Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 12:12:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Valkyrie 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Valkyrie  (Read 12572 times)
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #35 on: October 07, 2008, 12:58:07 AM

Not that this looks like a decent movie or anything, but is the stink about this movie in Germany due to the portrayal of essentially traitors in a positive light?

Are you serious?

No it's because most American historically themed movies are history mangling shitfests and nobody over here wanted a film crew led by Singer and Cruise using actual historic locations in germany to make some kind of entertainment fluff piece about that part of German history.

I mean you should at least try to treat the subject with respect for the actual historic events that happened. The German authorities are very reluctant to allow anybody to film anything about WW2 at the actual historic locations due to their fear of giving projects that just treat Nazi Germany as some sort of plot device or instant villainy legitimacy.

There are a lot of hollywood productions that just use Nazi themed stuff for cheap thrills/laughs etc. Germany takes that part of its history VERY seriously and is very sceptical about any project depicting it. Especially if it's to be done by that director/actor combo. They even nearly refused downfall a film permit because they felt the film treated Hitler as too sympathetic.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 07, 2008, 10:04:18 AM

Not that this looks like a decent movie or anything, but is the stink about this movie in Germany due to the portrayal of essentially traitors in a positive light?
Could not type an answer, because I laughed to hard.

What Jeff said.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: October 07, 2008, 04:22:56 PM

I read Tigers in the Mud recently, which had a pretty strong bias against people who were working against the country, regardless of political affiliation. Despite having visited Dachau and so on I don't really have a very good feel for how the German government feels about WWII, other than wanting to make sure that its lessons aren't forgotten. Hollywood treats history with irreverence so often I guess it just doesn't even seem like an issue to me when it does so again.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: October 07, 2008, 04:26:22 PM

What they said.  I know the stink for me is how fast and loose hollywood plays with history.  The stink most are smelling is probably Tom Cruise's thetan-stench heaped into a flaming pile of shit set within a "historical backdrop".  It looks similar to The Patriot in style but with worse acting.
Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: October 08, 2008, 02:48:33 PM

I watched Lions for Lambs recently, which was decent but every time I saw him I thought of the Scientology video. I think it's stained my perception of him forever.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: October 09, 2008, 08:42:40 AM

It looks similar to The Patriot in style but with worse acting.
God, how much I hate that movie.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: January 10, 2009, 09:17:13 PM

So has anyone seen this?

I was going to watch the last showing last night, but we were 10 minutes late, and they closed the doors.

Should I bother going to see it later this week?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: January 11, 2009, 04:58:43 AM

For me, the movie was mediocre.  It had some interesting moments, and Tom Cruise surprisingly didn't ruin everything, but the overall experience felt like a cable-tv movie with high production values, perhaps something A&E or TNT would make.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #43 on: January 12, 2009, 10:11:26 PM

I just want to watch the "We have to ... KILL HITLER! <thunderclap>" part over and over and over again. Something about it makes me laugh every fucking time.

God Save the Horn Players
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: January 20, 2009, 05:53:38 PM

I got to see this for free with a friend who works at a theatre... went in with some curiosity but low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. There are no standout performances, no brilliant setpieces, no great writing or bravura filmmaking but... hey, tense direction and cock-eyed attention to detail makes something new out of history to which we know the ending. It's a lot like Thirteen Days in that regard, and I imagine it's just about as questionably accurate to the events it portrays.

Like Thirteen Days, it'll make a nice rental or something to pick up on cable.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
rask
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: January 21, 2009, 07:58:50 AM

I was jazzed that Eddy Izzard had a small part awesome, for real That came as a surprise. Overall, it wasn't as horrible as I suspected it was going to be. Not great either, just...ok.

< rask = fng >
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #46 on: June 20, 2009, 07:44:08 PM

Tom Cruise sucks ass. 

Kenneth Brannagh is a badass.

Overall this movie is better than advertised here and probably merits the 60% from Rotten Tomatoes.  You must be willing to enact willing suspension of disbelief, but that should be easy for all you Star Wars fans out there. 
VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: June 23, 2009, 10:24:11 AM

While I find the history of the plot and the story interesting, I can't get past Cruise to bring myself to watch it which is a shame. Another reason to dislike the little shit. Fucking scientologists - LRH would be laughing his ass off, if wasn't a dead schizo'.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Valkyrie  
Jump to: