Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 05:29:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: A Wanted Ad I Found 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Wanted Ad I Found  (Read 3401 times)
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

on: August 23, 2005, 08:13:50 PM

Japanese Gay Romance Manga Writers

Posted by Yaoi Press , Aug 22,2005,11:57                    Main Screen
Yaoi Press publishes graphic novels. These are thick, soft-cover, digest-sized comic books. Our books are drawn in the Japanese "manga" style. Our stories all fall into a niche Japanese genre called 'yaoi' that is popular with women in the United States. Yaoi is romantic stories about guys in love with other guys for women readers.

We need graphic novel script writers. We've sought talent from comic book writers, but we aren't getting good quality submissions. All we seem to get are submissions from folks who expect us to teach them Writing 101. I'm hoping some polished fiction writers will consider making the leap into something different. Good writing is good writing, whether it's prose for a novel, or a sequential art script. Submissions from polished, professional writers who've studied the craft of good writing would be a welcome change from what's been cluttering our mail box lately.

Please research the genre of yaoi online before you submit. It's not the same as gay fiction. We have seven books listed on the site right now. This will give you a good idea of the type of material we publish. Please review the submission guidelines on the web site and download our 'writer's guidelines' document. A sample script is available on request.

Payment for scripting 20 pages of sequential art is $200-$250 depending on your published credits. A full-length graphic novel is 100-120 pages. We also publish shorter bonus stories of 20-60 pages.

No, I'm not applying for it.  But hey, PM me if you want to!

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 08:17:18 PM

"UNF UNF UNF UNF UH"

Do I win!?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 09:19:53 PM

$250 for 20 pages of art?

Worst job ever.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 10:03:12 PM

$250 for 20 pages of art?

Worst job ever.

I dunno; lots of people looking to get into the business, any way they can.  I'd do it, if I thought I was qualified.  As it is, I don't think my psyche could take the fact that I'm not even good enough to do schlocky cheesecake melodrama.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 10:08:14 PM

Well, if you can draw, then you can get paid more than that being an underworked freelance illustrator. What's better? More money, or getting your foot in the "gay manga" business?

edit: My spelling sucks tonight.

edit: So does my reading. My bad. This is an ad for writers, not artists.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 10:30:19 PM by Stray »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 10:13:46 PM

They are looking for American writers?  They don't have any real yaoi publishing deals, do they?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Llava
Contributor

Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 10:15:36 PM

Yeah it's $250 for SCRIPTING 20 pages, not for making the art.

Not bad, but it's hard to write something like that if you're not Signe.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 10:21:09 PM

Is it one of those things where you get the art and have to fill in the bubbles with dialog?  Like early Max Gaines?  Hell, I can do that.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 10:32:09 PM

Is it one of those things where you get the art and have to fill in the bubbles with dialog?  Like early Max Gaines?  Hell, I can do that.

I don't know, it said "script" so it's my guess that you come up with it all and they use their artists to illustrate it.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005, 10:33:07 PM

Is it one of those things where you get the art and have to fill in the bubbles with dialog?

Not really....If it's like comic books at least. Most of the writing is charted out beforehand, in an almost screenplay like format.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005, 10:34:49 PM

What I really want to know is what kind of work they were receiving that wasn't good enough.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #11 on: August 23, 2005, 10:38:27 PM

What I really want to know is what kind of work they were receiving that wasn't good enough.

Noooo... you don't.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #12 on: August 23, 2005, 10:43:09 PM

You can't tell me you don't have some morbid curiosity.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 24, 2005, 05:43:38 AM

So I was in Borders on Sunday and I picked up "Head First Design Patterns" and was reading it over in the computer section in the big comfee chairs they have there.  Right across from computers is manga, two 15 or 16ish girls came in and sat on the floor and started reading something from off the shelves.  They kept looking over at me and giggling, at the time I was flattered.  Now that I know what Yaoi is and that it's popular with teen girls I'm not so sure anymore.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #14 on: August 24, 2005, 08:49:10 AM

On the one hand, the thought of getting paid to write is tempting. But there are really two things preventing me from even considering it seriously:

1) I'd have to use a pen name in order to be able to write this stuff, because I'd never in a million years want my name associated with GAY MANGA. I mean, manga by itself seems to have a lot of teh ghey in it, but to actually target teen girls with softcore gay pr0n... I shudder.
2) I'd have to actually read gay manga in order to research how to write "good" (and I use the term loosely) gay manga. Now traditional hentai? I'm sorry to say I could probably shit that stuff out on a regular basis, tentacle rape and all. But Cloud falling in love with Harry Potter? Not happening.

But it'd still be better than writing for the Escapist.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #15 on: August 24, 2005, 09:08:05 AM

Nice one.

"Me am play gods"
Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #16 on: August 24, 2005, 10:13:48 AM

I read alt.sex.stories back in the 80s.  My curiosity went from morbid to rotting.

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #17 on: August 24, 2005, 10:51:11 AM

I read alt.sex.stories back in the 80s.  My curiosity went from morbid to rotting.

Bruce?
ClydeJr
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 24, 2005, 11:08:44 AM

"UNF UNF UNF UNF UH"
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #19 on: August 24, 2005, 11:12:38 AM

So what you're saying is that "The Escapist" is looking for skilled gay pr0n writers to pad their publication?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Llava
Contributor

Reply #20 on: August 24, 2005, 12:18:46 PM

Nice one.

Thank you.  I originally wrote "if you're not WEIRD" but that wasn't quite specific enough.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #21 on: August 24, 2005, 12:54:56 PM

So what you're saying is that "The Escapist" is looking for skilled gay pr0n writers to pad their publication?

It would gain more respect from me if it did.

Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #22 on: August 24, 2005, 01:26:56 PM

Bruce?

Sir Bruce would have been popular on some of the pre-web alt.sex newsgroups.  Alas, he is clearly a man born out of his time.

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
WayAbvPar

Reply #23 on: August 24, 2005, 01:28:11 PM

Bruce?

Sir Bruce would have been popular on some of the pre-web alt.sex newsgroups.  Alas, he is clearly a man born out of his fucking mind.

FYP.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #24 on: August 24, 2005, 03:04:59 PM

Sir Bruce would have been popular on some of the pre-web alt.sex newsgroups.  Alas, he is clearly a man born out of his time.

Hopefully, if that time ever comes, I'll be one of the first ones shot in the streets and incinerated before the fatass in the vole costume comes along and rapes my corpse's cold, tight ass. And if that time has already come and gone (no pun intended), I will thank whatever Gods there are that I did not live to see such times. I'd be Anne Frank in non-furry land.

WayAbvPar

Reply #25 on: August 24, 2005, 03:33:31 PM

Hopefully, if that time ever comes, I'll be one of the first ones shot in the streets and incinerated before the fatass in the vole costume comes along and rapes my corpse's cold, tight ass. And if that time has already come and gone (no pun intended), I will thank whatever Gods there are that I did not live to see such times. I'd be Anne Frank in non-furry land.

The vole bit makes this art.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: August 24, 2005, 04:33:12 PM

I suppose prospective writers could just watch Six Feet Under and just go from there.  Its mildly pretentious and its got the gay folk in it after all.

Then again, does the world really need more Yaoi?
It needs less, and it needs to take tentacle rape with it.

Gotta love Japan.  I swear the concept of consensual male/female adult sex is totally beyond their thought patterns, and that of entirely too many of their fans...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: A Wanted Ad I Found  
Jump to: