Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:56:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2135643 times)
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #9275 on: August 18, 2011, 08:06:20 AM

Psst.

Malakili, you don't like mmo.

I don't, you are right.  But sometimes I convince myself I still do.  I played the shit out of MMOs through WoW, and then WoW itself for a long time and then...I burnt out of WoW HARD and haven't recaptured the magic since, I think part of me wants to just have that MMO player feeling again, but maybe I've just changed too much as a gamer at this point.  

EDIT: Actually, what I don't like it targeted, hotkey based combat.  I think I used to be willing to put up with mechanics I didn't like for the sake of the MMOness, I'm just not anymore.

Oh well.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 08:27:03 AM by Malakili »
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #9276 on: August 18, 2011, 08:13:31 AM

As for Rift.  Different audience, smaller userbase.  As discussed in countless UO threads over the decade, it only takes a small % to make life miserable.  The bigger your userbase the greater the # of that type of player there are, regardless of how big that % is or isn't.
Different audience, older userbase.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9277 on: August 18, 2011, 09:14:52 AM

Are we really going to split hairs on gameplay mechanics in a modern mmo? What would be new and innovative? be careful because you could enter the world of press q to breath in and e to breath out.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #9278 on: August 18, 2011, 09:18:11 AM

As for Rift.  Different audience, smaller userbase.  As discussed in countless UO threads over the decade, it only takes a small % to make life miserable.  The bigger your userbase the greater the # of that type of player there are, regardless of how big that % is or isn't.
Different audience, older userbase.

That's ridiculous, the people playing rift are the same ones that played wow and the same ones that are gonna be playing swtor.  And the user base is not all that small.

I am the .00000001428%
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #9279 on: August 18, 2011, 09:36:39 AM

When I heard no auto attack, I thought it would be jamming your 1 key over and over to fill time, just like CoX. I was right.

See, I find not having an auto attack far more engaging.  I like actively doing things.  It's one of the reasons CoX combat is one of my favorites.

Over and out.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #9280 on: August 18, 2011, 10:47:38 AM

There's some serious rose tinting for CoX combat going on here.   It was quite a step up compared to the shit of the day but it's very slow paced compared to WoW right now.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9281 on: August 18, 2011, 11:10:54 AM

No, there isn't. The combat in CoX is great, fun for its own sake.

WoW is a pile of shit played by suckers, but to address more directly what you were saying, fast pace does not necessarily equate to 'fun'.

My single biggest issue with mmo combat is the lack of a full one-ahead queue in anything other than EQ2. The half-assed Rift implementation drove me crazy because it lacked the half of the ass that would save you from button-mashing like an amphetamine-fueled moron. Given the WoW-aping going on, I expect to be forced to button-mash in TOR and it's the one thing that could quickly end my enjoyment.
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9282 on: August 18, 2011, 11:15:31 AM

Didnt one of the kotors have an ability queue? Might still be hope.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #9283 on: August 18, 2011, 11:33:00 AM

Didnt one of the kotors have an ability queue? Might still be hope.
Well, I wouldn't expect a three-ahead KotOR style. But being able to hit an attack and instantly queue the next...then when the animation for that fires off, key in the next attack at any time and it fires off as soon as it becomes available...why the hell not? It's infuriating, especially Rift, because they put it in there...but didn't do it correctly so it may as well not be in.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #9284 on: August 18, 2011, 11:38:49 AM

WoW is a pile of shit played by suckers, but to address more directly what you were saying, fast pace does not necessarily equate to 'fun'.

No but slow pace is not fun.  CoX is very slow pace on most classes.  I'd rather have something like DCUO combat myself but we'll be waiting a while before we see that in a successful MMO.   WoW has to have it's player base split up before the stuff you guys want will show up.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #9285 on: August 18, 2011, 11:49:04 AM

I never found CoX's pace too slow until you ran out of stamina, then it was just sort of painful, but they've addressed that FINALLY (you COULD solve the problem by taking the stamina regen power, whatever way you had to, but that was stupid bullshit and I am pleased a THOUSAND YEARS LATER they finally realized this and fixed it). I didn't have to mash my brawl key after level 10 or so. :P

As for the queue thing, the problem I have with it is it makes combat feel weird and unresponsive to me. It's one of those things, though, where I am just not really going to care that much if it's there or not, especially if it's something you can toggle. In CoX I would queue a power and watch the animations fire off, but it could be sort of odd, plus you knew you'd be rooted to that spot for a while as a result. EQ2's combat was utterly forgettable for me (my most recent attempt to play it was a year ago I think, and it was 100% blah). Everyone knows LotRO's combat issues throughout its history (they have a queue too). And every MMO I've played save CoX and GW eventually has the Too Much Shit to Give a Fuck About problem, it seems.

EDIT: Also, I've PvP'd a lot in WoW recently, and I just ... don't get emote spammed hardly ever. And I'm playing a blood elf boy paladin usually, which is a lightning rod of hate.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 11:52:13 AM by Sjofn »

God Save the Horn Players
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #9286 on: August 18, 2011, 12:03:42 PM

This is another title that should have been action based.

When I heard there wasn't going to be auto attack I had hope it might bend a little more towards this sort of combat.  Not action oriented per se, but at least a bit quicker paced and interesting.  It doesn't seem to have panned out that way.  The more real gameplay videos start to trickle out, the more painfully obvious it becomes.

I had myself convinced for a while that the story would be enough for me too, just because I like Star Wars, if the game mechanics didn't pan out, but frankly, I just look at that game and I can't see myself paying money for it.
So you wanted a Star Wars MMO with more twitch?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #9287 on: August 18, 2011, 12:19:49 PM

Maybe they could make the combat more fast paced if you had to juggle three lifebars.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #9288 on: August 18, 2011, 12:20:10 PM

So you wanted a Star Wars MMO with more twitch?
I'd fucking be there!
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #9289 on: August 18, 2011, 12:24:56 PM

I can't believe someone actually said it.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #9290 on: August 18, 2011, 12:42:53 PM

Think of it as a tribute to the greatest thread in F13 history.

"Me am play gods"
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #9291 on: August 18, 2011, 01:11:43 PM

See, I find not having an auto attack far more engaging.  I like actively doing things.  It's one of the reasons CoX combat is one of my favorites.

Oh, I'm not passing judgement here. I'm just saying, this game's mechanics are absolutely nothing new and the lack of auto-attack isn't something new, either. Been done. Not sure what anyone expected.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #9292 on: August 18, 2011, 01:21:17 PM

We can still dredge up infinite oil tanks from the ground though, right?  That's twitchy enough for me!
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #9293 on: August 18, 2011, 02:01:15 PM

The only impact the lack of auto-attack will have on your gameplay is if your internet connection goes out. With autoattack, there was a chance you could kill the monster while offline. Without it, you're dead.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #9294 on: August 18, 2011, 02:01:47 PM

We can still dredge up infinite oil tanks from the ground though, right?  That's twitchy enough for me!

They need to add summoning forklifts to that ability.

God Save the Horn Players
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #9295 on: August 18, 2011, 02:04:31 PM

I'd rather have something like DCUO combat myself but we'll be waiting a while before we see that in a successful MMO.  

Facepalm
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #9296 on: August 18, 2011, 02:16:06 PM

Are we really going to split hairs on gameplay mechanics in a modern mmo? What would be new and innovative? be careful because you could enter the world of press q to breath in and e to breath out.

Take a look at the 38 page long GW2 thread.  That stuff sounds newer and more innovative.  The best compliment I've heard about SWTOR in this 266 page thread is "I wasn't expectng anything but a wow clone that will give me new content to go through.  SWTOR is fine L2expectation."
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #9297 on: August 18, 2011, 02:30:58 PM

You still never answered my question about why SWTOR needs to innovate.  Ohhhhh, I see.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #9298 on: August 18, 2011, 03:42:49 PM

It doesn't "need" to do anything except addict players. Besides, SWTOR has innovated with its tight story integration during leveling. Obviously we'll have to wait and see what the endgame entails. Once the guild beta really opens up, NDA breaks will come fast and furious. I strongly suspect that they will abandon the story-based structure for the endgame and it'll be standard WoW-style battlegrounds and raids, but we'll see.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #9299 on: August 18, 2011, 04:05:48 PM

Got around to watching the footage. If they can keep that story integration through the whole leveling process, it's going to be pretty awesome.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #9300 on: August 18, 2011, 04:48:58 PM

I thought the footage was ok, myself. In fact my principle thought was 'oh wow, an MMO that lets you feel heroic and take on more than one mob at a time without a total pummeling? Yes please!'
Haven't seen that since City of Heroes. Obviously I can't commment much on the actual combat mechanics yet since there were a sum total of 2 attacks used in the whole video, but I'd hope for a nice selection that I can create a fun chain from, just like I did in CoX. I think I might be sticking to melee classes in SWtOR.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #9301 on: August 18, 2011, 05:04:48 PM

A wiseman once said "It is not the button you press, or how often your pressing it, but what it actually does."
To be honest I don't mind slow pace combat or fast based combat, I want to have a "think before you do" combat which can be achieved, in any game regardless of what pace if the developers know what they are doing...which they don't hence why we always have a big derp fight over "clicking 8 buttons 2000 times or clicking 1 button 100000 times than clicking 2 buttons 50 times". Its like dogs arguing over the order in which they get to sniff each others ass.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #9302 on: August 18, 2011, 05:58:42 PM

I'd rather have something like DCUO combat myself but we'll be waiting a while before we see that in a successful MMO.  

Facepalm

Ok it'll be a while before we see it in an MMO I'd personally call successful.  Is that better?
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #9303 on: August 18, 2011, 06:07:33 PM

We know you're not likely to get less crazy, so let's just settle for that.

-Rasix
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #9304 on: August 18, 2011, 06:10:28 PM

Yea you guys getting your hopes up for twitch combat are the sane ones.   why so serious?
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #9305 on: August 18, 2011, 06:21:04 PM

be careful because you could enter the world of press q to breath in and e to breath out.

Would players be banned for macroing that?

Facepalm

DCUO's combat mechanics were pretty solid. That SOE couldn't simultanesously build a working chat system or build a MMO that lasted more than a weekend was the bigger problem.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #9306 on: August 18, 2011, 06:35:06 PM

Yea you guys getting your hopes up for twitch combat are the sane ones.   why so serious?

Hah, I actually read your previous statement as "Ok it'll be a while before we see an MMO I'd personally call successful".  So, my bad.  In all fairness to myself, I still think you're fairly bonkers, but not so much on this point.

-Rasix
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #9307 on: August 18, 2011, 06:43:21 PM

In all fairness to myself, I still think you're fairly bonkers, but not so much on this point.

In my defense this industry is fairly bonkers.  If anything I conclude about it ends up sane I usually revisit my logic process and try to add more crazy.
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #9308 on: August 18, 2011, 06:49:34 PM

In my defense this industry is fairly bonkers.  If anything I conclude about it ends up sane I usually revisit my logic process and try to add more crazy.

Speaking as someone who has seen this shit from the inside, this is a really, really good attitude to have.  And not just in the negative sense.  People seem to either say developers are brilliant or actively stupid, but both of those possibilities are rendered impossible by the sheer chaos and randomness that actually drives this shit.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #9309 on: August 18, 2011, 07:18:43 PM

Vids looked fine to me. WoW in space without the stupid shit WoW has now.

Ship ahoy!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: