Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 05:40:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 123 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  (Read 1200559 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2100 on: April 14, 2011, 04:08:41 PM

BTW I believe you can delete the screenshots associated with those recent BioWare save game files without breaking anything (test on an unimportant save first.) Depending on your settings those files can take up a LOT of space.

EDIT:

And if you want to get into more potentially dangerous fucking around, here is a method I have not tested for relocating your Users directory off of the C: drive:

http://lifehacker.com/#!5467758/move-the-users-directory-in-windows-7

It appears to not be for the faint hearted.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 04:12:19 PM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #2101 on: April 15, 2011, 09:29:36 AM

Ya, moving the entire user directory structure to another drive and then creating a hard link from the C to the new user residence seems doable, but potentially problematic in the future. I might be a bit of a chicken here, but how many odd configurations have gone south when MS puts out an update that doesn't take into account the hacks you've had working for years, and you wake up one morning with a system that reports being broken?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2102 on: April 15, 2011, 03:42:41 PM

Which is one of the minor reasons I just make 1 partition on a drive when I install windows. The major reason is simply that I am lazy, of course.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2103 on: April 16, 2011, 05:23:18 AM

Doing that with Windows 7 is shooting yourself in the leg.  With a rocket launcher.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #2104 on: April 16, 2011, 11:10:09 AM

I think CCleaner fucked up some network related part of my registry. Restoring an older registry did not work.
This is what my (paraphrasing here, cause I run the German version obviously) "Network" screen looks like...

I run Windows 7 (64bit) home, reinstalled the network driver from scratch and now I am out of ideas.

Internet still works, though.

Haelp!

edit: Sound seems to be fucked too.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 11:34:44 AM by Der Helm »

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2105 on: April 16, 2011, 12:27:07 PM

Go to search box, type : cmd

Right click on the little CMD icon, select "Run as Administrator"

in the command prompt type: netsh winsock reset

Will require a reboot, but that will rebuild the network stack on any Microsoft OS XP SP2 or later.

Might solve your network problem.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #2106 on: April 16, 2011, 01:47:47 PM

Thanks, but that did nothing for me.

I have the feeling that my problem are motherboard related, since both sound and LAN are onboard.

I got THIS model. Now I can't find any Windows 7 drivers anywhere. What the f...  awesome, for real

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2107 on: April 16, 2011, 02:05:45 PM

I got THIS model. Now I can't find any Windows 7 drivers anywhere. What the f...  awesome, for real

Usually, the Vista drivers will work for 7 in a worst case scenario.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #2108 on: April 16, 2011, 04:36:10 PM

Usually, the Vista drivers will work for 7 in a worst case scenario.

So far they don't, I suppose I should use the 64bit drivers if I use Windows 7 (64) ?

fakeedit: Looks like the microsoft support pages are actually helpfull. Apparently there is a programm that scans for missing system files (sfc.exe). Sadly I am at work right now and can't give it a try.

Weird stuff happened, some menue items in the "Systemsteuerung" (System Control Panel ?) would not even respond to clicking them.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #2109 on: April 17, 2011, 12:48:08 AM

Ok, I am home from work now. SFC does not work because of "resource-protection" ?

Aa repair-install does not work, either. Looks like I will have to do a clean install, which would result in a loss of all data on all hard drives if I understood the process right.  Heartbreak

Any other suggestions before I pull the trigger ? Going to get a few hours sleep beforehand.  swamp poop

vex
Terracotta Army

Smock, turban, latex gloves and rubber slippers.

Reply #2110 on: April 17, 2011, 03:36:19 AM

You shouldn't lose everything on a clean install.  You will have to reinstall things but unless you format you shouldn't lose anything. 

If your destined for the reinstall route try doing an upgrade from your windows 7 to windows 7 first.  I think that is still possible as it's one of the ways to do a clean install with an upgrade disk and have the licensing work.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #2111 on: April 17, 2011, 04:26:48 AM

If Windows 7 is anything like Vista a repair-install won't work unless you uninstall any Service Packs that might have gone in since you first installed Windows.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #2112 on: April 17, 2011, 07:01:50 AM

If Windows 7 is anything like Vista a repair-install won't work unless you uninstall any Service Packs that might have gone in since you first installed Windows.
Which I can't, because the SP1 installation seems to be broken as well.  What the fuck did I do. :D

Actually this is the perfect timing for me, I have to finish a paper till Wednesday, this way Gaming won't distract me until I am done.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

On a related note, microsoft support pages said that registry "cleaners" are "snakeoil" anyway and do not help with system performance at all. True ?

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #2113 on: April 17, 2011, 08:23:18 AM

Sorta. With windows xp and a machine that's been heavily used for years and years, it will collect a bunch of registry clutter that does hamper performance. CCleaner is free, and does what these 'snake oil' ones claim to do. Registry Mechanic -used- to be a good program, but now is a benign form of malware.

As to the effectiveness of a registry cleaner on Windows 7, I don't have a machine that's gummed up enough to do a comparison, but it wouldn't surprise me if by comparison to XP the impact is less.

One thing that is probably true is that registry cleaners will in all likelihood NOT solve a problem with your computer.

Der Helm, its possible that Windows 7 has the drivers for your card in Windows Updates. During driver installation, when it asks you to locate the drivers, there's a 'check automatic updates' or somesuch that will download a much larger listing of existing drivers. Not sure if you did that yet.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #2114 on: April 17, 2011, 12:39:52 PM

Which I can't, because the SP1 installation seems to be broken as well.  What the fuck did I do. :D

Did you use driversweeper at one point? Older versions really messed up the base Windows 7 causing SP1 install failures.

See: driver sweeper issue thread
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #2115 on: April 18, 2011, 04:13:50 AM

No, that one I did not use. Can't check on the name of the program since I am not at home right now but I THINK it was Glary registry repair.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2116 on: April 18, 2011, 11:00:12 AM

I'm with MS, registry cleaners are useless. (And actively harmful at worst.)

You could try going back to your oldest system restore point, unless you already did.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #2117 on: April 18, 2011, 01:04:31 PM

I'm with MS, registry cleaners are useless. (And actively harmful at worst.)

You could try going back to your oldest system restore point, unless you already did.

No dice, restore points are broken as well.

awesome, for real

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #2118 on: April 18, 2011, 02:09:50 PM

smells of either HD failure or virusy stuff.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2119 on: April 18, 2011, 04:39:33 PM

Yeah, sounds like the nasty rootkit kind of virusy stuff at that.

I say back up any important files you can, and nuke it from orbit.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2120 on: April 19, 2011, 08:08:28 AM

Is there a decent rootkit revealer for windows 7 yet?
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #2121 on: April 19, 2011, 05:55:53 PM

Yeah, sounds like the nasty rootkit kind of virusy stuff at that.

I say back up any important files you can, and nuke it from orbit.
I very much doubt it, shit started hitting the fan while/after I was cleaning out my HD. I was uninstalling programms left and right and (now) I remember that I allowed one registry cleaner to delete some yellow coloured shit. Looking back that was a very dumb idea, looks like there really IS some important stuff hidden in the registry. I have the feeling that I deleted references to a big part of the SYSTEM, SYSTEM32 and SYSTEM64 folders. At least in my limited understand that would explain why big parts of windows simply ceased to function.

I blame being an old school MS DOS user, I am still used to pruning config.sys and autoexec.bat to free up enough memory to start up my games. I am still able to navigate and use  the "MSDOS-interface" when I have to.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2122 on: April 20, 2011, 06:08:27 AM

You could try malwarebytes to see if it's able to repair those registry entries, but otherwise it sounds like it's time to backup and reformat.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2123 on: April 20, 2011, 06:56:44 AM

I blame being an old school MS DOS user, I am still used to pruning config.sys and autoexec.bat to free up enough memory to start up my games. I am still able to navigate and use  the "MSDOS-interface" when I have to.
When I'm tired and not paying attention, I mistakenly enter DOS commands into the BSD cmd line. I also do the opposite and I've run ls -al on my windows cmd line.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2124 on: April 20, 2011, 11:44:15 AM

I am surprised the spam post survived til now - maybe the gambling links in KittyKat's sig there were TOO hidden?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2125 on: April 20, 2011, 11:48:33 AM

They are getting smarter.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2126 on: April 20, 2011, 12:55:13 PM

Almost....self-aware!
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2127 on: April 20, 2011, 04:14:09 PM

Yeah, they copied what I said. And since no one around here reads what I say, it got entirely missed.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2128 on: April 20, 2011, 04:25:52 PM

Almost....self-aware!
So it's a step up from Cloud Dating?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2129 on: April 22, 2011, 10:28:53 AM

If you use powershell on Win, since it's POSIX you can expect `ls` to work.

My wife's computer is still down, I don't have time to repair it.  I am now suspicious that it is a CPU breakage rather than mobo since the new computer I built is doing the exact same thing.  Although I'm really just choosing to suspect the Intel i5 instead of the ASUS P7P55D.  Might me a smart move to RMA whichever one has the shortest warranty first.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2130 on: April 23, 2011, 08:22:52 AM

Didn't you recently have a PSsomething die?  Talk about a bad run of luck with electronics.  Is the power going to your house extremely dirty or something?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2131 on: April 24, 2011, 03:01:11 PM

Actually, now I think it was the eight-year-old power strip behind my AV center.  My TV, though, is just a piece of shit.  Stupid Mitsubishi.

My PC, being a new build, isn't related to the other stuff.  Pretty sure I just got a bad CPU.  My wife's PC, on the other hand, could be the victim of vibration since it's a regular PC on a rolling table.  It's had tons of issues since I built it, though.

In 2010, I did have two PS3 and one 360 die.  I'm blaming this on the power strip.  I don't like the non-60GB PS3 at all.  I really wish that Sony had the online storage last summer since I would have been able to save a lot of things which were destroyed when the first PS3 Slim went tits-up.  I had managed to use a heat gun to get the 60GB PS3 working so I could do a PS3-to-PS3 transfer, which was a bit hairy since I somehow broke the fan in the old one when I disassembled/reassembled it.  After THAT one died, I invoked the warranty and Sony send me a new unit, so some of my saves were lost forever (Demon's Souls, Dragon Age).  Also I had not done a backup for about two months, but now I backup individual saves every time before I shut down the console.  When the 360 died, I bought a new power strip and things have been quiet since then (minus the TV).

The upside is that I have a 360 in the bedroom now.

So far this year, I've only endured a failed ATi 5870 and a broken monitor on my corporate laptop.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #2132 on: April 25, 2011, 03:28:43 PM

Wow, you have lots of things die on you. I've only ever had a 360 die on me about 2 years ago, and it was covered. I had back-to-back Radeon cards die on me (those OEM fans SUCKED), and an old GeForce slip out of the AGP slot while the system was on, shorting it out. Had a LED monitor fritz out a few months back, but I didn't buy it new anyway, and the upgrade was So Worth It.

I guess I've had good luck with electronics, generally.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #2133 on: April 27, 2011, 09:55:38 AM

My GPU (GTX260) is starting to have what I hope are heating issues. NVIDIA monitor software does not give me gpu temp so what do I need to download to keep tabs on my card?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2134 on: April 27, 2011, 10:26:05 AM

I did forget that my 21" LG PC monitor died last December, while I was on a cruise in which all of my luggage was soaked and my wife's $200 silk coat was ruined, and now I have a 26" ASUS.

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 123 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  
Jump to: