Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 04:06:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Pretend you have $$$... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pretend you have $$$...  (Read 46629 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #210 on: February 22, 2007, 05:13:28 PM

After getting my email describing the problem in detail (as opposed to the one-line summary of "it don't work" that their online form gave me room for), they're shipping me a replacement.  Not as good as if there were a magic button I could push to make it all work, but about as good as I expected.   smiley

And at least the next time around I'll know to install the CPU cooler bracket BEFORE screwing the motherboard to the standoffs.   tongue

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #211 on: February 22, 2007, 05:18:21 PM

Are you sure it's the MB though? (Assuming that's what you are replacing). You can just go down to Fry's and buy all the "substitute" parts you need (e.g. another PS and video card) and return them after you figure out which part is actually not working.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #212 on: February 22, 2007, 06:02:35 PM

we need a separate hw thread

I also want to build new box and need feedback
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #213 on: February 22, 2007, 06:03:19 PM

So create a new thread.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #214 on: February 22, 2007, 06:15:27 PM

You know that big Asus HSF unit that was being passed around here a bit ago? The big tower one that glows blue?

Yeah, I set up a new system for a buddy using that thing. Trying to install the backplate After bolting down the MB is decidedly NOT FUN. It took two of us to do it, but we managed to do it.

I was amazed how fucking quiet the thing is. It's not even a whisper, and even under load the air it blows out is noticeably cool.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #215 on: February 22, 2007, 07:06:45 PM

Are you sure it's the MB though? (Assuming that's what you are replacing). You can just go down to Fry's and buy all the "substitute" parts you need (e.g. another PS and video card) and return them after you figure out which part is actually not working.

I'm about 95% sure it's the MB, and the Intel guy must be pretty sure too or he wouldn't be shipping me a new one.

I hate buying stuff with the intent of returning it.  I don't know why.  But I suspect if I tried it I'd end up not returning it and then be out the money.   tongue

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #216 on: February 22, 2007, 07:08:34 PM

You know that big Asus HSF unit that was being passed around here a bit ago? The big tower one that glows blue?

Yeah, I set up a new system for a buddy using that thing. Trying to install the backplate After bolting down the MB is decidedly NOT FUN. It took two of us to do it, but we managed to do it.

I was amazed how fucking quiet the thing is. It's not even a whisper, and even under load the air it blows out is noticeably cool.

I'm impressed you got it installed with the MB in place.  I just bit the bullet and unscrewed the MB after I realized my error.   tongue

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: February 23, 2007, 06:51:03 AM

Took the plunge and got a new monitor.  I had an old 19" CRT (6 years now?  More?) and tried using my HD TV for a bit but decided I really wanted just a dedicated monitor for the computer.

Ended up picking this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116060 (though it was 30 dollars less when I ordered it.)

Pretty happy with it so far, Oblivion look awesome on it.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #218 on: February 23, 2007, 08:57:49 AM

and even under load the air it blows out is noticeably cool.

Could mean that the heat is not getting out of your CPU and you are due for a meltdown.  If you have a sensor, I'd check the CPU temp.  Of course, I'm somewhat paranoid.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Strazos

Reply #219 on: February 23, 2007, 12:23:12 PM

Nope, this was almost a month ago, and I have not been told that the guy has had any problems with the system. From what I know, he runs CAD stuff a lot, also Company of Heroes and Medieval 2. We also ran Doom III on max settings on the machine before I left, with no problems.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #220 on: February 26, 2007, 09:40:07 AM

I have that thing. It works REALLY good. But your right, installing the backplate is OH MY GOD FUCKING HORRIBLE. The instructions where terrible, I got to step 2, and then just had to wing it cause the instructions didnt match the hardware at all. Once I got it working, its quiet, cool, and beautiful.
Strazos

Reply #221 on: February 26, 2007, 10:58:40 AM

Or how about that thing they call a "sticker" in the instructions? It looked like a fucking pad to me, with a plastic covering. I had to rip the thing off, and analyze the plate and compare it to the picture to determine that is what they meant me to do.

"Oh, well...Now, it does kind of look like the plate in the picture, I guess. And I guess bolting a piece of metal to the MB is not a problem anyway..."

Fear the Backstab!
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #222 on: February 26, 2007, 12:05:07 PM

Yeah, that "sticker" part is where I got stuck. There was no possible way to remove it, so I just left it on.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #223 on: February 26, 2007, 04:49:32 PM

I pried the sticker off, which seemed to match the pictures in the instructions, and it didn't seem like it was going to fit under the motherboard with it on anyway, but I was thoroughly confused by the whole thing -- why was the sticker on there in the first place?

I'm also wondering now if the stupid backplate was the cause of my motherboard problems.  When I took the motherboard out to RMA it, I found that the backplate had gotten itself wedged into some of the pointy metallic bits on the back of the board.  That doesn't seem good.   undecided  Next time around I'm going to attach the backplate to the board first thing and make sure everything looks kosher before going any further.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #224 on: February 26, 2007, 04:59:20 PM

Suspect that was the problem right there. RMA it anyway; can't hurt to start off with a fresh board.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #225 on: February 26, 2007, 05:20:44 PM

Yup.  Just wondering now how to make sure it doesn't happen again.  I could maybe try putting the sticker between the backplate and the motherboard (on the opposite side of the backplate that it was originally stuck to)... it's squishy, so it might compress itself down when the motherboard gets screwed in.

Blah.   tongue  Whose clever idea was it for that thing to be metal, anyway?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #226 on: February 26, 2007, 05:35:35 PM

Usually for those "under" the motherboard braces the padded side goes against motherboard and some have a sticky surface (covered with a piece of plastic as shipped) so you don't have to hold it in place while trying to get the screws into it. I usually just leave the plastic on there since it makes it easier to remove the brace if I need to in the future.

Strazos

Reply #227 on: February 26, 2007, 10:35:02 PM

Oh, was that plastic piece the actual "sticker"? When I think of stickers, I think of shit that Actually Comes Off. I thought I might need the "padding," so I tried to get that piece of plastic off...

No fucking way it was coming off. The whole padding/sticker thing came off the plate pretty easily, and the uncovered part of the plate had a "finished" look, which I would think would not be neccessary if the padding or whatever was to stay on.

Still, trying to line up the screws and mount the thing with the MB mounted to the plate was....interesting.

Fear the Backstab!
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #228 on: February 26, 2007, 10:58:41 PM

Might it have been insulation, without which a short occured?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Strazos

Reply #229 on: February 26, 2007, 11:08:19 PM

No idea. There have been no problems with the system I set up (that I know of), and the instructions appeared to show a plate with no "padding."

Fear the Backstab!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #230 on: February 26, 2007, 11:08:38 PM

Oh, was that plastic piece the actual "sticker"? When I think of stickers, I think of shit that Actually Comes Off. I thought I might need the "padding," so I tried to get that piece of plastic off...

No fucking way it was coming off. The whole padding/sticker thing came off the plate pretty easily, and the uncovered part of the plate had a "finished" look, which I would think would not be neccessary if the padding or whatever was to stay on.

Still, trying to line up the screws and mount the thing with the MB mounted to the plate was....interesting.
I don't have this heat sink so I can only make an educated guess about this but going by this picture:

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/35-101-002-05.jpg

That white thing on the brace on the left looks to be your standard plastic/Teflon coated paper which peels off to reveal a sticky pad that's stuck onto the metal brace itself. Peeling off the pad as well means you now have metal on metal contact with the contacts and traces on the underside of your motherboard. Now if that brace doesn't have a pad then I don't know what that paper is there for. If the white paper didn't want to come off I would've just left it on (which is what I normally do anyways like I said above).

Here's a more obvious example of that peel off paper from the Ninja 1000P.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #231 on: February 26, 2007, 11:50:15 PM

That all makes sense.  It completely contradicts what's in the manual, though.   tongue  The manual says "peel off the sticker" and then has an illustration showing the bracket being mounted upside down and padding-less (with the "unpadded" side facing up into the motherboard so that the padding wouldn't have functioned as insulation even if you'd left it on). 

Fortunately, I was suspicious enough of the manual that I saved the "sticker" just in case it turned out to be wrong.

Strazos

Reply #232 on: February 27, 2007, 09:17:27 AM

I don't have this heat sink so I can only make an educated guess about this but going by this picture:

That white thing on the brace on the left looks to be your standard plastic/Teflon coated paper which peels off to reveal a sticky pad that's stuck onto the metal brace itself. Peeling off the pad as well means you now have metal on metal contact with the contacts and traces on the underside of your motherboard. Now if that brace doesn't have a pad then I don't know what that paper is there for. If the white paper didn't want to come off I would've just left it on (which is what I normally do anyways like I said above).

But it wasn't paper at all - it was a thick piece of plastic. And try as I might, I could not remove the "padding" from the plastic.

I just followed the manual. Stupid manual. I'll say something if I ever hear of a problem concerning the system. It's been about a month, and no problems have cropped up.

Fear the Backstab!
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #233 on: February 27, 2007, 04:11:07 PM

But it wasn't paper at all - it was a thick piece of plastic. And try as I might, I could not remove the "padding" from the plastic.

I just followed the manual. Stupid manual. I'll say something if I ever hear of a problem concerning the system. It's been about a month, and no problems have cropped up.

Yeah, I had the same problem. I ended up leaving the padding and the "sticker" on the metal plate and just screwing the whole thing to the bottom of the mobo. So far no problems.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Pretend you have $$$...  
Jump to: