Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 12:34:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bioware Austin.. damm more Dragons.. or Lightsabers? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bioware Austin.. damm more Dragons.. or Lightsabers?  (Read 347203 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #840 on: October 21, 2008, 02:19:40 PM

The caption?

"The fights are thrillingly cinematic."

Heh.

Edit: They have a fanfiction forum!
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #841 on: October 21, 2008, 02:19:52 PM

IGN jumped the gun (they're not even inside the theater yet), here it is:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/922/922115p1.html

Four pages to sum up:

"Unfortunately, BioWare's not yet willing to discuss the specifics of combat, exploration or character progression"

awesome, for real
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #842 on: October 21, 2008, 02:21:57 PM

Not sure what to think of the graphics yet. They're definitely trying for WAR-like lo-fi with brighter colors (and more interesting environments). Have we confirmed this is a PC title at all?
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #843 on: October 21, 2008, 02:23:09 PM

huh -- PvP as RvR??  see http://www.swtor.com/ for "Choose a side: Sith Empire or Galactic Republic"

Play Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ and forge your own Star Wars™ saga in a story-driven massively-multiplayer online game from BioWare and LucasArts. Explore an age thousands of years before the rise of Darth Vader when war between the Old Republic and the Sith Empire divides the galaxy.

Choose to be a Jedi, a Sith, or from a variety of other classic Star Wars roles, and make decisions which define your personal story and determine your path down the light or dark side of the Force. Along the way you will befriend courageous companions who will fight at your side or possibly betray you based on your actions. Together, you will battle enemies in dynamic Star Wars combat and team up with other players to overcome incredible challenges.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 02:24:54 PM by Soln »
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #844 on: October 21, 2008, 02:24:04 PM

Hmmm. Story-based MMO with different content for each class. Tortage on steroids? (Stim-packs?)

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
schild
Administrator

Reply #845 on: October 21, 2008, 02:25:42 PM

Hmmm. Story-based MMO with different content for each class. Tortage on steroids? (Stim-packs?)

Guaranteed to be scaled back or watered down or recycled. That's just a silly promise to make.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #846 on: October 21, 2008, 02:26:22 PM

huh -- PvP as RvR??  see http://www.swtor.com/ for "Choose a side: Sith Empire or Galactic Republic"

Play Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ and forge your own Star Wars™ saga in a story-driven massively-multiplayer online game from BioWare and LucasArts. Explore an age thousands of years before the rise of Darth Vader when war between the Old Republic and the Sith Empire divides the galaxy.

Choose to be a Jedi, a Sith, or from a variety of other classic Star Wars roles, and make decisions which define your personal story and determine your path down the light or dark side of the Force. Along the way you will befriend courageous companions who will fight at your side or possibly betray you based on your actions. Together, you will battle enemies in dynamic Star Wars combat and team up with other players to overcome incredible challenges.

I guess RVR PVP is the exact term the guy used  ACK!

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #847 on: October 21, 2008, 02:27:26 PM

from live blog:

2:25 Scooter:  Greg is dropping mad MMO acronyms like RVR PVP etc

2:26 Scooter:  But he's talking about a game for KOTOR fans who don't play MMOs
  Ohhhhh, I see.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #848 on: October 21, 2008, 02:28:21 PM

Did someone already create the SOE automated response generator? Probably something like "We appreciate and respect blah blah blah their game and our game different communities and player motivations..." ;-)

Back to graphics, those would appear to be inworld shots given that the game is playable. Come to think of it, it does bear some resemblance to the new Cartoon Network series.

Long and short: everything we guessed a Bioware KOTOR MMO would be: heavily story-based, set in a good time period, much more traditional RPG (so therefore probably diku), basically the SW MMO that hindsight dictates should have launched.

Gameplay is reading a bit like Guild Wars. Even IGN mentioned companions (NPC sidekicks). And the idea of separate AoC-like origin stories with periods of multiplayer goodness seems very Bioware-ish.

As to RvR PvP? Yea right. I'll believe that only when it's actually playable.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #849 on: October 21, 2008, 02:28:56 PM

from live blog:

2:25 Scooter:  Greg is dropping mad MMO acronyms like RVR PVP etc

2:26 Scooter:  But he's talking about a game for KOTOR fans who don't play MMOs
  Ohhhhh, I see.

I foresee no server population problems at all with the Dark Side vs. Light side.

Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #850 on: October 21, 2008, 02:30:07 PM

A single player game where you occasionally interact with other players? is'nt that called WoW ?  why so serious?
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #851 on: October 21, 2008, 02:31:01 PM

I foresee no server population problems at all with the Dark Side vs. Light side.

Nerf witches of dathomar.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #852 on: October 21, 2008, 02:35:01 PM

A single player game where you occasionally interact with other players? is'nt that called WoW ?  why so serious?

Is that a bad thing?  Ohhhhh, I see.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #853 on: October 21, 2008, 02:35:55 PM

Classes.

"I feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced."

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #854 on: October 21, 2008, 02:40:17 PM

Again, is that a bad thing?

You don't do experimental quasi-skills based or other inventive methods on big IP.

Also, 1up liveblog answered my earlier question:
Scooter:  AHA, he just talks about how the art is designed to run across ALL range of PCs
schild
Administrator

Reply #855 on: October 21, 2008, 02:41:27 PM

"Running on everything" is pretty much the excuse for bland art. It's a pretty great one ever since WoW.

Still, total BS.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #856 on: October 21, 2008, 02:42:29 PM

Scooter:  there will be PvP, raids, etc.

"I feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced."

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #857 on: October 21, 2008, 02:43:51 PM

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/starwarstheoldrepublic/video/6199708

interviews.  "We're NOT going into details about schedule..."
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #858 on: October 21, 2008, 02:45:19 PM

"Running on everything" is pretty much the excuse for bland art. It's a pretty great one ever since WoW.

Still, total BS.

Its Stylized!!!
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #859 on: October 21, 2008, 02:46:48 PM

You don't do experimental quasi-skills based or other inventive methods on big IP.
Unless you're SOE/Raph Koster/retarded.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Zane0
Terracotta Army

Reply #860 on: October 21, 2008, 02:47:38 PM

"Story-based MMO" is stupid and doesn't make any sense. It isn't leveraging the medium in any way -- it's trying to cash in. Bioware doesn't write a good story in any case. I anticipate a lot of face-palming with every new announcement.

Sigh.

Still excited, of course.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #861 on: October 21, 2008, 02:47:52 PM

Still, total BS.

Its Stylized!!!

Bland art != Stylized.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #862 on: October 21, 2008, 02:49:08 PM

Actually, that is the reason you don't do it. But it took them trying to prove it. Ends and means and whatnot.

2:46 Scooter:  "what about the future of SWG?"
2:46 Scooter:  "today we're talking about old republic"
awesome, for real
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #863 on: October 21, 2008, 02:50:21 PM

Some people enjoyed that version ya know.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #864 on: October 21, 2008, 02:53:53 PM

Ugly as balls.
Everyone said the same about WoW.  I'm not sure alpha shots and not seeing it in play is a good time to judge.

To be fair it's not Guild Wars doing more with less, and I can deal with lesser graphics if it's a good game and they focus as much on story as they were saying.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #865 on: October 21, 2008, 02:54:42 PM

Bioware doesn't write a good story in any case.

What the fuck? Seriously.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #866 on: October 21, 2008, 02:55:21 PM

SWG would have been perfectly fine as "Generic worldy sci-fi mmog". It sucked as a Star Wars game.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
schild
Administrator

Reply #867 on: October 21, 2008, 02:55:52 PM

Everyone said the same about WoW.

I still say it about WoW.

I'm sure this will sell gangbusters also.
schild
Administrator

Reply #868 on: October 21, 2008, 02:56:11 PM

Bioware doesn't write a good story in any case.

What the fuck? Seriously.
To be fair, the last time they wrote a good story was when Black Isle was still around.
Tige
Terracotta Army

Reply #869 on: October 21, 2008, 02:57:11 PM

That include the HAM bar as well?
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #870 on: October 21, 2008, 02:57:30 PM

We're all going to be orphans with MYSTERIOUS PASTS.

It's like every server is a RP server!

God Save the Horn Players
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #871 on: October 21, 2008, 02:58:05 PM

SWG would have been perfectly fine as "Generic worldy sci-fi mmog". It sucked as a Star Wars game.

I, and many others i am sure, would disagree. But we have had this conversation. Needless to say, i am disappointed that we have yet another Diku/wow/etc.. to look forward to.

That include the HAM bar as well?

Yes.

Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #872 on: October 21, 2008, 03:00:32 PM

Discussions about SWG are like family quarrels.  Can't we all just say grace and enjoy our freshly baked new turkey?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #873 on: October 21, 2008, 03:00:57 PM

Discussions about SWG are like family quarrels.  Can't we all just say grace and enjoy our freshly baked new turkey?

Yep. Grace.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #874 on: October 21, 2008, 03:01:42 PM

Bleh.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 29 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bioware Austin.. damm more Dragons.. or Lightsabers?  
Jump to: