Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 12:38:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1122298 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3080 on: June 04, 2014, 02:05:30 AM

He's obviously still recovering.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

My views on Sophie Turner are a matter of public record, so you can imagine my reaction to the scene in question.

Thematically, it's wondrous that she's finally, finally, finally, finally grown up.  If you look at where she started and where she is, it's actually one of the more convincing character arcs in the show.  Oddly.  Since at first it was just one dimensional bullshit.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #3081 on: June 04, 2014, 05:23:54 AM

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #3082 on: June 04, 2014, 06:01:44 PM

We need a What If? spin-off series where Oberyn lives and Arya and The Hound roam Westeros for the foreseeable future.

Also:

most often known as Drevik
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #3083 on: June 08, 2014, 11:53:22 AM

I've never bothered with the DVD extras but they are surprisingly good. Quite fun if you haven't seen them before.
Stannis
Dothraki
Bolton
Varys and Petyr
Thoros
The entire fucking history
the lot
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 12:15:34 PM by lac »
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3084 on: June 08, 2014, 07:12:09 PM

I am the .00000001428%
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #3085 on: June 08, 2014, 10:21:27 PM

Well, I wasn't quite expecting an episode like that. Became obvious after the credits only named like three actors. Hopefully fulfilled everyone's action, violence, and death quotient.

At least I now know pretty for certain what the last scene of the 10th episode is going to be.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #3086 on: June 09, 2014, 06:03:09 AM

I see three candidates for last scene of the season, and my best guess is a crap load more likely in my eyes.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #3087 on: June 09, 2014, 06:44:02 AM

I think a bunch of Jon's buddies who were ontop the wall survived.

And yeah I can think of 3 season ending moments too. Either way the last episode should deliver because I assume all 3 will be in there.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3088 on: June 09, 2014, 07:09:17 AM

As I recall, Jon's "posse" from the books was:

Dolorous Edd (top of wall, survived)
Grenn (in tunnel, dead)
Pip (castle black, dead)
and of course Sam (survived)

So he lost half of the crew and his woman.

I think they did the battle on the wall much better than they did the Blackwater. I guess the criticism for the previous meant that they wanted to make sure they showed something a little more epic this time.

I am sure schild hated it because it was about the wall  why so serious?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #3089 on: June 09, 2014, 07:45:12 AM

Well there must be like 50 Black Watch left at this point anyway. I think they showed Thenn, Ygrette & the big redheaded guy (Tormund?) bring down 50 by themselves let alone what the rest of the 50-100 raiders killed in the courtyard battle. Add to that another 10 dead (5 in tunnel, 5 on wall from giant arrows + oil explosion). Are they expecting help from the other two BW forts? Or did they already get a few reinforcements already?
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #3090 on: June 09, 2014, 09:26:33 AM

50 Black Watch

Things would have gone much better for the defense if the wall was manned by the Royal Highlanders. They have machine guns, grenades, and whatnot

Sorry man, if I had to take it over getting Ohlongjohnson's name wrong, I'm giving out over referencing the 3rd Battalion, Royal Regiment of Scotland.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #3091 on: June 09, 2014, 10:32:48 AM

heh whoops.

I live 2 blocks away from the Black Watch regiment of Canada's HQ, get that mixed up easily.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3092 on: June 09, 2014, 01:39:09 PM

Not enough care and effort was put into the show to dedicate as much time to this fight as they apparently did in the book.

NO ONE CARES, JON SNUH

this show needs less fan service for book readers

I am sure schild hated it because it was about the wall  why so serious?

I would've been fine if it weren't a whole episode.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 01:41:44 PM by schild »
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3093 on: June 09, 2014, 02:56:43 PM

That little "i got you bro" head nod the kid gave Jon when he killed Ygritte was so fucking hilarious.

I am the .00000001428%
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #3094 on: June 09, 2014, 05:13:24 PM

he killed Ygritte

God fucking dammit.

SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE

I knew it was supposed to happen but haven't watched it yet.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3095 on: June 09, 2014, 05:15:56 PM

On the one hand I want to say "SPOILERS" and chastise Threash but on the other hand I don't know what the fuck you expect us to be talking about when you come to this thread the day after the episode airs.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3096 on: June 09, 2014, 05:19:18 PM

This is not a show where the drama is tense enough that spoilers matter.

True Detective? Sure.
Game of Thrones? Not so much.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #3097 on: June 09, 2014, 05:25:36 PM

On the one hand I want to say "SPOILERS" and chastise Threash but on the other hand I don't know what the fuck you expect us to be talking about when you come to this thread the day after the episode airs.

It's all good, I don't really care. I just don't know if we're spoilering stuff in here. Did I miss that? It's more that stuff is either spoilered or it isn't, I thought we were spoilering. But it looks like more of a sloppy mix of both.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3098 on: June 09, 2014, 05:27:36 PM

I see three candidates for last scene of the season, and my best guess is a crap load more likely in my eyes.

I think your best guess is more likely to happen mid-late episode and the last scene of the episode will be the same one as the last scene of the book.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3099 on: June 10, 2014, 01:08:50 AM

Just glad I'm late to the party.  Filthy Euros are a day behind with GoT and I avoid this thread like the plague until I've caught up.

But I really didn't think she'd kark it so soon.  I thought there was a lot more tortuous mileage in the character.

Ah well.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #3100 on: June 10, 2014, 02:38:43 AM

It's nice to have an episode focus on one storyline at once.  The fight was pretty good and though I have a couple of quibbles I was entertained.  Loved Jon and Sam's stories in this one.  Good to see some fantasy (giants, mastodons) in this fantasy show.  The scythe was a cool 'oh that makes sense' moment.

It was odd rooting for Ser Alister Thorne, turns out he can kick butt though.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #3101 on: June 10, 2014, 04:09:38 AM

He's still a prick!

It was a good episode despite my dislike of Jon's arc.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #3102 on: June 10, 2014, 05:32:37 AM

It wasn't bad, but I did find myself grinding my teeth as the giants and mammoths approached the wall without a shot being fired at them.  I dvr the show and usually watch over lunch on Monday (my wife hates the show) and I make it a point to read this thread before I watch.  I've read the books, I know mostly what happens, what I want to know is how much fast forwarding I'm going to have to do to get past the characters that I can't be bothered to care about.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #3103 on: June 10, 2014, 06:31:28 AM

We didn't see them shooting any arrows down at the giants, but they do mention that the giant had already taken numerous arrows as he's charging down the tunnel at them.

This might be the first episode in the show where they actually killed off more named characters than actually died in the books.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #3104 on: June 10, 2014, 06:41:57 AM

It's all good, I don't really care. I just don't know if we're spoilering stuff in here. Did I miss that? It's more that stuff is either spoilered or it isn't, I thought we were spoilering. But it looks like more of a sloppy mix of both.

People spoiler book stuff, not TV that already aired. You gotta avoid this thread if you're behind on the TV show.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #3105 on: June 10, 2014, 06:44:54 AM

It was odd rooting for Ser Alister Thorne, turns out he can kick butt though.
[/quote

Thorne was always presented as a badass, vet fighter, just a complete prick too.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #3106 on: June 10, 2014, 06:52:10 AM

I think the tendency is to expect the trope of the big blowhard, dick head leader being shitty at his job. They might have said that Ser Alliser was bad ass, but I don't think we really expected it. I thought that sequence ended up one of the real highlights of the episode.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3107 on: June 10, 2014, 09:15:56 AM

Great episode, and I agree that it completely blew the doors off the Battle of the Blackwater episode. The one tracking shot where they show the whole fort from one side to the other was very well done. It did feel like the wildlings killed a whole fuckload more people than the 100 that were supposedly guarding the fort. The giant scene was awesome as was the scythe.

However, Jon Snow leaving the fort at the end... the fuck? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I can only expect that the contract for Mance Rayder said he needed X amount of screen time so they made up a scene with him and Jon Snow talking next episode. Totally unnecessary and illogical, mind you.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3108 on: June 10, 2014, 09:54:30 AM

PSA: next weeks episode is 66 mins long, set tivos accordingly.

I am the .00000001428%
Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #3109 on: June 10, 2014, 09:56:36 AM

Some quibbles here too, especially about the aforementioned lack of defender interest in the approaching giants. And rocks, although I know dropping rocks makes no sense compared to cantilevering archers out 90 degrees to fire straight down. But one thing that really stood out for me in the battle was how fucking hard that Thenn hit. There was no doubt whatsoever that the sheer force behind his axe was completely overpowering. Yet it wasn't superhero or wire-fu exaggeration, however they managed it, it felt real and earned.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3110 on: June 10, 2014, 10:11:32 AM

But one thing that really stood out for me in the battle was how fucking hard that Thenn hit. There was no doubt whatsoever that the sheer force behind his axe was completely overpowering. Yet it wasn't superhero or wire-fu exaggeration, however they managed it, it felt real and earned.

Must be the high protein diet.   why so serious?
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #3111 on: June 10, 2014, 11:07:22 AM

Great episode, and I agree that it completely blew the doors off the Battle of the Blackwater episode. The one tracking shot where they show the whole fort from one side to the other was very well done. It did feel like the wildlings killed a whole fuckload more people than the 100 that were supposedly guarding the fort. The giant scene was awesome as was the scythe.

However, Jon Snow leaving the fort at the end... the fuck? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I can only expect that the contract for Mance Rayder said he needed X amount of screen time so they made up a scene with him and Jon Snow talking next episode. Totally unnecessary and illogical, mind you.

most often known as Drevik
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #3112 on: June 10, 2014, 12:36:05 PM

They've already changed some stuff at the wall from the books, and I presume they're going to change a lot more

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3113 on: June 10, 2014, 01:49:46 PM

Really? Shit, I don't remember that at ALL. Not that my memory is the greatest.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #3114 on: June 10, 2014, 01:53:43 PM

I think your best guess is more likely to happen mid-late episode and the last scene of the episode will be the same one as the last scene of the book.
Yeah, you're probably right.  You didn't have to be so stone cold about correcting me, though.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: