Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 05:33:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Sim City (Rip Off) Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sim City (Rip Off) Online  (Read 16159 times)
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

on: November 01, 2008, 03:19:16 PM

Cities XL seems basically to be what Sim City would be if they made an online version. Build your city on a planet with other cities built by other players, and link up with them to trade.

You can also wander around other people’s cities as an avatar, and take part in mini games. For example, if you build a ski slope in your city, other people can go skiing on it.

It looks fun if it all works, and I wish EA was doing this type of thing instead of Sim City Societies.

It’s not clear from the website if there’s any element of competition. For example, if it works like the Sim City games (not Societies) you might be able to lure your neighbour’s high-tech industries away by lowering your tax rates. I’d like there to be some competition, but not to the extent that you can PK your neighbours.

The developers, Monte Cristo, are the people behind single-player Sim City clone City Life, which I haven’t played. I played their online game Star Peace some years ago, which was a tycoon game where different players all ran businesses in the same city. That was good fun, although it was very basic. They at least have experience of producing an online game which works.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 03:46:01 PM

If it's as annoying and boring as their City Life game, then I'll pass. The idea in itself is nice.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 08:32:57 PM

Yeah, Schild pointed this out to me a few weeks back. It's still pretty far out from release and could turn out any which way.

However, Monte Cristo (a) produced City Life, which was shit - and this is technically a sequel to that and (b) loves Starforce.

Hopefully neither (a) nor (b) torpedo this title, but I'm not holding my breath.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 10:11:47 AM

Hopefully neither (a) nor (b) torpedo this title, but I'm not holding my breath.

This :(
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 12:55:23 AM

The only way I would play this is if you could build a giant cock building.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 07:32:12 AM

I played an "M"MO like this a veeeery long time ago - a decade, perhaps? - which I believe is still going in some limited, anaemic way.  I didn't stay with it beyond the trial.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 01:48:01 PM

Lets refer to this one as "Sim Shitty Online".
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 07:19:15 AM

I played an "M"MO like this a veeeery long time ago - a decade, perhaps?
Maybe you're thinking of Legacy Online. The graphics look a lot better here, but the gameplay looks similar. Legacy Online should have been fun, but somehow it just didn't do it for me. I think there was too big a gap between the levers and the outcomes. One day you'd log on and find the market price of whatever you were selling had plummeted, and it was impossible to figure out why. Generally it was hard to find a profitable niche in a server full of vets who had everything locked up.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 07:31:35 AM

Maybe you're thinking of Legacy Online.

Nice work: I think that's the one.  Though as you say, they've updated their graphics...

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 02:47:33 PM

Maybe you're thinking of Legacy Online. The graphics look a lot better here, but the gameplay looks similar. Legacy Online should have been fun, but somehow it just didn't do it for me. I think there was too big a gap between the levers and the outcomes. One day you'd log on and find the market price of whatever you were selling had plummeted, and it was impossible to figure out why. Generally it was hard to find a profitable niche in a server full of vets who had everything locked up.

Turns out Legacy Online and Star Peace, the Monte Cristo game, are the same game.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/2808/postmortem_oceanus_.php

I'm sure it was called Star Peace when I played it.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 02:50:21 PM by palmer_eldritch »
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 08:22:49 PM

Man, those people are persistent.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 01:32:40 AM

Turns out Legacy Online and Star Peace, the Monte Cristo game, are the same game.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/2808/postmortem_oceanus_.php

I'm sure it was called Star Peace when I played it.

Nice one: it was Star Peace when I played it, too.  I knew that Legacy Online sounded wrong, somehow.

Twitter - Endieposts

schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 09:31:06 AM

Today, I dance the dance of bump.

Beta registration has begun.

http://jointhebeta.citiesxl.com/register.php
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 10:07:24 AM

I'm not installing anything from Monte Cristo until someone else has thoroughly vetted it for Starforce.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 12:41:58 PM

I believe the release date was set today as Sept. 3.  But, lawl, it's only in French and German.
What's even funnier is the majority of their support in the forums is from English-speakers.... even considering the Europeans, yet they dont have a planned release date in English.

Now I see why their previous titles didnt carry enough subs to pay for the servers.  Unless you're in the Asian market, your game will fail hard if there's no English support for a Euro MMO.
(sigh)

Did America just get totally abandoned this Summer for games or what??  wth is goin on here?
y'know, I'm tempted just to play this thing in French.  Might be kinda fun making an online city ruled by a God that vaguely understands its people, in a world where all the other Gods may or may not know wth you're saying.

Maybe design some kind of School in the city that magically makes the citizens able to speak English.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 02:04:41 PM

Today, I dance the dance of bump.

Beta registration has begun.

http://jointhebeta.citiesxl.com/register.php

I'm watching you.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 08:00:05 AM

The beta started yet?

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 01:10:02 PM

The beta started yet?

yes, just now.  
Get an FP sub to do it.

I'm a bit confused at the sudden english beta test.  It's not supposed to be out 'cept for German/French.  I'm DLing now, so I'll verify the language.
They're going to have English sites going up later today, so I'm betting they did a quick English translation but are still only releasing the game in Europe.

p.s.
perhaps change name of thread now that this went beta

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 01:31:30 PM

One question I have had, do you have an avatar in this game? can you go paint the town red?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 01:34:11 PM

One question I have had, do you have an avatar in this game? can you go paint the town red?

A better question:  can you go paint other people's towns red?   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 05:20:10 PM

Despite the free publicity I gave them, these people haven't given me a beta invite.

Fileplanet is asking $15 for a beta key. Fuck that.
schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: June 17, 2009, 05:26:53 PM

I got a beta key, but can someone be a doll and install it to see if it has Starforce? ;)
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #22 on: June 17, 2009, 05:33:47 PM

A little Starforce has never killed anyone. I think.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #23 on: June 17, 2009, 05:36:45 PM

Yeah, but the way people cry about it, you would think it's serial killed everyone's mother.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #24 on: June 17, 2009, 06:11:07 PM

Looks like it doesn't! Unfortunately gonna find out the hard way.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #25 on: September 08, 2009, 09:53:04 PM

US Demo available.

This game sucks so much I can't even play it to figure out if it sucks.  Had to go through Emulation/Run As shenanigans to even get it running in Vista (some people are forumclaiming they can only run it if they set one executable to run in XP compat mode and another to run in 98 compat  awesome, for real), then it says I need a key and registration to even play it.  Help page says I need to go to some of their 'partner sites' who 'may' have a key.  Sphincter says what?  Turns out that's an out of date page and really you get one just by registering.  But in learning this, I read through the gnashing and wailing of my compatriots who are telling me that the game has a crash bug every 10 minutes or so.

So yeah, no.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: September 09, 2009, 09:27:27 AM

I got a beta key. The installer fucked up on three different downloads due to corruption. I then heard that this was the worst piece of shit imaginable. Then I forgot about it.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #27 on: September 09, 2009, 10:05:32 AM

I hate strings of ambiguous posts which don't help me decide if I should try a game or not.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 09, 2009, 10:55:03 AM

There's a demo, apparently.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #29 on: September 09, 2009, 11:00:27 AM

Is it in the bottom of a sarchasm? awesome, for real

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: September 09, 2009, 03:20:37 PM

Well we don't color our text anymore. :(
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #31 on: October 22, 2009, 05:07:11 AM

Hm. The game is out, and I'm terribly tempted for some unknown reason.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: October 22, 2009, 05:26:19 AM

Hm. The game is out, and I'm terribly tempted for some unknown reason.

Word of mouth is not very favorable.   Read the SA thread before purchasing.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
schild
Administrator

Reply #33 on: October 22, 2009, 08:07:29 AM

I got a review copy but I haven't been able to get it to install. It needs .net framework. The version it shipped with won't install on Vista 64 and I can't figure out why. My installed version of .net isn't even recognized by it.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: January 27, 2010, 08:59:58 AM

And it's dead, or at least the multiplayer aspect.

From an e-mail I received (as someone who bought the game and played for one month):

Three months after the launch we have to admit that the subscription rate is lower than what we expected and therefore the Planet Offer [the multiplayer part] is not sustainable. Not enough players decided to subscribe.

Therefore, it is with deep regret that we decided to put an end to the Planet Offer as of March 8th 2010. It will no longer be possible to subscribe to the game starting Monday February 1st 2010.
Nevertheless the Cities XL adventure goes on! Cities XL will evolve into a fully single player game.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Sim City (Rip Off) Online  
Jump to: