Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:02:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2135758 times)
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2485 on: November 12, 2009, 05:04:27 PM

The last three or four posts present a huge problem for SWTOR.

Not to be a broken record, but either choices matter or they don't.  If you are truly stuck with your choices at endgame, its like WoW without respec.  

Picked the dark-aligned light Jedi choices?  Sorry noob, their endgame skills happen to suck for PvP/Raid DPS etc.  And also that means you never got the quest giving the best anti-Agent pvp protection in the game.  

Chased away a companion with wrong dialogue options?  Sorry noob, he was the best for fighting bounty hunters and now you suck in 1v1 Bounty Hunter PvP.

OR- you can respec everything and get any equipment or companions in the endgame with one trip to an NPC.  At which point, you might as well faceroll the choices between you and max level.

What they'll start with is very inflexible respeccing, and when that gives way to nerdrage they put in an end-game change-alignment grind.  After that pisses people off for 6 or 8 months or so and after retention drops, they'll move to full respeccing and finally kill off "story that matters."  

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #2486 on: November 12, 2009, 05:11:19 PM

Yea, this is a really very valid point. At what price "immersion". It's sort of uncanny valley as applied to audio. I'd rather have a game with no VO and more choices. But publishers don't think that way.

Or you can go the Mass Effect route and obfuscate the actual lines from the user.  You're still limited to a handful of options but you're sort of experiencing the dialogue as-it-happens instead of in a more academic "Which of these options would I like to say?" which causes less of the "uncanny valley"-effect you're describing.

Fallout 3 for example was virtually unplayable to me as I kept coming across dialogue decisions where I hated each and every option.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2487 on: November 12, 2009, 08:37:50 PM

I kept coming across dialogue decisions where I hated each and every option.

I hate when that happens.  I think Fallout 3 did at least a decently good job of being able to just go "Goodbye" most of the time, though not all the time.  Mostly the options seemed to be "I'm a good guy," "I'm indifferent," "I'm a jerk."  This is why I never talk to anyone in that game if I can help it.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #2488 on: November 13, 2009, 12:12:10 AM

Yeah, I always found that goddamn annoying, too.  Here I am a force-choking lighting-wielding fuckstick and the Jedi Council is trating me like some noob Force user, and not a Sith Lord with a mindwipe who's slipping into old tendencies with glee.  There should have been a *chops council to bits* option many places.

I guarantee that if KOTOR had that kind of freedom I would make a million-page playthrough/fanfic thread where Revan falls out of his bunk on the newbie tutorial ship, hits his head, realizes who he is five seconds into the game, and spends the rest of his time going on a galactic murder spree. I would shoot Carth in the face as soon as he opened his mouth. I would save immediately prior and just do it over and over again for an hour.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2489 on: November 13, 2009, 03:43:01 AM

Devious evil is always better than psychopathic evil.

Like if you pushed Carth into an airlock and feigned an accident, so that you could still score some sweaty alien headtentacle love.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2490 on: November 13, 2009, 07:59:15 AM

Generally, I agree with devious being more appealing, however knowing what I do about Carth... he needs to die a thousand vicious deaths.  WUA has a fitting end for him.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2491 on: November 13, 2009, 08:03:40 AM

I don't remember anything about any of the party members in KOTOR- none of them were as memorable as BG2 characters.  Certainly none of them inspired anger in me. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2492 on: November 13, 2009, 08:18:40 AM

Srsly, your meds. Take them.

HK47? Carth? The little blue chick and the wookie? Really?

I was afraid Alistair in DA:O was going to be the modern Carth, pleasantly surprised he's funny to have around.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2493 on: November 13, 2009, 08:30:53 AM

I liked Alistair's dialogue in the beginning then I sat him for the whole game because I was making a Templar for my main character.

He'll be my tank my next go around.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2494 on: November 13, 2009, 08:51:53 AM

I don't remember anything about any of the party members in KOTOR- none of them were as memorable as BG2 characters.  Certainly none of them inspired anger in me. 

I know Sky already said it, but you don't remember HK47?  Bastila?  Canderous Fucking Ordo?  Come on, dude. 

I will agree with you that none of them inspired any rage in my, not even Carth.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2495 on: November 13, 2009, 09:32:30 AM

I played it over five years ago.  Now that you say those names, I recall the droid and the girl with the wookiee vaguely but the rset were just interchangeable humans I didn't listen to.  
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:34:32 AM by Triforcer »

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2496 on: November 13, 2009, 09:46:01 AM

The Next Sith class is: http://swtor.com/info/holonet/classes/Imperial-Agent

Seems to be the rough counterpart to the Republic Smuggler, both in play style and theme.

-edit- It seems to use terrain cover  Thumbs up!

I'm going to be sad when every ranged class but the Trooper uses cover like that  cry

« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:48:30 AM by Fordel »

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2497 on: November 13, 2009, 10:32:05 AM

Doesn't the trooper compensate with the bunnyhop skill?

Carth bugged me a bit, but Carth 2 in Mass Effect bothered me more. Sat him ASAP and that's why I expected Carth 3 in DA:O.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #2498 on: November 13, 2009, 10:45:28 AM

How can anyone not hate Carth's filthy reeking guts? He flees like a coward, leaving Mission to die at the hands of two Sith. By which I mean Revan and Bastila, of course. Have none of you ever done a dark side playthrough? Shooting in the face is too good for that stuttering emo douchebag. I want to stalk him through the jungle with a bowie knife, then gut him alive and leave him for the animals.

Also, Bastila was the hottest chick in any game ever. At least once she quit being a prim and proper Jedi and gave in to her inner Sith slut. Forget all the giant-boobed half-naked whores in other games, all Bastila had to do was call me "mahstuh" in that English accent a couple of times and I was fucking sold.

Kageh
Terracotta Army

Reply #2499 on: November 13, 2009, 11:12:09 AM

I bet that once this game is live, the class distribution is going to look like this: Jedi 40%, Sith Warrior 30%, Bounty Hunter 10%, all other classes 10%.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2500 on: November 13, 2009, 11:13:32 AM

I bet that once this game is live, the class distribution is going to look like this: Jedi 40%, Sith Warrior 30%, Bounty Hunter 10%, all other classes 10%.

I agree, except with all of the percentages you indicated, which are wrong.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Kageh
Terracotta Army

Reply #2501 on: November 13, 2009, 11:46:06 AM

You mean with me stupidly overlooking they don't add up to 100%  ACK! or are you assuming a totally different spread?
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #2502 on: November 13, 2009, 11:49:04 AM

More Sith than Jedi.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2503 on: November 13, 2009, 12:01:34 PM

Just means more Trooper drops for me!

Kageh
Terracotta Army

Reply #2504 on: November 13, 2009, 01:39:55 PM

More Sith than Jedi.

I've been thinking about this quite a bit myself, but I somehow doubt it. I think that as far as classic Star Wars goes, more people would roleplay a Luke Skywalker type rather than Vader. And the new trilogy didn't exactly make him more popular.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #2505 on: November 13, 2009, 02:14:27 PM

But I was going to go to Toshi Station to pick up some power converters!

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #2506 on: November 13, 2009, 02:29:26 PM

More Sith than Jedi.

I've been thinking about this quite a bit myself, but I somehow doubt it. I think that as far as classic Star Wars goes, more people would roleplay a Luke Skywalker type rather than Vader. And the new trilogy didn't exactly make him more popular.

Force Choke and Force Lightning never goes out of style.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Kovacs
Terracotta Army

Reply #2507 on: November 13, 2009, 03:56:16 PM

More Sith than Jedi.

Of the 1,000 or so roleplayers who buy a box I can believe there'll be a 40-30 jedi to sith split. Of the other 999 thousand+ boxes sold I imagine most'ish of those will probably be sith.  The historical evidence seems pretty conclusive at this point.  I'm thinking primarily of swg's dark side v. light side, Horde v. Alliance and more recently Destro. v. Order.  Bad is beautiful.  I'd imagine that Aion is much more likely than SWOTOR to be the exception that proves the rule if only because with no pregame canon the Asmo.'s sole claim to fame was that they looked like Slightly Less Frufffy Elves not Terrible Looking Baddasses and thus drew only slightly greater numbers.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 04:08:18 PM by Kovacs »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2508 on: November 13, 2009, 04:19:13 PM

Horde v. Alliance

Uh... this is a pretty strong counter-example actually. At release, Alliance had a huge numerical advantage over Horde across all servers as a whole.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2509 on: November 13, 2009, 04:23:19 PM

How can anyone not hate Carth's filthy reeking guts? He flees like a coward, leaving Mission to die at the hands of two Sith. By which I mean Revan and Bastila, of course. Have none of you ever done a dark side playthrough? Shooting in the face is too good for that stuttering emo douchebag. I want to stalk him through the jungle with a bowie knife, then gut him alive and leave him for the animals.

Also, Bastila was the hottest chick in any game ever. At least once she quit being a prim and proper Jedi and gave in to her inner Sith slut. Forget all the giant-boobed half-naked whores in other games, all Bastila had to do was call me "mahstuh" in that English accent a couple of times and I was fucking sold.

It scares me when you post shit that makes me realize you and I think alike at times.

Mmm. Bastila.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlodmblZHNs&feature=related -  3:52 in.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 04:41:32 PM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #2510 on: November 13, 2009, 04:54:22 PM

Horde v. Alliance

Uh... this is a pretty strong counter-example actually. At release, Alliance had a huge numerical advantage over Horde across all servers as a whole.

If I say 'alliance are the badguys', will WUA go full nerd on us and throw a shitfit?
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #2511 on: November 13, 2009, 05:44:27 PM

If I say 'alliance are the badguys', will WUA go full nerd on us and throw a shitfit?

I don't know, but I hear those are the magic words to say if you want to hit 3rd base with Simond.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #2512 on: November 13, 2009, 07:52:55 PM

It scares me when you post shit that makes me realize you and I think alike at times.

Mmm. Bastila.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlodmblZHNs&feature=related -  3:52 in.

Well we do, because that was the exact scene and line that I was thinking of. I don't care what the canon story is, as far as I'm concerned Revan took over the galaxy, finished off Carth, and lived happily ever after, banging evil Bastila out of her mind every night while she said the filthiest things imaginable with that accent.

Yes. Do it.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #2513 on: November 13, 2009, 07:54:56 PM

Horde v. Alliance

But how was the split on PvP servers? My memory is hazy, but I believe it favored Horde.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2514 on: November 13, 2009, 08:22:21 PM

Horde v. Alliance

But how was the split on PvP servers? My memory is hazy, but I believe it favored Horde.

It did, PvP servers were usually heavily Horde sided, and PvE servers heavily Alliance sided. This is at release. Since then they've opened a shit ton more servers are various times and TBC shifted populations all over the place. People love elves.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #2515 on: November 13, 2009, 10:38:07 PM

I dunno, I didn't mind Carth.  I played light side, though, so whatever weirdness the plot goes through in the last act I missed.  I've heard a lot of people complain about his voice, but I liked it... sounded like a real guy, rather than an actor, to me.

Bastila was ok, but it always pissed me off how blatantly she was ripped off of Aribeth from NwN, sans pointy ears.  And Aribeth's got that push-up plate mail going for her.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2516 on: November 14, 2009, 03:25:27 PM

Now NWN, that's a game I've totally forgotten about, I don't think I ever finished it even.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #2517 on: November 15, 2009, 08:35:38 AM

I don't think evil sides have an inherent swing towards them - the real question is, "Who looks the best?". WoW had the best looking side in Alliance while WAR had Destro looking a lot better than Order.

By looks, I mean both physical appearance and powers / abilities.

As for SWOR's class distribution: heavy Jedi of either side that will spread out a bit when players do all of the Force-content and then fool around with another character while waiting for new DLC to come out.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2518 on: November 15, 2009, 11:52:07 AM

I don't think evil sides have an inherent swing towards them - the real question is, "Who looks the best?". WoW had the best looking side in Alliance while WAR had Destro looking a lot better than Order.

By looks, I mean both physical appearance and powers / abilities.

During beta there was a big discussion in WAR about which side would be over populated.  There was a very vocal group that was going destruction because they thought for sure that it would be the "Horde" of WAR (i.e. viewed as having better PvPers, and a smaller population).  When people realized destruction was over populated even in beta they would say "Oh, thats just cause this is beta, we have more hardcore people who really care about the game, when the game is released Order is going to be flooded with newbs" and such.  Turns out, basically the exact opposite happened.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2519 on: November 15, 2009, 01:42:29 PM

Are there ANY examples of a PvP MMO setting where the bad guys did not outnumber the good guys?   It seems pretty obvious to me that a whole lot of people like to to a walk on the dark side in these games.  I mean, you get to wear black and kill people without worrying about conscience or consequence!

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: