Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 05:01:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Damn that was fun. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Damn that was fun.  (Read 5975 times)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

on: December 09, 2004, 01:47:22 PM

Had been bashing Redridge gnolls with a group to gather their pendants for a quest, when one of them dropped "a glowing pendant."  I right-click it, and get a quest window where it describes a mage's voice coming from the pendant and asking me to bring it to him.  I do so, he gives me a chunk of XP, and tells me he can use the same mechanism to spy on the gnolls.  So would I be so kind as to take this little magical bug device and hide it on the big statue in front of the gnolls tower?

So I head out there, and naturally there are gnolls all over the damned place.  Furthermore, they range from 0 to 4 levels higher than myself.  Now it's dark, the gnolls are mostly grouped around campfires in the clearing surrounding this tower, with roving sentries walking between the camps.  It's late, and the whole scene really feels like an army camped out for the night.

I suppose I could have jumped into general chat and started screaming for a group at this point, but... meh.  Maybe I can sneak in and do this myself.  Well the baddies are packed very densely, and while I'm approaching from the northwest, it looks like coming up from due south would be better.  So I turn back and follow the river, creep past a waterfall, jump into the water, and come ashore to the south of the tower, much closer than I was before.

So now I start moving forward, sticking to the hills and trees where no roving gnolls will find me.  Sure they're all using the familiar none-too-bright aggro system, but when there's a ton of them and even one of them would make for a tough fight, you step carefully.  Finally I sight the statue on which I'm supposed to plant my bug, but sure enough, there's a gnoll 3 or 4 levels above me standing right in the way.  Maybe I could move around and come up on the statue from the other side, but who knows how long that'll take?  Goddamn it.

Now for a group this would just be Generic Foozle #418 to kill, but for me it's effectively the "boss" of the quest.  So levels be damned, I jump on him.  I've heard paladins are supposed to be overpowered, and maybe my being competitve here is proof of that, but I needed every one of my invulnerability spells and heals in order to hang in there.  After a very long fight. I finally outlast the fucker and put him down.  I then scamper down to the statue, place my bug, run off into the hills, and use my hearthstone to get back to town.

Whew, did it by myself and only killed one monster along the way.  I shoulda been a rogue.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 01:52:45 PM

I remember that quest, it was a fun one.

We held an event for our guild on Proudmore yesterday as a Naked Elf Marathon. We basically ran a bunch of no item lvl 1 Elf Alts from Mithril Bay to Goldshire using the tram in Ironforge. The response was pretty hilarious. The winner ended up getting a bunch of armor packs and we had a dancing party in the Goldshire Inn. Good times.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 02:19:41 PM

Instead of playing WoW last night, I had sex with 3 women. At the same time.

But it sounds like you all had fun too. Cheers.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 02:24:14 PM

Save the roleplaying for the game!

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 02:25:35 PM

Quote from: schild

Like real women, or Eddie Murphy "women"?

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 02:29:53 PM

I'm thinking something inflated... but with "lifelike oral action".

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 02:33:29 PM

Inflation is so '90's. Think injection molding.

Pineapple
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 02:58:13 PM

And then you woke up! :)
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 03:08:02 PM

Too bad they all looked like a cross between Margaret Thatcher and Roseanne Barr... ;)

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 09, 2004, 03:09:48 PM

Sounds like a fun bunch, Paelos. What's the name of your guild?

Schild, if you're going to keep my sisters out so late, please call next time.

Um, never mind.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #10 on: December 09, 2004, 03:50:56 PM

http://realdoll.com/

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #11 on: December 09, 2004, 06:26:45 PM

It's amazing what gets locked and what doesn't around here.

Shame on you Schild.
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: December 09, 2004, 06:51:56 PM

You're right. All the bad jokes in this thread that followed my post should have gotten this thread locked. Oh well, too late.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #13 on: December 09, 2004, 09:26:37 PM

Reminds me of something George Carlin said:

"I never had a ten...But one night, I had five twos!"
Jamiko
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 10, 2004, 08:00:53 AM

I've done a few quests like that as a Rogue. Instead of fighting my way in, I stealth in to the "boss" or goal, whatever it may be. Often I only have to kill one creature, sometimes I don't kill any.

It gets my heart beating regardless.
personman
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 10, 2004, 08:37:22 AM

To me getting in with the minimum of fuss is the fun. :-)  And my main's a druid.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #16 on: December 10, 2004, 09:24:54 AM

Quote from: Ardent
Sounds like a fun bunch, Paelos. What's the name of your guild?

Schild, if you're going to keep my sisters out so late, please call next time.

They are called Savage Truth, its a west coast guild from the days of Baja in UO. I was never involved back then, and I ran into them in DAOC on Hib/Lance.

trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 10, 2004, 10:05:28 AM

Hey cool, I remember Savage Truth.  I played in alb/lance as a friar, but I eventually deleted due to the disgusting population imblanace, then got to level 37 in hib as a valewalker, then quit from pure boredom.

I'm trying to remember some of your members, I think I knew a few of them pretty well.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Damn that was fun.  
Jump to: