Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:07:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 595884 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1645 on: February 17, 2015, 08:23:53 AM

Played Homeland last night. It is the half finished piece of nonsense you expect from the IP. A hidden role game where you draw cards which variously help terrorists or the cia, then pile them up on cases and eventually reveal the cards to see if the "team" stopped each terrorist plot. The core mechanic is ok but basic, and extra fluff such as abilities you can buy rarely have an impact as game is too short. There is an exception if you happen to get the opportunity to buy a card depicting a TV series main character, as they are hugely overpowered and somehow even less fun than the worthless abilities.

Also played a few games of Steampunk Rally, an engine building game about building an engine which was on Kickstarter just before Christmas. Very random but good frothy fun. You draft engine parts which generate/convert/spend three types of fuel in order to move along a track trying to avoid too much damage. The machines you build end up feeling very different and getting parts to combo is nice - but there is nothing strategic or especially deep in the game.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1646 on: February 17, 2015, 09:57:06 AM

On the other hand there's such an insane amount of games coming out today - most of which is crap - that the label is entirely earned.
This is what gets me. Even with video games, I like to pick a few fun games and enjoy them, rather than play a different game every week. So I tend to go for more replayable stuff like Civ or Rocksmith; or longer rpgs like Skyrim or Risen.

Same with board games. I'd rather learn a ruleset for one game and just enjoy that, house rule out the worst of the problems. But I can't hang with the library's gaming night because it's split between BGG cork-sniffers more interested in debating the merits of various rules and mechanics than actually playing the fucking game and raw newbs who eat glue.

Then again I still favor our old house-ruled AD&D 1st ed over any other rpg, so I may be an outlier :)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1647 on: February 17, 2015, 01:25:46 PM

I came to the decision not long ago that anything over 20 games on the shelf was going to be a waste of shelf space.  I just don't have time to play everything I own anymore. 

However, when I tried to pick the 20 games I would keep so I could purge the rest, I found I couldn't bring myself to get rid of more than a few of the 100 or so games I have... and I have bought three more games since then.

We're sick.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1648 on: February 27, 2015, 02:28:29 PM

Anyone have any comments on Cthulhu Wars?  Worth owning?

Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1649 on: March 02, 2015, 07:35:02 PM

Haven't played my copy yet (and probably won't any time soon given the usual gaming tastes of my group), but the components are gorgeous.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1650 on: March 02, 2015, 10:43:20 PM

I'm not a fan of the look, and never that engaged by the theme. But as far as kickstarters go it could be worse?

Edit. What a nothing comment. I must be brain dead today.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 11:15:23 PM by lamaros »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1651 on: March 03, 2015, 12:00:28 AM

Do you like 'roll dice to resolve' and enjoy long games? If so,  sure, why not.

Do you prefer your lovecraft to be lovecraftian and not primary colour mega-monster smack down? Avoid.

Do want to paint miniatures? If so, much more definitely yes.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1652 on: March 03, 2015, 01:54:03 PM

The figures would certainly be a plus, but as I have ~1000 unpainted figures right now and paint slowly (and have spent a grand total of 8 hours painting over the last 3 years...) I'm primarily focused on the quality of the game.  It sounds like MOnsters Menace America levels of dice without any of the true Lovecraft/Cthulhu feel.  I'm glad I passed.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1653 on: March 03, 2015, 03:35:20 PM

I'm actually getting a bit tired of some minis being locked behind board games. I really love some of the Blood Rage minis but I'm not buying another damned board game just to get them (in plastic, no less). At least for the gnashing of teeth about Sedition Wars and the horrible restic, I have resin versions of most of the models (though I had to win a painting contest to get a few unreleased ones...).

Though I did buy Imperial Assault because there is a serious lack of SW minis out there.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1654 on: March 03, 2015, 04:57:42 PM

Though I did buy Imperial Assault because there is a serious lack of SW minis out there.
I bought a large number of Star Wars minis pretty cheap for use in other RPGs (primarily D&D and future setting games).  I think you can still get pretty large collections of Star Wars minis on Ebay for not too unreasonable of a price... (closed auction for example purposes)  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-170-Star-Wars-Miniatures-Plus-Album-of-Cards-/121579793430?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4eb86c16

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1655 on: March 03, 2015, 07:25:40 PM

I meant real minis, not that the FFG plastic is any display standard, though Aaron painted them up pretty nicely...

I do have a couple 25mm old SW minis I got in a trade, though the bastard kept the Vader to paint himself, dammit. He threw in a big, maybe 75mm Kenobi in recompense (didn't make me feel better).
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1656 on: March 04, 2015, 09:32:17 AM

Fair enough.  Thanks for pointing out Blood Rage - I'd overlooked it.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1657 on: March 04, 2015, 02:27:12 PM

I'm a sneaky enabler  why so serious?
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1658 on: March 04, 2015, 08:44:39 PM

The urge to paint?  It's growing.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1659 on: March 05, 2015, 08:40:51 AM

I have three minis going into the 2014 CMoN Annual  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1660 on: April 06, 2015, 07:04:40 PM

Barnes and Noble is running their clearance at the moment.

I went in for half price Agricola All Creatures Big and Small and left w/ that + Eldritch Horror + Descent 2.0 for <$90.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1661 on: April 06, 2015, 07:08:32 PM

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1662 on: April 06, 2015, 07:38:53 PM

Finally played TTR: Europe. We all liked America better.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #1663 on: April 06, 2015, 08:11:20 PM

America is better.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1664 on: April 08, 2015, 08:57:20 AM

Personally, prefer Switzerland and India.

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1665 on: April 08, 2015, 01:52:24 PM

You guys are crazy, Europe is better than America

Why don't you try our other games?
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #1666 on: April 10, 2015, 01:55:25 AM

You guys are crazy, Europe is better than America
We're talking about TTR, right?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1667 on: April 12, 2015, 06:52:28 PM

By chance I watched 15mins of a 90 mins warhammer 40k minis tabletop battle last night on youtube.  First time I've ever really seen minis at play, excluding xwing games.  It seems really awkward and convoluted to play.  For example, one guy had a large squad of orcs and he dropped 30 d6's for their attack.  Is this normal?  I guess I'm curious about the appeal -- if it's just the minis or meta or something else.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1668 on: April 12, 2015, 08:27:27 PM

Mini-wargaming is a hobby that's pretty diverse. I know more WHFB than 40k but people get into it for all kinds of reasons. Some like the lore, others the painting and converting of minis, some play for the tactical, competitive aspect. Personally, I like playing the game but I lack the patience to assemble and paint tons of models.

30d6 doesn't seem really excessive for an attack roll; those dice boxes with 36 tiny little d6 mostly exist for Warhammer.

Finally got in a few games of Settlers of Catan; it's pretty fun but the board always feels cramped. Much moreso with 4 people. Are any of the expansions good? I know there's one that lets you play up to 6 people, but the one guy I know who's played it said it wasn't great.

Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #1669 on: April 13, 2015, 01:13:03 AM

Some like the lore, others the painting and converting of minis, some play for the tactical, competitive aspect.

Ohhhhh, I see.

Finally got in a few games of Settlers of Catan; it's pretty fun but the board always feels cramped. Much moreso with 4 people. Are any of the expansions good? I know there's one that lets you play up to 6 people, but the one guy I know who's played it said it wasn't great.

It's supposed to be cramped, the game IMO does not play well unless there is a shortage of resources (and one of those resources is space). While I have not played it, I've heard very good things about Seafarers of Catan.

And if you're like me (highly competitive with a bent towards strategy and mind games) I recommend this variant for Settlers play.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:17:24 AM by Sophismata »

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1670 on: April 13, 2015, 07:56:15 AM

I want to get into mini gaming (because I enjoy collecting and painting the toy soldiers), but the larger scale stuff holds no interest. Smaller skirmish stuff like Infinity is what I'd like to get into. It also seems much cooler with elevation/cover and LoS stuff.
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1671 on: April 13, 2015, 08:35:49 AM

I've been wanting to get into Infinity and/or Warmachine for awhile, but I've had to just accept that I won't have time to until I've graduated.  I've heard lots of good things about both, though.  There's some decent local groups who play them both, apparently, so I have that to look forward to at least.  There's supposedly a decent WH following here as well, but the cost of entry in time and money pretty much means it will never be an option to me. 
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1672 on: April 14, 2015, 03:00:47 PM

Sophismata, why the Ohhhhh, I see.? The tournament scene around here for WHFB and WH40k is pretty active; we have like 3-4 weekend long tourneys a year and one-day events at least once a month. It's the part of the game I personally enjoy the most.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1673 on: April 15, 2015, 03:21:36 AM

A few days ago I purchased the Lord of the Rings LCG (my first LCG); regarding card games, beside some CCGs and Seasons, I really don't have that much experience.

So far, I love it!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS; I'll probably play it solo 90-95% of the time, at least 'til a digital version comes out. I'm pretty intimidated by all the content that has come out (money pit): I've already read some purchase guides and I think  I'll slowly purchase some deluxe expansions along the way, then be more choosy about the adventure packs.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #1674 on: April 16, 2015, 07:24:58 PM

Sophismata, why the Ohhhhh, I see.? The tournament scene around here for WHFB and WH40k is pretty active; we have like 3-4 weekend long tourneys a year and one-day events at least once a month. It's the part of the game I personally enjoy the most.
Oh wow, goes to show how different people are. The WH tournament scene here (or the parts I am exposed to) died after the latest changes to WH40k and WHFB. They were widely regarded as terrible, and there was a mass migration to Warmachine. Warmachine now sees almost all of the tactical miniature and tournament play for me - even the international stuff. I don't play tourneys anymore (work FT as a consultant and the travel and hours don't mix with painting and collecting and playing) but I still have a solid group of friends hat regularly play in local and international tournaments.

In general Warmachine is viewed to be more competitive, and I forgot that obviously that view isn't universal.

tl;dr I was being a smartass and I apologise.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 07:27:37 PM by Sophismata »

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1675 on: May 07, 2015, 09:49:10 AM

On a forum I moderate there is a rule against linking to commerce sites, so one board's loss is another's gain :p

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/star-wars-imperial-assault-bundle?mode=guest_open

Basically a group buy where the price goes down as more people sign up. Bundle is the game + current expansions and extra dice, a pretty nice deal at $125 already (if I didn't have most of it...).
schild
Administrator

Reply #1676 on: May 07, 2015, 12:22:51 PM

On a forum I moderate there is a rule against linking to commerce sites

What a stupid, terrible policy.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1677 on: May 08, 2015, 08:45:13 AM

One of MANY weird policies there. But it's an awesome community, so I put up with it.

Though in defense of the commerce rule, it is a commercial entity and otherwise pretty supportive of competition. Stuff like 'no nudity' when they sell nude models? Yeah, that's a weird one.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1678 on: May 08, 2015, 11:34:31 AM

On a forum I moderate there is a rule against linking to commerce sites, so one board's loss is another's gain :p

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/star-wars-imperial-assault-bundle?mode=guest_open

Basically a group buy where the price goes down as more people sign up. Bundle is the game + current expansions and extra dice, a pretty nice deal at $125 already (if I didn't have most of it...).

Is the game actually any good though or is it just another minis game that is all about random dice rolls and didn't really need minis?  I've played XWing a little and enjoyed it if that is a good comparison at all.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1679 on: May 11, 2015, 10:39:46 AM

No idea, my hermit gaming buddy is hermiting again.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: