Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:32:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: So what happened to Encyclopedia Dramatica? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So what happened to Encyclopedia Dramatica?  (Read 12701 times)
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: April 25, 2011, 12:08:35 PM

TBH I'm continually amazed that nobody makes a connection between low click-thorugh rates and traditional advertising.  You pay a premium for print and TV but your follow through % can't be much better than web ads.

Here's the difference-
In most cases ads on the internet were click through in some way, which required active participation on the part of the customer to view the content. For more in your face pop-ups it was one simple click of the finger to ignore them.

In most cases ads on TV and print were passive, in that it required the consumer to do nothing. In fact skipping an ad on TV actually requires you to do something: leave the room, fast forward (if you own a DVR), etc. Most people will simply sit there allowing their brain to be exposed to the message. Additionally with TV and print its about conditioning your audience. You want them to be exposed to the ad a set number of times in order to actively set it in memory.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: April 29, 2011, 10:24:59 PM

Oh, Sand. Is there anything that you aren't the foremost authority on?

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #37 on: April 30, 2011, 01:21:25 AM

It's "I post in Politics more than any other forum" syndrome.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: April 30, 2011, 10:46:53 PM

Oh, Sand. Is there anything that you aren't the foremost authority on?

Yeah quite a few things. I tend to be very well versed on business and marketing since I make my living at it, and I dabble in economic development and non-profits (I sit on two boards).

And Im not the foremost authority on anything. Just one man and an opinion.

I did have some relatively recent experience with the on-line advertising and marketing thing though, as our company was exploring whether or not to continue our campaign. Based on the research we looked (like the Apple bit I mentioned up thread) we have cut back significantly. We do social media, but we are no longer paying for ads or clicks online. Our advertising budget has switched back to more traditional mainstream outlets, such as TV and print (not to be confused with newspapers though).

You wont see me participating in many IT discussions here other than to stare like a zombie with gaping mouth as I try to figure out what everyone is jibber jabbering on about.
Im also horrible at Latin and Sanskrit.  why so serious?
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: May 01, 2011, 01:34:18 AM

It's "I post in Politics more than any other forum" syndrome.

Pretty much

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: May 01, 2011, 03:07:17 PM

Im also horrible at Latin and Sanskrit.  why so serious?

Et tu, arenae?
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #41 on: May 12, 2011, 02:30:17 AM

And for those who care, the NSFW version of ED seems to be continuing at http://encyclopediadramatica.ch/Main_Page.  If anyone can translate the explanation of what happened on this page, perhaps they can bring this thread some closure.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: May 12, 2011, 09:33:55 AM

The gist of it is that the new owner of ED (after the old owner sold it, or something) wanted to make a worksafe database of *chan memes to make the money hats being earned by knowyourmeme and icanhascheeseburger.

I was going to do a line by line translation but decided against it.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: So what happened to Encyclopedia Dramatica?  
Jump to: