Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 12:23:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Gog.com 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gog.com  (Read 225010 times)
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #140 on: September 08, 2011, 09:53:29 AM

I liked Windows 8 after the jump patch

why so serious?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #141 on: September 08, 2011, 01:59:38 PM

I never played 7/7.5 so I'm definitely hoping for that.

I am already  awesome, for real about getting to replay 5/6.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: September 08, 2011, 03:08:49 PM

Which Ultima had Sherry the Mouse and the Gargoyle Realm?  6?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: September 08, 2011, 03:12:12 PM

6. That was the one where they made the transition from the map->zoom in when you go to town->zoom in more in battle interface to the 'everyone is on the screen all the time' no map/town transitions, etc. V is the last 'classic' one interface-wise, VI necessarily suffers a little as it was a big change, and it incidentally also makes the game feel a little more dated, IMO.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: September 08, 2011, 03:17:29 PM

It's the only Ultima I ever played.  A mouse wielding a halberd tickled my fancy though.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #145 on: September 09, 2011, 06:50:06 AM

I'm not sure if it has been noticed yet, but since we're talking all things ultima:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/ultima_underworld_1_2

(I'm sad to say I never played ultima underworld, I was stuck on EGA back when it was hot shit. Ohhhhh, I see.)

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: September 09, 2011, 12:07:46 PM

I actually didn't really care for UU, personally. I know it's important technically or whatever but it never clicked for me as actually fun.

WayAbvPar

Reply #147 on: September 09, 2011, 12:13:16 PM

I have played around with the browser version of U4...might just give GOG's version a run. It is a fun trip down memory lane.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #148 on: September 09, 2011, 06:24:56 PM

I actually didn't really care for UU, personally. I know it's important technically or whatever but it never clicked for me as actually fun.

I missed it when it came out, but I watched someone else play it for a bit.  Seems a tad like Arx Fatalis, and I haven't even finished that one.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #149 on: September 12, 2011, 01:28:56 AM

I missed it when it came out, but I watched someone else play it for a bit.  Seems a tad like Arx Fatalis, and I haven't even finished that one.

It is arx fatalis, even the designers admitted that Arx Fatalis is a spiritual successor to Ultima Underworld.
I hated the first UU as a kid, but the second one was much improved. It's worth a look for someone curious about the game. But a modern iteration is probably Arx Fatalis or Might & Magic: Dark Messiah

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: September 12, 2011, 01:21:46 PM

6. That was the one where they made the transition from the map->zoom in when you go to town->zoom in more in battle interface to the 'everyone is on the screen all the time' no map/town transitions, etc. V is the last 'classic' one interface-wise, VI necessarily suffers a little as it was a big change, and it incidentally also makes the game feel a little more dated, IMO.

Your opinions are objectively wrong. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

You haven't lived until you've crashed the gargoyle party at the shrine of compassion with a cannon.  Or resurrected a corpse with a lit powder keg stuffed into it just to see the results (note: hilarious).  Or used flasks of oil to wall off, funnel, or entrap enemies.

The ridiculously small view window is the only thing that makes the game feel really dated, and that's because they spent so much screen real estate duplicating the status window, combat log, and command list that existed in previous games.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: September 12, 2011, 01:30:16 PM

The pixels the size of a baby's fist also make it feel dated, imo. The graphics in V are not 'better' but they're much cleaner so it holds up better now.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #152 on: September 12, 2011, 06:50:38 PM

One thing I loved about 7 and 7.5 was the paperdoll and having your gear show up on it. So awesome for the time. I forget the first game I played where your actual avatard in the game reflected your current gear, but I do remember those paperdolls from Ultima.

Full disclosure: never played 6. Came out during my luddite period, when I only had my C64 on the road and was playing U5.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: September 12, 2011, 08:58:58 PM

The pixels the size of a baby's fist also make it feel dated, imo. The graphics in V are not 'better' but they're much cleaner so it holds up better now.

Counterpoint: limited colour palette with little or no use of transparency.

One thing I loved about 7 and 7.5 was the paperdoll and having your gear show up on it. So awesome for the time. I forget the first game I played where your actual avatard in the game reflected your current gear, but I do remember those paperdolls from Ultima.

Weapons in U7 appeared in your hands, all major pieces of gear in Serpent's Isle appeared on your in-game avatar.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 09:18:34 PM by Sheepherder »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #154 on: September 12, 2011, 09:14:07 PM

That must be it, then. I had a real thing for Serpent's Isle. I was still smoking a ton of pot back then, hah.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: September 12, 2011, 09:20:37 PM

I played through Black Gate and Serpent's Isle not too long ago in Exult, but even in DOSBox they have aged well.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #156 on: September 13, 2011, 09:22:16 AM

Wing Commander III: The Heart of the Tiger is now on GOG ($5.99 is a fantastic bargain, they could easily sell it for 9.99):

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/wing_commander_3_heart_of_the_tiger

Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

I still have the original UK limited (the "movie reel" one) edition, with the T-shirt, soundtrack, extra bonus CD and VHS tape. Greatest collector's edtion of all time, for one of the greatest games of all time :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 09:23:49 AM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: September 13, 2011, 10:52:36 AM

Counterpoint: limited colour palette with little or no use of transparency.

How about a complete sentence, so I can tell what the hell you're talking about?

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: September 13, 2011, 11:35:17 AM

Well, given that the topic is U5, U6, and graphics, and "counterpoint" followed by a negative would indicate that I am making a point against your position, it follows that I am saying that U5's sprites look like shit because of the 16/64 colour palette and the lack of bit masking / transparency.

Like so.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: September 13, 2011, 11:43:32 AM

Which, IMO, still looks better than VI does to me now. But, you know, Nethack looks better than VI does to me now too.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #160 on: September 22, 2011, 12:49:37 PM

D&D stuff on sale through the 26th.  For $34.31 you can get both Baldur's Gates, both Icewind Dales, Planescape: Torment, Neverwinter Nights Diamond, Temple of Elemental Evil, Dragonshard, and Demonstone.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #161 on: September 22, 2011, 11:50:39 PM

Got them all.  awesome, for real

FUCK YES! YESSSS YESSSSS! SHARE IT IN YOUR FESSBOOK! NAO!

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: September 23, 2011, 01:31:39 AM

If only they would get all the old SSI D&D games. 

And Bard's Tale I, II, and III.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: September 23, 2011, 04:42:28 AM

Yep, especially the *whole* SSI collection, not just Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance, but also Buck Rogers, Dark Sun and Ravenloft  Heart

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: September 26, 2011, 03:58:17 AM

Yep, especially the *whole* SSI collection, not just Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance, but also Buck Rogers, Dark Sun and Ravenloft  Heart

I've got the old SSI Gold Box games somewhere on a Wizardworks collection CD. I remember the first game would not work at all (WW fucked up something about it, can't remember what - ended up having to pirate it just to see what it was like). Never played the Buck Rogers games but loved Dark Sun and Ravenloft (especially Ravenloft). Some Eye of the Beholder love would not be turned away either.

And yes, I snagged the deal too. I've been waiting for this to eventually come around. I think I've bought NWN three times now. Once as the original, once as the Platinum version and now the Diamond version.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #165 on: September 26, 2011, 01:01:32 PM

I've got the old SSI Gold Box games somewhere on a Wizardworks collection CD. I remember the first game would not work at all (WW fucked up something about it, can't remember what - ended up having to pirate it just to see what it was like). Never played the Buck Rogers games but loved Dark Sun and Ravenloft (especially Ravenloft). Some Eye of the Beholder love would not be turned away either.

And yes, I snagged the deal too. I've been waiting for this to eventually come around. I think I've bought NWN three times now. Once as the original, once as the Platinum version and now the Diamond version.

I had to pick up 3 different collections to get most of the SSI D&D stuff, and even then there are gaps in the things that were collected on CD-ROM.  The Masterpiece Collection had the Dark Sun and Ravenloft stuff, along with the Al-Qadim game Genie's Curse.  It also has Menzoberranzan, which overlaps which is also in the Forgotten Realms Archive, which contains the Pool of Radiance series (including Hillsfar), the Savage Frontier series, the Eye of the Beholder games, and Dungeon Hack.  The Wizard Works 9 game collector's edition has the previously mentioned Gold Box games contained in the FR Archive, plus the Dragonlance Gold Box stuff.  Absent from any CD-ROM collection as far as I know is the Heroes of the Lance series, DragonStrike, and Spelljammer.  Unlimited Adventures, Fantasy Empires and Stronghold were available as part of the AD&D Ultimate Fantasy Pack.

The last time any of the D&D SSI stuff was collected was back in 2001 by Interplay so I assume they still have the rights.  I'm not sure if they'd be allowed to put any of this stuff up on GOG though since Atari currently has the D&D rights for games.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: September 26, 2011, 01:02:53 PM

Missing out on Heroes of the Lance could be counted as a blessing.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #167 on: September 26, 2011, 01:10:24 PM

Sadly, I actually played it (or tried anyway) back when it came out on the NES.  But yeah, not everything that came out of the SSI era was a great (or even a good game).  Gamespot did a good rundown many years back.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: September 26, 2011, 02:16:41 PM

Sadly, I actually played it (or tried anyway) back when it came out on the NES.  But yeah, not everything that came out of the SSI era was a great (or even a good game).  Gamespot did a good rundown many years back.

Yep, games like Hillsfar and Heroes of the Lance made us grew into the adults we are now.

ACK!

Still, if you played games like "Wizard Warz" and "The Golden Path" (I'll leave you the pleasure to look for them :P) and and you are still here to narrate the tale...Much respect to you (sorry for this slight derail)  :)

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: September 26, 2011, 07:32:10 PM

I remember liking Hillsfar as a kid, but looking back I can't remember why.  It was pretty repetitive and dull now that I look back at it.  Gotta love nostalgia!
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: September 26, 2011, 10:43:47 PM

I found it repetitive back then too, but I always attributed it to the fact that I wanted that 2hp bonus and played it with my whole Pool of Radiance party (only to realize I could have lived without my two fighters doing it because I had to roll up a Paladin and a Ranger in Curse of the Azure Bonds instead. The memories, they still hurt)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #171 on: September 26, 2011, 11:00:03 PM

I could forgive Hillsfar it's faults because it least it was short.  As a game in and of itself I probably would have felt bad if I had bought it by itself for full price.  When picked up as part of a collection though, it acts an ok diversion in-between Pool and Curse.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: September 27, 2011, 09:23:31 AM

Any bets as to when they hit the 6 mil mark? I'm thinking tonight sometime maybe early tomorrow. There's probably going to be a massive hit as everyone will be trying to be the magic download that gets all the things for free.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: September 27, 2011, 02:20:17 PM

As a wild guess, I'd say a day and a half or so.  It was at 5.93m yesterday, 5.85-ish on the weekend.  Which itself is pretty intense, seeing them blow through something like 100,000 downloads in 48 hours.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #174 on: September 27, 2011, 04:43:15 PM

Technically, is it counting purchases or downloads? I have some games purchased that I have yet to download...

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Gog.com  
Jump to: