, go and do other things, then choose if I want to take part in a scenario that pops. RvR requires me to patrol a zone that is pretty much empty just in case some enemy are lurking there - this may reflect the boredom of war, but I'm not paying $15 a month for that particular privilege.

That the whole "duh how bout we take out scenarios that'll fix things" line even came up and has gained traction shows how much Mythic is scrambling to work out what to do.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #631 on: October 22, 2008, 05:25:13 AM

WAR is going to trail off into numbers lower than peak EQ1 and WoW shall be bestride the world as a colossus more than ever. And deep in our bitter little hearts we'll be glad that WoW is around, because without it the most successful game in Western MMO history would still be a ten year old relic that really only succeeded to that extent on a fluke.
...and the ten year old relic is still a better game than DAoC.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Sahrokh
Terracotta Army

Reply #632 on: October 22, 2008, 05:56:07 AM

What I really like about this whole thread, and the cross-border incursions that the WHA forumites (including the normal hu-mans, starfuckers and manifesto writers) pretty much agree with the f13 crowd in terms of what they want out of the game, how fucked the pre-release supernerfs were, the lack of official forums and so on and on, yet MJ still keeps talking about scenario-free servers, not alienating WoW players and how everything else needs to be superslowgradual but is coming soon

What I find peculiar is how MJ sounds like not liking the feedback and thus leaving a forum for the next, where he hopes to convince anyone again.
Guess what, all those no life forum posters like me, are throwing stones at MJ because they want WAR to succeed not because of some odd hate.

What about suggesting a no scenario server, when the real issue is that the current open RvR implementation just does not cut it?
Forget the scenarios for a second. What would happen if all we had were outdoor RvR? Would it suddenly make RvR exp less pathetic? Would the acquired drops suck somewhat less (I got +melee damage and +melee crit on my class tagged gear... and am a Sorceress)? Would conquering and keeping a castle suddenly bring some "plus" that I have not seen? Because when we got "our" keep, all we really got was an huge hole in our guild budget.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 05:57:53 AM by Sahrokh »
Beign

Email
Reply #633 on: October 22, 2008, 06:04:09 AM

If we didnt have scenarios the game would turn into DAoC.. people would gather at a common area and repeatedly farm each other. (Emain Macha)

A non-scenario server would fail just like all of DAoCs *special* servers. They're always a novel idea, but hardly anyone stays on them. (I.E. DAoC RvR server, PvE server etc)

shred

Email
Reply #634 on: October 22, 2008, 06:22:03 AM

HULK SMASH SHIFT KEY
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 07:17:58 AM by schild »
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #635 on: October 22, 2008, 06:34:14 AM

Look! It's the second coming of e. e. cummings!

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #636 on: October 22, 2008, 06:38:14 AM

Anyone have any idea why almost all the newcomers have a name that doesn't start with a capital letter?  Nothing wrong with that, plenty of community members do it, but its strange that almost all the idiots are doing it.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #637 on: October 22, 2008, 06:38:59 AM

It's hard work pushing that shift key.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 06:43:52 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #638 on: October 22, 2008, 06:41:55 AM

Anyone have any idea why almost all the newcomers have a name that doesn't start with a capital letter?  Nothing wrong with that, plenty of community members do it, but its strange that almost all the idiots are doing it.

Kids. Anti-establishment behavior. The usual crap.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #639 on: October 22, 2008, 06:42:05 AM

Its just how the name generator in WHAbot 1.0 works. I hear there's a content patch for it that is going to allow you to choose whether it creates capitalized names or not and which will increase the posting speed from once every 20 seconds to once every 5 seconds.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #640 on: October 22, 2008, 06:43:25 AM

90 guests are viewing this topic right now.  awesome, for real Hi!  Stay for tea!

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Beign

Email
Reply #641 on: October 22, 2008, 06:48:01 AM

Dammit... I kenw I should've went with bEiGn
Vinadil
Terracotta Army

Reply #642 on: October 22, 2008, 06:51:42 AM

It's hard work pushing that shift key.

On a related note, the "a" button stopped working on my home computer.  It is not that it won't work, I just have to press it twice as hard as the other keys, so my "normal" typing force won't cut it.  Just saying, sometimes it IS hard work pressing a certain key.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #643 on: October 22, 2008, 06:55:26 AM

Wouldn't it be something like 3E1GN or some such?

Side note: I always laugh when I see l33t speak in MMOs because it always feels contrived, like everyone's in on the joke. Meanwhile, in FPS games I do get the sense it's actually how people talk, at least going by the server and player names...
ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #644 on: October 22, 2008, 07:07:59 AM

Specialty and niche servers (in an already niche game) are a bad idea in my book. Specially when so many people feel at a loss for ways to reach out for each other.

I'd like to go on the record as saying that I tried to get a capital A, and was pretty sure I actually did put one in. But I had been drinking my way to illiteracy at the time of my sign up, and cite the confusing placement of my shift key as a direct cause.
zumbos

Email
Reply #645 on: October 22, 2008, 07:43:26 AM

blahblahblahblahimimportantblahblahblah
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 07:48:55 AM by schild »
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #646 on: October 22, 2008, 07:45:13 AM

Looking down at my keyboard I notice that there are 2 shift keys on either side of it in convenient locations. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Kiwoo

Email
Reply #647 on: October 22, 2008, 07:54:50 AM

Now in all this time one mod stood out from the rest. Tiggs (yes, I know, we all love Tiggs) firstly from the SWG forums. Was a sad day for them when she "left".

No we don't and no we weren't. Go away.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 07:55:53 AM by schild »
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #648 on: October 22, 2008, 07:57:27 AM

Looking down at my keyboard I notice that there are 2 shift keys on either side of it in convenient locations. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I just pry up my keys and spell out dirty words with the letters. Impresses the hell out of my co-workers.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
reaper_9782

Email
Reply #649 on: October 22, 2008, 07:57:56 AM

EXCUSE ME

CAN SOMEONE ALERT KOTAKU

IT SEEMS ALL THE SHIFT KEYS HAVE RUN AWAY
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 07:58:31 AM by schild »
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #650 on: October 22, 2008, 08:02:54 AM

Oh, you were so close!  This is like that Japanese obstacle course show (Viking?).  You almost got to the end, but then came the epic faceplant.

I'd have posted this on the denned thread, but I'm not awesome enough to be able to post there. ;_;

Over and out.
fua_9782

Email
Reply #651 on: October 22, 2008, 08:07:19 AM

Read the fucking stickies, douchebag.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 08:26:09 AM by schild »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #652 on: October 22, 2008, 08:10:54 AM

McSteak
Terracotta Army

Reply #653 on: October 22, 2008, 08:18:28 AM

so why does my post get erased, then my account deleted? looks like schild has too much fun on here. you can ban me again if you want i suppose, you're just composte heap any goddamn way. ill just keep on comin back too if i so desire.

I noticed you're gangsta.

I'm pretty gangsta myself.
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #654 on: October 22, 2008, 08:26:03 AM

...and the ten year old relic is still a better game than DAoC.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Yeah, that PvP in EQ is AWESOME. (glare)
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #655 on: October 22, 2008, 08:51:13 AM

Oh, you were so close!  This is like that Japanese obstacle course show (Viking?).  You almost got to the end, but then came the epic faceplant.

Eric Schild Presents... Takeshi's Castle - F13 Edition.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #656 on: October 22, 2008, 08:58:48 AM

General Schild?
STICKIES_9782

Email
Reply #657 on: October 22, 2008, 09:53:32 AM

fail
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 10:01:57 AM by Ookii »
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #658 on: October 22, 2008, 09:55:28 AM

IP Ban in .... 3...2...1...

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #659 on: October 22, 2008, 09:59:11 AM

lol fuck you

Your eloquence has moved me.

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #660 on: October 22, 2008, 10:07:52 AM

IP Ban in .... 3...2...1...

I'm surprised it's taken this long. It's like /b/ and Digg got togethor, had a few cocktails, forgot the condoms, had some babbys and the babbys found their way into our dark corner of the cyberverse. What the babbys doen't realize is that there are grues lurking in the darkness...

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
schild
Administrator

Reply #661 on: October 22, 2008, 10:09:56 AM

What the fuck are babbys?
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #662 on: October 22, 2008, 10:13:37 AM

http://www.somethingawful.com/flash/shmorky/babby.swf

Edit: I was going for teh funny. Sometimes I hit. Mostly I miss.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 10:15:38 AM by raydeen »

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
schild
Administrator

Reply #663 on: October 22, 2008, 10:14:44 AM

So awesome.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #664 on: October 22, 2008, 11:24:27 AM

http://www.somethingawful.com/flash/shmorky/babby.swf

Edit: I was going for teh funny. Sometimes I hit. Mostly I miss.

Ah, internet cavemen make everything funny.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: State of The Game - Mark Jacobs  
Jump to: