Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:54:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: DCUO- will be out November 2. Can apply for beta on main site now. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DCUO- will be out November 2. Can apply for beta on main site now.  (Read 304293 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #315 on: July 21, 2010, 08:50:04 AM

If I can get a couple good months of open world pvp on the pvp servers out of it, that's enough for me.  Screw this fucking arena and BG shit.  What is the point of PvP if the other side expects you to be there and attack them? 

You do realize the missions in DC Universe Online are all instanced, right?

Jamiko
Terracotta Army

Reply #316 on: July 21, 2010, 11:20:47 AM

Still waiting for info on whether the PC folks can mingle with the PS3 crowd, though I have a sneaking suspicion the answer will be no. Or did they release that info already?

Jens Andersen wrote this:
Not sure what the confusion is that we need to confirm but here goes...ps3 and pc will play on their own servers at launch. This decision was made final just a week before E3, before then we really weren't sure how it would pan out. There are both design and business reasons why the decision was made. On the design side I can tell you that ..ecommunication is a big consideration. The two communities are used to differernt things and those options don't always play nice with each other in our experience. The biz side isn't simply a question of what makes more money, contrary to what people are assuming. There are lots of complicated issues because this type of service hasn't been very well explored. I honestly believe both types of servers will have sufficient populations. And when other games of this type have run into that problem they simply merge servers to make sure populations are in balance. We've always said we hoped we could do this, technically it is possible, but there are pros and cons in each option. This one made the most sense for us at launch.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #317 on: July 21, 2010, 12:35:17 PM

If I can get a couple good months of open world pvp on the pvp servers out of it, that's enough for me.  Screw this fucking arena and BG shit.  What is the point of PvP if the other side expects you to be there and attack them? 

I honestly thought he was just trolling.  "What is the point of PvP if the other side expects you to be there and attack them?", almost made me post, "I expect better from you, have you been feeling alight?", or, "that's just lazy, I know you can troll better than this!".
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #318 on: July 21, 2010, 01:02:27 PM

I honestly thought he was just trolling.  "What is the point of PvP if the other side expects you to be there and attack them?", almost made me post, "I expect better from you, have you been feeling alight?", or, "that's just lazy, I know you can troll better than this!".

Exactly, what is the point of any other kind of pvp?

I am the .00000001428%
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #319 on: July 21, 2010, 04:02:07 PM

I was serious.  The thrill of the hunt in PvP is what matters.  You disrupt a guy from leveling, repeatedly.  He tries to watch his back, brings friends, maybe the next night he ruins your leveling.  Grudges and blood feuds spread. 

Doing instanced PvP in MMOs is deliberately choosing to pay for something inferior to what you get in free FPSes.  The ONLY advantage of MMO PvP is the anytime, anywhere, aspect of it (assuming the game has open PvP). 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #320 on: July 21, 2010, 04:03:35 PM

All you are saying sounds to me like "i want to fight people who have no chance to fight back".  Thrill of the hunt my ass.

I am the .00000001428%
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: July 21, 2010, 04:27:21 PM

All you are saying sounds to me like "i want to fight people who have no chance to fight back".  Thrill of the hunt my ass.

2001 called, it wants its tired cliches back.  But I guess you are right.  Why do hunters go in the forest when they can just hire a company to restrain a deer in their backyard and shoot it point-blank?  Fucking forest griefers. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #322 on: July 21, 2010, 04:31:09 PM

Deer fight back?

I am the .00000001428%
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #323 on: July 21, 2010, 04:45:58 PM

Stop shitting up the thread.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #324 on: July 21, 2010, 08:19:30 PM

DCUO originally promised that players could interfere with opposing players who were on their way to do missions via PvP - the whole 'hero versus villain' thing. Then they announced PvP servers. God knows what the end result is going to be.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: July 22, 2010, 12:09:55 AM

I agree with Triforcer, if you want organized instanced PVP why not play a game that does it well? A game with better controls, a better combat system and less reliance on stats and gear. The main draw of MMO PvP to me is also the free form nature of it, otherwise you're getting together to play a really bad version of a different game.

Now where Triforcer is wrong is that DCUO is going to be absolutely terrible, most likely worse than any of the generic free MMOs at E3. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being one of the worst MMOs of all time. I will happily quote myself down the road if I'm right, if not Triforcer can mockingly quote me.  awesome, for real

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #326 on: July 24, 2010, 05:16:34 AM

DCUO does one heck of an intro cinematic.

However, this makes 3 superhero MMOs from 3 that appear to kick off with an alien invasion as the primary threat.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: July 24, 2010, 05:36:23 AM

Plastic action figure smashem kapow! ka-bloey! bash - bash - bash...

So dull I didn't make it to the end. It was a bunch of IP based fan fiction that didn't focus on the only hero I care about... the one I'm going to be making (were I to play the game). I fear the game will be full of the same sort of thing with lots of "you get to be batman's peon! how lucky are you!".

Blizzard. and many others, are a whole heap smarter. An opening sets the scene, stirring music and "adventurers" doing cool things in cool locations. You can be one of them and visit these places.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #328 on: July 24, 2010, 05:44:50 AM

I saw Blizzard's Starcraft II cinematic and thought it was a cliched POS, full of manly men with manly voices based on the Gears of War School of Voice Acting.

Personal preference of course - I appreciated seeing Black Adam and Superman go at it.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: July 24, 2010, 07:14:32 AM

I thought it was one of the best trailers ever.  Not that it tells me absolutely anything about the game, but i'd be lying if i said i wasn't more interested in playing after watching it.

I am the .00000001428%
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: July 24, 2010, 08:05:58 AM

I fear the game will be full of the same sort of thing with lots of "you get to be batman's peon! how lucky are you!".

I think this is pretty much whats going to happen.  Its one of the reasons I bought Champions instead of waiting for this actually (as if I couldn't get both is I really wanted  awesome, for real)  Champions has its share of problems, but damned if you can't make a real cool hero.

I think that part where Batman says "Cyborg shoot at Luther while I call in an air strike" is going to sum up the Hero - Player relationship.   

"Do what I say, I'm the god damned bat man"
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: July 24, 2010, 10:33:40 AM

Well, he is.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #332 on: July 24, 2010, 03:40:01 PM

DCUO announces their pre-order bonuses, THEN the open beta registration notice.

Seems a bit backward to me.

Can we change the name of this thread, given that it launches in a few months?

About the thread title: beta applications have opened, it's not open beta yet.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #333 on: July 24, 2010, 04:03:52 PM

I was serious.  The thrill of the hunt in PvP is what matters.  You disrupt a guy from leveling, repeatedly.  He tries to watch his back, brings friends, maybe the next night he ruins your leveling.  Grudges and blood feuds spread. 

Doing instanced PvP in MMOs is deliberately choosing to pay for something inferior to what you get in free FPSes.  The ONLY advantage of MMO PvP is the anytime, anywhere, aspect of it (assuming the game has open PvP). 
You can't be serious, right?  More like "I harass someone who can't fight back, person logs off and decides to play WoW instead."
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #334 on: July 24, 2010, 04:06:55 PM

About the thread title: beta applications have opened, it's not open beta yet.

Fixed so no one is misled and breaks down into a pile of tears.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #335 on: July 24, 2010, 04:19:27 PM

Too late for that, my friend.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #336 on: July 24, 2010, 06:13:39 PM

You can tell it's a very modern MMO. They've announced a complex pre-order bonus scheme before they actually start beta-testing it.

- Simond
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #337 on: July 24, 2010, 08:39:06 PM

Saw something about being able to play Batman. So they're including a copy of Arkham Asylum with every preordered game?

Also, box cover art has Batman and Joker more prominently than Superman (Superman.) and Luthor. I found this amusing.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #338 on: July 24, 2010, 09:33:23 PM

I think - not 100% sure - that some arena matches will allow you take over as key DC characters to fight it out in PvP.

For the 5 or 6 years DCUO has been in development, it really does seem a lot of things are being left to last minute. Especially beta. Again, DCUO Source has been a, well, source of amusement for the "they don't need a long beta - they've had internal friends-and-family testing" posts.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #339 on: July 25, 2010, 01:18:43 AM

I think - not 100% sure - that some arena matches will allow you take over as key DC characters to fight it out in PvP.

Sounds like the pre-order bonus,

Several major retailers will be offering pre-order perks to customers, all of them including the ability to play as one of the DC Universe’s  iconic characters, Batman! Players will be able to play as the Dark Knight in an exclusivetwo-on-two (Player-vs.-Player) combat arena.

- Simond
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: July 25, 2010, 08:08:25 AM

Can someone help me identify some of the characters on that trailer?  Like the giant chick, the electricity shooting chick that kills Wonder Woman, the guy fighting Batman when the Joker kills them both and the guy fighting the Green Lantern (Sinestro? i thought he had a yellow ring? He does yell Shazaam! and Luthor calls him Adam).

I am the .00000001428%
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: July 25, 2010, 08:31:47 AM

Black Adam fought Green Lantern, big chick is Giganta...

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #342 on: July 25, 2010, 08:48:06 AM

Cool fight scene at least. OMG Joker sounds like Mark Hamill and Batman sounds like Kevin Conroy, etc!

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #343 on: July 25, 2010, 09:03:38 AM

Ah, Giganta i should have known.  Never heard of Black Adam, odd he got a starring role on the trailer.  Still don't know who the guy fighting Batman was, i think Luthor called him Destro but that's a different cartoon.  Also the robot fighting Wonder Woman, just a henchbot or is that a specific villain?

I am the .00000001428%
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #344 on: July 25, 2010, 10:53:08 AM

Batman was fighting Deathstroke (also known as the Terminator, at least until there was some sort of legal action I believe) who has the power to predict what his opponents will do in a fight. If you think he looks a lot like Marvel's Deadpool that's because Deadpool was a 90's rip-off/parody of him.

Black Adam is a Capt. Marvel villain, one of the few villains it would make sense to have take on Superman one on one.

I think the Robot might have been Metallo (the man with a Kryptonite heart), that's just based on all the green glowy stuff. Not really sure who the chick that killed Wonder Woman was though.

Apparently you can choose your mentor in the game from a large cast, with the end result being a special armour given to you by your main mentor (so if you picked Blue Beetle you get some rip-off Blue beetle costume, likely leading to a million people wearing Batman's costume). I think this is going to probably be like Guild Wars with an IP.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #345 on: July 25, 2010, 11:07:43 AM

Cool fight scene at least. OMG Joker sounds like Mark Hamill and Batman sounds like Kevin Conroy, etc!

It is Hamill, and Conroy.  Not sure who the chick, or the robot were, though.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #346 on: July 25, 2010, 11:17:51 AM

Apparently you can choose your mentor in the game from a large cast, with the end result being a special armour given to you by your main mentor (so if you picked Blue Beetle you get some rip-off Blue beetle costume, likely leading to a million people wearing Batman's costume). I think this is going to probably be like Guild Wars with an IP.

interesting design.  Hopefully this won't suck donkey balls.

So other than Free Realms, DCUO is SOE's first big MMO after EQ2?   I know the Agency is in perpertual dev, but if this is SOE's next flagship MMO I would hope they've learned from EQ2 and CoX and WoW.   Are people optimistic at all?
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #347 on: July 25, 2010, 11:48:32 AM

Are people optimistic at all?

Myself? Cautiously. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. I'm not head over heels have to buy it on Day One yet.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #348 on: July 25, 2010, 12:24:18 PM

Black Adam is a Capt. Marvel villain, one of the few villains it would make sense to have take on Superman one on one.

I guess so, dude took out Green Lantern, Flash and Cyborg and survived what looked like a nuclear explosion that he himself caused.  Is the character creator going to be anywhere near Champions or APB levels? the idea of getting a set of armor from your mentor makes me think this is going to be more like WoW type armor sets than a premade character look.

I am the .00000001428%
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #349 on: July 25, 2010, 04:03:01 PM

The woman fighting wonder Woman is Circe, from the mythological side of WW's rogue's gallery.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 30 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: DCUO- will be out November 2. Can apply for beta on main site now.  
Jump to: