Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:10:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 673169 times)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1365 on: January 16, 2017, 03:22:30 PM

I use my HOTAS for power management and navigating menus.

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1366 on: January 16, 2017, 03:40:27 PM

Jesus fuck, but Painite is a lovely money maker, isn't it ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
WayAbvPar

Reply #1367 on: January 16, 2017, 06:29:57 PM

I am a couple of million short of building a big Asp ship for exploring proper. Right now I have a Type 6 with all the exploration gear on it, but I am mostly doing trade runs and scanning the occasional system. Once I figured out to look at the system map (and ignore all the shit planets and moons) before I started scanning things, it got a lot less ball bashing. Still bothers my completionist side to leave shit unscanned, but FUCK having to fly within 5 ls to scan some garbage icy body.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1368 on: January 17, 2017, 03:59:11 AM

Why are you doing it, though ?

If you're doing it for cash, there are better ways to make cash.

If you're doing it for Explorer Rank, take some passengers ;  it gives rank and money while you do it.

If you're just doing it for funsies, get trading and get that Type-6 to fuck.  A lovely, Lovely, Lovely Asp with modified engines is the baws for Exploring Funsies.

(Also, yes, fuck Icy Bodies.  And Asteroid fields.)

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1369 on: January 18, 2017, 01:40:40 PM

So went mining in my type 7 today. Eh... its not great at it. It can run 2 small mining lasers with very slow time down, or 3 lasers if you don't mind stopping and starting a lot. Only made 1 1/2 mill for a few hours work, and I realised after the fact that I was just mining in a Metal rich belt, and I had forgotten what the profitable ores are.

Anyway, found a great guide for mining afterwards, well worth a read.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/4wmgja/general_mining_guide_20/

One thing not mentioned is there is a key somewhere to toggle fire, so what I used to do is set up a key to toggle the laser fire constantly on, then sat back and managed my refinery.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 01:50:21 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1370 on: January 18, 2017, 01:50:58 PM

One thing not mentioned is there is a key somewhere to toggle fire, so what I used to do is set up a key to toggle the laser fire constantly on, then sat back and managed my refinery.

Hey, there's the money shot.

- Viin
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1371 on: January 18, 2017, 03:41:13 PM

I had a fun time mining the 300 tons of ore necessary for unlocking Selene as an Engineer. Do it right and it turns into an amazing show of limpet automation.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1372 on: January 18, 2017, 07:01:15 PM

I'm starting to get the hang of things, I'm in a summat mkiii now with 4 little plinky guns, upgraded everything and have a couple mil in the bank. I just have to figure out where the Empire is to cash in some bounties with them.

I think I'm going to have to start reading things outside the game to figure out more of how to play. Or read this thread from the beginning, but both seem less fun than just going to the res point and killing red guys.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1373 on: January 19, 2017, 02:23:30 PM

Now perfectly happy with my ASP and it's where I want it.  It has a really, really high rebuy cost now because most stuff is the A-Class, but I'm ok with that.  It doesn't really die.  The only potential thing I could upgrade is the Fuel Scoop from a C to an A, but it's hugely expensive and the thing already refuels in under a minute, so fuck it.

Currently thinking about upgrading my Type-6 Miner to a Type-7 miner, which could fit many more collectors and be able to carry a shield, as well as tons more cargo, so that's a thought.

Otherwise, it's maybe thinking about doing something with this fuck-beast of Cargo that is the Python.  It costs a metric Fuckton to upgrade and, frankly, it's at optimal for trading now, which is what it's meant to be doing, so I dunno.

There's also the thought of just blowing some money (of which I seem to have an abundance) on a wee Cobra of my own.  The passenger runs in the ASP are really raking in money still.  2.5 million to take five guys around 3 systems, all within 100 ly of each other.  That was just an insane payout for a couple of fucking jumps....

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1374 on: January 19, 2017, 02:58:40 PM

If you are ok with the 2 small lasers of the Type 6, then you can have 5 collectors running on it on the type 7. But you can rig 2 medium miners on the Python and run them constantly, so its a far better miner than the type 7.

Hic sunt dracones.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1375 on: January 19, 2017, 04:29:34 PM

I'm getting completely obliterated in the tutorials. My ship seems to turn incredibly slow, making it very difficult for me to keep my enemy in front of me. I'm using the controls sam posted a few pages back; do I just suck or is there some simple "autofollow my target" button I'm missing?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1376 on: January 19, 2017, 04:47:23 PM

Get out of the tutorials. They are shit.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1377 on: January 19, 2017, 04:48:38 PM

Now perfectly happy with my ASP and it's where I want it.  It has a really, really high rebuy cost now because most stuff is the A-Class, but I'm ok with that.  It doesn't really die.  The only potential thing I could upgrade is the Fuel Scoop from a C to an A, but it's hugely expensive and the thing already refuels in under a minute, so fuck it.

Currently thinking about upgrading my Type-6 Miner to a Type-7 miner, which could fit many more collectors and be able to carry a shield, as well as tons more cargo, so that's a thought.

Otherwise, it's maybe thinking about doing something with this fuck-beast of Cargo that is the Python.  It costs a metric Fuckton to upgrade and, frankly, it's at optimal for trading now, which is what it's meant to be doing, so I dunno.

There's also the thought of just blowing some money (of which I seem to have an abundance) on a wee Cobra of my own.  The passenger runs in the ASP are really raking in money still.  2.5 million to take five guys around 3 systems, all within 100 ly of each other.  That was just an insane payout for a couple of fucking jumps....

You need to start engineering now. Your Asp will serve you forever. You must unlock Elvira Martuuk. You must, must, must get those G5 enhanced FSD jumps.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1378 on: January 20, 2017, 01:52:14 AM

I have her already at level 4 as I started that early, back when I was doing rare trades.  The last level is proving an arsehole to grind up to, but I have wake scanners ahoy and keep scanning the fuckers.  I'll manage it somehow !

I also have a couple of the other engineers at various levels.  I found Mr Gunny to be quite easy to grind up, though I tend not to use the gunnies that he upgrades.

For anyone else reading this, Sam posted an engineers guide a fair few pages back - go grab it, read it and love it.  It helps enormously.

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1379 on: January 20, 2017, 07:44:35 AM

Yay. Ok. Aren't you gonna loooove getting Palin.
WayAbvPar

Reply #1380 on: January 20, 2017, 11:58:43 AM

Any advice for cramming useful shit into a Vulture? It is really tight on power, at least with my setup. Had to skimp on a few items to get under 12.00MW.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1381 on: January 20, 2017, 12:14:00 PM

Any advice for cramming useful shit into a Vulture? It is really tight on power, at least with my setup. Had to skimp on a few items to get under 12.00MW.

Why limit it to 12MW? You can cram a 4A on to it for 15.6MW (without eng mod).
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1382 on: January 20, 2017, 01:09:25 PM

Stick a B shield and a shield booster on your vulture. You will get more shield strength for less power and cost

Hic sunt dracones.
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #1383 on: January 20, 2017, 02:40:59 PM

That's what I did - 5B bi-weave as well as two 1A shield boosters.

Also, fuck Imp clippers at conflict zones popping 8 shield cell banks in a row and making for 30+ minute fights.

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1384 on: January 20, 2017, 09:24:05 PM

I'm getting completely obliterated in the tutorials. My ship seems to turn incredibly slow, making it very difficult for me to keep my enemy in front of me. I'm using the controls sam posted a few pages back; do I just suck or is there some simple "autofollow my target" button I'm missing?

By design the tutorial ships turn like shit. What you want to do is roll left or right (according to where you want to turn) and then pull up or down. I know it sounds stupid but that's how it is. Your ship doesn't reallly turn. Instead you roll (left or right) and then pull up. To explain it in another way, your ship can't turn for shit but can lift or dive its nose very fast (Again, a design decision that they explained about three years ago, they wanted the fast ships to feel like WW1 and WW2 dogfighters more than weightless spaceships) so... roll and then go up or down. It should make sense after a while.

And no, no autofollow. But rolling and then pulling up/down will become second nature soon.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1385 on: January 21, 2017, 07:38:04 AM

So I really shouldn't bother with the tutorials?

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1386 on: January 21, 2017, 08:00:39 AM

Well, play them, but if you cant manage the "advanced combat" one don't worry. Combat generally is not as hectic as that in the game. If you can beat the combat tutorial then you are fine.

Hic sunt dracones.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1387 on: January 21, 2017, 11:25:48 AM

Yeah always remember that yaw is significantly constrained in this game so that the flight model doesn't turn into supremely boring turreting.

Best orientation practice is, as mentioned, in roll and pitch. Roll until your target is directly above or below your reticule, then pitch up or down until you reach it. Same advice applies when you are trying to put something on your radar in front of you. Target it, roll until it is on your radar's vertical axis, then pitch till you see it.

^ that paragraph there? if it doesn't make sense at first, read it a couple more times then give it a shot in the game. once it clicks, your brain gains three instant skill points in piloting
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1388 on: January 21, 2017, 11:28:02 AM

for the next couple of hours i will be doing data runs in medium security settlements. if you don't know what that is you probably want to watch me do it.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1389 on: January 21, 2017, 12:04:14 PM

And how do we do that?

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1390 on: January 21, 2017, 12:09:42 PM

^ that paragraph there? if it doesn't make sense at first, read it a couple more times then give it a shot in the game. once it clicks, your brain gains three instant skill points in piloting

I had an advantage in this becasue I used to play Independence War so spinning and pulling to turn was always natural to me.

And how do we do that?

With really strong Binoculars. Like, REALLY strong.

Hic sunt dracones.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1391 on: January 21, 2017, 12:26:15 PM

And how do we do that?

I'm Samprimary on steam, friend up and watch on broadcast
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1392 on: January 21, 2017, 02:28:25 PM

No, you aren't.   awesome, for real

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1393 on: January 21, 2017, 03:00:34 PM

what is your battlesteamnet idcode
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1394 on: January 21, 2017, 05:11:00 PM

You guys should get on Discord - we can make an E:D channel

- Viin
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1395 on: January 21, 2017, 05:48:40 PM

yeahhhh lets do that

turns out i had to reset everything to get broadcasting to work anyway
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1396 on: January 21, 2017, 06:14:14 PM

I would like an invite to the E:D channel when it becomes a thing.

Starting to get the hang of it. I'm just flying around like a mailman in a spayce chip, and it's great. Upgraded my FSD so I can jump a bit further, too. What's a good ship to upgrade out of the starter ship? I plan to do mining, trading, etc. with as little combat as possible, for now.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1397 on: January 21, 2017, 06:18:05 PM

The Adder or the Hauler are good early cargo haulers. I' a big Fan of the Diamondback Explorer then. Then you can hop into a Type 6. The Cobra is your "Jack of all trades" early ship to concider as well.

A discord could be fun

Hic sunt dracones.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1398 on: January 21, 2017, 06:19:01 PM

Heh, I'm doing the opposite, all combat to raise cash so I can try mining, mailman, trading etc later. In a souped up trashcan/vulture now!
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1399 on: January 21, 2017, 07:26:31 PM

Our Discord server: http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=25370.0
Channel forthcoming.

- Viin
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 70 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: