Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 03:40:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE.  (Read 303217 times)
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #385 on: October 05, 2014, 03:50:20 PM

To be fair, the Thin Man movies are boring.  Although it's fascinating to see all of those barely functioning alcoholics stumble through the cigarette haze of their lives.

I didn't particularly care for Abrams reimagining of Star Trek, and I'm not sure either movie was really that good, even taking them as "as inspired by" rather than something that should be viewed as actually Star Trek.

I also loved the original Star Wars movies as a kid.  We, as a family, saw A New Hope twice in the theaters, something that never happened before or after that.  The new Star Wars movies, I didn't like as much, but they weren't for me, and I can live with that.  What that means, unfortunately, is that I'll be an even further remove from the next set of movies, unless Abrams dumps the concept of the movies being for kids, and tries to make them appeal to the audience that grew up on the sequels.

I'll probably see the first one, unless I hear it's not a good movie.  Whether I see any of the others will depend on how I like the first.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #386 on: October 05, 2014, 08:38:11 PM

And before anyone starts on the "kids have no taste" train, we weren't any better. Let's face it old men like us only watched Leave it to Beaver, Lassie, etc because it was the only option, not because we enjoyed them.  GI Joe was as terrible as the Prequels, in a lot of ways worse, and we ate that shit up as prepubescents.

I'll have you know I watched Dobie Gillis religiously as a kid - that was some good shit. Just because it's old doesn't mean kids automatically hate it. Same goes for the Wizard of Oz - that movie was ancient when I was a kid, and it was "must watch TV" when it came on in my household.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #387 on: October 06, 2014, 11:23:20 AM

I still don't buy the BS that the prequels were for kids. That sounds like a 'oh it's still in beta' excuse to me. George Lucas just makes crap films now (holy mother of god try watching 'Red Tails' some time). It happens. If SW VII has a good story, humour and a good John Williams score it will fucking rock for kids and adults.

Star Wars Rebels wasn't half bad, and when the force theme played I did get goosebumps. I'm such a sucker.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 11:28:58 AM by Shannow »

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #388 on: October 06, 2014, 11:31:38 AM

Lucas didn't make the films for Kids as such, he made them to sell as much merch as he possibly could. That's where he thought he would make the money. He knew damn well that the real audience for the prequels was the old star wars fans so making them "for kids" would have been bloody stupid. They only became "for kids" after the fact then he was explaining how his films were commonly regarded as having sucked and made more money for him than the Merch did. All the merch flopped for the most part as no-one cared about whoever that alien was in the messy prequels. And he had to explain with all that how "the Clone wars" was actually a quite successful cartoon series. Nothing in the pre-hype said that they were made for kids but they became that after the fact because the successful and reasonably well regarded part was a cartoon.

I'd be willing to bet money that Lucas had been beaten away from the clone wars with a baseball bat at that point and had little to do with it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 11:35:01 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #389 on: October 06, 2014, 11:46:41 AM

Star Wars Rebels wasn't half bad, and when the force theme played I did get goosebumps. I'm such a sucker.

Styling it like A New Hope with the wipes was a nice touch, but I didn't like it as much as The Clone Wars.  It's obviously aimed at an even younger audience.  Energy slingshot? Really?  awesome, for real  It's still better than the prequels, though!

Over and out.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #390 on: October 06, 2014, 12:20:26 PM

I think a character like Jar Jar is meant as a direct appeal to children, and having one of the heroes (even if by accident) be a child was also a direct appeal to children.

If Lucas meant to tailor the sequel trilogy to adults who loved the original trilogy, I think he missed his mark, at least in my case.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #391 on: October 06, 2014, 12:21:20 PM

... I'd be willing to bet money that Lucas had been beaten away from the clone wars with a baseball bat at that point and had little to do with it.
From the interviews I've read, you'd lose the money.  He had a heavy hand in Clone Wars until the point that Disney took the controls and changed course.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #392 on: October 06, 2014, 12:24:26 PM

Which begs the question... was Anakin & Padme's romance still a better love story than Twilight?

When I think genre titles for adults, I think Star Trek: TNG or other more intellectual explorations. Whiz bang action, while enjoyable, has a certain immaturity to it. Reality is hand-waved over excitement and drama. Yes, true for any entertainment product, but to a larger degree in fantasy genres (A Wizard Did It).

I'm sure there's a Kids to Adult genre scale for fantasy that starts at Adventure Time and goes to Game of Thrones. Star Wars would be closer to the former.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #393 on: October 06, 2014, 12:39:44 PM

I think a character like Jar Jar is meant as a direct appeal to children, and having one of the heroes (even if by accident) be a child was also a direct appeal to children.

If Lucas meant to tailor the sequel trilogy to adults who loved the original trilogy, I think he missed his mark, at least in my case.

A New Hope appealed to kids without pandering to them. It was full of stuff that was cool to kids. Episode 1 was pure pandering (and crappy pandering at that).

Episode 1 vs. Episode 4:
 - main hero is a six year old versus a guy in his late teens
 - key plot around saving an entire race of comic relief aliens from "evilish" comic relief aliens, who are oppressing them with comic relief robots vs. two comic relief support characters in C3PO/R2D2 (who did the same in both movies)
 - Lucas directing everyone to over enunciate like they are doing a radio drama (or talking in a way little kids can follow) vs. not doing that
 - a comic sidekick that was so revoltingly stupid that even kids hated him vs. a cool sidekick who happened to use bits of comedy to make himself cooler

Look, nothing here is new to anyone. The prequels sucked and 99% of that was on Lucas, because he wanted to attract new kid viewers and knew the old viewers would show up no matter how shitty it was. I still saw everyone one of them in the theater, twice in the case of episode one. But I stopped and thought about how many times I've seen each, and it's something like this in order: 3, 2, 2, 20+, 7, 2 (by Jedi he decided he wanted to go after new kids, thus Ewoks)

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #394 on: October 06, 2014, 02:58:17 PM

How many times have you watched

And its gripping sequel

And yes they were real movies by the real George Lucas.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 03:00:17 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #395 on: October 06, 2014, 03:00:23 PM

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #396 on: October 06, 2014, 03:22:38 PM

In *gulp* defense of Lucas, he has said that the intent was to present a series of movies that were a cohesive whole - and that he wanted to start them innocent and make them grow darker.  It explains why he took the approach he did, even if it was a complete failure.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #397 on: October 06, 2014, 03:34:17 PM

So he started off with "kid acts like annoying angry spoilt uncaring Jackass" and ended with "young man acts like annoying angry spoilt uncaring jackass". Frankly, Anikins journey to the Dark Side was about 2 feet, including detours. Lucas's idea of foreshadowing is "Start with character already at the dark side and film him flicking off all the lights and digging darker tunnel"
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 03:36:12 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #398 on: October 06, 2014, 03:37:58 PM

I blame at least half of shitty Annakin on Hayden Christiansen.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #399 on: October 06, 2014, 03:43:56 PM

Lucas was certainly the black hole that drew in everything wrong with the prequel... he was responsible for the casting, the story, the dialogue, the duche, ... Christiansen is his fault.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #400 on: October 06, 2014, 07:47:53 PM

So he started off with "kid acts like annoying angry spoilt uncaring Jackass" and ended with "young man acts like annoying angry spoilt uncaring jackass". Frankly, Anikins journey to the Dark Side was about 2 feet, including detours. Lucas's idea of foreshadowing is "Start with character already at the dark side and film him flicking off all the lights and digging darker tunnel"

Yeah, this one of the real problems too.  It's sort of a character driven trilogy with essentially no character arc.  And instead of an interesting, perhaps subtle insidious turn to the Dark Side where you can sort of empathize with him, instead you get a brat who turns into someone who murders kids.
Ghost_of_Najena
Terracotta Army

Reply #401 on: October 07, 2014, 06:47:52 AM

How many times have you watched

And its gripping sequel

And yes they were real movies by the real George Lucas.

Heh is it bad that I went back and watched both of those the last 2 nights...
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #402 on: October 07, 2014, 08:49:04 AM

Only if you enjoyed them.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #403 on: October 07, 2014, 09:11:56 AM

In all honesty I've never seen them. Are they as bad as the whole concept would scream at you?

Oh god I'm actually contemplating looking for them to watch them now help me help me!  ACK!

Hic sunt dracones.
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #404 on: October 07, 2014, 09:15:25 AM

I enjoyed them immensely when they first came out.  I was ten at the time so I think that warrants forgiveness.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #405 on: October 07, 2014, 09:43:52 AM

Enjoyed the stories, hated the cutesy girl.  Was also 10.

I also remember wondering why the hell the giant guy didn't bother the Empire when they were about.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #406 on: October 07, 2014, 10:40:36 AM

That second one looks like Gandalf vs Angelina Jolie and the Creature from the Black Lagoon.  What's not to like?  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 11:40:46 AM by Nevermore »

Over and out.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #407 on: October 07, 2014, 10:42:25 AM

That's clearly Dumbledore.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #408 on: October 07, 2014, 11:04:59 AM

I don't remember much of the movies other than I saw them, pretty sure I only saw the second one, and that's the only time I've seen that haircut on a child.
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #409 on: October 08, 2014, 03:01:17 PM

If I had any photoshop talent those would both be Shadow of Endor posters.  Ewok extinction level event!
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #410 on: October 08, 2014, 09:13:31 PM

A New Hope appealed to kids without pandering to them. It was full of stuff that was cool to kids. Episode 1 was pure pandering (and crappy pandering at that).

Episode 1 vs. Episode 4:
 - main hero is a six year old versus a guy in his late teens
 - key plot around saving an entire race of comic relief aliens from "evilish" comic relief aliens, who are oppressing them with comic relief robots vs. two comic relief support characters in C3PO/R2D2 (who did the same in both movies)
 - Lucas directing everyone to over enunciate like they are doing a radio drama (or talking in a way little kids can follow) vs. not doing that
 - a comic sidekick that was so revoltingly stupid that even kids hated him vs. a cool sidekick who happened to use bits of comedy to make himself cooler

Look, nothing here is new to anyone. The prequels sucked and 99% of that was on Lucas, because he wanted to attract new kid viewers and knew the old viewers would show up no matter how shitty it was. I still saw everyone one of them in the theater, twice in the case of episode one. But I stopped and thought about how many times I've seen each, and it's something like this in order: 3, 2, 2, 20+, 7, 2 (by Jedi he decided he wanted to go after new kids, thus Ewoks)

I'm 5, 1, 1, 15+, 5, 2.  I don't know why I keep watching Phantom Menace- it seems like it is always on television, and it actually is better than II and III. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #411 on: October 09, 2014, 08:07:26 AM

But how many times have you seen the Christmas Special?

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #412 on: October 09, 2014, 10:43:28 AM

YOU MONSTER!!! *cries*

Hic sunt dracones.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #413 on: October 09, 2014, 12:28:48 PM

I've never seen the Christmas Special.

Episode 1 isn't unwatchable.  I like the first 15 minutes, the last 15 minutes, and the rest is buffer I can more or less ignore while awaiting the climatic duel between the Jedi and Darth Maul.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #414 on: October 09, 2014, 06:01:59 PM

1 is definitely the least shit of the prequels; it lacks Hayden Christiansen which makes it more tolerable. I'm something like 4, 2, 2, 10+, 10+, 10+ for views; don't have an exact count but The Trilogy is always watched to completion.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: October 11, 2014, 07:05:47 AM

Ep 1 had Liam Nealson, who actually tries his damndest to make his character a little bit interesting, priest-like and have a depth greater than 0.02mm.  He was the best thing about the hole thing, which means he probably had Lucas screaming in his ear after every take about what a shit joke of a job he was doing and to ACT LIKE YOU HAVE A PLANK UP YOUR ASS LIKE EVERYONE ELSE DAMMIT!!!

The fight at the end had be giggling a bit in the Theater. I was actually expecting them to start dancing the can can it was so obviously choreographed. And seriously, when Darth Silent walked through the door in front of a bunch of guys with guns I REALLY wanted them to fucking open fire on his ass rather than leave him to the Jedi and find another way around. I mean, I'm sorry, Lightsaber vs 15 guys in close range with blasters = you open fire. It would at least have been cool to see him leaping 10 feet out of the way or something. Oops, sorry, that's too much like Empire Strikes Back and therefore is shit, signed Lucas.

I've never seen the Christmas Special.

Well if you want to sample the Je ne sai que of the Christmas special without actually watching the thing, you can read this minute by minute review of it. It should help you appreciate how much you missed.

http://badfiction.typepad.com/badfiction/2012/12/bad-movie-review-the-star-wars-holiday-special.html

Hic sunt dracones.
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #416 on: October 13, 2014, 05:39:08 AM

The fight at the end had be giggling a bit in the Theater. I was actually expecting them to start dancing the can can it was so obviously choreographed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0qH2IaSjEU&index=5&list=PLINl9l0igYjzIipxsD4Y59_Jjxe4N3pZo

The full videos are, like the Plinkett reviews, better than the actual movies.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #417 on: November 06, 2014, 11:45:56 AM

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #418 on: November 06, 2014, 12:25:17 PM

So the force was asleep the last 3 movies??

(Sorry, your math is off. THERE WERE ONLY 3 MOVIES!!)

Hic sunt dracones.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #419 on: November 06, 2014, 12:29:49 PM

So the force was asleep the last 3 movies??

Well, the director was certainly asleep the last 3 released prequel movies, so why not?

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 44 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE.  
Jump to: