Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:40:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2135756 times)
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2240 on: September 04, 2009, 07:34:23 AM

Blizzard almost bankrupted themselves during WoW's development?

I remember hearing it somewhere but can't find a source, I'll keep dredging.  Dismiss it as retardation if you like.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #2241 on: September 04, 2009, 08:18:23 AM

Dismiss it as retardation if you like.
Done.  Along with the tech-support guy has a money hat sillyness.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #2242 on: September 04, 2009, 09:06:26 AM

A "Bioware" studio made of recycled failed MMO development studios has a snowball's chance in Hell.

Just busting out this game's pedigree smashes hope into tiny bitzies.  awesome, for real

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
tkinnun0
Terracotta Army

Reply #2243 on: September 04, 2009, 04:50:27 PM

The more I read, the more I know this will be my game of choice if only their focus on PVP is nonexistent.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2244 on: September 05, 2009, 01:06:30 AM

Done.  Along with the tech-support guy has a money hat sillyness.

That was just facetiousness, in reality they have to make do with felt.

I still can't find where I heard this rumor.  Maybe just internet wankery derived from the Vivendi buyout.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2245 on: September 05, 2009, 02:51:31 AM

I remember hearing it somewhere but can't find a source, I'll keep dredging.  Dismiss it as retardation if you like.
Vivendi Games was losing money big time, relatively speaking, during this period but not because of the Blizzard. And even if Blizzard was somehow losing money for Vivendi Universal (which they weren't) it's not that would bankrupt a media company as huge as VU.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #2246 on: September 05, 2009, 07:32:03 AM

Vivendi Games was losing money big time, relatively speaking, during this period but not because of the Blizzard. And even if Blizzard was somehow losing money for Vivendi Universal (which they weren't) it's not that would bankrupt a media company as huge as VU.

Vivendi had a lot of issues starting in 2002.
Vivendi disclosed a corporate loss of €23.3 billion in its 2002 annual report; the worst loss to date for a French company.

* VU began facing financial trouble. It responded with financial reshuffling, trying to shore up media holdings while selling off shares in its spin-off companies.
    * Reduced its stake in Vivendi Environnement to 40% and sold its stake in Vinci Construction.
    * The flamboyant company's Chairman and CEO, Jean-Marie Messier (who had overseen the most dramatic phase of Vivendi's diversification) resigned. He was replaced by Jean-Rene Fourtou. The company then began reorganizing to stave off bankruptcy. The company announced its strategy to sell non-strategic assets. Its largest single shareholder was the family of Edgar Bronfman, Jr., who was head of Seagram at the time of the merger.
    * Sold its stake in Vizzavi to Vodafone, with the exception of Vizzavi France. It also sold 20.4% of Vivendi Environnement's capital to a group of investors, and its stake in North American satellite operator EchoStar Communications Corporation.
    * VU sells Houghton Mifflin to Thomas H Lee, Blackstone and Bain consortium for US$1.66bn. [3]

Blizzard was sucking down a huge amount of money for a MMO that was running over schedule - it was plausible that Vivendi could have cancelled the whole thing. Vivendi's financial issues in 2002 are also the probable reason that the 10 year contract they signed to do a Marvel MMO only lasted three years before Microsoft picked up the deal. My understanding is that Wolfpack was doing pre-production work on the Marvel MMO and that screenshots exist out there somewhere of it, probably in a print magazine.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #2247 on: September 06, 2009, 06:14:40 AM

Coruscant will be a playable planet:

(camera footage from PAX)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtNs4hXRu7I

Given what little we know about the nature of the game, I think it is safe to assume there will be several public and instanced (small and larger) subzones, just like Taris in KOTOR: awesome background scenery, but very few reachable areas.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #2248 on: September 11, 2009, 10:24:03 AM

The PAX footage left me with a whole lot of questions. Notably they totuted the awesome new group dialogue mechanic along wiht a "choices matter mechanic."   They did not however resolve how those choices are made in group settings....
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #2249 on: September 11, 2009, 10:48:43 AM

The PAX footage left me with a whole lot of questions. Notably they totuted the awesome new group dialogue mechanic along wiht a "choices matter mechanic."   They did not however resolve how those choices are made in group settings....

Earlier comments indicated groups decide by a vote with the most votes winning. So don't have your lightside Jedi join up with darkside Sith or the peer pressure will have them doing meth and killing younglings before you know it.

AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #2250 on: September 11, 2009, 01:31:37 PM

Earlier comments indicated groups decide by a vote with the most votes winning. So don't have your lightside Jedi join up with darkside Sith or the peer pressure will have them doing meth and killing younglings before you know it.
Which frankly makes sense.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2251 on: September 11, 2009, 01:39:40 PM

Well, the Sith/Jedi combo is a bit extreme. I doubt they'd ever allow that type of grouping.

But the point of mixed-faction players within a decision tree is interesting and still complicated. Someone wants to be neutral good while another neutral evil. Do they never end up being allowed to group for group quests? Or will they be allowed to opt-out of the impact of their vote so only some people in the group get impacted by the results? Or, does the act of opting-out mean they get dumped from the group and potentially some sort of faction adjustment as a result (+honor for ditching from a group that wants to assassinate?).

Still too many questions.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2252 on: September 11, 2009, 03:46:55 PM

Um... did I miss a piece of news where they said you could group at all cross-faction? I thought their campaigns were completely separate.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2253 on: September 11, 2009, 04:25:48 PM

We can't let facts get in the way of hyperbole about why a game is going to be terrible.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2254 on: September 11, 2009, 05:01:55 PM

Um... did I miss a piece of news where they said you could group at all cross-faction? I thought their campaigns were completely separate.

It's specifically about the group missions. Seems like every time some insight about them comes out, more questions are asked than answered.

It's not about whether the game is going to be good or not. The success of SWTOR is completely independent of group missions anyway. That's not a big attractive feature, merely something to debate endlessly smiley
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #2255 on: September 11, 2009, 05:03:59 PM

Trooper gameplay footage from PAX (starts at 0:15 or so)
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2256 on: September 11, 2009, 05:35:26 PM

God, their animations reek :(

Also way to die demo player  awesome, for real

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #2257 on: September 11, 2009, 06:11:14 PM

I'm seriously hoping it's 'placeholder' grade animation. Either that or Bioware have somehow regressed a decade in game development on an aesthetic level. You really don't want to see the Smuggler's current run animation. If you ever thought WoW's human male carrot-ass run was bad...

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #2258 on: September 11, 2009, 06:18:09 PM

The animation wasn't the only thing that stood out in that clip... Did anyone else see the mobs warp through a wall and then magically reappear in front of the barrier? That'll make for a fun MMO game.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #2259 on: September 11, 2009, 06:20:45 PM

Yeah that looked like it was far from playable, the mobs warped, the death animations didn't go off at least once, animations looked fucked up.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2260 on: September 11, 2009, 07:00:26 PM

Also, that is far from a BFG announcer guy.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2261 on: September 12, 2009, 12:22:47 PM

What, your hips don't swivel like a turret when you're running around?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Also, that is far from a BFG announcer guy.

It didn't really look too much bigger than the gun he had equipped before.  I was expecting them to pull out a Dark Trooper gun or that Missile Launcher thingy the Clone Troopers ran around with in the Tartakovsky Clone Wars series.  Instead it was.... another rifle.  awesome, for real

The whole thing looked a little.. hm.. rounded, too.  The walkers in particular looked like some sort of chibi-ized version of an animated version of the walkers you see in the movies.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2262 on: September 12, 2009, 12:58:31 PM

This is what, a year or so from launch?

I'm surprised they are sharing so much footage tbh.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Gutboy Barrelhouse
Terracotta Army

Reply #2263 on: September 12, 2009, 01:13:51 PM

If it's placeholder stuff they are showing then it's WAY too soon to be showing it. First impressions matter.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2264 on: September 12, 2009, 01:23:48 PM

Reminds me of fallen earth running animations.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2265 on: September 12, 2009, 02:36:44 PM

I would bet large that this is final footage, that they don't have terabytes of "real" assets they suddenly push live in the magic fix-everything launch-day patch. The videos don't do it justice, but rarely do they for an MMO anyway. I do think they should dial it back and perhaps virally distribute some form of playable experience. Not MMO per se, but some new way to talk to people who otherwise see WoW colors in SW lore.

The other vibe I'm getting from the videos is that they seem to be trying as hard as possible to throw enough "looks like SW" stuff to not alienate the millions of SW fans they hope to get but who never played KOTOR or KOTOR2. There's definitely a SW style that works thousands of years prior; but the stuff they've been featuring in videos really looks to be positioning almost Storm Troopers, almost Walkers, almost Tie Fighters, etc.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2266 on: September 12, 2009, 02:44:10 PM

The biggest doubt I have over this project is that they continually gloss over the multiplayer aspect.

So far the only evidence we've seen that this s a multiplayer game (let alone massively multiplayer) is a group of two.

Increasingly, it looks like Hellgate with more art assets.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2267 on: September 12, 2009, 10:52:07 PM

So...

...Those blasters really don't have much for stopping force, do they?
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #2268 on: September 13, 2009, 01:28:35 AM

Every class might have a separate campaign, but you can invite people to do missions / take part in them.

Some other lore I've seen in SWOR points to a kind of treaty between Sith and Jedi, so cross faction teaming on some missions isn't necessarily out of the picture.

Lantyssa - I don't think this game is going to be terrible, but it is going to be a massively single player game that I can't see BioWare maintaining the content output for it over an extended period of time. And I see a lot of these early claims people going nuts over - it's pre-suck Star Wars! With voice overs! - as not having a lot of meat behind them.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2269 on: September 13, 2009, 09:45:37 AM

The "It's going to be awesome!" crowd is just as stupid, though less annoying, than the "This is going to be shit because..." crowd.  We don't know enough because they've barely released any solid details.  It's still way too early.

The speculation about how the game is a failure because we've seen a couple of scripted clips showing off one aspect in an alpha build is tiresome.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2270 on: September 13, 2009, 10:36:19 AM

So...

...Those blasters really don't have much for stopping force, do they?

About as much as any game that uses hitpoints and guns.  Two systems I hate seeing mixed, even if the game is awesome.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Zane0
Terracotta Army

Reply #2271 on: September 13, 2009, 10:39:43 AM

I don't know. The reflexive white knighting I've seen for this ramshackle, frequently bamboozling single-multiplayer-whatthefuck rpg can be equally tiresome to behold, I find.
Zane0
Terracotta Army

Reply #2272 on: September 13, 2009, 10:40:08 AM

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2273 on: September 13, 2009, 11:00:49 AM

I don't know. The reflexive white knighting I've seen for this ramshackle, frequently bamboozling single-multiplayer-whatthefuck rpg can be equally tiresome to behold, I find.

If you'd rather read page after page of how much a game sucks, there's always the Warhammer sub-forum.  Personally I find it a bit of a waste how much time some people here spend discussing shit they don't like.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #2274 on: September 13, 2009, 06:00:13 PM

Hating on Star Wars if pretty fun, given that it's the most overrated anything of all time, ever.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: