Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2024, 06:10:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Walking Dead 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 67 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Walking Dead  (Read 566608 times)
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #945 on: April 01, 2013, 11:04:24 PM

That hiker was before Ricks epiphany, though.

I think if they met the hiker last episode they would have taken him in.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #946 on: April 02, 2013, 02:05:09 AM

Rick's taking on of those people at the end isn't really surprising.  This whole show centers around his journey from one extreme to the other as he fights to figure out whether he should fight to protect his small group, or if he is going to fight for humanity in general.  I think he has finally realized that isolating his own group at all costs is only a short term solution, and that mankind is fucked if they don't stop fighting each other.  I still think he will put his own "family" first, but no longer at the expense of everybody else.

Regarding Carl: 
Will be interesting to see where they go next season.  I think they are going to have to get up-rooted from that prison somehow, or it will begin to get too stale.  The zombies in the last half of the season have been barely more dangerous than cattle, and I think they need to re-introduce some element of the survival against the undead.  I realize they need to show man's struggle against his fellow man as well, but that isn't what makes this show fun or unique.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #947 on: April 02, 2013, 09:46:11 AM

Oh, for fuck's sake. Cause and effect, people. The hiker was before the speech and before he realized he wasn't the governor.

It's like I'm taking crazy pills.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #948 on: April 02, 2013, 11:07:58 AM

It's like I'm taking crazy pills.

You got this before me.

Regarding Carl: 

I'll agree with dangerous path, since he's a kid, but not "poor decision" since my eyes told me that they would both be dead otherwise.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #949 on: April 02, 2013, 11:11:06 AM

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Jamiko
Terracotta Army

Reply #950 on: April 02, 2013, 11:51:16 AM

I had the same feeling while watching that scene.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #951 on: April 02, 2013, 02:31:05 PM

It was deliberately ambiguous. It's supposed to divide viewers. Enough said.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #952 on: April 02, 2013, 02:51:49 PM

Good episode. If only they were writing like that for all the dud's this season.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #953 on: April 03, 2013, 08:03:48 AM

Next episode on the walking dead:
 awesome, for real

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #954 on: April 03, 2013, 04:49:13 PM

It was deliberately ambiguous. It's supposed to divide viewers. Enough said.

This is why I'm angry.  The writers are fucking with me.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #955 on: April 04, 2013, 11:52:44 AM

I'm with Carl.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #956 on: April 05, 2013, 06:00:15 AM

I thought the final episode was really well done.  The series wandered a bit during this season but ended strong.  The writers have license to do a lot of things for season 4.  Let's hope they keep up the intensity and don't turn the show into something softer.

I have never played WoW.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #957 on: April 05, 2013, 02:35:02 PM

Are you chaps watching the same episode I did ?

Carl just totally murdered someone.

Stop pissing about it, it's quite clear.

Edited :  and he just admitted it.  You people are nuts.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 02:40:47 PM by Ironwood »

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #958 on: April 05, 2013, 02:40:27 PM

Yes, he did. Someone who apparently took too long to drop the gun when told to do so.

I have to admit, I was thinking "um, isn't he going to put his gun down soon, he said he was going to put it do-holy fuck did that just happen?" during that scene myself. The others aren't wrong, the writers must've deliberately done that to divide the readers and get us arguing amongst ourselves while they make the next season.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #959 on: April 05, 2013, 02:41:15 PM

Oh please.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #960 on: April 05, 2013, 03:33:13 PM

The writers are American. To an American with our love of the gun culture, that scene could go either way depending on where your sympathy towards guns and pre-emptive action lie.

FWIW, I agree with Ironwood.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #961 on: April 05, 2013, 04:07:45 PM

I was leaning towards being on Carl's side based on the shooting scene alone, but I think it becomes clear near the end of the episode when Rick has that talk with Carl that Mazzara wanted the audience to think that Carl overreacted.  Of the reasons Carl gave for shooting the kid, not one indicated that he felt threatened right at that moment.

Over and out.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #962 on: April 05, 2013, 04:38:32 PM

The writers are American. To an American with our love of the gun culture, that scene could go either way depending on where your sympathy towards guns and pre-emptive action lie.

FWIW, I agree with Ironwood.

I have no love of guns but that was the middle of a battle, Carl was protecting the weak members of the group, and that fucker DID NOT drop the gun when told.

I am the .00000001428%
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #963 on: April 05, 2013, 06:21:58 PM

So I checked out the DVR since my daughter watches this and the discussion here was interesting.  I took Haemish's stance based only on comments, that the writers are American and this was a cultural misunderstanding.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 06:23:55 PM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #964 on: April 05, 2013, 07:12:18 PM

Your first sentence and your last kinda contradict each other.

I am the .00000001428%
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #965 on: April 05, 2013, 08:21:05 PM

Your first sentence and your last kinda contradict each other.

Why are we spoilering this, anyway?

--Dave
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 10:24:00 PM by MahrinSkel »

--Signature Unclear
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #966 on: April 05, 2013, 08:24:42 PM

1) He's a war child. He likely doesn't even remember peace and playing around except in fleeting memories. Decisions are made on a binary of survival vs. death. Morality as you, I, or any of the adults doesn't come in to play. He's 13 and his most formative years have been around this ONE central tenant.  You do what it takes to survive or you die.  THAT is his morality.

Without getting into the rest of it, I believe only a year or so has passed since the zombie apocalypse started. I don't think point 1 really stands up given that.

Over and out.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #967 on: April 05, 2013, 08:30:37 PM

Without getting into the rest of it, I believe only a year or so has passed since the zombie apocalypse started. I don't think point 1 really stands up given that.
You don't remember being thirteen, do you? Not all years are created equal when it comes to development.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #968 on: April 05, 2013, 08:41:26 PM

You don't remember being thirteen, do you? Not all years are created equal when it comes to development.

--Dave

I certainly had more than fleeting memories of the past when I was 13, didn't you?  By the way, who is Frank?

Over and out.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #969 on: April 05, 2013, 09:06:30 PM

I think he meant Rick.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #970 on: April 05, 2013, 09:15:52 PM

I'm going to be honest. Most of you still wouldn't have shot the kid. The few that would, would have done so out of fear. That's not what Carl did. Carl shot him because Carl didn't want to deal with the whole aftermath, he didn't want to look over his shoulder, he didn't want to have any doubts. It didn't matter whether the guy he shot was harmless or a serial killer, all Carl saw was a guy with a gun wearing the wrong team jersey. Most people would have waited to the last possible second to pull the trigger if at all. Normal people rather not have to shoot.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #971 on: April 05, 2013, 09:49:11 PM

Normal people rather not have to shoot.

And think this along with Merusk's point about Carl's age is really the crux of this. At this point in time, Carl is NOT a normal person, at fucking all. At a time in his life when the biggest worries he should have is about the facial hair growing on his upper lip, those strange rumblings in his pants and his voice cracking in front of girls, he's instead had to face fighting for his life every single second of every day for the last year from both undead horrors and human shitheads. He's had to put a bullet in his dying mother to keep her from becoming said horror after he watched an almost total stranger cut his baby sister out of his momma's belly. He's watched his dad go through a nervous breakdown AND kill a man that Carl saw as both a moral authority and father figure (Shane) and he's lived through the slow-motion trainwreck disintegration of his parent's marriage. All while he's still just trying to figure out his own place in the world.

Carl is undeniably FUCKED IN THE HEAD. Minus the undead horrors and total collapse of civilization, kid would be looking at some serious counselling to say the least. Whether Carl's choice is the new morality or a poorly telegraphed plot point for next season, it's absolutely understandable what he did.

But again, minus the zombie apocalypse, what he did would be considered murder. It might be justifiable, but it's still fucking murder and a cold-blooded one at that. There's actually a lot of room for some interesting storytelling and character moments with this.

Unfortunately, based on how the writers totally shit the bed on the interesting dilemmas posed by Woodbury and a Governor character that's more than a spray tan character, I'm going to say it'll get annoying by episode 3 if not sooner.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #972 on: April 05, 2013, 10:30:38 PM

--Dave

I certainly had more than fleeting memories of the past when I was 13, didn't you?  By the way, who is Frank?
Yeah, better than most (I was in my twenties before I realized most people don't really remember their childhood).  I also remember how much more 'in the now' I was at that age, and how much I changed in just a couple of years.  A year of hell at 12 is probably the time it would have maximum impact.  Carl can't be judged by normal standards, because of what he's calibrated his standards against.

I meant Rick, it's fixed.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #973 on: April 05, 2013, 10:43:59 PM

To be clear, I think Carl is fucked up by what's been happening since the zombie apocalypse started.  I think fucked up Carl actually a more interesting character.  I just don't think he's fucked up because pre-zombie time is somehow a distant memory.  If we were 5 years into zombie time and he were 8 when it started then yeah, I'd agree with that.

Now I do think that what he's been forced to do has had a greater impact on him than it would on an adult because he's so young.  I also think that one of the unstated reasons he shot that kid is that Carl has completely lost confidence in his father's ability to lead and he doesn't think Rick can make the tough decisions anymore, so Carl will just do it himself.  That attitude has actually been building up over the latter half of the season.

Over and out.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #974 on: April 06, 2013, 03:38:58 AM

Also, the kid was the same age as the blonde girl and had he taken him in, that'd be dick competition.

So boom.

Look, I'm not saying I disagree with any of the good points raised, what I'm saying is I was a little stranged out by the reaction to a guy holding a shotgun by the barrel and clearly terrified being efficiently murdered on screen.  There wasn't even any wiggle room.  Did he relinquish the gun ?  Not really, but he sure as hell wasn't holding it in a way that could be threatening to any imagination.  And then Carl said 'Sure, I wasn't scared or worried or thinking he was going to shoot, he was just a problem and I was getting rid of that problem'. 

And then you come here and find a 'Dilemma' as to what the scene meant.

Hint :  It meant Carl is finally going to be semi interesting.  And a complete nutjob.  For alllll the reasons H mentions.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #975 on: April 06, 2013, 06:23:25 AM

I think there's a disconnect between what the scene was supposed to be and what it actually was. The later discussion between Herschel and Rick makes it crystal clear that the kid was shot down, but the actual scene just isn't that black and white. It's bad direction in the shooting scene.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #976 on: April 06, 2013, 06:37:35 AM

Nope.  If the kid was just going to be gunned down, Carl would have done it without telling him to drop the gun.  Carl gave him two chances to drop the gun and he didn't for whatever reason.

If Carl is a psycho, he wouldn't have given the kid a chance.  Carl's not a psycho, but he will act quickly to kill anyone who he views as a threat.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #977 on: April 06, 2013, 06:42:45 AM

I think there's a disconnect between what the scene was supposed to be and what it actually was. The later discussion between Herschel and Rick makes it crystal clear that the kid was shot down, but the actual scene just isn't that black and white. It's bad direction in the shooting scene.

Carl's immediate reaction in that scene IMO looked more like shock and surprise than one of relief or pitiless psycho.  I think he shot Shane and Morgan with less emotion on his face, but then I'd have to re-watch those to be sure. Taken everything as is (as opposed to chalking it up as bad direction/acting, which I agree with), I'd say Carl wants to be trusted with the heavy lifting and didn't want to admit to accidentally shooting someone in the face. He's justifying his actions in hindsight, which sounds more like something an adult would do.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #978 on: April 06, 2013, 09:58:23 AM

swamp poop

Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #979 on: April 06, 2013, 01:01:46 PM

Totally unrelated but the actress who plays Beth (the younger girl) is 27. Blew my mind. I thought she was like 17.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 67 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Walking Dead  
Jump to: