Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 02:12:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Rage trailer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rage trailer  (Read 8910 times)
Velorath
Contributor

on: August 14, 2009, 11:27:45 AM

So looks like the first trailer for Fallout 4 Rage is up.  Think id might be jumping on the post-apocalyptic bandwagon a little bit late here, but the graphics look amazing at least, and vehicular combat could be pretty fun.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 11:30:33 AM

For a long time, I've felt this will be the best game id ever made, and probably will make (this trailer only further confirmed that). It's amazing how much better such a world looks when the artists are talented and don't have to put up with Bethesda face creator crap.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 11:42:40 AM

Holy crap this looks cool.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 12:30:36 PM

Wow.  I was going to give Fallout 3 another try, but maybe I'll just wait for this so I can cross those long stretches of wasteland IN A CAR.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 12:59:32 PM

games are so cool.
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 01:10:13 PM

Looks more like Fallout than Fallout 3.

Reasoning: Fallout was (for me) all about the memorable characters and locations. Fallout 3 had very little to speak of in the memorable front. It was wholly generic and samey. Rage looks to have the memorable locations and characters front in spades.

Also.  Pure shooter? If so seems like a waste of a lot of hard work for preset dialog and circle strafing.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 02:18:17 PM

Fallout 3 is a great game, but it certainly could have used a little spice.  This appears to have that missing "oomph".  Is there a release date, or did I miss it somewhere?
Jobu
Terracotta Army

Lord Buttrot

Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 05:45:28 PM

It's amazing how much better such a world looks when the artists are talented and don't have to put up with Bethesda face creator crap.

According to the Kotaku interviews, this guy is their art director. His influence and skill seem to be having a great effect on everything. I think he's one of the better modern digital artists out there, but I realize these things can be subjective.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 06:04:27 PM

He's a relatively recent hire though (Aprilish 2009). So most of that stuff was done before he got there. This is the original trailer shown at QuakeCon 2 years ago where it was announced and you can see that the "style" of the world was already developed back then. There's still plenty of time for him to put his influence on the game, though, as its not going to be released this year (CEO announcement) and id games always have vague release dates ("when it's done").

ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 06:15:30 PM

"Last Ark Buried" =  Yahoo!.  I will never tire of the post-apocalyptic setting the way I tired of WWII.

Long live the Thunderdome.
Tige
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 06:49:07 PM

Why do they have to add those mutants jumping 100 feet at a time?  No better than dogs in other games.  Hate them with a passion.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 11:15:40 PM

Hm. I think I shall purchase this delightful looking piece of software.

Damn, I gotta finish F3 so I can play Borderlands so I can play this..

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 08:45:54 AM

John Carmack, co-founder and technical wizard of the developer, says the company doesn’t plan to support dedicated servers for the multiplayer component of “Rage,” id’s upcoming new action game.

“It’s not cast in stone yet, but at this point no, we don’t think we will have dedicated servers,” he says.

http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scene/2009/11/dedicated-servers-and-rage-news-you-probably-dont-want-to-hear.html?noonline=1
 cry
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 08:47:39 AM

Bobby Kotick is an asshole. Of course, it's hard to care about id multiplayer.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 06:06:17 PM

E3 presentation.

http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/play/76364/PC/Rage/Gameplay/E3-2010-IGN-Live-Gameplay-Presentation/Flash-Video

It looks great. It seems to retain that rigid "Id feel" that I like. Still, I get the feeling they've been too ambitious and that it'll end up unfocused as an experience, much like Doom 3 did, because I don't think this is a kind of game the old guard of Id is particularly comfortable or familiar with. Gaming trends seem to have outpaced Id in many ways.

Still, if it can be something like Far Cry 2 with more interesting mechanics, it'll still be game of the year for me.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 20, 2010, 07:03:41 PM

These people made doom and quake so they know a thing or two about shooters

awesome, for real can't stop laughing......

edit:honestly, this game just doesn't impress me. Pure shooter? Really? Such a fucking waste.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 07:09:31 PM by Lakov_Sanite »

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 20, 2010, 09:04:18 PM

honestly, this game just doesn't impress me. Pure shooter? Really? Such a fucking waste.

This.

Pure FPS is not a good medium for delivering story-driven content.

I play FPS for replayability factor of competing against other players. I play story-driven (RPG) to interact and experience story behind it. I get easily bored killing mindless AIs in FPS setting.

For me Oblivion and Jade Empire combat detracted from the story, I wanted less of it and not more. I never finished BioShock2, got tired of killing countless zombies.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 09:18:00 PM by sinij »

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #17 on: June 20, 2010, 09:20:50 PM

I like id, and I usually like their games, but this looks too much like Borderlands.   sad
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 20, 2010, 09:27:59 PM

Yea man.  That's the same thing I thought.  It's not a bad thing.  Borderlands looked great.  But I didn't see anything other than a Borderlands-esque art direction worth grabbing my dick over.

AKA Gyoza
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #19 on: June 20, 2010, 09:38:48 PM

I saw some IGN  interview  with a producer going on and on about how original the concept of the game was. All while showing scenery that looked straight out of Borderlands. From the buggy to the building structures, etc.

That said, if it plays well, and the story doesn't totally blow chunks, I'm in.

Edit: found the interview
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 09:44:39 PM by Engels »

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 12:05:02 AM

Borderlands looks like fucking clownshoes compared to that.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 21, 2010, 12:23:03 AM

It still looked like the same style. If you want that style of game but not a pure shooter, play Borderlands or Fallout.  Ohhhhh, I see.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #22 on: June 21, 2010, 12:25:17 AM

You're kidding right? The end of Borderlands may have been a letdown but ID has proven time and again they know fuck all about story.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 12:30:28 AM by Surlyboi »

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 21, 2010, 12:27:38 AM

wut?

Perhaps you're on a plane of enlightenment so far higher than I, that you can somehow see visual discrepancies so much more clearly and therefore claim to make that distinction.  But really from down here where us plebes sit, no, it looks pretty much the same.  It's not a bad thing.  It was the dune buggies that pushed it over the precipice to obvious-land.

AKA Gyoza
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #24 on: June 21, 2010, 01:16:48 AM

awesome, for real at the producer talking about the unique look of the game.

I just showed a chunk of the video to my wife, who asked me if it's a new Borderlands coming out. (We played BL co-op). Looks good, but then, I liked BL. Not what I'd call unique, though.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 21, 2010, 04:00:34 AM

I'd say it's more a Fallout + Borderlands blend.  I see visual elements of both.  Still, not unique, even in story.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 21, 2010, 04:25:25 AM

It looks Post-Apocalypsish which basically looks the same almost everywhere since at least Mad Max.

The story sounds quite unoriginal, too. And might take itself too seriously. But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt since I used to love the genre that much.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #27 on: June 21, 2010, 04:36:25 AM

I'd say it's more a Fallout + Borderlands blend.  I see visual elements of both.  Still, not unique, even in story.

Funny thing is, all three games were first shown in 2007.  Rage is just the last one to cross the finish line.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: June 21, 2010, 04:37:54 AM

It looks like an Id game more than anything. Murky colours and a realistic but slightly chubby aesthetic. (Id characters have always looked short because of this.) It goes all the way back to Doom.

Seriously though, why the hell are you so hung up on Willits using the word "unique?" It's used to pitch pretty much every single game ever made. Unique doesn't mean "unique like a snowflake" in any context relevant to the discussion.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #29 on: June 21, 2010, 05:28:24 AM

More importantly though it looked better than Borderlands in that the enemies seemed much more dynamic and fast moving and therefore dangerous. Also I think in that video it almost looked like we saw more enemy variety then was in all of Borderlands.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: June 21, 2010, 06:37:28 AM

Technology wise, from what I can tell, Rage is a beginning offering for a new platform/engine where FO3 and Borderlands are pretty much the end of theirs.  The tech wizardry behind Rage is pretty impressive.

You probably will be seeing Rage Engine projects for years to come.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #31 on: June 21, 2010, 06:41:25 AM

Seriously though, why the hell are you so hung up on Willits using the word "unique?" It's used to pitch pretty much every single game ever made. Unique doesn't mean "unique like a snowflake" in any context relevant to the discussion.

Because it's very clearly not unique. Especially in the context he was using it. Regardless, I'm sure I'll end up buying it, well, unless the DRM scheme is hideous, or the game turns out to be as much fun as Doom3.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #32 on: June 21, 2010, 08:37:02 AM

Unimpressing video. All I see here is some Fallout 3, some Half Life 2, some Borderlands. It totally feels like too little too late. We'll see how it plays.

Yes, I am sure they HAVE to repeat the word unique as much as they can in an effort to convince themselves they aren't terribly late to the party and wearing the same costume of a bunch of other guests. Good for them they are Id, the popular dude.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 08:39:14 AM by Falconeer »

Elerion
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 21, 2010, 08:43:06 AM

So... uhm... I went and looked up the last id game I bought: Quake 4.

Wikipedia says it has single player. I never noticed. I guess I thought it was like Q3 so I just went online instead. Was it good? Was it better than D3, which I absolutely hated?
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: June 21, 2010, 09:16:33 AM

Quake 4 was developed by Raven. Id only supported (and lent their name to the box front.) The single player was well made but lacklustre, it was much like the recent Wolfenstein in that regard. The multiplayer was an updated Quake 3 (which has been asked for) but with thrice the system requirements. I think the consensus was that Q4 had better single player than D3, eventhough I didn't agree at the time.

Yes, Id are popular, because they were one of the last independent studios around and they have the kind of raw talent that impresses PC gamers with a dash of rockstar developers thrown in and a genious lead programmer. They're relics, but like all relics they are very good at what they do, even if it happens to be out of fashion.

Incidentally, Carmack has always been opposed to these long development cycles and an adherent for functionally simplistic games, like Quake 3, and I agree with him. If they had kept refining what they did in multiplayer between Q1->Q2->Q3 with a two-year interval, they would have released some mighty fine e-sport shooters.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Rage trailer  
Jump to: