Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:03:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 1012621 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2660 on: March 15, 2016, 02:57:52 PM

Thanks, and without a dobut. Never put the cart before the yoshi or let the tail wag the god or count chickens before they're eggs..

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #2661 on: March 21, 2016, 09:03:52 PM

First day at a new job and I've already sat through one interminable business planning meeting and been told I need to find an advisor/mentor/something within the next few weeks for reasons. Just let me sit in a cave and fix your servers like you hired me to do, shitters.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2662 on: March 22, 2016, 06:22:19 AM

First day at a new job and I've already sat through one interminable business planning meeting and been told I need to find an advisor/mentor/something within the next few weeks for reasons. Just let me sit in a cave and fix your servers like you hired me to do, shitters.

YOU'RE PART OF A TEAM NOW MAGGOT!  why so serious?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #2663 on: March 22, 2016, 06:23:20 AM

I've named my cube the Mushroom Manor and use it as my location message for Jabber here at work.  Luckily my boss more or less understands me and gets the joke there.

Yesterday I got to sit in a meeting with someone who's contract is up at the end of the month and she's explaining how to use this Excel spreadsheet/tool she created for our LBE monthly planning and it's great that she knows all this Excel coding and macros and stuff, but if you need a detailed guide to use it and there's almost no one else around who could edit or maintain it, then it's kind of a bitch to deal with.  Plus, the thought of having a spreadsheet with 60+ tabs by the end of the year is just... ugh.  Even if most of them are "super" hidden.  Saving the file in .xlsb format isn't going to save that much space over .xlsx format, I'm guessing.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #2664 on: March 22, 2016, 06:47:18 AM

and been told I need to find an advisor/mentor/something within the next few weeks for reasons.
Lame. 15 years a professional and I've never had a mentor or advisor in any way. Trial by fire!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2665 on: March 22, 2016, 04:33:34 PM

I've had good experiences with mentors.  Maybe I'm the dumb one.

Possibly related, I think I really want to learn Go so that I can help fix these fucking "tools" we are using.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2666 on: March 22, 2016, 04:35:23 PM

Go is indeed what all the cool kids are using these days for systems programming.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2667 on: March 22, 2016, 04:38:22 PM

Man, sounds I'm bona-fide after less than 10 months from square zero.  I should have gone into big finance. why so serious?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #2668 on: March 24, 2016, 07:48:21 PM

Go is good stuff.  Within 50% of C/C++ performance-wise in many cases (so not the kinds of performance issues you see with a lot of scripty languages), staticly typed, compiler catches your mistakes, builds nice self-contained static binaries for easy deployment, very solid standard library, and a streamlined syntax that *feels* scripty and is not full of punctuation and repetition like C++/Java.

Not perfect, not exactly a force on the desktop or in mobile, but for unix-y commandline tools or servers it is very very solid.  Unsurprising given that's what the design team was targeting.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2669 on: March 25, 2016, 09:12:34 AM

I'm not dodging it, but I need to pace myself on learning new shit so I can actually do work.  The speedbump is when available tools won't serve my needs and, well I think I already complained about that.  Due to deadlines, I'm going to have to work around shortcomings rather than take a github sabbatical and enhance someone else's garbage.

Software devs get sad when you start referring to things as 'garbage'.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #2670 on: March 26, 2016, 07:58:12 PM

I'm continuing to spend time on nodeJS for the next few more months and then it's go into Go.  I've noticed what's been mentioned above plus several node contributors have moved to Go.  Since we're chatting, what about web assembly?   That seems what FB and others are planning with VR (yes, it's 1999 and VRML is back).
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #2671 on: March 26, 2016, 10:28:18 PM

I'm a bit skeptical about webassembly, but almost anything is better than "target a very tiny integer-safe subset of javascript that we hope you have a modern enough browser that it gets JIT'd into something relatively performant" that emscripten and other "compile to javascript" tools have been using prior.

I still think the biggest thing the web needs for "real apps" to be deployable is a sane neutral IR (which webassembly may accomplish) and the ability to get an efficient path to input / rasterization / audio / etc, instead of having to go through the DOM (not following closely enough to see if this is accomplished, but I can hope).

I don't think anyone except compiler/tools folks will be writing/generating webassembly -- instead, assuming it works out, we'll end up with a generation of browsers that can efficiently run platform-neutral code, possibly allowing for "native" web apps that are relatively competitive with real native apps.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #2672 on: March 27, 2016, 06:12:00 PM

Very interesting and well said, thank you.  The only other thing of big interest for me that I am pseudo following is MQTT.  I sense it may become more than what IOT may bring. Thoughts?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2673 on: March 27, 2016, 08:24:35 PM

First I've read of it.  I'll need to understand it more but seems like it's aimed squarely at small payload, where I suppose AMQP is general-purpose?  Our ceiling will be in data delivery, not in messaging, but we aren't doing what other people are doing so YMMV.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #2674 on: March 31, 2016, 11:03:38 PM

So the personnel actions are finally coming through for my onward assignment, which is good.

The disconcerting part is that they're all labeled as Separation actions. It's a technicality, and only for a year, but still... Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2675 on: April 01, 2016, 07:30:43 AM

No sooner than I completed 'hello, world' in Go, someone told me that Rust is the new hot thing.  So, sure, whatever.

Also, the jobs link is real again: http://ibm.biz/BdH3av

Of course, you'd be working for IBM instead of The Weather Channel, but it's still a great place.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2676 on: April 01, 2016, 08:08:15 AM

Nim is actually the new hot thing in that space. Go is what the cool kids (and cool neckbeards) are using to get shit done with (Google's internal stuff, Docker, Kubernetes, etc.). Rust really only has Mozilla (who is a sponsor of Rust) doing anything reasonably large-scale that I know of (their new browser rendering engine), though a large part of that is that Rust only hit 1.0 in August 2015.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #2677 on: April 01, 2016, 08:30:25 AM

So the personnel actions are finally coming through for my onward assignment, which is good.

The disconcerting part is that they're all labeled as Separation actions. It's a technicality, and only for a year, but still... Ohhhhh, I see.

How long are you out there in the world before they make you do a stint in DC?
What's on your short list?

- Viin
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2678 on: April 01, 2016, 10:02:46 AM

Nim is actually the new hot thing in that space.

Postponed reading at "indentation based syntax".  I still have PTSD: Python Tab Space Disorder.

I don't need to write a fast binary, but I can't create a PR if I don't know the language used in the project.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #2679 on: April 02, 2016, 07:03:23 AM

How long are you out there in the world before they make you do a stint in DC?
What's on your short list?

Technically, I think you can be out for about 15 years or so before you have to do a DC tour...but I'm not sure if that's actually enforced. My previous boss has been in for more than 14 years now, and she's never served domestically.

As for my short list, I'm thinking I'll be back in DC for my next tour in 2017, or perhaps somewhere else domestically. As of right now, I'm not necessarily seeing anything out there that blows me away, for which I wouldn't need to pick up a language. Spanish gives me a lot of options, but none of them are overwhelming.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #2680 on: April 14, 2016, 10:46:12 AM

Recruiters contacting me to let me know there are great opportunities in 2 or 3 companies in my area, all paying $20-25k/year less, make me laugh.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2681 on: April 14, 2016, 12:49:29 PM

Extra points if they obviously didn't read your profile/resume.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #2682 on: April 14, 2016, 12:53:53 PM

Sadly they did. They really want my skills but apparently don't want to pay for them.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2683 on: April 14, 2016, 02:29:02 PM

Sadly they did. They really want my skills but apparently don't want to pay for them.

Welcome to America!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2684 on: April 14, 2016, 03:07:46 PM

It's not true America until the three CEOs looking run into Selbys CEO and discuss how much they're looking to pay. At which point Selby is fired for spurious reasons and all 4 are looking for someone at the lower rate.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2685 on: April 19, 2016, 02:21:37 PM

Ever looked at the people walking out the door during a layoff and envied their severance pay?
schild
Administrator

Reply #2686 on: April 19, 2016, 03:46:52 PM

Yes.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2687 on: April 19, 2016, 05:57:10 PM

Yes.  Additionally, many of them obtained early retirement packages, which were more awesome than that sounds.

My favorite people are the ones who took a retirement package upon outsourcing, then took an awesome retirement package from the second company, and finally got jobs back in the original company after whatever the required time lapse was.  There aren't enough bags of dicks.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #2688 on: April 19, 2016, 07:54:18 PM

Extra points if they obviously didn't read your profile/resume.

I got one of those the other day.  It was super weird.

-"We've got your resume on file and it looks like you've got a lot of great experience so we'd like to offer a supervisor role."
"Great!"
-"What kind of career specifically are you looking for?"
"...Um, well, as it says on my resume, I just finished my engineering degree, so something in engineering would be ideal."
-"Engineering?  We don't generally staff engineering positions.  Are you sure?"
"Pretty sure, yeah?"
-"Yes, well, I've reviewed your application and unfortunately you don't meet our requirements for this position.  Thankyougoodday."
"Okay, uh, bye, I guess."
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2689 on: April 20, 2016, 12:19:46 PM

My favorite people are the ones who took a retirement package upon outsourcing, then took an awesome retirement package from the second company, and finally got jobs back in the original company after whatever the required time lapse was.  There aren't enough bags of dicks.
Actually that sounds exactly like my ideal endgame. I'm your favorite person this week!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2690 on: April 20, 2016, 01:22:11 PM

It's easy to forget my rule of hating the game instead of the player in extreme situations.  I'm sure I'd have taken all of those packages.  I'm largely bitter about never cracking the in-crowd at TCCC.

brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #2691 on: April 21, 2016, 09:29:06 PM

Interesting discussion at work...

Coworker: Things are pretty much the same here in this department (just how work is, and how not much changes), except we now have people doing side by sides with us taking notes, so I don't even know if we'll be here next month. (in a kinda sarcastic tone).

Me: You mean the Indians, I've seen around?

Coworker: Yeah, they're business efficiency experts from some company, um, Tata? Have you heard of them?

Me: swamp poop Yeah...

Coworker: Do you know what they do?

Me: swamp poop

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2692 on: April 22, 2016, 05:25:00 AM

Get that LinkedIn profile up to speed.

I think Tata makes cars.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2693 on: April 22, 2016, 05:59:18 AM

Yeah if the Tata Group shows up, get your resume updated because your company is about to get outsourced.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2694 on: April 22, 2016, 07:11:42 AM

I think Tata makes cars.
Are they bodacious?
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: