Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 11:35:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Vanguard is live. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vanguard is live.  (Read 130953 times)
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #280 on: February 05, 2007, 07:58:03 AM

Just to make it final. I backed up my VG folder yesterday to an external harddrive. 17Gb after launch patch.

I also put some more initial impressions in the Vanguard - FIGHT! thread.

I have never played WoW.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: March 21, 2014, 01:12:48 PM

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #282 on: March 21, 2014, 01:23:31 PM

That's only about 2 years too late.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #283 on: March 21, 2014, 01:29:49 PM

Closest thing to old EQ.  Great dungeon crawls, big time commitments, great class diversity.  I only made it level 21, though.

I have never played WoW.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #284 on: March 21, 2014, 06:19:05 PM

It was either go F2P or shut it down.

It will get a bunch of players in to look around - and the trial area is quite good - but I'm not sure many will stick around.

Also, it's good to know that "Vanguard-loving devs" exist, although I'm sure it is more of a case of "pay cheque-loving devs".

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: March 21, 2014, 06:57:07 PM

Should have happened years ago. Once theres only a handful of developers left on the title there's no expenses or forward progress to justify keeping it subscription only. You're not going to build traction or volume so the title just ages and shrinks.

Though I guess this is also part of their dreams of "Station Pass" being a sensible mechanism have faded.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 08:45:22 AM by Kageru »

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #286 on: March 22, 2014, 07:22:14 AM

I see the December update relaxed the corpse run mechanic.  Cannot believe it took that long. Wow.

I have never played WoW.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: March 22, 2014, 07:56:15 AM

I see the December update relaxed the corpse run mechanic.  Cannot believe it took that long. Wow.

It was a game that was supposed to keep "The Vision" alive and well into the 21st century.  I think we can safely say that "The Vision" is now dead.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: March 22, 2014, 08:15:40 AM

I always like playing this game for the free 10 levels or whatever the Trial Island is.  I still believe that to this day, this game has the best Trinity based class design in the industry.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: March 22, 2014, 08:45:16 AM

It also had the most ridiculous band of "make your game just like vanguard and it will be a huge success" fanboys I have ever seen. The cognitive dissonance with them was appalling.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: March 22, 2014, 10:06:35 AM

The best thing for Vanguard is to just let it die. It deserves a peaceful death. Take it out back and bury it next to Brad McQuaid's vision.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #291 on: March 22, 2014, 10:17:41 AM

I always like playing this game for the free 10 levels or whatever the Trial Island is.  I still believe that to this day, this game has the best Trinity based class design in the industry.

I have to agree. My psionicist character was the most fun "crowd control" class iteration I have ever experienced. Great CC with decent dps to help when it was time to burn down the boss fast.

I have never played WoW.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: March 22, 2014, 11:04:38 AM

If I was a Vanguard dev, first thing I'd do is change the basic font they use for everything to something else.

Worst font ever.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: March 22, 2014, 11:08:25 AM

The concept of a separate defensive target window was great too. It was such a simple change that opened up a lot of possibilities for classes with support abilities.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: March 22, 2014, 12:30:40 PM

Three words about best class design ever: Blood Mage, Disciple.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: March 23, 2014, 12:28:39 AM

Yeah, they should have done that shit back in 2012.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #296 on: March 23, 2014, 01:09:29 AM

Vanguard going F2P has apparently screwed up the time-space continuum.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #297 on: March 23, 2014, 09:29:25 AM

WITNESS THE REVENGE OF ARADUNE! PREPARE FOR YOU'RE DOOM!!!!

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #298 on: March 23, 2014, 09:37:08 AM

Back in 2012 that would of concerned me.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: March 23, 2014, 11:47:37 AM

It's hard to believe that back in 2012 "would of" was considered ungrammatical!
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #300 on: March 24, 2014, 02:48:00 PM

your

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #301 on: March 27, 2012, 02:24:27 PM

Did this game ever become good servicable not terrible? I know it wasn't until December of last year that they removed corpse runs.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #302 on: March 27, 2012, 02:57:56 PM

Did this game ever become good servicable not terrible? I know it wasn't until December of last year that they removed corpse runs.

I played it a bit last year. It runs better on today's machines, which turns it into a playable MMO where you can crank the settings up and see the world they were trying to make. The starting island is excellent, as people have said, and there are some sexy ideas, like the way bards work. Other than that, it's a too-big, empty, complex MMO that now feels old-fashioned. If you want to sink a lot of time into a deep, old, empty MMO it's probably the best choice. You can grind all the way up, build your SWG-style house and put your stuff in it, and take in the glorious vistas of a huge world. I just don't know anyone that would do that in an aged game, and there's your population problem.

To mix it up a little, I started in one of the traditional starting areas instead of the newbie island. Never saw anyone else and I never would have, due to the scale of the world. I only saw a couple of people on /who. I don't think F2P will fix that.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 03:02:31 PM by Tale »
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: March 27, 2012, 06:44:35 PM

Vanguard was the game that made me realise how important expansion is. If the game is effectively stagnant, no existing content will be fleshed out and little new content added, then the logic of leveling a character pretty much vanishes.

An MMO at best is a story told over time.

- Simond
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #304 on: March 27, 2012, 10:34:39 PM

An MMO at best is a story told over time.

I like that and it should be in a sig.
Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: March 28, 2012, 10:46:58 AM

"at best" or "at its best"?

The first is a dismissive comparison about something's limitations, the second a description of peak condition.

An MMO is at best a graphical chatroom laid on top of a badly-designed single player game.
An MMO at its best provides millions of people with the experience of a life worth living.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 10:48:37 AM by Severian »
Ubvman
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: April 01, 2012, 11:43:06 PM

Since I am not too up to date on Vanguard.

Is it still a "forced to group to get anything done" game? Because if you are still forced to group to level up, I'm surprised that it managed to last this long. Everquest 1 could do it because by the time they ran out of new noob players, they could rely on their old addicts subscriber base to maintain the overhead costs of keeping the servers running.

Solo play advancement is WoW's breakthrough.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #307 on: April 02, 2012, 07:10:19 AM

You can solo in Vanguard up to a point.  That point used to be the low 20s.  I don't know what has changed post 2009, but it can only have gotten easier.  That said, the best part of Vanguard is the combat dynamics with a group.  The class design is excellent in this regard.  The few dungeons I explored were really fun.  You just needed at least 3 hours of uninterrupted play to really push down into them.

I have never played WoW.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: April 13, 2012, 08:37:50 AM

I always thought the dungeon design was pretty shitty and simple, but then again I only did a few low level ones.  Some bugbear cave and some Tsang oriental palace thingy.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: April 13, 2012, 06:54:32 PM

I did some of the mid-level ones... they were half baked. Endless halls and caverns with a light sprinkling of mobs and what looked like interesting features or named but weren't. Leading up to a final boss area which was almost universally camped by some high level so you could just trudge on back. The lack of design meaning the challenge level was firmly stuck at "tedious".

I was always impressed at how many art assets were expended to support so little gameplay.

- Simond
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #310 on: April 15, 2012, 10:22:28 AM

I loved Vanguard's art. I've never felt so lonely in a game tho. Not in a good, romantic ennui way that one would feel in older MMOs of yore, trekking around the rocks of Lavastorm among the wurms. More in a 'woah, there's a lot of entirely pointless landmass here I have to slog through'.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: April 15, 2012, 02:40:43 PM

In retrospect, I think about all the hype this game generated, the "return of the Vision", and the falling-flat-on-their-face launch and post-launch support.

I then compare all this to SWTOR.  While SWTOR seems to be fairing a bit better, I can't help but see the irony.  SWTOR is to WoW what Vanguard was to EQ; you can try to imitate, but unless you can exactly duplicate the same game as it stands at the launch of your game AND THEN offer stuff that goes above and beyond what the original hasn't/can't, while at the same time being able to support all of your customers with a well-tested client and good customer/technical support, you're gonna have a pretty steep hill/cliff-side to climb to success.  Pray that you can keep it together without loosing too many subscribers/team members, and you might just live to see the end.

Vanguard may still be here, and they reached the mountain top, but what do they have to show for it in regards to subscriber numbers and moving the genre forward?  Now ask the same of SWTOR.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 02:44:16 PM by luckton »

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: April 15, 2012, 02:43:06 PM

Vanguard is better than SWTOR. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: April 15, 2012, 11:07:26 PM

In retrospect, I think about all the hype this game generated, the "return of the Vision", and the falling-flat-on-their-face launch and post-launch support.

I then compare all this to SWTOR.  While SWTOR seems to be fairing a bit better, I can't help but see the irony.  SWTOR is to WoW what Vanguard was to EQ; you can try to imitate, but unless you can exactly duplicate the same game as it stands at the launch of your game AND THEN offer stuff that goes above and beyond what the original hasn't/can't, while at the same time being able to support all of your customers with a well-tested client and good customer/technical support, you're gonna have a pretty steep hill/cliff-side to climb to success.  Pray that you can keep it together without loosing too many subscribers/team members, and you might just live to see the end.

Vanguard may still be here, and they reached the mountain top, but what do they have to show for it in regards to subscriber numbers and moving the genre forward?  Now ask the same of SWTOR.

How well Vanguard imitated EQ or what their design goals were is entirely meaningless because the game was an unplayable technical mess when it launched. They could have set out to make the friendliest, most accessible MMO ever with Vanguard and it still would have bombed.

I wouldn't say Vanguard 'reached the mountain top' either. The servers are a ghost town and the game is only playable at this point due to new consumer hardware making up for piss-poor optimization.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #314 on: April 16, 2012, 08:54:07 AM

Sp pretty much the successor to EQ1 in every single way.  why so serious?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Vanguard is live.  
Jump to: