Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 09:23:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 1012769 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #1680 on: August 25, 2014, 08:32:59 PM

Don't you remember that I researched both locations before making your title? Please. A lot of thought goes into those fucking things. It's why it takes me upwards 8 months to come up with some of them.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1681 on: August 27, 2014, 01:51:21 PM

One of our clients wants me to interview for their controller job today. We'll see how that goes.

If you get it I will start calling you Sir Topham Hatt. 

I did get it. The increase in salary is very nice and I don't have to do tax seasons anymore. I think I'm going to accept it.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1682 on: August 27, 2014, 02:30:34 PM

I did get it. The increase in salary is very nice and I don't have to do tax seasons anymore. I think I'm going to accept it.

Congrats Monkey man!  That's awesome.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1683 on: August 27, 2014, 03:26:04 PM

One of our clients wants me to interview for their controller job today. We'll see how that goes.

That Joke.  I got it.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1684 on: August 27, 2014, 07:11:25 PM

Wow.  Nice work, Hatt!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1685 on: August 27, 2014, 07:24:47 PM

Congrats on the job Paelos.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1686 on: August 27, 2014, 08:02:22 PM

Thank you all, it will be nice to get back to liking the holidays instead of dreading the long season right after that.

It will be my first manager role, so that's something too.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1687 on: August 28, 2014, 05:19:03 AM

That Joke.  I got it.

Me too, but I kept that shit to myself.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1688 on: August 28, 2014, 09:30:39 AM

cry

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1689 on: August 28, 2014, 09:45:14 AM

It's OK to like trains and not like Thomas.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1690 on: September 03, 2014, 08:37:41 AM

He used to be just a boy.  I don't know what happened?   ACK!

I became a man-child in a suit with disposable income.

ie - US foreign service officer.
Ditto.  Minus the suit.

I shall be joining you in 6 figure land next year.  All I had to do was agree to live in Ebola land for two years.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1691 on: September 03, 2014, 05:59:43 PM

Man, if I had been leaving Benin this year, I could have had my title be, "Trading Ebola for Narcos in 2014!"

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #1692 on: September 04, 2014, 06:50:57 AM

Right now mine would be "Trading Pirogi and hot busty blonds for Ebola in 2015"

Ohhhhh, I see.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #1693 on: September 04, 2014, 07:04:49 AM

Anyone amongst you fluent in a non-European foreign language, have an active clearance, and looking for contractor work?
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #1694 on: September 04, 2014, 07:35:43 AM

Right now mine would be "Trading Pirogi and hot busty blonds for Ebola in 2015"

Now I'm tempted to grab a cheap flight to Warsaw for a weekend this fall.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #1695 on: September 06, 2014, 05:52:36 PM

If it's just a weekend, you'll probably want to head down to Krakow for it.  While Warsaw is actually the better place to live (city has a lot of unique charm once you know where to find it), Krakow is way better to visit.  Making it through WW2 unscathed, It has all the awesome old buildings and culture you could want, as well as a high density of really cool bars, restaurants, and young energetic folk (IE the hot busty blondes). 

Warsaw, meanwhile, got burned to the ground and rebuilt in Stalins image.   ACK!

-Stephen Colbert
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1696 on: September 09, 2014, 10:23:07 PM

My company just fucked everyone over on insurance coverage. I basically just took a $5000 pay cut. My boss earlier this year lobbied for me to get a title change and a pay increase but he couldn't make it happen. He said that upper management told him they might do something more for me if they thought I was going to leave. I like the place, but I will be looking for something else unless they can somehow offset what I just lost. My boss told me that he would appreciate a heads up if I was thinking about moving on. He isn't a total dick and I don't expect him to fuck me over if I tell him I am thinking about looking elsewhere. Do I tell my boss I am thinking about leaving or should I just look and keep it quiet?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1697 on: September 09, 2014, 11:01:46 PM

You have to ask yourself if you really believe they do not want to let you go.  If you feel secure, in that knowledge, it sounds like you have some leverage and can indeed tell him.  The worst that can happen is what you are already considering anyway.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1698 on: September 09, 2014, 11:22:57 PM

Done this a few times, what kind of position are you in?

- Viin
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1699 on: September 10, 2014, 04:39:12 AM

Even if you feel you should tell your current employer that you are looking, you are not required to. In my experience it is better to not offer up anything until you have a signed offer from elsewhere in hand. The first time I told an employer I was looking for something else I was fired the end of the next day as " an example" to show the other people I worked with who thought it was impossible to be fired from that company. I was also left out of annual raises which were supposed to go to everyone on Campus last year because I had told the boss that I had interviewed for another job so they felt I was "already leaving" so it was not worth it for them to send even a token amount more money my way.

Your experience may vary, but even if you feel that you should be honest and let them know so they can prepare etc., it may be worse for you if you do instead of better.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1700 on: September 10, 2014, 05:38:49 AM

Husband has an in-person interview tomorrow. The phone interview went really, really well, but I'm trying not to get any hopes up.  He's gotten to third/final interviews a few times and things haven't panned out on those, but something's got to happen soon.

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #1701 on: September 10, 2014, 06:00:34 AM

I'm interviewing people for the long-vacant jobs in my department now and it's woefully depressing. Grown adults in their 40's, 50's, and 60's - decades of experience in a cornucopia of fields - with tight little rictus smiles on their pale and terrified faces, stuttering as they answer a set of largely generic and meaningless questions I'm mandated to ask... all for a relatively low-paying part-time work putting books on shelves (with nice health care and a retirement plan).

All is not well in the world.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1702 on: September 10, 2014, 07:22:06 AM

I'm interviewing people for the long-vacant jobs in my department now and it's woefully depressing. Grown adults in their 40's, 50's, and 60's - decades of experience in a cornucopia of fields - with tight little rictus smiles on their pale and terrified faces, stuttering as they answer a set of largely generic and meaningless questions I'm mandated to ask... all for a relatively low-paying part-time work putting books on shelves (with nice health care and a retirement plan).

All is not well in the world.

Its depressing but I've looked into something like that for my dad.  Get in the last 5 years, get vested and retire with great benefits.  It's a good consolation prize on 3 decades of self-employment.
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1703 on: September 10, 2014, 08:01:24 AM

I'm in IT. I know my boss likes me. I've gotten the best reviews I've gotten in my entire career here. He really was going to bat for me and the executives actually told him to let them know if he thought that I was looking. I know they want to keep me around and we are a small department so leaving will but a big burden on him. I've got specialized knowledge and some major projects that are up in the air that will cost him a lot of time and the company a lot of money if I bail. I'm not saying I'm not replaceable, just that it will be painful and he won't want that to happen. I'm reasonably confident I can get a bump in pay, it just might not be what I want.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1704 on: September 10, 2014, 08:04:47 AM

Your experience may vary, but even if you feel that you should be honest and let them know so they can prepare etc., it may be worse for you if you do instead of better.

Don't mistake working for a boss you like with loyalty to the company. Trust me, it doesn't matter what company you work for, they will all replace your ass for a goddamn monkey if they thought they could get away with it for cheaper. And I don't even mean one of those Shakespearean typewriter monkeys, I mean an actual, shit-flinging retard monkey on crack. No matter how good you think the company is, they will fuck you if it serves their interests over the objections of your boss.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1705 on: September 10, 2014, 08:13:12 AM

What that guy said.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1706 on: September 10, 2014, 08:42:49 AM

And if everyone in charge has the morals and ethics of a shit-flinging monkey, you're even more replaceable.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #1707 on: September 10, 2014, 09:36:16 AM

Get in the last 5 years, get vested and retire with great benefits.  It's a good consolation prize on 3 decades of self-employment.
Oh absolutely.  Same as how the last half dozen young woman who've gotten employed here wait until the six month assessment period is done, immediately get pregnant, and then disappear for up to a year and a half.  It's very nice that American society offers health care options such as these.  It's kind of sad that they have to be disguised as part-time government jobs.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1708 on: September 10, 2014, 01:49:08 PM

I'm in IT. I know my boss likes me. I've gotten the best reviews I've gotten in my entire career here. He really was going to bat for me and the executives actually told him to let them know if he thought that I was looking. I know they want to keep me around and we are a small department so leaving will but a big burden on him. I've got specialized knowledge and some major projects that are up in the air that will cost him a lot of time and the company a lot of money if I bail. I'm not saying I'm not replaceable, just that it will be painful and he won't want that to happen. I'm reasonably confident I can get a bump in pay, it just might not be what I want.

To reiterate what's been said. You are trying to be loyal to a personal relationship, not a business one.

Reverse your situation. Do you think the company would give you a "heads up" if they were thinking of firing you?  Are you friends with your boss, do you go fishing or do things on the weekend that would be hurt by just leaving? If not, you owe them nothing.

You must be cold in business. As cold as the business would be to you, because there is no ROI to loyalty to employees.  The very fact that the execs said, "let us know" says that they know exactly what they're doing and seeing how much crap you'll take. This is only the first step. Fuck them.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1709 on: September 10, 2014, 01:51:34 PM

I'm doing it as less of a personal thing and more to try and gain some leverage and maybe get a bump in pay. I know on the surface that seems like a horrible idea, but I really don't think they want to lose me and there is a decent chance I will get a title change along with a bump next year. I just want to accelerate the process. If they say no, then I'll look. I know it is a dangerous game to play.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1710 on: September 10, 2014, 03:10:25 PM

Personally, here's how I'd look at it.

If you want to stay there, but would like a pay increase or more responsibility or whatever, then tell your boss you are interviewing but you'd rather stay. If they fire you for that, then you are better leaving anyways. But it sounds like they might actually try to keep you, so it doesn't seem likely. (Remember, if you don't ask for a raise or a new position or whatever, you aren't likely to be given one. Those people that seem to move up quickly? It's because they talk to management about wanting more).

If you don't want to stay there, don't bother saying anything. Find a job you want an go. Give them 2 weeks notice if you can (don't burn bridges), but move on. They will either understand or screw 'em.

- Viin
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1711 on: September 10, 2014, 07:11:47 PM

Even if you feel you should tell your current employer that you are looking, you are not required to.
Absolutely do not tell them.  I mean you CAN if you want to leverage another offer for a better offer from your current place, but chances are they'll just tell you to take a hike and that other job better be worth it\real.  When I left my last job in February I told my boss I had another offer and his answer was "ok, see ya!" despite me being the only person who knew the ins and outs of a huge system that no one else wants to deal with that has quite a history of problems and reliability issues that I was addressing and making vast improvements on.  They still can't find anyone to replace me and yet didn't even try to keep me.  I don't feel guilty only giving them 2 weeks notice...
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1712 on: September 11, 2014, 01:43:34 AM

I don't feel comfortable discussing the larger details, but the place I left last year went tits up after I went.  This was despite two years work in me making them number 1 in Scotland.

And it did so because when I went to the UberBoss to talk about changes that needed to be made or I wouldn't be there anymore, I got the reply 'You should go then.'

Yes, I'm given to understand she regrets the comment in hindsight.

If you are going to be honest with your workplace, you should be prepared for two things :

1 - Only be honest if you are genuinely ok with going or if you have something lined up.  You will be amazed how nice people can change and things can...go bad after a nice bout of honesty.
2 - Be aware that people, especially in businesses, are not rational and do not look at things like hiring costs, training costs, or anything else when stacking up against a wage rise.  Do not be surprised at all that logic does not reign.

Also, if you are going to talk, saying 'I'm interviewing' is a bad idea.  Saying you are unhappy and want some changes is ok, but don't tell them you're already sticking in the knife.

Or, just work for Perforce.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1713 on: September 11, 2014, 06:50:26 AM

Do not say anything until you have an offer elsewhere. 

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #1714 on: September 11, 2014, 07:18:09 AM

Out of curiosity, if you're trying to do this sneakily then whom do you use as references?
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: