Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:58:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2135758 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3710 on: June 04, 2010, 04:21:09 PM

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #3711 on: June 05, 2010, 05:18:07 AM

Actually the half the fun in an mmo is looking back and going "did I just survive that" and talking shit about it.

I sort of like that statement because my personal situation has been similar but there is a slight twist to what usually made it fun for me.  Actually half the fun in a MMO is looking back and thinking "did I just survive that and kill everyone in my group in the process" and then talking shit about it.

There is something to be said for it. Many of my favorite early mmo memories involved things like this. If mmos are going to be mostly instanced then we need places like BRD in WoW.  You know where there is a bar with several interesting mechanics that most people are unaware of.  Like if someone steals plugger's key and opens the door eventually he notices the key is missing and will send everything aggro.  It's amazing how few people knew about that back when you had to take an entire raid through BRD to zone into Molten Core.  Pretty sure most people int he guild had more fun on Vent when I gave them that surprise as opposed to actually raiding. I'd say beyond just interesting mechanics actual exploits made most of the well known WoW memories for early players.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3712 on: June 07, 2010, 06:51:45 AM

Yeah, we need more exploits and griefing. True.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #3713 on: June 07, 2010, 08:47:40 AM

Griefing in SWOR will be not continuing the conversation tree and forcing your team mates to wait. A successful TK will see everyone else quit.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #3714 on: June 07, 2010, 09:00:49 AM

Griefing in SWOR will be not continuing the conversation tree and forcing your team mates to wait. A successful TK will see everyone else quit.

I doubt Bioware will be so stupid to let this happen, they'd have to at least give it a timer then let the decision move to another person ors something.  Then again, I could be wrong.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #3715 on: June 07, 2010, 09:14:41 AM

I doubt Bioware will be so stupid to let this happen, they'd have to at least give it a timer then let the decision move to another person ors something.  Then again, I could be wrong.

Even if the timer is 30 seconds it's going to piss me off waiting for slow fuckers to advance the dialogue. Also imagine 5 choices all with a 30sec timer and someone wanting to use every single second of that time to piss you off.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #3716 on: June 07, 2010, 09:26:30 AM

Hold on, you guys are actually intending to play some portion of this game in a PUG that would allow for other people to actively participate in your game experience?

Silly people. This is KOTOR3 with public hubs to waive your epeen at each other in. And probably lots of Barrens chat.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3717 on: June 07, 2010, 09:29:37 AM

Don't forget the sweet Twi'lek cyb0r.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #3718 on: June 07, 2010, 10:51:31 AM

Don't forget the sweet Twi'lek cyb0r.

yub nub Heart

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #3719 on: June 07, 2010, 03:20:05 PM

I have no reason to post this here except that it's Star Wars related, and more people will see this than anything on the SWG forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zd_khk6zXo

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #3720 on: June 07, 2010, 03:58:04 PM

Posted in Funny Pictures already.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3721 on: June 07, 2010, 04:20:15 PM

Snoop is the best part of that.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #3722 on: June 11, 2010, 11:04:55 PM

SWOR fits KOTOR into its timeline. Voiced by Lance Henrikson.

Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #3723 on: June 14, 2010, 08:05:03 AM

Pretty big retcon there.  Revan and Malak started looking for the Star Forge before entering the Mandalorian Wars according to the memories in KOTOR - particularly, the memory of Revan and Malak entering the map room on Dantooine, when they were still in good standing with the Jedi Order and Malak is concerned about whether or not to do this.

Personally speaking, I'm a little disappointed that they went ahead and fixed a gender for Revan, and an ending for KOTOR1, especially since it was so far in the past it could have easily been ignored entirely, sticking to the 'and then Revan up and vanished for no apparent reason' explanation that KOTOR2 used, whether light or dark side.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #3724 on: June 14, 2010, 08:45:50 AM

Personally speaking, I'm a little disappointed that they went ahead and fixed a gender for Revan, and an ending for KOTOR1, especially since it was so far in the past it could have easily been ignored entirely, sticking to the 'and then Revan up and vanished for no apparent reason' explanation that KOTOR2 used, whether light or dark side.
I can't follow the link (damn filters), but...
<geek on>
Male Revan, Light Side ending was the official LucasArts/Canon ending since the game came out. Female Exile, Light Side ending was the canon ending for KOTOR 2, for that matter.

That's not something new. Now, yeah, the bit about timeline changes.....

I always viewed KOTOR2 as an attempt to fix the glaring plotholes in KOTOR, and my absolute favorite line was a Jedi Master sarcastically asking you how you felt slaughtering your way across 4 planets gave you a better connection to the Force.
<geek off>
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #3725 on: June 14, 2010, 10:03:06 AM

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #3726 on: June 14, 2010, 10:18:58 AM

That got awesome when the Jedi showed up.  I'm still like I was when I was 10 years old for lightsaber/force duels.  Too bad the game won't be all that much like that video.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #3727 on: June 14, 2010, 10:35:01 AM

For those that want to ignore my rule of cool ignorance ranting:

I don't know why I can look at Force Unleashed II and go "Woot." and yet look at SWTOR and go "Again with one Jedi being worth 1000 soldiers?"

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3728 on: June 14, 2010, 10:59:23 AM

Forced Unleashed trailer was better.

I didn't know a Jedi could catch a lightsaber with their bare hands.  Also, never saw a Street Fighter style hyduken before.  Awesome.

Lorekeep:  You got a little to nitpicky. But yeah, it was an ok trailer. 
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #3729 on: June 14, 2010, 11:01:08 AM

I guess the whole blocking a lightsaber with your hand thing would explain why you don't go down in one strike from a lightsaber in an MMO.

Actually, the idea of a block skill using your hand instead of a shield seems a little interesting.

Shit, am I rationalizing? RAGE RAGE RAGE.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #3730 on: June 14, 2010, 11:04:26 AM

SHE BLOCKS A LIGHTSABER WITH HER HAND. Fuck's sake. NOW he comes to the rescue. And planetwide simultaneous flare, gg.
EU Canon, actually. Force Absorbtion FTW. Used rather nicely by Corran Horn's father -- the Horn family is absolutely pants at telekinesis. They can't move shit with the force. Now, projecting images, mind tricks, and absorbing energy? They're really good with. And they can pull TK tricks with what they absorbed.

Corran Horn's father deliberately took a Sith saber to the guts, sucked every bit of energy out of it, and used it to crush the guy that had just stabbed him.

Now, light-staves in particular are just ridiculous weapons. Anyone with a brain would spend their time trying to make you cut off your own legs with the other end of your weapon. Staff versus sword there's a good edge to the guy with the staff -- but not when his own staff will cut his fucking leg off if it brushes it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 11:47:26 AM by Morat20 »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3731 on: June 14, 2010, 11:06:19 AM

I always hated those staff sabers.  Man EU canon.  It's been ages since I read any of the books.  What stories is that info from?
Zane0
Terracotta Army

Reply #3732 on: June 14, 2010, 11:15:25 AM

I don't know why I can look at Force Unleashed II and go "Woot." and yet look at SWTOR and go "Again with one Jedi being worth 1000 soldiers?"
Because it's an aggressively mediocre trailer, I suppose.

"While the sacrifices are heavy, we fight knowing that the single spark of courage can ignite the fires blah blah blah" it's the same old tired Bioware hokum. This could be the trailer for Dragon Age 2 if you pared it down to its thematic content.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #3733 on: June 14, 2010, 11:20:11 AM

I guess the whole blocking a lightsaber with your hand thing would explain why you don't go down in one strike from a lightsaber in an MMO.

Actually, the idea of a block skill using your hand instead of a shield seems a little interesting.

Shit, am I rationalizing? RAGE RAGE RAGE.

Well, let's put it this way. How much harder is it to block a saber with your hand than it is to block blaster bolts with your hand? Yes, I'm thinking the Vader on Bespin scene in ESB.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3734 on: June 14, 2010, 11:37:36 AM

A LOT harder.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #3735 on: June 14, 2010, 11:49:35 AM

Well, let's put it this way. How much harder is it to block a saber with your hand than it is to block blaster bolts with your hand? Yes, I'm thinking the Vader on Bespin scene in ESB.
I'm going to echo "a lot harder". Especially with a bare hand.

Well, I suppose in one sense it's easier. A saber moves a lot slower and is bigger, so sticking your hand out and catching the blade is probably really easy. The whole "not having it stab through your hand and into your chest and dying" part would be harder, one would think. Sort of like the difference between a 9mm bullet through the stomach and, say, a broadsword. Which is on fire.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #3736 on: June 14, 2010, 11:51:41 AM

To be fair, the Star Wars canon is malleable. Every time a new trailer comes out showing something like a random, non-descript Jedi using her hand to block a lightsaber, something that strikes me as Deus Ex Forceina to keep her alive (I guess it could be a very, very focused Force Push, but come on), you have to reevaluate the canon because the canon doesn't give a shit. So instead of it being a lot harder, it's just par the course for your average Jedi. "Deal," says the canon. "We think it's cool even if it feels absolutely terrible and wrong."

Hell, I bet it's a CC in-game. Blocking a lightsaber with your hand stuns the opponent so your non-Jedi can body-check him.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #3737 on: June 14, 2010, 11:52:24 AM

I'm going to echo "a lot harder". Especially with a bare hand.

Well, I suppose in one sense it's easier. A saber moves a lot slower and is bigger, so sticking your hand out and catching the blade is probably really easy. The whole "not having it stab through your hand and into your chest and dying" part would be harder, one would think. Sort of like the difference between a 9mm bullet through the stomach and, say, a broadsword. Which is on fire.

My point is I wouldn't be surprised if a blaster bolt and a saber are relatively close power level wise. Vader blocked what? 3 or 4 bolts with his hand? It's the same principle and the same force power really.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #3738 on: June 14, 2010, 11:53:57 AM

To be fair, the Star Wars canon is malleable. Every time a new trailer comes out showing something like a random, non-descript Jedi using her hand to block a lightsaber, something that strikes me as Deus Ex Forceina to keep her alive (I guess it could be a very, very focused Force Push, but come on),

<nerd>

It's a power called absorb energy. Vader used it to block Han's blaster bolts. Luke allegedly used it to absorb some of the Emporer's Force Lightning on the Death Star 2 so he didn't die.

</nerd>

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3739 on: June 14, 2010, 11:57:27 AM

SHE BLOCKS A LIGHTSABER WITH HER HAND. Fuck's sake. NOW he comes to the rescue. And planetwide simultaneous flare, gg.
EU Canon, actually. Force Absorbtion FTW. Used rather nicely by Corran Horn's father -- the Horn family is absolutely pants at telekinesis. They can't move shit with the force. Now, projecting images, mind tricks, and absorbing energy? They're really good with. And they can pull TK tricks with what they absorbed.

Corran Horn's father deliberately took a Sith saber to the guts, sucked every bit of energy out of it, and used it to crush the guy that had just stabbed him.

Now, light-staves in particular are just ridiculous weapons. Anyone with a brain would spend their time trying to make you cut off your own legs with the other end of your weapon. Staff versus sword there's a good edge to the guy with the staff -- but not when his own staff will cut his fucking leg off if it brushes it.

All well and fine, but you're kinda glossing over the part where the persons in question actually get hurt and/or killed during such acts.  Nobody ever blocked a saber in any EU canon.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3740 on: June 14, 2010, 12:11:24 PM

Probably had one of those ysalami lizards down her knickers.

The EU is a cohesive, beautifully constructed, and logically consistent universe you see.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #3741 on: June 14, 2010, 12:18:18 PM

Either they can absorb the Force or they can absorb energy. They shouldn't be able to do both. Otherwise why don't Jedi just carry around batteries every time they need that sweet, sweet juice?

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3742 on: June 14, 2010, 12:19:57 PM

I love this thread. It's like letting Yoda sit on Vader's lap.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3743 on: June 14, 2010, 12:32:14 PM

First, these are supposed to be some of the rarest powers.  Second, it is actually two different powers we're talking about...Absorb and Alter.  Alter is the rarer one, and the one that the Horns had.  It doesn't keep them from sustaining injury, it simply allows them to transfer the power/pain into raw force power (which in their case, allowed them to use TK that they couldn't otherwise touch).  What you see in the video would be some crazy powerful Absorb that we haven't seen before.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3744 on: June 14, 2010, 12:46:43 PM

Maybe she just force pushed the dude's arm.

You know what y'all remind me of?  Tanks versus 'mechs.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: