Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 07:02:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2139586 times)
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #9205 on: August 16, 2011, 06:50:59 PM

I have yet to see a MMO preview video where the people playing it did not suck donkey cock at the game they are playing.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #9206 on: August 16, 2011, 06:58:43 PM

Yea it was pretty clear they all died to the boss on purpose there.  Makes me wonder if it's not finished or they just didn't want to show it.

Raid zone finished before the mmo is realeased? You haven't been paying attention to the last decade have you?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #9207 on: August 16, 2011, 07:22:20 PM

I have yet to see a MMO preview video where the people playing it did not suck donkey cock at the game they are playing.

I hate this so much.  Can't they just get some top tier raiding clan from another game to come show off their content, it'd probably make it look cooler if you have people who actually know what they are doing up there.  Seems like a better choice all around, the casual players will think it looks cool, the hardcores will see what the gameplay is like at a high level because they know what to look fore.  Win-win.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #9208 on: August 16, 2011, 08:04:47 PM

I'd like the hardcore raiders in the audience actively beaten with bats during the presentation. Win-win.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #9209 on: August 16, 2011, 08:51:54 PM

The bizarre raid demonstration thing Blizzard does at Blizzcon now (invite some bleeding edge guild to fight bosses in front of an audience, basically) is surprisingly entertaining, but I think part of it was because of stuff like "Alright, fight Patchwerk, Thaddius and Anub'whoever at once."

God Save the Horn Players
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9210 on: August 16, 2011, 09:28:11 PM

Hardcore raiders couldn't make it to the demo because they'd have been kicked from their guilds for missing a raid.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #9211 on: August 17, 2011, 05:14:00 AM

TBH, those eight people probably weren't even playing...they were probably still working on coding the damn game.  why so serious?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #9212 on: August 17, 2011, 08:11:42 AM

Looks like marketing has won again: James Ohlen confirmed that there will be no cross-faction communication:

http://swtor.tentonhammer.com/featured-post/swtor-creative-director-james-ohlen-at-syndcon/

Ten Ton Hammer: We are also curious about the banking system. Will players be able to share items between their own characters through the bank on the same server, or even across factions so long as it’s on the same account?

James: Currently no, you have to do it the old fashioned way through the mailbox, but only if they’re the same faction. There are multiple reasons why we don’t want the different factions to communicate with each other.

We had the big argument that this isn’t like Horde and Alliance, we all speak Galactic Standard so we should just allow it. So we actually did allow it for a little while. The argument against it was that, what happens is people start saying inappropriate things to the other side. That’s just the way it is when you’re on a different side and you gank each other, people tend to say inappropriate things.

So we thought that maybe it won’t be so bad, but then when we started doing testing with external people, and then we’d look at the chat logs and say, OK, that’s gone. And it wasn’t the swear words that were bad, let’s just say that lots of inappropriate things get said. Usually our testers are more mature, and if this is what was happening with them, imagine what will happen when we go out into the wild.

We just wanted to get rid of that, so that’s another reason why you can’t mail your incredibly dirty messages to members of the opposite faction. The unfortunate thing is that’s just human nature. Suddenly Empire players would start sending horrific messages – and I mean horrific – so that’s what we want to avoid.

Ten Ton Hammer: Maybe you could work that into some kind of system where you can gain dark side points based on how horrific your mail is…

James: *Laughter* I don’t think we want any systems connected to the things that would be said, that’s the thing.

Ten Ton Hammer: How does that translate to something like a PvP environment then? Is it a case where you’ll only see chat from other players of your own faction, and don’t see the other faction’s chat at all?

James: You won’t see the other faction’s chat at all, so they can’t chat with you and you can’t chat with them.

Sigh, I wanted to write something about the great possibilities CFC (cross-faction communication) gives roleplaying-wise (but also in community-building, and yes, precisely also because of the bad side of it) but it's useless, devs these days will always find the easiest way out for the immature kids out there. Fuck.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9213 on: August 17, 2011, 08:14:54 AM

Best to avoid the inevitable shit talk.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #9214 on: August 17, 2011, 08:22:34 AM

Yes, and that bottom line I can't  argue with; it's just that...I don't know, maybe it's because I see the enormous potential when it comes to cross-faction guilds and cross-faction storylines (IF DONE RIGHT, of course, and that's a big "if") have, so I wish people would embrace that idea instead of artificially blocking any creative idea. But hey, maybe I need to go back to earth and notice the hell we live in, I don't know.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9215 on: August 17, 2011, 08:23:57 AM

Let's just say I'm WICKED FUCKING DUBIOUS of those who are testing this game.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9216 on: August 17, 2011, 08:25:59 AM

If this was a more player focused game, perhaps with some sort of diplomacy or regional land war system, maybe. This game is so on rails, its just best to avoid all the strife. I think you are thinking of another game Lucas.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #9217 on: August 17, 2011, 08:29:57 AM

If this was a more player focused game, perhaps with some sort of diplomacy or regional land war system, maybe. This game is so on rails, its just best to avoid all the strife. I think you are thinking of another game Lucas.

Yes, in theory (I say so because the sandbox portion is quite barren, nowadays :P) I prefer sandbox games a lot more than theme parks, and again in theory, CFC works better in those ones, of course.

Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9218 on: August 17, 2011, 08:42:42 AM

Yes, and that bottom line I can't  argue with; it's just that...I don't know, maybe it's because I see the enormous potential when it comes to cross-faction guilds and cross-faction storylines (IF DONE RIGHT, of course, and that's a big "if") have, so I wish people would embrace that idea instead of artificially blocking any creative idea. But hey, maybe I need to go back to earth and notice the hell we live in, I don't know.

Forced spiting your players down the middle is mind bogglingly dumb. Especially in this game where you have this much lauded darkside/lightside system. I'm sorry to get all lore nerd here but if you pick sith but make all light side choices your not on the evil side anymore, There was even footage from comic-con of a quest where a jedi redeems a sith and later in that guys story that sith is working with the republic. so much potential wasted.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9219 on: August 17, 2011, 08:45:24 AM

Kill 500 orcs Troopers to convert?

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #9220 on: August 17, 2011, 08:47:09 AM

Ok. looks like Georg Zoeller is coming to the rescue on the official forums (bold is mine):

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8314508#edit8314508

Today , 05:34 PM

Guys,

Let's back up for a minute and clarify what's going on here.

Nothing has changed since San Diego Comic Con.

As discussed at SDCC, the decision was made to separate the general chat channels by faction. However, this decision ONLY affects the planet-wide chat channels such as "General Chat." If you're standing next to another player (local chat), you can talk to them regardless of what faction you're part of.

The only thing we removed, as already mentioned at Comic-Con, was the ability to communicate with the opposing faction across the entirety of a planet to avoid the issues (like griefing, abuse, and other factors which led to a very unpleasant experience) which we saw way too often in testing.

We discussed the option of hiding the global chat and defaulting it off, but ultimately the ratio of negative incidents was too high to justify that. The reasoning here is simple: We really didn’t want to create a game option that essentially says "
  • Give me an 80% chance of having an infuriating and annoying chat experience," and putting the onus on the user ("you can just /ignore them") is not our idea of a quality game experience.

Removing planet-wide cross-faction chat radically reduces the amount of reach a misbehaving player has before account action can be taken. We’ll likely add the ability to filter local cross faction chat as well.

Hopefully that clears it up a bit.
Georg "Observer" Zoeller
Principal Lead Combat Designer

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #9221 on: August 17, 2011, 09:21:44 AM

Always assume your players are cheating xenophobic bastards and design your systems accordingly.  Otherwise you're just going to spend a lot of money on customer service and dev time to patch out someone's wide-eyed idealism.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #9222 on: August 17, 2011, 09:35:56 AM

Keeping local chat in is the worst idea of them all.   Shit talking in PVP encounters will be tremendous.  Each and every "horrible thing" they saw on global will be macroed so it can be spammed once your opponent is dead.   Much like /spit or /wave or /laugh in WoW BGs.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #9223 on: August 17, 2011, 09:38:13 AM

We’ll likely add the ability to filter local cross faction chat as well.

I imagine this is the first thing I'll do on every character.  It's like getting out of general or trade chat back in the day.

-Rasix
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #9224 on: August 17, 2011, 09:58:50 AM

During alpha and beta for WoW they had cross faction communication. They actually removed it half way through beta, as upward of 70% of the GM petitions had to do with CFC harassment.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #9225 on: August 17, 2011, 10:27:36 AM

Rift has cross faction communication without any issues.  There is about 10x more in faction shit talking than cross faction.

I am the .00000001428%
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #9226 on: August 17, 2011, 11:19:51 AM

Rift has cross faction communication without any issues.  There is about 10x more in faction shit talking than cross faction.

WoW just has Alliance.

OMG YOU F'KING NOOBS STOP GUARDING THE FLAG, ALLIANCE SUCKS!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #9227 on: August 17, 2011, 11:53:21 AM

Yes, because it proved horrendous in RIFT.  No, wait...

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #9228 on: August 17, 2011, 11:54:38 AM

All my BGs were just trash talking the other side.

Cross faction chatter just.. lacks any real up side that I can see. You gain a minor chance for roleplaying, and lose a lot to ... the internet.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #9229 on: August 17, 2011, 11:56:28 AM

Nevermind:  Lots more stuff after what I quoted.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #9230 on: August 17, 2011, 11:57:58 AM

To be a little mean to Rift, I think it lacks the critical mass to be any sort of example on this.  Plus, the crowd that SWTOR is going to draw will be infinitely more vile.

-Rasix
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #9231 on: August 17, 2011, 12:03:00 PM

To be a little mean to Rift, I think it lacks the critical mass to be any sort of example on this.  Plus, the crowd that SWTOR is going to draw will be infinitely more vile.

Please, incest and hilariously age inappropriate relationships are canon! :P

But really, I dislike cross faction chatter. Because it goes.. bad places. And I don't like the idea of having to wait another hour on my quest mob won't spawn above the ground because all the GMs are busy sorting out who exactly was being a dick to who.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #9232 on: August 17, 2011, 12:11:37 PM

'Whom' you pink-skinned, fleshy freak.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #9233 on: August 17, 2011, 12:15:40 PM

I speak Texan.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #9234 on: August 17, 2011, 01:31:25 PM

I hope they give us the option to turn it off, I'm with Rasix, I don't *want* the other side to be able to talk to me.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #9235 on: August 17, 2011, 02:14:49 PM

I hope they give us the option to turn it off, I'm with Rasix, I don't *want* the other side to be able to talk to me.

Nothing more lame then dying in PvP and getting a tell "LOL YOU SUCK L2P!!" or some crap. SWG comes to mind here
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #9236 on: August 17, 2011, 02:35:04 PM

Yes, because it proved horrendous in RIFT.  No, wait...

I'm guessing you guys played on PvE or RP-PvE servers?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #9237 on: August 17, 2011, 03:00:01 PM

Randomly being matched up against other servers does not thrill me, there's very little opportunity to build up rivalries against opponents you see all the time that way.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #9238 on: August 17, 2011, 03:19:34 PM

I'd be happy if I didn't have to watch their emotes either.  I love to pvp in these games.  I just don't want to listen to/read the rants of 13 year olds while I do it. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #9239 on: August 17, 2011, 03:43:31 PM

Yet another reason I don't PvP in MMOs.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: