Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:26:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Voodoolily's Snacktastic Recipe Thread!! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Voodoolily's Snacktastic Recipe Thread!!  (Read 536713 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1330 on: May 03, 2010, 04:11:28 PM

Compared to, say, frying up a placenta, the idea of baking with human milk doesn't even register a blip on my weird-dar.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1331 on: May 03, 2010, 04:42:10 PM

I don't see why using your own milk is fucked up at all.  It's milk!  And it's from a human!  You would think human milk would be better for humans than  animal milk, no?  It seems there are some very smart people writing about this as a natural way to ward off and even fight some diseases.   Seriously, though, which do you think is more natural... morning coffee with cow's  milk out of a carton or a fresh squirt from a Voodoolily? 

Japan agrees... at least according to the videos I have seen.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1332 on: May 03, 2010, 04:52:09 PM

I think it's fucked up because the vitamin, fat content, etc. are 'designed' specifically for babies while cow's milk is messed about with so much in terms of breeding and modern processing it's probably better for us. Unless you buy into the idea that anything that is processed is worse for you than anything that hasn't been.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1333 on: May 03, 2010, 05:00:01 PM

Not convinced that cow milk is processed into something "for humans".  It's mostly just boiled, separated and reconstituted into a uniform milkfat percentage.  Anyway, I think the main problem would be keeping all those women on the farm.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #1334 on: May 04, 2010, 08:46:33 PM

I keep thinking about how I could find ways to make some cash on this. I projectile-lactate.

My milk is superfatted. I bet if I carried a container of it around with me, it'd turn into butter just from walking. I have been collecting it in the freezer for a future soap making experiment.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1335 on: May 05, 2010, 05:39:39 AM

I keep thinking about how I could find ways to make some cash on this. I projectile-lactate.

I'm not advocating you change careers, but there is indeed money to be made, if you were so inclined.  Since this is getting a bit weird, I'll just leave that there. Ohhhhh, I see.

voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #1336 on: November 23, 2010, 10:38:26 AM

Shit, friends! It's that time of year - the Foodist Olympics! This year I've got three fresh black truffles that are getting shaved into everything. I'm making a savory brioche bread pudding in lieu of stuffing/dressing. And confiting the turkey legs.

Last year I gave birth on Thanksgiving, this year I'm cooking the meal of a lifetime.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #1337 on: November 23, 2010, 10:57:46 AM

Thankfully, I don't have to do any cooking for thanksgiving myself.  I did however make a test batch of chocolate truffles for christmas last weekend.  Found a recipe for a relatively simple chocolate ganache, and learned how to properly temper chocolate.  Now I just need to figure out what else to mix into it to diversify the gift boxes of them some.  I really want to learn how to make fruit centers, either cherry cordial style or else citrus nougat types.  I'm sure the internet can help me with that, if I get less lazy about actually looking.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1338 on: November 23, 2010, 11:48:37 AM

Truffles: the french whores of the food world.

I'm not cooking this year, going with the fiancee and her mother for their yearly outing at a restaurant.

(snip rant about being broke and bleak outlook for the future...lots of people worse off than we are)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1339 on: November 23, 2010, 11:57:11 AM

I am making a from scratch version of green bean casserole

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1340 on: November 23, 2010, 01:59:19 PM

I did not post anything because I'm staying in the box this year: squash casserole and sweet-potato/pumpkin pie again.  Assuming I have time to make the pies, that is.  I'm not really looking forward to rolling out those crusts this week.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1341 on: November 23, 2010, 01:59:58 PM

OK, since this thread has resurfaced - I have a potluck coming up in a few weeks and I'm looking for new Slow Cooker ideas. It's an older, meat and potatoes type crowd (curling league). I also have one coming up at work for Christmas - though that one will require a no nuts and no pork rule - which rules out my two favorite recipes.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1342 on: November 23, 2010, 02:02:29 PM

I wasn't aware there were slow-cooker recipes other than "throw some shit in and cook for six hours".

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1343 on: November 23, 2010, 02:04:14 PM

VDL's awesome pulled pork rub taught me otherwise.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1344 on: November 23, 2010, 03:57:35 PM

While I haven't tried it myself this beef rub comes from a site I've used for other BBQ stuff (sauces, recipes and rubs) that have always been pretty good. I don't do that stuff often enough to go much into customisation but I'd guess if you know your tastes with this sort of stuff it would at the very least be a good jumping off point. Suggested mostly because one of the first things I think of with slow cookers are big, tough joints of meat and once pork's gone your left with brisket. For something not BBQey maybe a cassoulet? I've got Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's recipe for it round here somewhere, pretty much beans with meat slowcooked into deliciousness. It's a traditional dish so there'll certainly be plenty of versions on-line, I just know I've tried his and it was really good.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1345 on: November 24, 2010, 09:24:26 AM

I'll have to investigate.  I'm the sort of guy who would use filet in beef stew, though.  Which I made in a dutch oven, but same principle I suppose.  Not sure I can fry the beef in the slow cooker, which is a small shame.

voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #1346 on: November 24, 2010, 09:39:52 AM

OK, since this thread has resurfaced - I have a potluck coming up in a few weeks and I'm looking for new Slow Cooker ideas. It's an older, meat and potatoes type crowd (curling league). I also have one coming up at work for Christmas - though that one will require a no nuts and no pork rule - which rules out my two favorite recipes.

Pot roast! I made some in my pressure cooker. Same concept, but pressure cooker takes an hour instead of six. Here's the recipe I made for it. I think a mustard rub would be great on the pot roast, too, but in that dish I just made the mustard glaze for the veggies.

For something not BBQey maybe a cassoulet?

This would not be compliant with Bunk's "no pork" request - my version (Tony Bourdain's version from the Les Halles cookbook) calls for lining the Dutch oven in pork skin, and covering the beans in pureed pork belly.

However! You could probably do feijoada and use beef products instead of pork (it already calls for brisket). I made that, too, using my home-grown scarlet runner beans here.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 09:43:06 AM by voodoolily »

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1347 on: November 24, 2010, 09:47:33 AM

I'm getting hungry for a nice braised chuck now. Dammit, thread.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1348 on: November 24, 2010, 12:31:49 PM

I totally forgot pork skin, bacon and pork fat are all pork products. I would make a terrible Jew (but damn would my food taste good!)

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1349 on: November 24, 2010, 02:06:58 PM

Yea, every recipe I saw regarding cassoulet was full of pork or sausage (and anywhere between 6 hours and 6 days worth of work ACK!). Also, turns out legumes in thier entirety are an issue - so no bean heavy dishes either.

Trying a pot roast sounds like a great idea though, haven't tried in years. Maybe I'll pick one up tonight...

Jade Falcon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1350 on: November 25, 2010, 10:00:33 AM

http://www.slowandsimple.com/Beef_and_Potato_Stew-r-24.html I make this one quite a bit except instead of keeping it as just a stew I throw it over egg noodles.Great site tho for slow cooker recipes.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1351 on: November 30, 2010, 03:21:26 PM

I need a "traditional" Russian dish that doesn't suck from the perspective of a first grader.  So, no beets or cabbage. Ohhhhh, I see.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #1352 on: November 30, 2010, 03:51:08 PM

Pelmeni are good, and definitely edible for someone younger.  They're essentially Russian dumplings filled with tasty things.  Minced meats, potatoes, onions, etc.  They can be boiled or fried depending upon the region and served with or without sour cream based sauces.  Blinis would be pretty easy to get a kid to eat as well as they are basically just crepes filled with more tasty things.

Syrniki would be good for a desert.  They are cheese pancakes.  Awesome, awesome cheese pancakes.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 03:57:59 PM by Ruvaldt »

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1353 on: November 30, 2010, 04:04:39 PM

Awesome, thanks!

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1354 on: November 30, 2010, 04:52:58 PM

Everyone loves http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shashlik too.

Well maybe not vegetarians.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1355 on: November 30, 2010, 06:51:16 PM

There is one confirmed vegetarian.  The syrniki look pretty damn good, too.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #1356 on: November 30, 2010, 08:24:21 PM

Pelmeni can be vegetarian friendly; especially Ukrainian style as they often fill them with potatoes, cheese or boiled eggs and forgo any meat.

You can't go wrong with syrniki.  Deruny are a good take on potato pancakes as well; more oniony than latkes, and would work as a side dish, I guess.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #1357 on: December 01, 2010, 03:39:33 PM

Being a Volga German, I'm a pretty big fan of bierocks. They're like the German-ed up version of pelmeni/pierogi. I make them with store-bought pizza dough.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1358 on: March 21, 2011, 01:27:52 PM

Does anyone have a recipe for the metled, white cheese dip you get in Mexican restaurants? The stuff they give you with a basket of corn chips. I've tried melting down Monterey Jack and Queso Blanco to no avail.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1359 on: March 21, 2011, 02:16:53 PM

My understanding you need to make a Béchamel sauce with cheese folded into it.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1360 on: March 21, 2011, 02:32:55 PM

Does anyone have a recipe for the metled, white cheese dip you get in Mexican restaurants? The stuff they give you with a basket of corn chips. I've tried melting down Monterey Jack and Queso Blanco to no avail.

It's typically made with crap processed cheese. If you want to make an better testing version. Melt the butter, add the flour, stir it into the butter, add the milk, whisk it until it has no lumps and thickens slightly. Add the cheese, stir until melted. Adjust with more milk or more cheese to get your desired consistency. Add the chilis. Win.

2 Tbs Butter
2 Tbs Flour
1 cup milk
2 cups grated white cheese (I like jack)
1 small can hot green chilis

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #1361 on: March 21, 2011, 03:18:49 PM

Paelos has you headed in the proper direction.

I use the Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilis though.  Also, I suggest adding crumbled loose sausage.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1362 on: March 21, 2011, 03:20:36 PM

I've been going to Mexican restaurants all my life and I'm not sure I've ever seen the stuff you're talking about.  Head scratch

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1363 on: March 21, 2011, 03:24:20 PM

Queso dip may be more Tex-Mex than traditional, but if you've never had it, you're missing out. 
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1364 on: March 21, 2011, 04:01:20 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't say it's authentic Mexican restaurants that serve the dip. Like, it's not a place where I could get succulent cow tongue on small tortillas. Tex-Mex is probably correct. I had a feeling the dip might be a hunk of processed cheese melted, but damn I like it so much. Thanks for the replies.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 52 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Voodoolily's Snacktastic Recipe Thread!!  
Jump to: