Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 02, 2024, 06:50:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: War 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 233 Go Down Print
Author Topic: War  (Read 1994455 times)
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6055 on: September 18, 2009, 03:00:51 PM

Remedial was the second best CEO we ever had (the best being Firstname Lastname with his brief but inspired "Declare war on Goonfleet Target Practice" tenure).  Remedial may have been an awful person with horrible opinions who alienated everyone who worked for him but he was great at whipping up Joe Everygoon into a rifer spamming frenzy and built Goonfleet from nothing.

I'd have Remedial back in a second.
trevorreznik
Terracotta Army

Reply #6056 on: September 18, 2009, 03:09:45 PM

I wondered if you'd be up to speed on that when I posted it. Zapa retired over a month ago (I think) and fun-but-is-he-a-one-trick-pony Kartoon took over. Zapa was our worst CEO since rem left, and I include mittens in that (since mittens saved us from returning rem's horrors before the wilderness of mirrors paranoia took over). Zapa attempted to change gf dot com culture by prescription.

oh woops, I did know this.  I'd conflated the two in my mind for some reason, and was thinking zastrow was somehow involved too.  What did zapa try to change on gf.com?
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6057 on: September 18, 2009, 03:23:42 PM

He declared peace in our time then closed the war room(a centralised place for posting ops and hurf blurf) and made 3 different forums for different play styles.  Didn't work out and got grudging reversed in short order.
setar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6058 on: September 18, 2009, 04:04:09 PM

And I was wondering why GS was absent in some of the latest skirmishes. While R64 are no longer relevant it seemed odd that you'd not take the opportunity for hotdrops. Minor Threat seems to be imploding in the meantime. Going to be interesting what alliances on both sides are going to survive until Dominion hit.

EVE - Yalson [BDCI] [-A-]
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #6059 on: September 18, 2009, 06:09:10 PM

And I was wondering why GS was absent in some of the latest skirmishes. While R64 are no longer relevant it seemed odd that you'd not take the opportunity for hotdrops. Minor Threat seems to be imploding in the meantime. Going to be interesting what alliances on both sides are going to survive until Dominion hit.

We're not failing conduct wars because we're trolling each other.  We're trolling each other because we're not conducting wars.  The natural state of goons is conflict: we just have an outlet for it normally.

Remedial was the second best CEO we ever had (the best being Firstname Lastname with his brief but inspired "Declare war on Goonfleet Target Practice" tenure).  Remedial may have been an awful person with horrible opinions who alienated everyone who worked for him but he was great at whipping up Joe Everygoon into a rifer spamming frenzy and built Goonfleet from nothing.

I'd have Remedial back in a second.

I kinda agree, but only because it would be funny.  He would lose us everything, but it would be a laugh.  He was pretty awful by the time I joined, anyway.

Plus, he was number three.  FNLN was second.  Best was Nate Hammertown.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #6060 on: September 18, 2009, 06:11:56 PM

You just like Remedial because you've seen his dick.

Also, I had a twenty minute conversation with your character in-game a month ago before realizing it wasn't you.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #6061 on: September 18, 2009, 06:26:01 PM

Remedial gave eve its greatest war, its most contentious and divisive corporation, and the great fault line that still defines politics in the game.  Even this thread would not have existed had rem not been a great motivator of people

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
setar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6062 on: September 19, 2009, 12:39:46 AM

Finfleet reinforcer a PL highend moon using a domi-only fleet, in return CoW lose a titan to RA who accepted a hostile gang invite (killmail). Is nobody taking this game seriously anymore, dammit :) ?

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #6063 on: September 19, 2009, 02:22:56 AM

The cow titan loss was actually a non-stop cavalcade of retardation. He is supposed to bridge a fleet but pulls a Molle and jumps through instead. Then he manages to get to a safe abd cloak. You'd think, at this point, that he'd be a bit cautious about accepting invites from strangers, but apparently not.

My one query about this version of events is how he went from being in fleet (for bridging) to being able to accept an invite. I imagine he ctrl-Qed on jumping, then pulled the login/ctrl-Q/login trick again to get to a safe where he cloaked up.

As has been asked on gf dot com, the question is whether he remembered to broadcast for reps...

Twitter - Endieposts

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #6064 on: September 19, 2009, 10:12:04 AM

BoB decided to become juggalos.  why so serious?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #6065 on: September 19, 2009, 11:32:00 AM

Junkie Beverage > sitting in nol
Junkie Beverage > watching bob getting killed one last time

Junkie Beverage's poetic take on Kenzoku's loss in the Alliance Tournament.
trevorreznik
Terracotta Army

Reply #6066 on: September 19, 2009, 01:09:37 PM

Finfleet reinforcer a PL highend moon using a domi-only fleet, in return CoW lose a titan to RA who accepted a hostile gang invite (killmail). Is nobody taking this game seriously anymore, dammit :) ?

Why bother using a domi only fleet?  Aren't geddons strictly superior for pos shooting?  I suppose domis could outdps on a minmatar tower if you selected drones properly but still.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #6067 on: September 19, 2009, 01:32:13 PM

Hence the "isn't anyone taking this game seriously?" whine.  Everyone knows that other than backstabbing wars of repositioning, the action is off until Dominion starts sorting out, and is doing fucked-up silly stuff (like Domi-only POS shooting) to keep themselves amused.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #6068 on: September 19, 2009, 06:02:34 PM

IT alliance, or large bits of it, at least, have a semi-mandatory rr sentry drone domi doctrine. It's not wholly for laughs.

Twitter - Endieposts

Skullface
Terracotta Army

Reply #6069 on: September 20, 2009, 12:06:24 AM

Per CAOD - Minor Threat failcascade. Members of Minor Threat are saying it's an inside job.

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1182185
Trigona
Terracotta Army

Reply #6070 on: September 20, 2009, 04:11:31 AM

Minor Threat is experiencing a classic failure cascade.  Today I had the misfortune to have to fly to KZFV to buy some liquid ozone for a cyno at JLO.  40 pilots in local and 5 reds operating a gate camp in system!!!!
Getting out of this hell hole required a covert ops scout and a modicum of luck.  I know people go afk, but seriously would any half decent alliance allow a gate camp in a sov 4 constellation go unchecked?

I escaped from the jaws of death but I had still had to hide a few systems away while another red fleet of about 8 ships journeyed to KZFV - no doubt inspired by the prospect of easy kills and a lack of opposition.
Skullface
Terracotta Army

Reply #6071 on: September 20, 2009, 10:38:54 AM

Minor Threat is experiencing a classic failure cascade.  Today I had the misfortune to have to fly to KZFV to buy some liquid ozone for a cyno at JLO.  40 pilots in local and 5 reds operating a gate camp in system!!!!
Getting out of this hell hole required a covert ops scout and a modicum of luck.  I know people go afk, but seriously would any half decent alliance allow a gate camp in a sov 4 constellation go unchecked?

I escaped from the jaws of death but I had still had to hide a few systems away while another red fleet of about 8 ships journeyed to KZFV - no doubt inspired by the prospect of easy kills and a lack of opposition.

The surprising thing was that as that post went up on the forums, the first MT post said "Yeah, and we're all camped inside a station right now." Pretty shocking. Has anyone said exactly why it's happened yet? Or is it still up in the air?
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #6072 on: September 20, 2009, 11:23:04 AM

From the posting of corp mail and what not, it would seem it sounds like there's a lack of good leadership and FCs to lead people, which inevitably just lead to them failing so hard they couldn't hold together.
setar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6073 on: September 20, 2009, 12:50:05 PM

Their last R64 switched to -A- last night. From the battle reports it sounded like tons of fun with Razor and GS using a lot of creativity to prolong the siege as much as possible. That's 8 R64s changing hands in the last few weeks, though I think that was the last of the 'easy' ones. That, and most entities will probably only defend them at this stage if there's a chance for an interesting evening. Not quite worth wasting a cap fleet over with two months to go.

setar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6074 on: September 20, 2009, 07:11:54 PM

Only found this now. Next time someone mocks ET for wondering about a GS invasion of Catch I'm going to point him at the full-blown paranoia in this thread.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #6075 on: September 20, 2009, 07:52:39 PM

Your version of Parinoia is posting an actual post by mitch taylor where he talks about invading an established o.o alliance. With an alliance filled to the kills with ex BOB corps.

And point a thread where everyone laughs at the prospect.

To quote the princess bride. Parinoia "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means"

Originally Posted by Mitch Taylor AKA Gay Mitch
So some of you may have noticed the new channel you all have

NUMBER ONE RULE - NEVER SEND AN ALLIANCE MAIL - EVER
NUMBER TWO RULE - BE CIVIL IN ALLIANCE CHAT - ALWAYS

IT Alliance is what we spoke about at the sekrit meeting, this is now our home for the future. We have no plans to leave it, ever. So I guess you can start calling yourselves 'it' with a smile on your face.

The other corporations will be joining up over the coming weeks. Our first alliance operation is on Friday at 1800. Details are available on the forums.

So what does all this mean and where does that leave stain?

Firstly we need to talk about bases.

We live in t-8 (stain) hopefully you are all aware of that! if not please stop reading and apply to eve-uni!
The alliance will base from Rebelier (vergevendor) which you may have noticed is on the other side of the map!

So were moving right? NO! Please do not panic! Everyone remain completely calm!!!

Stain will remain as an operations base forever, the standings will remain the same and I would still like us to view the fighting of Bricksquad as a valid and present objective. Therefore your 'stuff' in stain is in the right place.

What will happen naturally over time, is your numbers of ships in Stain will dwindle, and the numbers of ships you have in Rebelier will begin to grow. Once this begins to happen we should have a clearer view of which 'conquerable space' as an alliance we will be attempting to invade.

So how do I get between these two places? Well we have banged on about this long enough I guess. JUMPCLONES! JUMPCLONES! JUMPCLONES! If you dont have one, you need to get one! If you dont know how, you need to speak to an officer! Why? well for at least the next 3 months, we WILL NOT HAVE A PROPER HOME! This is FACT and just being realistic. WE need to understand that as a corp. Once we swallow that, we can start to understand the creative approach that is required to survive in that situation.

Jump clones will be in operations bases, with a small amount of kit. Im looking to secure a Mission running base in southern stain for 0.0 income. So this would take our little 'outposts' if you like to 3. A short summary for those who dont like loads of reading shows how i envisage this working.

T-8 system - Stain PVP base (target bricks use your current stocks here and let it dwindle)
TBC system - Stain Income base (lots of blues around make isk and have your mission ships here)
Masalle system - Alliance regroup base (have a few key ships here, proximity to empire makes replacments very easy)

As we approach November the 1st, t-8 will become less and less of a current objective. I realise that some of you were very keen to kick the bricks out! which I believe we were making good progress on, however longterm my sights and therefore yours should be on a bigger piece of the pie!

Having said that I am keen to present you with 'options' and therefore having jump clones in stain and a supply of ships, just enables you to do 'something else' when nothing big is happening. RKK share this sentiment and will be doing exactly the same thing!

EvE-Online Forums - The fallout from this will prob happen over the next few days. BOB mk1 was equally hated and loved so I would brace yourselves for what will be a rocky PR ride over the next few weeks. I hope you are all confident enough in yourselves to ignore these posts and rise above it

Goals for the alliance - Securing future income, building warchests, planning full scale invasion of an established 0.0 alliance. Pretty simple, but i thought id point out to you all that we do not plan to dick around for months then disband. This is a longterm thing, which will prob see us working with these people for years, to the point that they become our people as much as our corp mates are.

What do you need to do as a member? Well I wouldnt order loads of ships for t-8... for example If you just have dont threat you have over a month to get most of them exploded. If you have what you feel is 'tons' of stuff in stain, then slowly get some of it out to empire. But I would not advise a full scale withdrawal, its actually not needed. I would begin to get some isk together, so if your currently on 4 days pvp, 1 day income, up that to 2 days income. You are going to need to be able to buy yourself decent ships to fly in the alliance ops and since the first one is friday! I would stop reading this and get cracking!

If you can skill for a Sentry drone r/r domi as per the forums... DO IT!

If you cant then please look into longrange cruisers (ruptures etc) and HACS!

finally for those who love to tackle things.... in alliance 0.0 fleets DICTORS are the staple diet.. not frigs... so add it to your training plans.

Love you all <3

and trust me, its going to be fabulous!

Hic sunt dracones.
setar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6076 on: September 20, 2009, 08:35:24 PM

Did your cut and paste buffer run out?

Originally Posted by The Mittani  View Post
i wonder if they think PL will be a 'weak link' and try to take fountain, rather than delve

Originally Posted by Viper ShizzIe  View Post
It'd be funny for them to try to take Fountain, but everything I've seen points to Delve.

Invading an established 0.0 alliance. That must be Delve. Clearly. Just after GS makes a frontal assault on FAT. Again.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 08:37:09 PM by setar »

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #6077 on: September 20, 2009, 09:27:22 PM

It's not unreasonable to think that all the ex-BoB guys in their leadership want their old home back.
setar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6078 on: September 20, 2009, 09:51:22 PM

Not unreasonable at all. But then, neither was a GS attack on Catch ;-) That said, it would be pretty darn stupid to test a newly formed alliance that is, at best, at GBC-level in a frontal assault vs GS/PL. Almost guaranteed this would also bring in at least Razor. If I had to guess I'd say MH, but could be really anyone.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #6079 on: September 20, 2009, 09:54:50 PM

Well who are the major spaceholding alliances that live within range of Masalle?  From what I can tell, that puts them somewhat equidistant between PL in Fountain and Mostly Harmless in Cloud Ring.  Or maybe they're just going to fuck around in Syndicate for a while, until everyone stops paying attention.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #6080 on: September 21, 2009, 02:16:23 AM

I'm highly sceptical of the likelihood of the Juggalos attacking Delve straight off.  I believe that they have one shot to get this relaunch right under the current leadership: people are hanging around - and newer ones have joined the constituent parts - because it's still possible to convince people that some of the old Bob "magic" is still there.  Their recruitment efforts and internal consistency rely partly on people thinking "if i get on board with Molle & co I'll get to succeed and occupy good space."  Of course, that's the mindset that lost them everything from 2006 onwards, but that's another discussion.

If IT alliance launch into an invasion of 0.0 straight off and fail then they could be stillborn, and that'll be three failed alliances in a year.  They'd be smart to pick a weak alliance for whom nobody feels particular sympathy in space in which nobody has particular interest.  Preferably not too close to Delve, Fountain or Venal.

It's daft to go for an end-run.  That's why RKK has joined the huge pile-on over Brick Squad: there's no hint of "elite PvPers" in that strategy, but they badly need to get used to success instead of being accustomed to failure.

The only way it might make sense for them to attack Delve straight off would be if they did so in union with AAA, Stain, Atlas and assorted pets.  But I doubt if there is huge trust on either side after Delve II right now - not enough to bet the farm on it - while the strategic positions of AAA (holding space that is vastly spread out, many entrance points) and Atlas (logistically unbelievably horrible) combined with the (yes I'm going to say it) Russian paranoia about invasion of Thug mean that they will probably have plenty of consolidation to do for themselves after patch day.

Twitter - Endieposts

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #6081 on: September 23, 2009, 02:40:33 AM

We kited a AAA, lowsec, high-end moon a couple of days ago, and it came out late last night.  These days, with about 60% of AAA based outside of Russian timezones, that's no barrier to getting a fight.

AAA were spotted forming up in HED, and people got excited on the forums.  AAA's cyno procedure was awful (subcap cynoship warping on-grid uncloaked) so inevitably it got popped when only half of them were in.  They still had a very decent fleet in, but we killed 33 capitals against 9 losses.  Those 9 losses include two cruisers and a covops, though  awesome, for real

Following, as it does, GS's victory in T2 ships over ROL in T3 pimpmobiles in the tournament, I imagine that there are some denizens of the south looking for payback right now.  Although each side had a handful of killmail-whoring tourists around (a smattering of ZAF/KIA and even a couple of lost Razor pilots on our side, and some Sys-K on theirs), this was basically a straight-up Goons vs AAA engagement, and thanks to the disparity in FCing ability, it was never really in doubt.

Edit: oh, the other reason why it's better being in an alliance that doesn't build its self-image on being elite PvPers (the first reason being the horror whenever you lose to the people who admit to being no such thing) is summed up in our post-fight thread in a couple of ways:

1) This video, posted by one of our newbees: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6bLfFYids0  He just flies around in his cruiser that he's happy to be able to fly now (it's an Omen of all things), shooting non-primary dreadnoughts and leaving his drones to toodle about hitting whatever seems like a good idea to them, while his sidebar is expanded and his overview apparently showing just damn near everything.  I think if the fight moved to a belt he'd have to keep unlocking the scordite he clicked by accident.

2) All the newbees trying to scram sieged dreads:
Klandor > there is some type of interferince
Nexris > why can't I active my scramb
Nexris > keeps saying something about intererance
StarCrash > anyone else havin a problem with disputors

(here is a video by a somewhat more experienced pilot, although I still hate his screen setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_8pQl_uHVo)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 03:13:12 AM by Endie »

Twitter - Endieposts

Skullface
Terracotta Army

Reply #6082 on: September 23, 2009, 11:01:11 AM

I was just in HED the other night. A bunch of us from the EVE Radio chat decided to hop in T1 frigates (8 rifters and a Tristan) and gang around. Made it all the way from Genesis before running in to the Gate Camp there.   ACK!

I think, though, those are the first two non-blob EVE pvp videos I've ever seen.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #6083 on: September 25, 2009, 04:21:05 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pusXTQkeIM - 12:07

Quote from: Seleene
And my name is Mark Heard.  I'm a Game Designer as well [at] CCP and I've been here for about three years now.

I'm a Game Designer as well [at] CCP and I've been here for about three years now.

I've been here for about three years now.

three years now.

So the head of the Mercenary Coalition throughout the period where they stomped on the north and fought us with Bob was a CCP employee for virtually the whole war?  Is that well known and I just missed it?  Devalues the achievements of the alliance considerably if they had an inside informational edge the whole time.  That's worse than T20's position.

Sir T is going to sperg.

Twitter - Endieposts

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #6084 on: September 25, 2009, 04:35:52 PM

I knew he was a ccp employee but I thought he was only hired fairly recently.

That would put added weight to his "If you change capital ships I'm disbanding the Mercenary Coalition" public tantrum too.

Also would put the incident, where his CEOs railed at him to quit sucking up to CCP and focus on his alliance, in some perspective.

[/Zensperg]
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 04:38:17 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #6085 on: September 25, 2009, 04:44:47 PM

Everyone knew that.  It's the three year bit.

Twitter - Endieposts

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #6086 on: September 25, 2009, 04:57:34 PM

Everyone knew that.  It's the three year bit.

Indeed. That would be September 2006. About the time of the start of the BOB-ASCN war. Where seleene pretended to be neutral.

Also it begs the question of how CCP didn't know t20 was in BOB as Seleene would have been working closely with T20 in and out of game

And then there was the great speech of Selenne at the start of Tortuga where he said that He thought that assisting one Alliance on a cruisade to takle over the universe was a fantastic idea. Which means that another CCP Dev was actively working to ensure BOB took over 0.0, by his own admission.

Hic sunt dracones.
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #6087 on: September 25, 2009, 05:02:06 PM

Wasn't he a soldier stationed in Germany right up to when he changed jobs and became CCP? I'm fairly sure that was the intel back when he was leading MC.

Also, pretty much every CCP employee plays Eve and is in an alliance. That's a good thing.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 05:03:50 PM by lac »
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #6088 on: September 25, 2009, 05:08:15 PM

Wasn't he a soldier stationed in Germany right up to when he changed jobs and became CCP? I'm fairly sure that was the intel back when he was leading MC.

Also, pretty much every CCP employee plays Eve and is in an alliance. That's a good thing.

I'm not going to get all outraged and TO THE THREADNOUGHT about this.  after all, we won.  I just think it's a hilarious source of trollery that we won despite the enemies having a dev at the head of their second-strongest alliance, and helping make many of their plans.

I want devs to play Eve.  I think that is essential.  But they should not be alliance leaders.  Fortunately I think that is now widely expected.

Twitter - Endieposts

Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #6089 on: September 25, 2009, 05:18:51 PM

I really would not care if they were Alliance leaders if that Alliance was not trying to rewrite whatever book it is they are working on.
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 233 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: War  
Jump to: