Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 10:05:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Final Fantasy XIII 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIII  (Read 74710 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #210 on: March 15, 2010, 11:50:43 AM

The upgrade components are what I mean when I complain about the grind.  CP are easy to get, materials far less so.  I tried to grind for a bit but the effort required to PERHAPS get a component was a bit much.

You get stores with components.  Now, you just have to get money.  awesome, for real  Selling weapons/fighting soldiers seems to be the only way to get any gil.

-Rasix
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: March 15, 2010, 01:12:38 PM

Pre chapter 10-11 items seem very precious, they aren't.  Feel free to sell half your accessories for cash to just buy components.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #212 on: March 15, 2010, 03:38:41 PM

I never got the "FFXII feels like MMORPG" thing that I kept reading.  I don't know that it is worth a huge discussion at this point but I really don't see it.  I assume it was due to the lack of random encounters and separate battle screen.

If "feels like an MMO" means lack of random encounters and no separate battle screen, I want more MMO feeling in my RPGs!

Yes, combat with autoattack shit was very MMO-ish to me. Same for the first city, lots of running around for quests, and then first open area with respawning mobs with aggro range and shit, felt absolutely like FF11 with new graphics to me. It gets better later on, but I could never shake that feeling again.

Xurtan
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: March 15, 2010, 04:33:36 PM

Just got a weapon to star level. How do I go about transforming it to a new item? Is it just a case of getting lots of random ores until I find the right combination; or am I missing something terribly obvious?  Ohhhhh, I see. (This is me assuming the ores that talk about being transformation catalysts are for weapon upgrading.)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: March 15, 2010, 05:01:31 PM

This isnt really a spoiler per say as a good tip.

Any weapon you get can turn into your omega weapon for that char. Basically you evolve a weapon 3-4 times and it becomes an omega weapon but with the same stat allocation as whatever you evolved it from.  So pick the weapon style you want str/mag/debuff and just stick with it.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #215 on: March 15, 2010, 05:52:43 PM

Good to know, thanks. Anything similar for accessories?

BTw, I've upgraded Light's starter gunblade to lvl 10.... haven't seen anything about Omega yet.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: March 15, 2010, 06:04:59 PM

You have to level up the weapons to around 25 and get star level then 'evolve' them by using rare ores. eventually after 3-4 evolutions they become the omega weapon.  Accessories im not too sure about though but be careful when you evolve them because at least a couple times itll turn into something completely different you may not have wanted.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #217 on: March 15, 2010, 06:56:31 PM

It appears that I have to grind.. you can't be that far ahead of me, and yet you're weapons are over lvl 25? Either I spread too thin on upgrades or you're catassing. Or both.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: March 15, 2010, 07:28:46 PM

I'm at chapter 11 now and really ive only evolved lightnings weapon once, I've slacked a bit on the rest and I dont give a damn about sazh/hope/snow since i never use them.

Gunzwei
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: March 17, 2010, 11:55:28 AM

Little help for those trying to figure out upgrading/dismantling.

Weapons can upgraded two times. The second upgrade turns the weapon into the "ultimate" form. Each upgrade requires the weapon to be * (star) level then upgraded with the appropriate catalyst item (these are ores/crystals).

Exp reqs to achieve a *  (star) level (generally not strictly) are - 50k exp for initial form, 450k exp for intermediate form, and 1.5 million exp for the ultimate form.

The best way to upgrade is to use organic components (claw icon) to achieve a x3 exp bonus, then use mechanical parts for exp in one go.

Detailed example of how to efficiently level an item -
Some accessories upgrade to better versions, and some change into an entirely different item when upgraded.

Dismantling
- The higher level the item is (lvl 1 - lvl star) the more materials/items you will get when dismantling it.
- The only reason to ever dismantle something is to get an extremely rare component, or items/accessories that can only be acquired through dismantling certain high level items.

Detailed example of using Upgrading/Dismantling to acquire the Sprint Shoes Accessory (auto haste) -

Rasix

Reply #220 on: March 17, 2010, 12:01:32 PM

Little help for those trying to figure out upgrading/dismantling.

Weapons can upgraded two times. The second upgrade turns the weapon into the "ultimate" form. Each upgrade requires the weapon to be * (star) level then upgraded with the appropriate catalyst item (these are ores/crystals).

Exp reqs to achieve a *  (star) level (generally not strictly) are - 50k exp for initial form, 450k exp for intermediate form, and 1.5 million exp for the ultimate form.

The best way to upgrade is to use organic components (claw icon) to achieve a x3 exp bonus, then use mechanical parts for exp in one go.

Detailed example of how to efficiently level an item -
Some accessories upgrade to better versions, and some change into an entirely different item when upgraded.

Dismantling
- The higher level the item is (lvl 1 - lvl star) the more materials/items you will get when dismantling it.
- The only reason to ever dismantle something is to get an extremely rare component, or items/accessories that can only be acquired through dismantling certain high level items.

Detailed example of using Upgrading/Dismantling to acquire the Sprint Shoes Accessory (auto haste) -

Eep, I didn't know it went higher than 2.   Facepalm   Ohh well, only at chapter 10.  Not a whole lot of waste in the grand scheme of things.

That stuff at the end.  Ugg, that's prime strategy guide fodder.  I've hated that every FF since 7 has some sort of incredibly hard to find or obscure way to obtain really powerful weapons/armor.  Makes you feel compelled to buy the strategy guide or wait until someone de-japs a Gamefaq guide (lot of textual changes to items which can make the current faqs somewhat hard to read).

Ohh well, at least it's not dependent on chocobo-breeding or blitzball.

edit:

Helpful weapon guide. http://ff-13.info/category/weapons/  Warning: don't go to the main page unless you want to see overal plot spoilers.  It is a walkthrough.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 01:08:26 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #221 on: March 18, 2010, 01:02:20 AM

Interesting how Gran Pulse opens up a few little additions this late in the game. The wild areas and Cieth side quests feels a little FF12 like at first glance.

Anyhow, seems like an longer RPG than usual when you think about it. Considering that when you subtract time sinks like towns and side games, and just have those playing hours devoted to the main story...
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: March 18, 2010, 06:34:36 AM

Oh great, I didn't know about 3x bonus.  Booooooooooo.  Wasted a ton of stuff then.  Heh only in chapter 7 though no worries.  I have a ton of "organic" stuff to use for upgrades, but I'm very short on mechanical pieces.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #223 on: March 18, 2010, 07:39:55 AM

Being somewhat of a FF newb here, and only being in Chapter 3 so far, I am getting a little frightened by all of this.

Is it ok that I think the way Vanille runs with her arms outstretched is awesome?

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #224 on: March 18, 2010, 07:51:20 AM

Pretty soon you'll be downloading magic girl anime.  why so serious?

Seriously though, she's probably got the better animations of the bunch. Her weapon type is kind of different too.
Rasix

Reply #225 on: March 18, 2010, 08:34:42 AM

Is it ok that I think the way Vanille runs with her arms outstretched is awesome?

Vanille is pretty awesome throughout, although I'm finding debuffing to be less useful than I hoped.  It's great for difficult trash in parts (especially early on), just there's a lot of bosses where they're immune or nothing lands. I'm starting to feel like I need to work one of the buffers (Sazh or Hope) into my party, but that would mean benching Lightning or Vanille, which would make me sad.

There's an awesome scene in chapter 9 with Vanille's weapon.

-Rasix
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #226 on: March 18, 2010, 08:58:18 AM

I started training her as a synergist, although I imagine it'll be awhile before I climb up the tree enough to be really useful. As it is, I tend to keep Hope in my teams. I don't dislike him, but Vanille would be cooler. Not sure what chapter I'm in, but Fang, Light, and Hope are a cool team imo. Getting Vanille trained though would pretty much cover anything.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 09:00:34 AM by stray »
John Difool
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: March 18, 2010, 10:18:07 AM

Vanille is pretty awesome throughout, although I'm finding debuffing to be less useful than I hoped.  It's great for difficult trash in parts (especially early on), just there's a lot of bosses where they're immune or nothing lands. I'm starting to feel like I need to work one of the buffers (Sazh or Hope) into my party, but that would mean benching Lightning or Vanille, which would make me sad.

There's an awesome scene in chapter 9 with Vanille's weapon.

Who do you have for your battle team? I beat the game using Lightning/Sazh/Vanille. I'm surprised you aren't using Sazh yet but maybe Haste isn't available yet on his Synergist Crystarium?

"I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand." -John Cleese in Clockwise
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: March 18, 2010, 11:14:57 AM

Sazh sucks.  I'm not there yet, but you can get haste boots.
John Difool
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: March 18, 2010, 12:47:43 PM

Didn't know about the Haste boots. I'll agree that he isn't the strongest character, I'd dun him for lowish stats and that his Commando role I never used and would've preferred that he had Fang's Sab abilities. I just got used to him as "haste-bitch"/general buffs and his Ravager was more than competent with the benefit of the guns that gave Stagger bonus. Hope would've been a better choice but he didn't get Haste til much later and by then I was well into "not broken-don't fix" mode regarding combat.

"I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand." -John Cleese in Clockwise
Rasix

Reply #230 on: March 18, 2010, 12:56:46 PM

Sentinel not play a large role towards the end?  I admit I only use a Sent when I need to recover HP.

-Rasix
John Difool
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: March 18, 2010, 01:14:14 PM

Sentinel not play a large role towards the end?  I admit I only use a Sent when I need to recover HP.

I never used one unless forced to by the game for a special fight. It might have made some of the combat even smoother here and there but aside from an infrequent lapse in timing Paradigm shifts I only ever used "Retry" against insta-KO capable mobs and Sentinel really wouldn't change that effect anyways

Edit: I suppose on the Death fights Sentinel would've taken the fall on account of their aggro tools and I would've avoided game over but meh... If I ever do another playthrough my team would be Light/Sazh/Vanille until Hope gets Haste then Light/Fang/Hope for the rest
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 01:20:43 PM by John Difool »

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: April 17, 2012, 03:37:04 PM

Apologies for the necro, but I'm playing through this for the first time and I cannot for the life of me wrap my head around this equipment upgrade system.  I've read through the early posts, and I still don't understand how to go about upgrading equipemnt, salvaging at the right times, while still finding the right stuff to sell to make some money to buy shit.  Or should I even bother with the whole thing?  Can someone just tl;dr this for me?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: April 17, 2012, 06:19:02 PM

I don't remember entirely but I think you can completely ignore that system until you arrive at Gran Pulse, and then you can look up a guide for the most efficient means of upgrading your equipment. The process goes something like; use organic ingredients until the item has a times three multiplier, then use mechanical ingredients which will knock the multiplier down. Put more organic materials until it's back to times three, and so on. There are only a handful of items worth dismantling and it can only be done when it's fully upgraded. You shouldn't sell anything unless the description says it's only used for selling.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #234 on: April 17, 2012, 07:46:32 PM

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #235 on: April 18, 2012, 06:30:14 AM

My upgrade technique involved not playing anymore when You realized you realized rather than utilizing different tactics for certain fights, it simply revolved around slotting accessories to mitigate the chance of a game ender moves.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #236 on: April 18, 2012, 07:23:09 AM

Holy fucking weirdness. I just got a 360 vga cable for my old 20" monitor (since I own no TVs) and have had this game for years and never finished it. Just so happen to pop it in Monday with the goal of playing through it at least to say I did. Odd coincidence, that.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: April 18, 2012, 10:35:15 AM

Seeing a guide by Split Infinity reminded me that Gamefaqs letting people put whatever silly bullshit they like as a version number for their guides can get really fucking stupid.
dalien
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: January 30, 2014, 11:58:57 PM

Rise, from the dead!

Squeenix released a 16-bit retro SNES-type rendering of the FF13 and 13-2 stories if you're going to play 13-3 and want a refresher on the plot.  There be spoilers so don't watch if you're one of the 3 people currently playing through 13 and 13-2 and don't want anything spoiled (spoiler alert: it's a jumbled mess).  Otherwise, it's a good watch even if you have no interest in these games; it definitely hits the nostalgia bone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQrBSO74DzA
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: January 31, 2014, 01:33:18 AM

I just started playing XIII-2. As far as I can tell this is the plot:

Lighting Lightning paradox Lightning Lightning Snow Lightning future Lightning Lightning.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: January 31, 2014, 09:36:55 PM

Rise, from the dead!

Squeenix released a 16-bit retro SNES-type rendering of the FF13 and 13-2 stories if you're going to play 13-3 and want a refresher on the plot.  There be spoilers so don't watch if you're one of the 3 people currently playing through 13 and 13-2 and don't want anything spoiled (spoiler alert: it's a jumbled mess).  Otherwise, it's a good watch even if you have no interest in these games; it definitely hits the nostalgia bone.

Holy shit, I'd give me left nut if they redid FFXIII like that.  Because it'd be 10x better than the  swamp poop they put out.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: January 31, 2014, 09:54:50 PM

Rise, from the dead!

This pixel art looks like C-tier dog shit. Will Square-enix ever stop embarrassing themselves?
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: January 31, 2014, 10:08:34 PM

This pixel art looks like C-tier dog shit. Will Square-enix ever stop embarrassing themselves?

It's about ten million times better looking than FF6 by which I mean the mobile port they just released.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: February 01, 2014, 12:00:24 AM

There was a story in FF13 that needs catching up on?  Because all I remember is wandering through one endless tunnel and wondering when I was ever going to make it to the first town.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #244 on: February 01, 2014, 01:39:57 AM

Rise, from the dead!

Holy shit, I'd give me left nut if they redid FFXIII like that.  Because it'd be 10x better than the  swamp poop they put out.

Changing the graphics wouldn't fix the shit characters and story.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Final Fantasy XIII  
Jump to: