Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 02:45:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: DCUO- will be out November 2. Can apply for beta on main site now. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DCUO- will be out November 2. Can apply for beta on main site now.  (Read 303945 times)
Ollie
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: June 09, 2010, 01:26:28 PM

Well, aren't you all a bunch of sourpusses. It's a new mum-mum-morpeger with garish costumes, silly names and face-punching. There's absolutely nothing not-awesome about any of it. Where's the enthusiasm? And no, "because SOE is the devil and the game will most likely suck" are not valid excuses.  Yahoo!

Maybe it will sell more units just based on the brand of DC being more known/popular than the brand of Champions, but I can't seeing it have any more retention past a month or two.

I'm not so sure. DCUO would have to take a pretty colossal nosedive to achieve worse retention than Champions. I agree with you on the IP part, though. All licensing ever does is get you a shot at an existing audience. After that, it's up to the game to deliver the goods and convince people to stay.

For my money, if DCUO manages to nail combat and sports a bit more depth in its gameplay than CoH/V or Champions, SOE might have something here. Still, as many have already pointed out, it's the PS3 reception that will make or break this title. It'll be interesting to see what their business model is.

Hug me, I'm Finnish!
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: June 09, 2010, 03:25:19 PM

It's quite pretty at least. 
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: June 09, 2010, 05:51:19 PM

Well, aren't you all a bunch of sourpusses. It's a new mum-mum-morpeger with garish costumes, silly names and face-punching. There's absolutely nothing not-awesome about any of it. Where's the enthusiasm? And no, "because SOE is the devil and the game will most likely suck" are not valid excuses.
I never thought much of this title in the first place, so I'm not really being any more down about it than previously.  It's an IP I don't like and past videos did not inspire me in the least.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #283 on: June 09, 2010, 07:39:17 PM

I mean, played a lot of Champions when it was first released and the last phrase I would use to describe the community there is "hard core gamers"  I suppose its possible that a truly exceptional super hero game could draw a bigger crowd, but I'm not convinced the market for it is all that big.
To be a little more clear, my use of the phrase "hard core gamers" is more from the everyman's vantage point than that which we share. We think of hardcore as an extreme compared to the world we know. To normal folks, even knowing what MMORPG, MMOG, MMO, MMOFPS, etc. means is an indicator that you are hardcore. WoW broke that to a point, but the average person who recognizes Batman, Supes, etc. quite likely has no tactile understanding of what a MMO really is.

Further, there was a time when the mainstream wouldn't have anticipated superhero movies breaking box office records - but they have.

Superhero MMO's have that potential, that WoW does - because the IP can have massive appeal - but the ones we have seen to date didn't have an IP that was custom built for the masses, and aren't non-gamer friendly.

DCUO has the right IP - people will understand the idea of "I'm going to play this game and help Superman." which leaves the implementation as the big question.

Grimwell
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: June 10, 2010, 01:02:35 AM

For my money, if DCUO manages to nail combat and sports a bit more depth in its gameplay than CoH/V or Champions, SOE might have something here.

I would be immensely surprised if it had any depth at all. The video's I saw made it pretty clear they were designing for the twitchy console based gamers (as was champions online at the time). Very small number of powers, lots of mashing your attack powers and trying for a "pick up and play" game style with a strong solo experience.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: June 10, 2010, 02:55:32 AM

The IP of World of Warcraft is totally worthless to someone who isn't a "hardcore gamer." Therefore if you are comparing games to WoW based on IP strength and recognition every game has the potential to be a WoW.

MMOs are all about customer retention and word-of-mouth - which are 99% game quality and 1% IP.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Ollie
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: June 10, 2010, 03:42:19 AM

I would be immensely surprised if it had any depth at all. The video's I saw made it pretty clear they were designing for the twitchy console based gamers (as was champions online at the time). Very small number of powers, lots of mashing your attack powers and trying for a "pick up and play" game style with a strong solo experience.

You're probably right. I rummaged around YouTube, but all the clips that featured hands-on gameplay (with visible UI) were almost a year old. Based solely on that one newer video I've seen, it's hard to say how combat has improved since then. The one thing that did strike me about those older vids was how flat and lacking in tactility the combat seemed. A bit cringe-worthy in a way, since one of DCUO's gimmicks is supposed to be using the environment as a weapon.

Who knows, maybe "DCUO and depth" turns out to be an oxymoron. SOE has kept quiet about non-combat activities, so it might be prudent to approach this title as an arcade action game with a multiplayer component, as opposed to a full-fledged RPG.

My enthusiasm is already waning. I have no follow-through.

Hug me, I'm Finnish!
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #287 on: June 10, 2010, 07:44:59 AM

I'm curious how launching with only two main zones plus a heavy level of PvP is going to hit DCUO. If it is box cost plus item shop or some other non-sub model, it might work out.

Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #288 on: June 10, 2010, 08:17:37 AM

The IP of World of Warcraft is totally worthless to someone who isn't a "hardcore gamer." Therefore if you are comparing games to WoW based on IP strength and recognition every game has the potential to be a WoW.

MMOs are all about customer retention and word-of-mouth - which are 99% game quality and 1% IP.

WoW is, and always has been, the exception. It is the only Western MMO that has broken out of the fold and actually hit the mainstream, and it was all about word of mouth from gamers to gamers. It has gone beyond that and is the first MMO for many a person, but it's not a national brand like Bounty paper towels (the quicker picker upper).

No MMO has done that.

So yeah, we agree, mmo's to date are about customer retention and word of mouth referrals - where we differ is how big they have reached. IMO, they simply haven't yet. They are a very viable corner of gaming, and very profitable, but they are not very mainstream.

DCUO has a shot at that, because of the IP. Stack a good, new to MMO'ers, game on top of the IP and it's entirely possible that it will bust out. Stack a standard MMO on top of it and it's going to be in the typical niche that mainstream really does not know or understand (even if it's profitable in that niche).

Grimwell
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #289 on: June 10, 2010, 09:14:15 AM

Didn't WoW have a very long open beta to suck people in, too? A long (literal) f2p done competently and with some polish before release didn't hurt.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #290 on: June 10, 2010, 11:37:58 AM

Didn't WoW have a very long open beta to suck people in, too? A long (literal) f2p done competently and with some polish before release didn't hurt.
Open beta was short (2 weeks). From Blizzard's perspective it really was just their final stress test (there was a FilePlanet user-specific stress test right before the open one). The closed beta starting in March didn't have an NDA, though, so people interested in the game could learn about it in detail well in advance of release.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #291 on: June 10, 2010, 12:41:32 PM

Lietgardis
Developers

SOE

Reply #292 on: June 11, 2010, 12:33:59 PM

I seem to remember that Blizzard encouraged players to post public reports on their awesome time in closed beta, too.  I see a few at a glance in that old thread.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #293 on: June 15, 2010, 07:41:38 AM

The DCUO E3 trailer

Because a fuller version of the footage is around, it is clear to see how a number of criticisms against DCUO were downplayed / hidden in this trailer by having quicker cuts between the action.

Ollie
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: June 18, 2010, 03:43:09 AM

Six minutes of in-game footage. I have to admit I was positively surprised. Quite a difference compared to a year ago.

Also, according to this article from Massively, DCUO will launch with a standard $14.99 a month subscription fee.

Hug me, I'm Finnish!
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: June 18, 2010, 05:37:07 AM

Six minutes of in-game footage. I have to admit I was positively surprised. Quite a difference compared to a year ago.

Also, according to this article from Massively, DCUO will launch with a standard $14.99 a month subscription fee.

That did look good.  But is the game all punching and kicking?  Where are the actual, um, powers? 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #296 on: June 18, 2010, 11:19:59 PM

Yeah, that looked good.

However, at five months from launch it isn't a good sign that things like the 'secret identity system' can't yet be talked about.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: June 19, 2010, 03:17:27 PM

A few tidbits I've picked up from random articles:

(1)  There will be PvP servers- good.  Only lame battlegrounds would have been stupid.  Even WHO, the ostensible "PvP" game, had carefully constructed tiers and open RvR lakes.  If these PvP servers are truly wide open (maybe they won't be, I suppose I could live with plus/minus 10 level restrictions) it'll already be a superior PvP game.  I want the PvP servers to be fucking Beirut, where you can't take a stroll down the street or do a quest without random gankers. 

(2)  3000 people per server.  Again, good.  None of this fucking stupid "all servers are one server, you enter a random instance with 98 people" shit.  YOu can't build a community or relationships that way.  

(3)  There will be a total (at least at launch) of 80-90 named heroes/villains.  EACH will have an iconic suit of endgame armor if you stick with them as your mentor.  So Batman and Superman and Joker gives stuff out, but you could end up with a Psycho Pirate or Blue Beetle set of equipment if you stuck with them instead.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: June 19, 2010, 03:51:52 PM

Well shit.  That was kinda awesome.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: June 19, 2010, 06:40:57 PM

I'm going to elaborate when I do my big writeup in the E3 thread but this game looked horrendous at E3, one of the worst games there.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #300 on: June 20, 2010, 01:45:00 AM

Not sure if it is in here yet (and even some people at SOE E3's stand appear confused) but it appears pretty certain that there won't be cross-server PS3 and PC play.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: June 20, 2010, 07:28:33 PM

I'm curious how launching with only two main zones plus a heavy level of PvP is going to hit DCUO. If it is box cost plus item shop or some other non-sub model, it might work out.

Saw this and thought of APB.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #302 on: June 20, 2010, 08:05:23 PM

Saw this and thought of APB.

Just to confirm: box cost and sub-fee model with item shop. The original plan was for it to be PvP heavy, but I'm not sure what the difference between a PvP server and a PvE server would be in that case.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #303 on: June 21, 2010, 02:46:45 PM

That six-minute video was the first decent looking thing I've seen out of this game.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #304 on: July 14, 2010, 12:41:38 AM

Beta keys are being given out at ComicCon if you can make it to the DCUO session on 24 July.

3:30-4:30 DC Universe Online: The Next Legend Is You!— Superstars Jim Lee (Batman: Hush) and Mark Hamill (voice of The Joker, Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: The Animated Series) join forces with the DC Universe Online development team to reveal the exciting backstory of this action MMO (Massively Multiplayer Online) game. Jim, Mark, and key members of the development team from Sony Online Entertainment discuss how an earth-shattering chain of events will make you the key to the salvation or ruin of the DC Universe when the game launches this November. All attendees will receive a DCUO VIP Beta Key! Room 5AB

Spare DCUO beta keys always welcome. (Not sure my PC can play it, but I can worry about that when I get the key!).

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: July 14, 2010, 02:08:55 AM

Wish I could see it right now but YouTube appears to be taking the Mickey atm. I will say from the above comments that it's preventing me from resubbing to CoX which was a fav for many years. When I see a glimmer of hope in the posts of f13...it makes my heart beat faster and I feel the world is possibly once again safe for democracy. My faith in MMOGs is beginning to renew...

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: July 14, 2010, 10:58:41 AM

This game isn't out yet? Between Cataclysm, SWTOR, and FFXIV, this thing is falling farther and farther into irrelevance.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #307 on: July 14, 2010, 06:13:09 PM

DCUO Source fans are currently into the "They only need a month for a public stress test before launch because SOE have been doing friends and family testing for a while now" phase of launch anticipation.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #308 on: July 20, 2010, 01:15:48 AM

DCUO announces their pre-order bonuses, THEN the open beta registration notice.

Seems a bit backward to me.

Can we change the name of this thread, given that it launches in a few months?

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: July 20, 2010, 06:34:15 AM

I thought this game was going to be free with micro-transactions which seemed to well suit the shallow and simplistic / PvP focused gameplay. Subscription fee plus MT means it had better be a whole lot more impressive than anything I've heard so far.

But it's SOE, so I'm going to assume it's terrible.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: July 20, 2010, 04:23:00 PM

I'm preordering- I just pray it isn't as shallow as Champions Online.  Or that the "huge" world is empty because the real content is instanced out the ass.  Just fucking once more in my life I'd like to play an MMO that isn't addicted to instancing.  It's lazy and immersion-breaking and renders the "real" world of the game meaningless and useless. 

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: July 20, 2010, 04:27:39 PM

I'm preordering- I just pray it isn't as shallow as Champions Online.  Or that the "huge" world is empty because the real content is instanced out the ass.  Just fucking once more in my life I'd like to play an MMO that isn't addicted to instancing.  It's lazy and immersion-breaking and renders the "real" world of the game meaningless and useless. 

And THIS is the gaming your hanging that hope on?
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: July 20, 2010, 04:31:06 PM

If I can get a couple good months of open world pvp on the pvp servers out of it, that's enough for me.  Screw this fucking arena and BG shit.  What is the point of PvP if the other side expects you to be there and attack them? 

Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: July 21, 2010, 05:29:48 AM

This game does not give me an MMOrection at all. I honestly cant see 1 thing that makes me want to play this. 
Ollie
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: July 21, 2010, 08:48:04 AM

Men in skin-tight leotards? No?

I'll give this one a whirl, even if it turns out to be a tepid vacuous shell of an action arcade game fishing for a monthly fee. Still waiting for info on whether the PC folks can mingle with the PS3 crowd, though I have a sneaking suspicion the answer will be no. Or did they release that info already?

Hug me, I'm Finnish!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: DCUO- will be out November 2. Can apply for beta on main site now.  
Jump to: