Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 12:05:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: State of The Game - Mark Jacobs 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: State of The Game - Mark Jacobs  (Read 623230 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #350 on: October 20, 2008, 01:14:43 PM

- Crafting being overly complicated and annoying You tried a little bit to fix this with seed drop rates but came at it wrong - the problem wasn't how much they dropped, the problem was there are far, far too many different kinds that didn't stack with each other. Get rid of all the adjectives like 'wispy/hairy/horny beardweed seed' and just have beardweed seeds. Same for potions while you're at it. If an initiate's healing potion heals 300, and a healing potion heals 300, then nothing is being added to the game by having those names being different other than making it so they don't stack. That is an irritant, and when you put enough irritants together you lose players just as much or more than you do from Big Issues.
A design philosophy I've advocated since my MUD days.  The big stuff is important, but lots of little irritants do add up, and are often much easier to fix.

Specifically on the seeds we agree.  Sjofn and I already had that discussion, but it's worth pointing out again.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #351 on: October 20, 2008, 01:16:35 PM

I don't know how many of you have made it into Tier 4 yet, but you may not be aware of the potential issues regarding zone capture.

Of course you don't know. You registered for this forum and posted five minutes later. It has been discussed.

This will be entertaining when multiplied 50,000 times.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Micow
Terracotta Army

Reply #352 on: October 20, 2008, 01:21:16 PM

I don't know how many of you have made it into Tier 4 yet, but you may not be aware of the potential issues regarding zone capture.

Of course you don't know. You registered for this forum and posted five minutes later. It has been discussed.

This will be entertaining when multiplied 50,000 times.

I've read through this thread, and I haven't seen zone control even brought up once. Hades made a different thread on the issue, but it was while I was typing my post.
schild
Administrator

Reply #353 on: October 20, 2008, 01:21:46 PM

We discussed that at length in at least 3 threads through 2 forums you can see and possibly one you can't.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #354 on: October 20, 2008, 01:23:38 PM

I'm pretty sure anybody who makes their first post in this thread should be horsewhipped, but it seems that plan is well underway.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
d4rkj3di
Terracotta Army

Reply #355 on: October 20, 2008, 01:25:58 PM

Wait, IainC got fired?
No.
And that's the only comment I can make on the subject.
That's the only one you needed to make. Glad to hear it.

On topic:

Not that schild needs his balls cupped anymore in this thread, but pretty much everything he is saying here is well-thought out and frantically typed. I don't bother at all with any ORvR keep defense or attacks because the former gives no reward at all and the latter makes me roll against 20-40 other people for a poorly itemized chest piece, IF THE GOLD BAG EVEN SHOWS UP. If my chances for that crappy set piece were upped to a 1 in 4 chance I would definitely get one, I might reconsider. Read that as if I do damage to the Keep Lord and he dies, I am not rolling against anyone but the "house". If I get a 75 or higher on my 1-100 roll, there will be a set piece inside the PQ chest with my name on it.

While we still seem to have some of Mark's attention let me add that adding a /level command like the one found in DAOC would lessen the amount of eye-bleeding involved with trying another class. Granted, DAOC is 50 levels vice WAR's 40, so the /level should give R18 instead of 20 perhaps? That would put you at the Tier 2 rank that no longer needs bolstering. Just a thought.
Dessad
Terracotta Army

Reply #356 on: October 20, 2008, 01:31:02 PM

I can appreciate Mark's situation, and I do hope Mythic can turn the game around (the RvR 'side' of things, anyway)--but, for the love of god, why does he have to use the phrase "In terms of ..." in every other paragraph?  I thought only pseudo-intellectuals, politicians, and wannabe 'news people' use this clumsy, idiotic phrase (as a substitue for the phrase "with regard to") to make themselves appear more intelligent.  Doesn't anyone freakin' read any more?

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #357 on: October 20, 2008, 01:40:59 PM

I wish some of the new guys would at least take the time to throw in some bouncing boob anime pic (which I got ragged on about on wTo), a generic Bruce Campbell pic (always a winner), or pic of their character already! Show some effort! Out of the hundred guys that register, a couple will stick around and maybe in 3 years I'll get in an argument with one and quote their join date as the day they were liberated from ze Vault!

I think Schild is loving this.

Maybe I'm demented but I think I would be.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: October 20, 2008, 01:44:55 PM

I think Schild is loving this.

I've been laughing pretty hard this afternoon as they come in here, post long novels thinking to educate us all, and then see them listed as a "guest" with their post deleted. This isn't the vault where you come in here, bypass the first 9 pages of the thread and then rehash the whole conversation in an attempt to enlighten us all.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #359 on: October 20, 2008, 01:46:58 PM

This is how Schild is working out his hate after grinding Tor Anroc for a weekend.  why so serious?

I'll say it again as well, being able to read these forums at work and not be able to post is a kinda private hell I must have done something bad in a previous life to deserve. Considering I get up way before anyone else and saw the dawn of this.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #360 on: October 20, 2008, 01:49:09 PM

Dude, I share your pain. I'm often relegated to reading this forum on my iPod Touch, which is fine for reading but sucky for posting (I mostly type a huge screed and then edit the heck out of it before posting... and then screwing that up anyway). So for most of the weekend I was stuck just reading this flaming ball of flames (and balls) grow. I was getting the shakes...
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #361 on: October 20, 2008, 02:10:09 PM

While we still seem to have some of Mark's attention let me add that adding a /level command like the one found in DAOC would lessen the amount of eye-bleeding involved with trying another class. Granted, DAOC is 50 levels vice WAR's 40, so the /level should give R18 instead of 20 perhaps? That would put you at the Tier 2 rank that no longer needs bolstering. Just a thought.

The problem with doing that is you want T1 players, T1 battlegrounds are fun, plus you don't want new players to login to see a ghost town either.  I fully agree alts are very important, if you look at long time WoW players they have several max level characters.  I think a lot of the PVE grind complaints would disappear for WAR if they vastly increased the exp/rr rewards for open RVR and also doubled exp for alts once you had one character at T4, or even rank 40. 

The way it is at the minute, I'm going to have a max level Witch hunter, but I dread starting an alt, that's a shame because I'd love to play a Warrior Priest or an Iron breaker.
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #362 on: October 20, 2008, 02:22:52 PM

It continues:

http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159953

Apparently this is a terrible no-name forum.

Edit - I didn't read down:
I'm upset because Mark is actually having dialogue with people (mainly the site's admin Schild). It's crazy, look at what kind of dialogue he is having with this guy, and HE'S TAKING IT ALL VERY SERIOUSLY. Our game is being directly influenced by a minority of jerks like this guy Schild that runs that forum.
d4rkj3di
Terracotta Army

Reply #363 on: October 20, 2008, 02:31:09 PM

The problem with doing that is you want T1 players, T1 battlegrounds are fun, plus you don't want new players to login to see a ghost town either.  I fully agree alts are very important, if you look at long time WoW players they have several max level characters.  I think a lot of the PVE grind complaints would disappear for WAR if they vastly increased the exp/rr rewards for open RVR and also doubled exp for alts once you had one character at T4, or even rank 40. 

The way it is at the minute, I'm going to have a max level Witch hunter, but I dread starting an alt, that's a shame because I'd love to play a Warrior Priest or an Iron breaker.
Thinking in DAOC terms did make me forget that T1 would be completely bypassed. Faster XP for chars on accounts with a max rank character already would work as well, although I'm not sure how difficult that kind of coding would be.
schild
Administrator

Reply #364 on: October 20, 2008, 02:32:08 PM

lol

Hey, d4rkj3di, I need that I AM VERY IMPORTANT ON THE INTERNET picture.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #365 on: October 20, 2008, 02:33:42 PM

It continues:

http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159953

Apparently this is a terrible no-name forum.

Edit - I didn't read down:
I'm upset because Mark is actually having dialogue with people (mainly the site's admin Schild). It's crazy, look at what kind of dialogue he is having with this guy, and HE'S TAKING IT ALL VERY SERIOUSLY. Our game is being directly influenced by a minority of jerks like this guy Schild that runs that forum.

Schild isn't a jerk. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #366 on: October 20, 2008, 02:37:26 PM

I feel bad for the new posters, just because I entirely understand the desperate "Oh God he actually read that thread IT MAY BE MY ONLY CHANCE" thinking. I can't say I wouldn't have done the same during my DAoC days. One could argue I DID do the same in this very thread.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

God Save the Horn Players
schild
Administrator

Reply #367 on: October 20, 2008, 02:38:04 PM

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #368 on: October 20, 2008, 02:53:21 PM

That picture fits for so many people I've come to know over recent years. It's a wonderful picture.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #369 on: October 20, 2008, 02:58:11 PM

Sorry guys, I went to lunch.

If you had an iPhone, you could mod your forums while eating.
schild
Administrator

Reply #370 on: October 20, 2008, 03:00:49 PM

I don't bring my phone on lunch. Getting an Android on Wednesday!!!!
Calandryll
Developers

Would you kindly produce a web game.

Reply #371 on: October 20, 2008, 03:04:32 PM

I don't bring my phone on lunch. Getting an Android on Wednesday!!!!
:(
gratte

Email
Reply #372 on: October 20, 2008, 03:17:18 PM

Allrite im the guy with the "retarded" name, as if itchees meant crabs or whatever you thought it meant.

Lets see now if it was my post that made you delete it, or my name. By the way, yes its a wall of text, but no its not "starfucking" or "stalking" and i had valid point to make that by tracking dev postings that are pertinent to the game and arent officially published, this is hardly "stalking" but this comment dissapeared as well. My post is not OMG GUYS THE GAME SUX0RZ LAWL and ive worked 2 years in a game company. It was a big thread so yeah i got things to say.

So here it is again, take 2

wat happen a thousand words dis a pear
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 03:20:05 PM by schild »
schild
Administrator

Reply #373 on: October 20, 2008, 03:19:26 PM

Jesus christ. You sir, are a fucking maroon.
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #374 on: October 20, 2008, 03:23:19 PM

This thread is the best thing since... since... 1925!

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #375 on: October 20, 2008, 03:27:23 PM

Jesus christ. You sir, are a fucking maroon.

Man, the thread my awesome image was in got Denned!

Slog said, "It's like we are being sieged by endless Walls of Text."

The first page worth of hits on google image search has never been so kind.
DiamondGeezer
Terracotta Army

Reply #376 on: October 20, 2008, 03:38:34 PM

Yeah but the truth is when people write wallo texto like that its saying i love the game but please make it better. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #377 on: October 20, 2008, 03:40:31 PM

Yeah but the truth is when people write wallo texto like that its saying i love the game but please make it better
Actually, no, you just said that in 9 words.

The people posting the Walls of Text:
  • Don't get it
  • Are psychotic
  • Are stalkers
  • Definitely don't get it
  • ARE IMPORTANT!!

Edit: Look, I'm fine with psychotic posters. I don't really care about walls of text. But f13 is not the place for them. I've made that abundantly clear to pretty much... oh.... everyone. You'd have to be here a long damn time to get away with that shit.

Edit 2: Nothing feels better than pushing 2 buttons and making 30 minutes of work disappear.
garthilk
Terracotta Army

Reply #378 on: October 20, 2008, 03:52:49 PM

This thread is the best thing since... since... 1925!
It is like the begining of the end of something, or something.

Building and Destorying the Truth in Equal Measure
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #379 on: October 20, 2008, 04:27:41 PM

Edit 2: Nothing feels better than pushing 2 buttons and making 30 minutes of work disappear.

Forum griefer.  awesome, for real

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Zetla
Terracotta Army

Reply #380 on: October 20, 2008, 04:33:56 PM

At the current state, if there was a "no scenario" server i would reroll to it immediatly, however i wish i wasnt forced to do that to just enjoy RvR. Increasing rewards in RvR would probably help a lot, but youll probably still see majority of players in scenarios because its easy and simple. Alot of the noobs in daoc sat in bridges or keeps waiting for people to come to them, because actually RvRing was too difficult and yielded no good rewards because they couldnt hack it or got zerged down. I honestly dont know if theres any fix for that other than to tell them "tough luck, get better and try harder", but then they will just go back to wow since its extremely noob friendly.

Basically all im saying is that theres no way to please everyone, you just need to please a specific audience. Right now it seems like your trying to please the same audience that WoW is pleasing, and when wrath comes out youll be shit out of luck. The only people staying will be the ones hoping for a real RvR game to come eventually.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #381 on: October 20, 2008, 04:40:01 PM

See, you woulda loved playing UO with Rasix and I!
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #382 on: October 20, 2008, 04:41:38 PM

See, you woulda loved playing UO with Rasix and I!

Corp Por?
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #383 on: October 20, 2008, 04:50:55 PM

God, sometimes I wish I had a penis. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #384 on: October 20, 2008, 05:09:45 PM

God, sometimes I wish I had a penis. 

Have you spoken with your other half about this?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 05:12:15 PM by Paelos »

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 29 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: State of The Game - Mark Jacobs  
Jump to: