Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:38:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2240143 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9170 on: July 11, 2014, 07:36:49 AM

You made him beautiful.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #9171 on: July 11, 2014, 05:24:22 PM

Working on a Witcher 2 playthrough with all the latest patches and a few mods. I think I've found a pretty promising combat mod and I'll probably install that soon. If it works as advertised it could make a huge difference. I still like 1 better than 2 so far though.

I downloaded and beat Sunrider, a free Steam tactical strategy VN that Falc linked in the steam thread. The game was pretty fun, didn't take long to play through. It needs some work but I'm proud of the guys who put it together who are probably hs/college students, its got a solid foundation of good ideas and was far from the worst writing ever for an amateur effort with that much dialogue. I definitely had dreams of making my own video game for a couple of hours after I finished it.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #9172 on: July 11, 2014, 05:38:15 PM

There was a Kickstarter for Sunrider - I had my eye on it, but at the time no money to spare.

The fund drive ended January 5, which means they got it done and out the door in just over six months. A very rapid turn-around, compared to all the projects I've actually backed.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #9173 on: July 11, 2014, 06:41:43 PM

It's lovely that a game that was supposed to be distributed for free, and was asking 3k, ended up raising 44k dollars.

Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #9174 on: July 12, 2014, 07:19:24 PM

When I went to Steam to read a synopsis of Sunrider, I saw that the protagonist is Captain Shields.  My first thought was, "Hey, Marauder Shields got his own ship!"

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #9175 on: July 12, 2014, 08:06:17 PM

Sunless Sea is pretty neat.  Think of it as a 2D steampunk/lite-horror version of Freelancer with more RPG stuff, and you're most of the way there.  Try the F2P web-game Fallen London to get an idea of the milieu.  (Warning:  Early Access game)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 08:09:14 PM by MisterNoisy »

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
schild
Administrator

Reply #9176 on: July 12, 2014, 08:21:47 PM

I look at Sunless Sea every time I open Steam.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #9177 on: July 13, 2014, 01:04:21 AM

I downloaded Sunrider after reading about it in this thread.  I am not really into the anime thing at all, but this is a fairly well done game for what it is.  I played it for an hour or two, and may actually play it again.  Not bad for being totally free.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #9178 on: July 14, 2014, 02:24:28 AM

I've been playing a lot of Super Metroid on the virtual console. I never owned the game when I first had a SNES and I somehow never played it. After finishing up Guacamelee for the second time I decided to give it a try.

Game holds up exceptionally well. The controls though are not that great, actually
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #9179 on: July 14, 2014, 03:07:24 PM

The last half of Bravely Default is hugely annoying, and I'm not sure I can bring myself to go for the good ending.  Is there any benefit to actually beating the multiple boss encounters or are they truly optional?  I suppose I could just blitz down the remaining crystals, because I've already got max exp and mostly max job levels.

Anyone have a solid recommendation for another good RPG on the 3DS? Hopefully one with a more even experience.  

Playing mostly Divinity: Original Sin and Marvel Heroes.  I have conflicting impressions of the former.   I think a pro/con list for this game would be about equal in length but it's still an overall enjoyable experience.  Totally not worthy of the internet rim-jobbing it's getting, but I guess people were really jonesing for Baldur's Eurowank 3: An Adventure in Bad Quest Flow.

Marvel Heroes is fun.  It's rare that I actually spend money on a FTP title.  

-Rasix
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #9180 on: July 14, 2014, 03:08:54 PM

The later optional boss encounters are there for the extra story (character details) and items to steal (though eventually they stop having things to steal if you steal every time).
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #9181 on: July 14, 2014, 03:11:08 PM

Did all of them through chapter 6.  I'm just running out of motivation in 7.   Game feels like it should have ended after chapter 6.

-Rasix
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #9182 on: July 14, 2014, 03:15:46 PM

Yeah, I stopped playing before getting to the good ending (I did do the "bad" ending earlier just to see what it was like), though I will get to it eventually, maybe.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #9183 on: July 14, 2014, 03:18:53 PM

I didn't get to the ending, either.  I'm still saying I beat it, though.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #9184 on: July 14, 2014, 03:33:27 PM

The last half of Bravely Default is hugely annoying, and I'm not sure I can bring myself to go for the good ending.  Is there any benefit to actually beating the multiple boss encounters or are they truly optional?  I suppose I could just blitz down the remaining crystals, because I've already got max exp and mostly max job levels.

Anyone have a solid recommendation for another good RPG on the 3DS? Hopefully one with a more even experience.  

Playing mostly Divinity: Original Sin and Marvel Heroes.  I have conflicting impressions of the former.   I think a pro/con list for this game would be about equal in length but it's still an overall enjoyable experience.  Totally not worthy of the internet rim-jobbing it's getting, but I guess people were really jonesing for Baldur's Eurowank 3: An Adventure in Bad Quest Flow.

It's not really a JRPG but have you played Fire Emblem: Awakening?

I've started Divinity since kild tossed me his extra Kickstarter copy and it's... OK. I need a mod to speed up how fast my dudes move really badly, though.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #9185 on: July 14, 2014, 05:58:03 PM

Yeah combat and move spd needs work. Otherwise mch more fun than TOEE

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #9186 on: July 14, 2014, 06:27:15 PM

I've been playing Rune Factory 4 on the 3ds lately. There is a ton of content, the combat can be quite challenging if you set the difficulty to hard, and Im a sucker for farming in both senses of the word. I feel like this is the one where the finally got it right. No annoying load times, no bizzare runey balancing thing, RP (energy) usage actually tuned well, lots of interesting optional stuff to discover. If you ever had an interest in the series, this is the one to play.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #9187 on: July 14, 2014, 07:00:28 PM

I'm preparing to play BattleBlock Theater on the next xbox freebie day.  Please tell me how wonderful it is. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #9188 on: July 15, 2014, 05:27:15 AM

Rasix if you haven't played it yet, Shin Megami Tensei IV is the best RPG on the 3DS hands down.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #9189 on: July 15, 2014, 06:13:35 AM

No for dirty Europeans it isn't
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #9190 on: July 15, 2014, 06:14:53 AM

I've downloaded FTL for my iPad and I'm now hopelessly addicted. I haven't won a single game so far - even on easy - but it's very fun.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #9191 on: July 15, 2014, 07:14:16 AM

I've been playing Rune Factory 4 on the 3ds lately. There is a ton of content, the combat can be quite challenging if you set the difficulty to hard, and Im a sucker for farming in both senses of the word. I feel like this is the one where the finally got it right. No annoying load times, no bizzare runey balancing thing, RP (energy) usage actually tuned well, lots of interesting optional stuff to discover. If you ever had an interest in the series, this is the one to play.

Thanks for this, I'd written off the series due to Runey bullshit.

I'm preparing to play BattleBlock Theater on the next xbox freebie day.  Please tell me how wonderful it is. 

Play it with a friend.  I have never played it solo, not sure if it holds up, but it is GREAT in an AWFUL way.

Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light exists, but I haven't gotten very far in it.  It's a more FFish feel than Bravely Default with jobs and shit.  I can't say if it's good or not.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9192 on: July 15, 2014, 07:24:38 AM

I started to play Divinity and I liked it but I think I'm finally getting fed up with rpg. I dunno, just seems like too much to deal with, learning new systems and listening to story. On the other hand, I'm dying to play the new GTA and enjoy the story bits in those, so hmm.

So. Minecraft.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #9193 on: July 15, 2014, 07:47:56 AM

Lots of Divinity and as always some DotA.  It might just be because I haven't played an RPG for a while but I've really, really been enjoying Divinity.  I probably spent an hour last night just sorting inventories and selling stuff, doing crafts, pretty much everything but actually playing the story or fighting.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #9194 on: July 17, 2014, 03:56:17 AM

Things I have been playing since I injured my back and went on sick leave four weeks ago:

Stick of Truth - Played through the whole thing.  Really like this game, hope they do a sequel.  I have also watched about 15 seasons worth of SP over the last 4 weeks, and it has possibly damaged my brain.
State of Decay - played a bit of the new expansion, but then went back and started a new run on the original campaign.  Kinda petered out...guess I am through with this one for a while.
Fallout 3 - played through the entirety of the original campaign.  Can't really bother with the expansions.
Bought Galactic Civ 2 to see what the fuss is about.  This game is not for me.  So I went back and started a new campaign in Civ 5 and have conquered all of Africa and the Middle East so far.
FTL - have somehow dumped 35 hours into this game.  This is dollar for dollar one of the best games I have ever played.
Divinity OS - have played 6 hours or so.  I am not sure if this is the game for me.  It really hasn't grabbed me yet.  Also, I may be too stupid or impatient to play this kind of RPG.

And now, I have a huge nostalgic boner and have just bought Wing Commander 3 and 4 for PC.  I fucking loved 3 back on my old 3DO, and I never played 4.  I'll report back and let you all know if it was a big mistake.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #9195 on: July 17, 2014, 11:49:58 PM

So.  Steam Sale.  Skyrim.  Yeah.  Got the Legendary edition, anyone got any suggestions on any "must have" mods to download?

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #9196 on: July 18, 2014, 07:48:22 AM

Rasix if you haven't played it yet, Shin Megami Tensei IV is the best RPG on the 3DS hands down.

I'd second this.  It's one of the few games I've actually finished.
schild
Administrator

Reply #9197 on: July 18, 2014, 07:59:16 AM

I'd second this.  It's one of the few games I've actually finished.
I'll third this. But I stopped 10 hours in but played 30 hours of Bravely Default. SMTIV is still better.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #9198 on: July 18, 2014, 03:44:39 PM

I took a break from SMTIV but that's just what I do.  It's fantastic.  I do love me some SMT, no matter how I get it.

Still haven't finished Nocturne. Ohhhhh, I see.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #9199 on: July 20, 2014, 08:49:49 AM

Play it with a friend.  I have never played it solo, not sure if it holds up, but it is GREAT in an AWFUL way.

I played it solo and thought it was pretty fun, but it definitely feels like it was designed to be played with friends.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #9200 on: July 20, 2014, 05:26:46 PM

Sooo...I sort of enjoyed AC2 and the first expansion after hating AC1. I skipped AC3 after hearing a lot about it that I didn't like.

AC4 was discounted during the Steam sale, I decided to get it. I like pirates.

I very nearly deleted the game after the first Abstergo thing. That's it. Unless I hear that this series has completely dropped the utterly dumb conceit that it's about Templars and Assassins in the present logging into the past, etc., I am just fucking done with it. I'm not playing a game that essentially: a) makes fun of me for wanting to play it and b) deliberately locks me into five minutes of boredom in order to make fun of me. Fine, metatext or what the fuck ever, but seriously, fuck off.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #9201 on: July 20, 2014, 06:42:10 PM

I'm trying to burn through some of the stuff I grabbed during the summer sale.

Finished Saint's Row 4.  Like 90% of it was me going "Hmm, I liked this a bit better in SR3" and about 10% of it was "Okay, stop the world, we're done, we're never topping that.  That was the greatest thing ever."

Also finished the new Thief, ugh.  I don't think it's the worst game evar, but the map design is fucking atrocious.  Short, linear, ugly, confusing, boring maps that do not work well with the core control mechanics, just yuck.  There's some neat ideas in there I'd love to explore if they could get someone competent doing the environment (like the side missions, which were mostly not too bad).  Was trying to ghost it but I gave up in what turned out to be the last room of the game and KOed two guards, now I feel dirty.

From the GoG sale, I remembered I have the entire Geneforge series, which I hadn't touched until now and didn't know anything about.  Turns out it's like Baldur's Gate, except instead of having a party of trusted allies, you summon and modify a team of monsters to help you.  Seems OK so far, but for such a weird setting (where people don't use tools so much as engineer monsters for a specific task) it's got some awfully generic looking assets.

Also grabbed Shantae: Risky's Revenge, which is surprisingly fun.  It's a bit heavy on the cheesecake fan service, but it's just such a light hearted, happy little game I can't really not have fun while I'm playing it.

Wizgar
Terracotta Army

Reply #9202 on: July 22, 2014, 03:25:15 AM

So I was showing Fable 1 to the wife the other day because she'd never played it and I figured (correctly) that she would like it. I load up some old save where I've already won the game, and I start walking around the Hero Guild when suddenly I hear one of the female NPCs say something in NOT the same cockney accent they all have. I investigate this, emote to the NPC a few times, and I realize that I recognize the voice.

It's Lady Grey. She's dressed like a hooded apprentice, but it's her voice. I even flirt her up, lead her to a town where I have a house, and marry her. Sure enough she says all the same wife quotes too. I drove Lady Grey out of the country during the appropriate quest when I played, so what, did she put on a hood and sneak back?

I can find no reference to this. Did I just stumble over an unknown easter egg in a hundred year old game?
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #9203 on: July 24, 2014, 06:58:22 PM

Finally started up Senran Kagura Burst for 3DS. It's a fanservice-tastic sidescroller/beat-em-up with dress up and boob physics. I am in love.

Also futzing around with EQ2 a bit on the weekends with a buddy; my server's got a pretty good PUG community so even as a pair of DPS we're finding raid spots. Gearing out at 95 was ridiculously easy; literally a single day to go from fresh-95 to raid capable. Not sure if I'll stick around for very long, but they've got an expansion on the way so that could help things.

Did my first draft in Hex in a few weeks; lost in a really close game in round 2.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #9204 on: July 25, 2014, 03:34:48 AM

Divine Divinity is stealing my soul, even though I get the urge to restart every time I play in order to maximize.

Bad habit, that.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: